Latest Updates:
Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6
Topic Tools
Very Hot Topic (More than 25 Replies) New Grünfeld Book: The Safest Grünfeld (Read 68178 times)
BlkSabb

I love ChessPublishing.com!

Re: New Grünfeld Book: The Safest Grünfeld
Reply #47 - 05/11/11 at 18:14:26
Post Tools
I just ordered it from Chesscafe since they have Media Mail shipping now.  I normally would never consider paying this much for a chess book but this one appears to be worth it.

IP Logged

ErictheRed
God Member

USCF National Master

Reply #46 - 05/08/11 at 05:20:05
Post Tools
I just got my copy today and it looks great!  I guess I'm ready to start learning to play the Grunfeld; it's time I switched from the Dutch and Slav.

IP Logged

Keano
God Member

Money doesn't talk, it
swears.

Reply #45 - 05/07/11 at 23:43:56
Post Tools
Lots of stuff here - on the "Safest" Gruenfeld - ridiculous title and very dissappointed they choose the old-fashioned ...Qc7 lines instead of 10...Na5 which is the main revolution in the Gruenfeld at the minute. Having said that Delchev is bound to be interesting, even if he does analyse out rook and opposite coloured bishop endings to the point where kibitzers and audience will drop off.

On Avrukh - 2 volumes really? Not a big deal for me but strange.

Agree with others Gruenfeld is in good shape now, if I wasnt so lazy I'd learn it and play it.

IP Logged

ghenghisclown
God Member

Pedicare Vestri Latin

Reply #44 - 05/06/11 at 07:04:49
Post Tools
ANOTHER BOOK SPLIT? You've got to be kidding me!

"Experience is a dim lamp, which only lights the one who bears it."

IP Logged

Mortal Games
God Member

Reply #43 - 05/04/11 at 15:14:52
Post Tools
Quote:
I read at Quality Chess' blog that Avrukh's Grunfeld book will be in fact a 2 volume work! The editors received 700 pages or more, so it would be logical to split it in two volumes.

Great news! I was expecting this with a big opening like the Grunfeld. Now I am happy, because I order it and will receive two volumes for the price of one.  Smiley
And with some sugestions of anti-indians maybe the books can grow even more!  Cheesy

It has been said that chess players are good at two things, Chess and Excuses.  It has also been said that Chess is where all excuses fail! In order to win you must dare to fail!

IP Logged

BlkSabb

I love ChessPublishing.com!

Reply #42 - 05/04/11 at 04:51:22
Post Tools
fling wrote on 05/03/11 at 20:25:48:
Paddy wrote on 05/03/11 at 19:00:39:
fling wrote on 05/03/11 at 14:41:59:
Laramonet wrote on 05/03/11 at 07:46:56:
Can anybody tell me if the Safest Grunfeld and / or the planned Quality Chess two volumes cover d4 without c4, as well as 1.Nf3 and 1.c4 ? That is, do they provide a complete black repertoire against 1.d4 / 1.c4 / 1.Nf3 ? Many thanks.

IIRC (don't have the book here right now), they don't present anything against 1.d4 without c4. It is not a complete repertoire in that sense. The book is pretty packed anyway!

In fact most reasonable Anti-Gruenfeld lines are covered briefly in TSG, including the annoying Barry Attack.

Since Chess Stars have been kind enough to provide a pdf of the contents, why not check it out?

http://www.chess-stars.com

Sorry, I missed that they actually cover the Barry attack. I haven't gotten so far in the book, and it is really a small note (on page 341, not 339, as mentioned in the index). Nothing on the Tromp, Colle or London as far as I can tell.

This was a major selling point with the book for me.  For a $30 book that advertised that it contained this, I was expecting it to have good coverage.  I might reconsider getting this book now.

IP Logged

Gilchrist is a legend
God Member

Reply #41 - 05/04/11 at 02:35:59
Post Tools
I would not very much require the book to have coverage of the 1. d4 sidelines without c4 (viz. Trompowsky, Colle, Torre, Veresov, etc.) since the book is already large enough already at 348 pages. I am grateful that the book covers the "English Anti-Grünfeld" since this is a non-Grünfeld line that is probably not a true sideline from the point of view of a repertoire, and it has been quite critical for grandmaster praxis in recent years (I myself have struggled against 1. c4 trying to utilise the Grünfeld setup for a while). It seems from the Table of Contents that the majority of the material has been devoted to extensive coverage of the actual Grünfeld, of which a book that had such coverage in the form of a repertoire has been highly necessary in these times (especially for us Grünfeld players Smiley). Coverage of 1. d4 without 2. c4 sidelines would require a book of its own due to the high number of such lines, and there already are books such as Dembo's. And then of course there is the Quality Chess GM Repertoire book that Avrukh is going to write on 1. d4 sidelines to eventually complement his two-volume Grünfeld work...

Creo lo que creo no importa lo que creen los demás.

IP Logged

fling
God Member

I Love ChessPublishing!

Reply #40 - 05/03/11 at 20:25:48
Post Tools
Paddy wrote on 05/03/11 at 19:00:39:
Can anybody tell me if the Safest Grunfeld and / or the planned Quality Chess two volumes cover d4 without c4, as well as 1.Nf3 and 1.c4 ? That is, do they provide a complete black repertoire against 1.d4 / 1.c4 / 1.Nf3 ? Many thanks.

IIRC (don't have the book here right now), they don't present anything against 1.d4 without c4. It is not a complete repertoire in that sense. The book is pretty packed anyway!

In fact most reasonable Anti-Gruenfeld lines are covered briefly in TSG, including the annoying Barry Attack.

Since Chess Stars have been kind enough to provide a pdf of the contents, why not check it out?

Sorry, I missed that they actually cover the Barry attack. I haven't gotten so far in the book, and it is really a small note (on page 341, not 339, as mentioned in the index). Nothing on the Tromp, Colle or London as far as I can tell.

IP Logged

Paddy
God Member

The truth will out!

Reply #39 - 05/03/11 at 19:00:39
Post Tools

IP Logged

ErictheRed
God Member

USCF National Master

Reply #38 - 05/03/11 at 18:23:29
Post Tools

As far as I know, Avrukh is going to write a Black repertoire book on the "1.d4 deviations" which will be part of the Grandmaster Repertoire series. 

I think Avrukh's material on the Grunfeld grew too large for one volume, so I speculate that he will have two volumes devoted to Grunfeld and anti-Grunfeld stuff (1.Nf3 Nf6 2.c4 g6 3.Nc3 d5, for instance) and then a third, separate volume on stuff like the Trompowsky, London, Colle, etc.  So that would mean that you would need to buy 3 of the Grandmaster Repertoire volumes to have all non-1.e4 tries covered, but I'm not sure.

IP Logged

fling
God Member

I Love ChessPublishing!

Reply #37 - 05/03/11 at 14:41:59
Post Tools

IP Logged

Tullius

I Love ChessPublishing!

Reply #36 - 05/03/11 at 12:34:50
Post Tools
To "The Safest Grünfeld"

Part 13 deals with "early deviations".

"This part aims to serve you as a guide in some of the most popular Anti-Grünfeld systems. It cannot presend a full move-by-move repertoire as we should have dealt then with a good half of theory of closed openings."

Note: 1. d4 Nf6 2. c4 g6 3. f3 is covered in an other part of the book like some SOS-systems.

1. c4 / 1.Nf3

"In principle, the most challenging retorts to 1. c4 should be 1. ... c5 or 1. ... e5!"

Basically they examine some important lines and give you an idea how to play as Black and develop your own repertoire when you really want play some kind of Grünfeld in these situations.

IP Logged

Laramonet

Gwyddbwll am byth !

Reply #35 - 05/03/11 at 07:46:56
Post Tools

IP Logged

topandkas

I Love ChessPublishing!

Reply #34 - 05/01/11 at 12:16:40
Post Tools
@BPaulsen: Thanks a lot for the inspiration. How did you come to be a second, a personal friend of yours or? Its nice to see that some people in here seem very dedicated and even fairly decent players themselves. I believe Im not too shabby a player myself but some people in here are publishing books, seconding world class GMs etc. Really impressive stuff!

IP Logged

TN
God Member

Reply #33 - 05/01/11 at 09:10:04
Post Tools
Gilchrist is a legend wrote on 05/01/11 at 07:29:12:
This is some good news. I am already reading The Safest Grünfeld and am enjoying the amount of detail in this book. I shall also anticipate the new two-volume GM Repertoire Grünfeld 8 and 9 series. It seems as if everyone will now be winning with the Grünfeld in their games. Smiley

No, I will be winning against it.  Grin

All our dreams come true if we have the courage to pursue them.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6
Topic Tools
Bookmarks: del.icio.us Digg Facebook Google Google+ Linked in reddit StumbleUpon Twitter Yahoo