Latest Updates:
Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 2 [3] 
Topic Tools
Very Hot Topic (More than 25 Replies) Any opinions on Igor Smirnov's training courses? (Read 52697 times)
Blue Flaneur
YaBB Newbies

I Love ChessPublishing!

Re: Any opinions on Igor Smirnov's training courses?
Reply #6 - 06/21/11 at 02:54:46
Post Tools
I think Smirnov's courses are amazing. In my opinion they are the best chess courses ever made. Some of my chess acquaintances don't think much of him at all. They say things like, "he's good but I don't see what is so special about him."

I feel like I am going to be a grandmaster in the next two years using his teachings as the foundation of my game.

The greatest thing about Smirnov is his advertising tactics. It's so over the top and sometimes the videos look kinda cheesy so I know lots of players won't take him seriously. What he teaches could save patzers from a life of understanding nothing. I was once one of those patzers but now I know how I need to improve (make my thinking process automatic, fashion a nice, sleek algorithm, and kill fools in the endgame).

I am glad he isn't popular or publishing books because his info is so good and useful that I don't want my competition to have it.

IP Logged

trw
YaBB Moderator

I Love ChessPublishing!

Reply #5 - 06/21/11 at 02:07:01
Post Tools
what is the mailing list/website?

IP Logged

Stigma
God Member

There is a crack in everything.

Reply #4 - 06/20/11 at 21:14:48
Post Tools
I went ahead and ordered "Self-taught Grandmaster" and I'm very happy with it so far. Smirnov really does try to combine insights from psychology and neuroscience with the best of the "Russian School of Chess".

The focus is very much on how to train to make particular skills a natural/automatic part of one's play. That requires practice more than passive reading/watching, and also focusing mostly on one skill at a time. I haven't gotten too far on this hard work yet... 

Such ideas are potentially very valuable since most of us here have lots of good chess material to study; the question is how to study it the right way to transform it into unconscious competence (the state where you can do something automatically, virtually without conscious effort).

So the product is good, though I still think Smirnov's marketing looks unnecessarily suspicious.

Improvement begins at the edge of your comfort zone. -Jonathan Rowson

IP Logged

Stigma
God Member

Reply #3 - 05/12/11 at 15:01:14
Post Tools
Thanks Alias, that was helpful.

It's useful to know what levels the courses are meant for, especially since it's very unclear just how close to Smirnov this jps7 (=Jai Prakash Singh?) character really is  Tongue The main Smirnov site doesn't give any info on levels directly.

It seems "An Endgame Expert" and "How to Beat Titled Players" would be most appropriate for my level.

I'm really of two minds here, since the marketing and reviews around the net look like your typical over-hyped internet scam, but most of what he says in his free videos and e-mail seems just right! Maybe I will just go ahead and order a course, and if I don't like it I'll find out if the money-back guarantee is for real.

IP Logged

Alias
God Member

Reply #2 - 05/12/11 at 10:52:55
Post Tools
It's difficult to write chess material for an audience of varying strength. Too easy material or too difficult material is not very useful.

While googling for information on these courses, I found this thread: http://rybkaforum.net/cgi-bin/rybkaforum/topic_show.pl?tid=20083 See post at Date 2011-04-10 02:49

It seems that some of the courses are for lower rated players.

Don't check me with no lightweight stuff.

IP Logged

chesswise
YaBB Newbies

I Love ChessPublishing!

Reply #1 - 05/12/11 at 09:23:49
Post Tools
Stigma wrote on 05/10/11 at 16:20:14:
On the other hand, the marketing is over the top and the prices rather high, so the courses had better deliver what they promise!

They usually are and you won't know before you've bought them  Tongue I don't know anything about this course though so don't let me discourage you. Personally however, I would go for buying books instead as then you can flick through it before you buy it and see if its something that suits you.

IP Logged

Stigma
God Member

Any opinions on Igor Smirnov's training courses?
05/10/11 at 16:20:14
Post Tools
Has anybody tried any of the training courses GM Igor Smirnov sells (for download)?

I have subscribed to his mailing list for some time and the small videos and tips served there have been good. I'm also attracted to his claim to make use of insights from psychology and neuroscience, in addition to the best from "The Soviet School of Chess" and his own experience.

On the other hand, the marketing is over the top and the prices rather high, so the courses had better deliver what they promise! It's also suspiciously hard to find unbiased reviews on the net, instead I find entire "blogs" consisting almost entirely of "reviews" of Smirnov's courses, that are 100% positive.

So, could anybody who actually tried some of his courses give an honest review? Pros and cons? What levels are the various courses appropriate for?

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 2 [3] 
Topic Tools
Bookmarks: del.icio.us Digg Facebook Google Google+ Linked in reddit StumbleUpon Twitter Yahoo