Latest Updates:
Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2 3 
Topic Tools
Very Hot Topic (More than 25 Replies) new Dragon book (Read 43247 times)
bragesjo
God Member

CCE at ICCF 2021 and CCM
at ICCF 2023

Re: new Dragon book
Reply #40 - 03/01/12 at 12:24:34
Post Tools
This book was a bit tricky to get in Sweden since the Swedish primary chess shop does not apper to have it. I got my copy from a not only chess book shop  a few weeks ago, I have not had the time to read it yet.

IP Logged

flaviddude

I love ChessPublishing.com!

Reply #39 - 02/29/12 at 10:58:23
Post Tools
I bought my hard copy last night. It really meets my needs. I skimmed a few lines and everything that I saw looked good. For example it gives a way of avoiding the Chinese Dragon which was played against me by a correspondence GM in a fixed openings tournament. These days correspondence games can be downloaded from ICCF soon after they are completed so there is no excuse for authors to not look at them.

Another point is that this book deals really well with a line which usually arises as a transposition  from the accelerated dragon. As the book points out this line is not dealt with well in most books on the accelerated dragon or the full tilt dragon. Again I had a wild game in correspondence against a much higher rated opponent.

Buy this book.

I am hopelessly addicted to the King's Gambit

IP Logged

Ufuk
YaBB Newbies

I Love ChessPublishing!

Reply #38 - 01/01/12 at 14:39:18
Post Tools
happy new year!!!

did someone check this book?

i have it and look some lines. anyhow i miss deep analyzes

IP Logged

XChess1971

Born with a Dragon Book!

Reply #37 - 12/03/11 at 22:49:48
Post Tools
I just pre-ordered from the UK amazon website. It looks like it will out some time in December in Europe, and for February in the US I guess, based on the Everyman Chess website.

IP Logged

Ametanoitos
God Member

The road to success is
under construction

Reply #36 - 12/03/11 at 18:18:28
Post Tools
Obviously because it is not out yet!

IP Logged

XChess1971

Born with a Dragon Book!

Reply #35 - 12/03/11 at 02:39:07
Post Tools
For some reason amazon says.

Product Image      
Chess Developments: The Sicilian Dragon
by David Vigorito (Paperback)
Out of Print--Limited Availability.

Any ideas?

IP Logged

Dragan Glas

"If I, like Solomon, ...
could have my wish -
"

Reply #34 - 11/30/11 at 16:28:02
Post Tools
Greetings,

fluffy wrote on 11/30/11 at 14:34:57:
192 was the 'plan', but my books always go way over. A painter paints. 320 is correct.

Thank you, Mr. Vigorito.

Excellent - with a "proper" page-count, it'll be a Dragon book well-worth buying!

Kindest regards,

James

IP Logged

fluffy

International Master

Reply #33 - 11/30/11 at 14:34:57
Post Tools
192 was the 'plan', but my books always go way over. A painter paints. 320 is correct.

IP Logged

Chessguy

I Love ChessPublishing!

Reply #32 - 11/30/11 at 02:11:46
Post Tools
192 is the standard page count before Everyman realease. Therefore if Everyman homepage gives another page count usually that is the more updated one.

IP Logged

Dragan Glas

"If I, like Solomon, ...
could have my wish -
"

Reply #31 - 11/30/11 at 00:56:58
Post Tools
Greetings,

dfan wrote on 11/28/11 at 20:55:44:
Dragan Glas wrote on 11/28/11 at 18:29:49:
From the Everyman link, the number of pages is given as "320" but Amazon gives "192" - I aassume the latter is the correct one, if this series is similar to "Cutting Edge"?

Amazon.com says 320, and the index of the book (from the downloadable pages on the Everyman site) goes up to page 318, so 320 sounds right.

Thanks dfan.

Strange that the UK Amazon site says 192.

Kindest regards,

James

IP Logged

dfan
God Member

"When you see a bad move,
look for a better one"

Reply #30 - 11/28/11 at 20:55:44
Post Tools
Dragan Glas wrote on 11/28/11 at 18:29:49:
From the Everyman link, the number of pages is given as "320" but Amazon gives "192" - I aassume the latter is the correct one, if this series is similar to "Cutting Edge"?

Amazon.com says 320, and the index of the book (from the downloadable pages on the Everyman site) goes up to page 318, so 320 sounds right.

IP Logged

Dragan Glas

"If I, like Solomon, ...
could have my wish -
"

Reply #29 - 11/28/11 at 18:29:49
Post Tools
Greetings,

Also, from the extract, in diagram 12 - at first blush - 31..., d5 (with the idea of 32..., Qc7+) looked interesting but doesn't appear to work. Sad

Kindest regards,

James

IP Logged

tp2205

I Love ChessPublishing!

Reply #28 - 11/28/11 at 15:40:55
Post Tools
Markovich wrote on 11/27/11 at 18:06:32:
You must play at a higher level than I do.  I've had quite a few CC games decided by better prep, but essentially never OTB.

I don't play at all now. I haven't played real chess for over 20 years (except for some blitz on the net recently). The time I was talking about was the time when chessbase had just gotten started, NIC was still fairly new and chess programs were a joke. So 'normal' people just waited for the next chess informant to be up-to-date (meaning less than a year behind). Not knowing that the evaluation of a critical line changed from unclear to +-  or -+ (which did happen from time to time in the Polugaevsky variation) while your opponent did finished games rather quickly. Nowadays of course you can ask Houdini and friends to avoid the worst surprises.

IP Logged

tp2205

I Love ChessPublishing!

Reply #27 - 11/28/11 at 13:05:55
Post Tools
Gorath wrote on 11/28/11 at 12:46:13:
tp2205 wrote on 11/27/11 at 16:42:49:
I do for the most part. In days long past I played the Najdorf and against Bg5 the Polugaevsky variation. I don't remember ever having a real game with it (Be2, Bc4 and to a lesser degree f4 were what I faced most though.) I suspect the Dragon may be similar. Studying/analyzing the Polugaevsky variation was fun, but I cannot recall a real game with it where home preparation did not decide the game.

I don't understand the last sentence. Maybe theres a negation too many in it. Wink

I did have a few games with the Polugaevsky variation (but many more with 6.Be2,6.Bc4,etc.). Of those games all games that I can still recall were essentially over while one of the players was still following prepared lines.

IP Logged

Gorath

I Love ChessPublishing!

Reply #26 - 11/28/11 at 12:46:13
Post Tools
tp2205 wrote on 11/27/11 at 16:42:49:
MNb wrote on 11/27/11 at 16:18:22:
XChess1971 wrote on 11/27/11 at 03:56:34:
Does anybody agree with this guy's statement?

I do for the most part. In days long past I played the Najdorf and against Bg5 the Polugaevsky variation. I don't remember ever having a real game with it (Be2, Bc4 and to a lesser degree f4 were what I faced most though.) I suspect the Dragon may be similar. Studying/analyzing the Polugaevsky variation was fun, but I cannot recall a real game with it where home preparation did not decide the game.

I don't understand the last sentence. Maybe theres a negation too many in it. Wink

I can add anecdotal evidence too the same observation though. I've been playing the Semi-Slav for ca. 20-25 years now. Of course I'm no longer as active as I used to be, but still I got ca. 5 tournament games per year with it.
When did I get the last Meran? In the early 90s.
When did I get the last Botvinnik? 2 years ago and maybe every 2 years on average, but ...
when the last time a main line of the Botvinnik? In the early 90s.
What do my opponents play instead?
1.) QGD Exchange. Against Semi-Slav moveorder that's immediate equality.
2.) Anti-Meran with Qc2. Mostly all kinds of calm variations with b3 and e4. That's simply equal unless Karpov is white.
3.) Anti-Meran Shirov/Shabalov. Okay, this used to be dangerous, so I'll count it as a serious try for an advantage.
4.) Nowadays very popular: Early Qc2 lines, in the hope to avoid Meran & Noteboom and get into a closed Catalan if possible. Annoying stuff, but most players under 2200 don't know how to handle this as white, which renders it pretty harmless in their hands.
5.) All kinds of early deviations in the Botvinnik. Not critical.

Things were even worse in the RL Marshall. The only problem with it at amateur level is that you never get it. 99% of the white players are simply afraid of it.

My observation is that players up to 2000 level, with the exception of junior players on the way up, will generally be happy to somehow get a playable position and make it out of the opening alive if facing a very aggressive opening. They'll virtually never go down the critical path.
Which leads to positive qualities for the Dragon and Acc. Dragon: Everything except the Yugoslav and the main lines of the Acc. Dragon is quite harmless from a theoretical perspective. An experienced black player can play confidently for a win, knowing he is already equal.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2 3 
Topic Tools
Bookmarks: del.icio.us Digg Facebook Google Google+ Linked in reddit StumbleUpon Twitter Yahoo