Latest Updates:
Hot Topic (More than 10 Replies) The Slav: Move by Move (Read 18126 times)
gwnn

Re: The Slav: Move by Move
Reply #15 - 09/02/11 at 21:00:47
Post Tools
I got this book a week ago. I like the informal tone of the author, but it does sometimes get too goofy. Also the layout is very odd, it is a huge book, big pages with thick paper. One column layout with big diagrams. Well I should have seen this from the online preview but it's different when it's in my hands.

One thing I don't understand is game 2. You can see the analysis for yourself as it's in the preview. The game in question is Topalov-Kramnik 2006 Elista game 2. None of Kramnik's first 30 moves is noted as "?" or "?!" and no clear improvements are offered by Lakdawala.
16 .. Bxd3 is noted as "!?" and he shows two lines with 16.. Rc8 instead, one in black's favour and one where black should hold, however he doesn't say that this what you should play, or anything. So it would be nice if he said how to avoid this terrible onslaught.

IP Logged

Ametanoitos
God Member

The road to success is
under construction

Reply #14 - 07/30/11 at 15:39:03
Post Tools
Not very serious lines really to fix but from what i know there are plans by QC  Wink

IP Logged

LostTactic

I Love ChessPublishing!

Reply #13 - 07/30/11 at 14:14:44
Post Tools
Ametanoitos wrote on 07/30/11 at 13:31:27:
Yes, there is an improvement over Avrukh lines that has been played quite a lot (i think!) in recent years. It is an ...Be6 move. Sorry i don't have with me now the book and i don't remember the move order details. The idea in general is to play:

-> ...Bg4 after White's Bd3
-> ...Be6 after White's Be2 and
-> ...a quick ...c5 idea against White's Qb3 (before Bf1 moves)

This is all that i remember. Anyway, i hope that this book will give us new material to discuss.

Will there be a update for Avrukh's book to fix these lines?

IP Logged

fling
God Member

I Love ChessPublishing!

Reply #12 - 07/30/11 at 14:11:57
Post Tools
Thx, Ametanoitos! I'll have a look at it.

IP Logged

Ametanoitos
God Member

The road to success is
under construction

Reply #11 - 07/30/11 at 13:31:27
Post Tools
Yes, there is an improvement over Avrukh lines that has been played quite a lot (i think!) in recent years. It is an ...Be6 move. Sorry i don't have with me now the book and i don't remember the move order details. The idea in general is to play:

-> ...Bg4 after White's Bd3
-> ...Be6 after White's Be2 and
-> ...a quick ...c5 idea against White's Qb3 (before Bf1 moves)

This is all that i remember. Anyway, i hope that this book will give us new material to discuss.

IP Logged

fling
God Member

I Love ChessPublishing!

Reply #10 - 07/28/11 at 21:35:50
Post Tools
Ametanoitos wrote on 07/28/11 at 17:41:37:
In general in White plays e3 closing the Bc1 i think that the Slechter aproach is OK. Anyway, i'm waiting to see the athor's ideas...

Do you have any improvements on Avrukh's lines? I think that 3. Nc3 dxc4 is not too bad for Black, not worse than the Schlechter, just different.

IP Logged

Ametanoitos
God Member

The road to success is
under construction

Reply #9 - 07/28/11 at 17:41:37
Post Tools
tracke wrote on 06/24/11 at 10:53:15:
I donīt like the form of presentation but probably itīs designed for other people than me.

Itīs interesting to notice Lakdawalaīs rep choices after 1.d4 d5 2.c4 c6 3.e3 (see p.11, intro)
"I recommend the lines 3...Nf6 4 Nc3 a6, and 3...Nf6 4 Nf3 Bf5"
Donīt like this and donīt understand it - whatīs wrong with "a pure open slav approach" and
3.e3 Bf5! or 3.Nc3 dxc4! ?? Why learning so much a6 slav theory (with a quite different, imo
more sophisticated philosophy)? The only advantage may be 1.c4 c6 2.Nc3 (2.Nf3 d5 3.e3 Bg4!)
d5 3.e3 Nf6 4.Nf3 a6! But I would call it wrong to adjust a core point of my anti-d4-rep to a rare
white flank opening sideline. It would be less work to play 1.c4 e5/c5 as Lakdawala has to deal with
1.d4 d5 2.c4 c6 3.e3 Nf6 4.Nc3 a6 and now 5.cxd5, 5.Nf3, 5.c5 and 5.Qc2 .

tracke  Smiley

This is probably because after 1.d4 d5 2.c4 c6 3.Nc3 dxc4?! leads to some advantage for White and Markovich can confirm this by specific lines. On the other hand 3...Nf6 4.e3 Bf5 is also considered in White's favour but not much. My choice always has been 4...g6 which meets also the problem of the transposition from the English line. In general in White plays e3 closing the Bc1 i think that the Slechter aproach is OK. Anyway, i'm waiting to see the athor's ideas...

IP Logged

e4d6
YaBB Newbies

Reply #8 - 07/28/11 at 08:34:21
Post Tools
I went throught the excerpt and for me (ELO 2050) the format is ok. I assume for stronger players it is maybe to basic. I liked also Sadlers introductury work.
Vigus book is certainly good, but for me the amount of variations with little strategic explanations is hard to work throught and - this is the main problem - very difficult to remember.

IP Logged

ErictheRed
God Member

USCF National Master

Reply #7 - 06/24/11 at 22:37:09
Post Tools
Really Tracke, I don't think it's fair to criticise too much based on only a few pages.  Don't you want to hear the author's reasons for recommending those lines (I presume he discusses them in Chapter 6)?  Criticise the layout, the prose, the analysis you can see, etc., but leave it at that until you know the author's reasoning.

IP Logged

tracke

Introite tam etiam ibi
dei sunt

Reply #6 - 06/24/11 at 10:53:15
Post Tools
I donīt like the form of presentation but probably itīs designed for other people than me.

Itīs interesting to notice Lakdawalaīs rep choices after 1.d4 d5 2.c4 c6 3.e3 (see p.11, intro)
"I recommend the lines 3...Nf6 4 Nc3 a6, and 3...Nf6 4 Nf3 Bf5"
Donīt like this and donīt understand it - whatīs wrong with "a pure open slav approach" and
3.e3 Bf5! or 3.Nc3 dxc4! ?? Why learning so much a6 slav theory (with a quite different, imo
more sophisticated philosophy)? The only advantage may be 1.c4 c6 2.Nc3 (2.Nf3 d5 3.e3 Bg4!)
d5 3.e3 Nf6 4.Nf3 a6! But I would call it wrong to adjust a core point of my anti-d4-rep to a rare
white flank opening sideline. It would be less work to play 1.c4 e5/c5 as Lakdawala has to deal with
1.d4 d5 2.c4 c6 3.e3 Nf6 4.Nc3 a6 and now 5.cxd5, 5.Nf3, 5.c5 and 5.Qc2 .

tracke  Smiley

IP Logged

Arcticmonkey

Russell Peters ftw

Reply #5 - 06/23/11 at 14:59:37
Post Tools
Yea ur right Stigma, i realised the Nunn had done this, since ive read Understanding Chess Move by Move! and its on my bookcase!
Still, i think as was pointed out by MNb, hes taken it a little too far.

Am i the only one that thinks that puzzles should be put in an opening book? like Sveshnikov!? Although, i dont intend playing 1.e4 as white or the sicilian again as black, still think its a mad idea.

IP Logged

MNb
God Member

Rudolf Spielmann forever

Reply #4 - 06/22/11 at 23:11:10
Post Tools
Though I do not intend to buy the book you'll have my two SRD.
The criticism of Arctic Monkey doesn't seem entirely justified to me. Sure, the questions are a bit artificial, especially compared to Sadler's, but the remarks all look relevant to me. I hardly found any chit chat.
What bugs me is that Lakdawala takes the concept too far. Sadler doesn't. He stops at the early middlegame and hardly gives notes afterwards. That makes sense in an opening book, as amateurs will not likely repeat 30 moves of the games. Probably this is the reason Sadler's book is much thinner.
On the positive side the reader gets some middlegame and endgame training too.

The book had the effect good books usually have: it made the stupids more stupid, the intelligent more intelligent and the other thousands of readers remained unchanged.
GC Lichtenberg

IP Logged

ErictheRed
God Member

USCF National Master

Reply #3 - 06/22/11 at 22:36:16
Post Tools
Actually, the extract seems quite good to me.  It looks somewhat like Sadler's QGD book, though more conversational.  I could be biased because I think Cyrus is a great guy, but it looks good to me.  I bet it will also have a fair bit of original analysis (though nothing like a Grandmaster Repertoire book).  Cyrus told me that he's disclosing all of his notes on a particular line that Tony Miles and he played and collaborated on, for instance. 

Here's a link: http://www.everymanchess.com/chess/books/The_Slav%3A_Move_by_Move

IP Logged

slates
God Member

Reply #2 - 06/22/11 at 22:23:29
Post Tools
I must admit, I cancelled my pre-order for this title once I'd seen the extract.  I'm sure it has a market, though, and I don't pretend to be 'better' than the players it seems to be targeting; on the contrary, I'm weak in many areas, but the style and content simply doesn't appeal to me. I still hope the book does well, but I have too many other chessbooks on my shelf, vying for attention, that appeal more to me, and that includes the Vigus, Sadler and Vigorito Slav collective.

IP Logged

Stigma
God Member

There is a crack in everything.

Reply #1 - 06/22/11 at 20:24:01
Post Tools
Maybe you have mixed up different forms of presentation here.

Presenting a game with questions on most moves and a scoring system is known as "solitaire chess" or "guess the move", or "how good is your chess" in the Daniel King (and earlier Leonard Barden) case.

"Move by Move" rather makes me think of books like "Grandmaster Chess Move by Move" (Nunn), "Understanding Chess Move by Move" (Nunn) and "Logical Chess Move by Move" (Chernev). Their main selling point is to have a comment (preferably an instructive one rather than reams of variations) after every move.

Improvement begins at the edge of your comfort zone. -Jonathan Rowson

IP Logged

Arcticmonkey

Russell Peters ftw

The Slav: Move by Move
06/22/11 at 18:15:36
Post Tools
Hi has anyone read the new pdf free extracts of this book on the everyman site?? I have and tbh i dont really like it that much.

Does anyone else feel the same way?? Here are the basic reasons why i dont like it:
1. Is it really even 'Move by Move' like the format Daniel King pioneered? Doesn't look like it, which is what i was expecting. As in, there doesnt appear to be a scoring system.

2.How long was one game,,, 15 pages?? jeez thats very long! it makes me wonder how much information is actually in these 416 pages. Dont get me wrong, im not someone who thinks every book should be like Grandmaster Repertoire 22. 1.a3! or whatever, but that is a lot of explanation. Some (imo) unecessary since i thought it was an opening book not and opening-endgame one.

3.Does anyone really like Lakdawala's little dot point summary's in random positions? i think their random and even worse, random.

Ok maybe im being too harsh. His explanations are good and all (i wanted tests! like DK Move by Move), but this has soured my hopes for what i thought could be an extremely good idea for a book. I want a point system and dont want the games to last a novel a piece!

IP Logged

Bookmarks: del.icio.us Digg Facebook Google Google+ Linked in reddit StumbleUpon Twitter Yahoo