I want to see more quality posts by IM/GMs    
  22 (21.4%)
The Forum is fine as it is    
  24 (23.3%)

Total votes: 103
« Last Modified by: GMTonyKosten on: 07/20/11 at 11:00:35 »
Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6
Topic Tools
Very Hot Topic (More than 25 Replies) ChessPub Forum – the way forward. (Read 45002 times)
GMTonyKosten
YaBB Administrator

Mr Dynamic?

Re: ChessPub Forum – the way forward.
Reply #46 - 07/17/11 at 11:36:59
Post Tools
dom wrote on 07/17/11 at 07:44:43:
@GMTonyKosten:I am beginner with Yabb..but..a mod like ThreadHeader is not enough to add header to thread ? 

Sounds like a good idea, I will download and install it. Wink

IP Logged

dom
God Member

Reply #45 - 07/17/11 at 07:44:43
Post Tools
@GMTonyKosten:I am beginner with Yabb..but..a mod like ThreadHeader is not enough to add header to thread ?  (just google  "ThreadHeader" to find webpage of this mod Yabb)

Quote:
Description: With this mod, moderators and admins have the option of adding a header to each thread individually, containing any relevent infomation to that thread.
These information headers can contain html and ubbc tags, and have an optional title.

“Learn from the mistakes of others. You can never live long enough to make them all yourself.”  - Groucho Marx

IP Logged

dom
God Member

Reply #44 - 07/17/11 at 07:26:31
Post Tools
@GM TonyKosten: .. OK ... let me now when experiment finished

@SF: yes, I see in ... "C36 King's Gambit/Modern Var." in the "Subject field"   (maybe you can reverse like suggested by Tony and same form that updates titles: "King's Gambit/Modern [C36]"

I have ECO opening names from one Perl module (Chess_PGN_EPD) I downloaded from CPAN (I am working to code one graphical software tool to show opening variations as a map centered on starting position)....but I am not sure this file is uptodate.

ECO.txt file

"CODE","FEN"
"E38*","r1b1kbnr/ppq1pppp/2n5/1Bpp4/2P5/4PN2/PP1P1PPP/RNBQK2R b KQkq -"
"B73","r1bqk2r/pp2ppbp/2np1np1/8/3NP3/2N1B3/PPP1BPPP/R2Q1RK1 b kq -"
"D46","r1bqkb1r/pp1n1ppp/2p1pn2/3p4/2PP4/2NBPN2/PP3PPP/R1BQK2R b KQkq -"
"B90*","r1bqkb1r/ppp2ppp/2n5/3np3/8/P2P1N2/1P2PPPP/RNBQKB1R b KQkq -"
"C67","r1bqkb1r/pppp1ppp/2n5/1B2p3/4n3/5N2/PPPP1PPP/RNBQ1RK1 w kq -"

Opening.txt file:

"CODE","FEN"
"Ruy Lopez: closed, Balla variation","r1b1k2r/2q1bppp/p2p1n2/npp1p3/P2PP3/2P2N2/1PB2PPP/RNBQR1K1 b kq -"
"Scotch: Meitner variation","r1b1k2r/ppppnppp/2n2q2/2b5/4P3/2P1B3/PPN2PPP/RN1QKB1R b KQkq -"
"KP: Nimzovich defense, Marshall gambit","r1b1kbnr/ppp1pppp/2n5/3q4/3P4/2N5/PPP2PPP/R1BQKBNR b KQkq -"
"QGD: Albin counter-gambit, Balogh variation","r1b1kbnr/ppp1qppp/2n5/4P3/2Pp4/5N2/PP1NPPPP/R1BQKB1R w KQkq -"
"Evans gambit declined, Cordel variation","r1bqk1nr/pppp1ppp/1bn5/4p3/1PB1P3/5N2/PBPP1PPP/RN1QK2R b KQkq -"

NIC.txt file:

"CODE","FEN"
"NI 22*","r1b1kbnr/ppq1pppp/2n5/1Bpp4/2P5/4PN2/PP1P1PPP/RNBQK2R b KQkq -"
"KI 63","r1bq1rk1/pp1n1pbp/2pp1np1/4p3/2PPP3/2N2NP1/PP3PBP/R1BQ1RK1 w - -"
"KI 7*","r1bq1rk1/pp1nbppp/2n5/2p1p3/3pP3/3P1NP1/PPP1NPBP/R1BQ1RK1 w - -"
"EO 26*","r1bq1rk1/pp2ppbp/2n3p1/2pn4/8/2N2NP1/PP1PPPBP/R1BQ1RK1 w - -"
"KI 62*","r1bq1rk1/pp3pb1/2n2npp/2ppp3/4P3/2PP1NP1/PP1N1PBP/R1BQ1RK1 w - -"

“Learn from the mistakes of others. You can never live long enough to make them all yourself.”  - Groucho Marx

IP Logged

Smyslov_Fan
YaBB Moderator
Correspondence fan

Progress depends on the
unreasonable man. ~GBS

Reply #43 - 07/17/11 at 03:12:00
Post Tools
I'm experimenting with the C20-C59 section.

I'm currently adding the code to the beginning of subject. I find that easy to see without being too obtrusive.

It would be nice if there were an ECO code box for thread authors to use in addition to the subject.

IP Logged

GMTonyKosten
YaBB Administrator

Mr Dynamic?

Reply #42 - 07/16/11 at 23:25:02
Post Tools
dom wrote on 07/16/11 at 21:00:06:
- where (in thread) and how to add the ECO tag ?

Good question! I think it would have to be at the end of the title in the very first post for each thread (unless anyone has any better ideas?). I will have a little experiment first.

dom wrote on 07/16/11 at 21:00:06:
- how much time to do this work ?

Quite a lot, there is no particular rush. Smiley

IP Logged

dom
God Member

Reply #41 - 07/16/11 at 21:00:06
Post Tools
GMTonyKosten wrote on 07/16/11 at 12:28:36:
However, I am open to offers if anyone wants a free sub? Wink

I can do the work for the French forum, but for one good  result can you answer these questions:

- where (in thread) and how to add the ECO tag ?
- how much time to do this work ?

I have ended my disastrous games and back to work from now then I have spare time in the evening and week-end to do it.

I can add too, moves order to reach the critical ECO position (I have Bookup software for that)....only need some more time.

IP Logged

GMTonyKosten
YaBB Administrator

Mr Dynamic?

Reply #40 - 07/16/11 at 12:28:36
Post Tools
Stefan Buecker wrote on 07/05/11 at 23:36:10:
Seriously, the main talent of such a IM or whatever would not be the high Elo, but the willingness to share analyses, and no overly fear of "giving away secrets". They might just as well LEARN new ideas here. Candidates can be found easily by leafing through NIC Yearbooks. Why not contact the creative Nadanian (of GI Na4 fame), or Gajewski (RL Rb8), or Manuel Bellon, or... there are so many.

They would already raise the quality of the forum, if they'd send only one post per day. Even if some of their posts were short. An average payment of 3 Euro per post, max. 100 per month, for stars 5 Euro / max. 150 Euro per month perhaps. If they do more just for fun, even better. Unconvincing engagements could be stopped after a while.

With a forum fee, it would almost have the character of a (large) club. Not the same situation as if you share your posts with the entire internet for free.

Agreed.

Stefan Buecker wrote on 07/05/11 at 23:09:05:
Seems to be the kind of activity which you could better delegate to "assistant moderators" or "code officers" who would get free access in return, for a year or so. I mean, there are always newcomers to this forum who would perhaps enjoy to go through older threads systematically.

True, but I am not sure I would trust newcomers with Gobal Moderator powers. However, I am open to offers if anyone wants a free sub? Wink

IP Logged

Stefan Buecker
God Member

Reply #39 - 07/05/11 at 23:36:10
Post Tools
GMTonyKosten wrote on 07/05/11 at 22:30:49:
Maybe, but I imagine these younger, but very strong, players would probably expect quite a high payment in return for sharing their analysis. Which would imply making even more money from the Forum! Sad
Even getting a few good IMs and average GMs to contribute should make the discussions more interesting.
Hopefully the members will be able to refrain from chasing them off, as has happened in the past! Roll Eyes

Superstars are not resilient enough, anyway, to withstand the pressure of this forum!  Roll Eyes

Seriously, the main talent of such a IM or whatever would not be the high Elo, but the willingness to share analyses, and no overly fear of "giving away secrets". They might just as well LEARN new ideas here. Candidates can be found easily by leafing through NIC Yearbooks. Why not contact the creative Nadanian (of GI Na4 fame), or Gajewski (RL Rb8), or Manuel Bellon, or... there are so many.

They would already raise the quality of the forum, if they'd send only one post per day. Even if some of their posts were short. An average payment of 3 Euro per post, max. 100 per month, for stars 5 Euro / max. 150 Euro per month perhaps. If they do more just for fun, even better. Unconvincing engagements could be stopped after a while.

With a forum fee, it would almost have the character of a (large) club. Not the same situation as if you share your posts with the entire internet for free.

IP Logged

Stefan Buecker
God Member

Reply #38 - 07/05/11 at 23:09:05
Post Tools
GMTonyKosten wrote on 07/05/11 at 22:24:13:
I might have to 'bite the bullet' one day and go through all the old threads myself adding ECO codes (or something else) where necessary. I suppose I might need a few weeks free time for this, though! Sad

Seems to be the kind of activity which you could better delegate to "assistant moderators" or "code officers" who would get free access in return, for a year or so. I mean, there are always newcomers to this forum who would perhaps enjoy to go through older threads systematically.

IP Logged

GMTonyKosten
YaBB Administrator

Mr Dynamic?

Reply #37 - 07/05/11 at 22:30:49
Post Tools
GabrielGale wrote on 06/26/11 at 23:30:20:
A suggestion: Perhaps Tony can try to "entice" the younger/more junior GMs who are trying to establish their names/reputations to contribute to the forum? Some of these younger GMs are very concrete in their opening analyses and very enthusiastic as well. For example, Chessbase has Anish Giri, Chessdom had Fabiano Caruana contributing for a while to their discussion board and they also have GM Ipatov et al.

Maybe, but I imagine these younger, but very strong, players would probably expect quite a high payment in return for sharing their analysis. Which would imply making even more money from the Forum! Sad
Even getting a few good IMs and average GMs to contribute should make the discussions more interesting.
Hopefully the members will be able to refrain from chasing them off, as has happened in the past! Roll Eyes

IP Logged

GMTonyKosten
YaBB Administrator

Mr Dynamic?

Reply #36 - 07/05/11 at 22:24:13
Post Tools
Zwischenzugzwang wrote on 06/27/11 at 13:37:46:
I guess the tags you've mentioned are something like key words!? If there isn't a software internal possibility to tag a thread with keywords, anybody starting a new thread might give one or two reasonable key words in the thread's header (Stefan's suggestion about ECO codes has probably the same intention).

It would be in the "thread starter's" own interest to make the keywords as reasonable as possible, as that would increase the likelihood for that thread to be found and / or identified (and consequently commented).

The ECO code has the advantage that it is available to everybody who has internet access, but, as mentioned at different places, the whole system is dated. So another possibility were to use the taxonomy developed inside ChessPublishing - quite general ("1.d4 d5"), more detailed ("QGA"), or highly detailed ("QGA/2"). (Of course, as we don't want to exclude non-members from the forum, they would need a free access link somewhere to this taxonomy, which shouldn't take very long to develop (just copying it from the pdf-books.)

Concerning books, the key words might be author, title, maybe year of publication. Again: The better the key words are (spelling, completeness), the higher the likelihood of being found.

Yes, some bulletin boards allow the possibility of adding tags but this one doesn't seem to, or at least not yet. I might have to 'bite the bullet' one day and go through all the old threads myself adding ECO codes (or something else) where necessary. I suppose I might need a few weeks free time for this, though! Sad

IP Logged

GMTonyKosten
YaBB Administrator

Mr Dynamic?

Reply #35 - 07/05/11 at 22:18:40
Post Tools
WSS wrote on 07/05/11 at 16:05:52:
You are right, of course.  I've gone ahead and become your latest subscriber!

Smiley

IP Logged

WSS

I Love ChessPublishing!

Reply #34 - 07/05/11 at 16:05:52
Post Tools
GMTonyKosten wrote on 07/05/11 at 15:07:02:
WSS wrote on 07/05/11 at 13:19:49:
As a suggestion, would you consider a special "first time subscriber" offer where someone like me can try out a section (one time only) for a limited time (say 3 months) before purchasing a longer subscription?

Sounds complicated, but anyone can just subscribe to 1 section (a whole year for less than $20) anyway, and then upgrade if they like it. I don't think you can get many paper books for as little as that?

Regarding the forum user restrictions and fees, it seems to me that the forum has value in attracting new users which would not happen if it was closed.

I would hope so, although I often have my doubts about this when I see some of the posts.
Anyway the original question of this thread is 'where is the Forum going next?' I would like to have better quality contributions, a faster server, etc. and that needs money. Sad

You are right, of course.  I've gone ahead and become your latest subscriber!

IP Logged

GMTonyKosten
YaBB Administrator

Mr Dynamic?

Reply #33 - 07/05/11 at 15:07:02
Post Tools
As a suggestion, would you consider a special "first time subscriber" offer where someone like me can try out a section (one time only) for a limited time (say 3 months) before purchasing a longer subscription?

Sounds complicated, but anyone can just subscribe to 1 section (a whole year for less than $20) anyway, and then upgrade if they like it. I don't think you can get many paper books for as little as that?

Regarding the forum user restrictions and fees, it seems to me that the forum has value in attracting new users which would not happen if it was closed.

I would hope so, although I often have my doubts about this when I see some of the posts.
Anyway the original question of this thread is 'where is the Forum going next?' I would like to have better quality contributions, a faster server, etc. and that needs money. Sad

IP Logged

WSS

I Love ChessPublishing!

Reply #32 - 07/05/11 at 13:19:49
Post Tools
Tony, I'd like to add a few comments from the perspective of someone who is relatively new to the forum.  First of all, I'd like to thank you and the regular contributors for making this one of the few sites that I check daily and try to contribute to (when I have something to offer or a question to ask.)

Personally the site has been valuable to me because it has lifted me out of the "doldrums" of my local chess club and reinvigorated my interest in improving my opening theory.  To be candid, I've not yet subscribed because the money I've spent so far has been on buying selected chess books as I was not quite sure I was ready to make full use of information available to subscribers.  As a suggestion, would you consider a special "first time subscriber" offer where someone like me can try out a section (one time only) for a limited time (say 3 months) before purchasing a longer subscription?  To be clear, I would suggest that this be limited to one section only so it is not abused.

Regarding the forum user restrictions and fees, it seems to me that the forum has value in attracting new users which would not happen if it was closed.  I understand the "help me with my repertoire" question fatigue that some have expressed but it doesn't bother me because if a question doesn't interest me I don't have to read and respond.  What contributes to the problem (as you and others have stated) is that it is difficult and time consuming to find the duplicate entries.  Better search capabilities, improved organization of the content or a FAQ section as has been suggested might help.  However, each of these require some up front investment in administrative effort to make the improvements. 

Thanks again.  Smiley

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6
Topic Tools
Bookmarks: del.icio.us Digg Facebook Google Google+ Linked in reddit StumbleUpon Twitter Yahoo