I want to see more quality posts by IM/GMs    
  22 (21.4%)
The Forum is fine as it is    
  24 (23.3%)

Total votes: 103
« Last Modified by: GMTonyKosten on: 07/20/11 at 11:00:35 »
Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 6
Topic Tools
Very Hot Topic (More than 25 Replies) ChessPub Forum – the way forward. (Read 44990 times)
GMTonyKosten
YaBB Administrator

Mr Dynamic?

Re: ChessPub Forum – the way forward.
Reply #61 - 08/26/11 at 10:19:42
Post Tools
Jesse Gersenson wrote on 08/24/11 at 05:50:49:
I'd say that's a very risky move which doesn't improve your position much. You'd lose users - those who don't want change, don't want to relearn a new interface - especially so as they felt like experts on the old interface, etc.

Yes, that's almost certainly true, if we changed the new software would have to look and work almost exactly like the old one.
Still, 'nothing ventured nothing gained'?!

IP Logged

Jesse Gersenson

Piece value = Mobility
+ targets

Reply #60 - 08/24/11 at 05:50:49
Post Tools
GMTonyKosten wrote on 08/10/11 at 10:13:22:
Of course, any such move would cause a great deal of upheaval, but would the advantages outweigh the disadvantages? Undecided

I'd say that's a very risky move which doesn't improve your position much. You'd lose users - those who don't want change, don't want to relearn a new interface - especially so as they felt like experts on the old interface, etc.

Here's an example, yesterday at 8 pm I moved the download links on the komodochess.com site from the bottom of the homepage, to their own page. There's a huge button on the homepage which says 'Download' - i figured everyone could see it.

A few hours latter someone posts this online, "The site seems to be missing all the engines.  Is there an alternate download link for the engines?" Twenty minuets goes by and the same person writes, "oh nevermind.  All the engines/opening book were moved to a seperate page."

All forum packages have features missing. Adding tags and sub forums is a bad exchange for learnt usability.

IP Logged

GMTonyKosten
YaBB Administrator

Mr Dynamic?

Reply #59 - 08/10/11 at 10:13:22
Post Tools
I was thinking that we might have to consider changing the Forum software sometime soon.
Why? To add functions like tags and sub-boards, and to change from the current flat file system.
Currently YaBB development seems to have come to a standstill, their version 3 (which would have most things we need) is stuck in Beta. Sad
Of course, any such move would cause a great deal of upheaval, but would the advantages outweigh the disadvantages? Undecided

IP Logged

GMTonyKosten
YaBB Administrator

Mr Dynamic?

Reply #58 - 08/10/11 at 10:01:16
Post Tools
dom wrote on 08/03/11 at 21:05:42:
@Tony: job done (SF,MNb method: adding ECO code beginning of subject first post threads) for French forum..now tired  Tongue ...i will hibernate for some months  Cool

Great! Many thanks!! Smiley

IP Logged

dom
God Member

Reply #57 - 08/03/11 at 21:05:42
Post Tools
GMTonyKosten wrote on 07/16/11 at 23:25:02:
dom wrote on 07/16/11 at 21:00:06:
- where (in thread) and how to add the ECO tag ?

Good question! I think it would have to be at the end of the title in the very first post for each thread (unless anyone has any better ideas?). I will have a little experiment first.

dom wrote on 07/16/11 at 21:00:06:
- how much time to do this work ?

Quite a lot, there is no particular rush. Smiley

@Tony: job done (SF,MNb method: adding ECO code beginning of subject first post threads) for French forum..now tired  Tongue ...i will hibernate for some months  Cool

“Learn from the mistakes of others. You can never live long enough to make them all yourself.”  - Groucho Marx

IP Logged

GMTonyKosten
YaBB Administrator

Mr Dynamic?

Reply #56 - 07/23/11 at 15:53:21
Post Tools
Smyslov_Fan wrote on 07/22/11 at 17:16:26:
One thing that worries me slightly is that my example, E97-E99, would mean that if someone was searching for E98, they wouldn't pull up the references.

Yes, good point!

IP Logged

dom
God Member

Reply #55 - 07/23/11 at 09:07:03
Post Tools
Smyslov_Fan wrote on 07/22/11 at 17:16:26:
One thing that worries me slightly is that my example, E97-E99, would mean that if someone was searching for E98, they wouldn't pull up the references.

@SF: same worry for French forum...I have decided for adding "Cxx-Cyy" comment in subject thread for thread about variations with ECO between Cxx and Cyy..and  "Cxx,Cyy"  for variations with ECO code Cxx or Cyy. When off topic (for example: "comparing Caro Kan to French"...I add nothing)

I suppose at the end of thread ECO-quoting, I will add one "index thread" to URL-link to all threads. Can add name of variations and move orders too. Something like this:

Reverse colors or transpositions ("Chigorin", "Steiner", "KIA", "Schlechter", "Reti/Spielman", "Pelikan", "De La Bourdonnais"...)
A00
A08
A13
B02
B12
B20
B24
B26
B40
C42
C44
D20
D40
C00-C19
  llinks to all French defence sujects...like books "about the French" in general
   C00
      links only for C00 lines
   C01
   C02 "Advance"
   C15-C19
      links for all Winawer lines
      C15
            links for only C15 lines

I started another work for ECO-quoting and URL-linking of updates...with same idea.

“Learn from the mistakes of others. You can never live long enough to make them all yourself.”  - Groucho Marx

IP Logged

Smyslov_Fan
YaBB Moderator
Correspondence fan

Progress depends on the
unreasonable man. ~GBS

Reply #54 - 07/22/11 at 17:16:26
Post Tools

However, this is a rare occurrence for several reasons, and the fix (entering all the ECO codes) is just about completely unworkable. For instance, there could well be a thread on the Spanish asking for Black's best play after 1.e4 e5 2.Nf3 Nc6 3.Bb5 a6 4.Ba4. The ECO code for that thread would be C70-C99. It would be impossible to enumerate all the ECO codes in the subject.

IP Logged

GMTonyKosten
YaBB Administrator

Mr Dynamic?

Reply #53 - 07/21/11 at 19:57:05
Post Tools
Jesse Gersenson wrote on 07/21/11 at 08:26:01:
Is it better to tag posts with an ECO or just whole threads?

If tagging posts - seems possible to add a drop down box to the reply window just between Message Icon and Subject which said "ECO". 

I thought about a solution like this, but it would be very difficult to include the box in searches. Already I saw that they had a similar problem with trying to make a Sub-Boards Mod for YaBB 2.4: the Sub-Boards didn't get searched. As far as I see they never managed to solve this problem. Roll Eyes

IP Logged

Smyslov_Fan
YaBB Moderator
Correspondence fan

Progress depends on the
unreasonable man. ~GBS

Reply #52 - 07/21/11 at 18:26:20
Post Tools
Jesse,

I don't even want to think how much time it would take to tag individual posts with ECO code.

What's wrong with tagging a thread with the ECO code where applicable?  Is there something I'm missing about say, "E97-E99: Mar del Plata KID"?

Generally, if an individual post doesn't deal with the subject, chances are it's off topic anyway.

IP Logged

Jesse Gersenson

Piece value = Mobility
+ targets

Reply #51 - 07/21/11 at 08:26:01
Post Tools
Is it better to tag posts with an ECO or just whole threads?

If tagging posts - seems possible to add a drop down box to the reply window just between Message Icon and Subject which said "ECO". Not everyone would use it, but some would - reducing work and simplifying future overhauls.

does Yabb have a simple 'tag this post with keywords' feature? (tried googling this and ran into the problem that Yabb people use the word tag for something other than 'tagging a thread') This seems better than adding eco code to subject line as some threads will cover multiple eco numbers.

IP Logged

GMTonyKosten
YaBB Administrator

Mr Dynamic?

Reply #50 - 07/20/11 at 10:59:31
Post Tools
If I've missed an option please let me know and I will add it. Smiley

IP Logged

GMTonyKosten
YaBB Administrator

Mr Dynamic?

Reply #49 - 07/20/11 at 10:12:51
Post Tools
Smyslov_Fan wrote on 07/17/11 at 03:12:00:
I'm experimenting with the C20-C59 section.

I'm currently adding the code to the beginning of subject. I find that easy to see without being too obtrusive.

It would be nice if there were an ECO code box for thread authors to use in addition to the subject.

Looks good, and should be a big help.
To add an ECO code box is a good idea but would involve fiddling with the YaBB code, and is certainly beyond me.

IP Logged

dom
God Member

Reply #48 - 07/17/11 at 17:21:45
Post Tools
@GMTonyKosten: OK  (I understand that members must be able to do themselves copying in thread subject the variation name and ECO code...).

See: http://www.365chess.com/opening.php for online tool to search these data from raw moves.
I entered "1. e4 e6 2. Nf3 d5 3. e5 c5 4. b4 " and got the good answer "C00 French, Wing gambit"
or "1.e4 e6 2.d4 d5 3.Nd2 Nf6 4.e5 Nfd7 5.Bd3 c5 6.c3 Nc6 7.Ne2 cxd4 8.cxd4 f6 9.exf6 Nxf6 10.O-O Bd6 11.Nf3 Qc7 12.Bg5 O-O 13.Bh4 Nh5 14.Qc2 h6 15.Bh7+ Kh8 16.Bg6 Rxf3 17.Bxh5 Rf5 " and got "C06 French, Tarrasch, closed variation, main line"

Problem: I would have prefer to have script on chesspub forum (no need to register to another website)

IP Logged

GMTonyKosten
YaBB Administrator

Mr Dynamic?

Reply #47 - 07/17/11 at 12:29:38
Post Tools
GMTonyKosten wrote on 07/17/11 at 11:36:59:
Sounds like a good idea, I will download and install it. Wink

Looking at the files it seems it is only for Moderators, so members won't be able to add ECO codes themselves like this. Sad
I think we should stick with adding the ECO codes at the beginning of the post subject, like Smyslov_Fan's work on 1 e4 e5.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 6
Topic Tools
Bookmarks: del.icio.us Digg Facebook Google Google+ Linked in reddit StumbleUpon Twitter Yahoo