I want to see more quality posts by IM/GMs    
  22 (21.4%)
The Forum is fine as it is    
  24 (23.3%)

Total votes: 103
« Last Modified by: GMTonyKosten on: 07/20/11 at 11:00:35 »
Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 6
Topic Tools
Very Hot Topic (More than 25 Replies) ChessPub Forum – the way forward. (Read 44799 times)
GMTonyKosten
YaBB Administrator

Mr Dynamic?

Re: ChessPub Forum – the way forward.
Reply #76 - 07/06/12 at 09:45:09
Post Tools
TalJechin wrote on 07/05/12 at 09:44:07:
The "downside" is that managing the forum may become a full time job. Something you may not be interested in I suppose, given that you're already restricting new members to the forum...  Undecided

No, you're right, the Forum takes up a lot less of my time since I made it more difficult to register, and that suits me fine. Smiley

IP Logged

TalJechin
God Member

There is no secret ingredient.

Reply #75 - 07/05/12 at 09:44:07
Post Tools
Given that the chesspub visitors are likely to be males between say 15-50 - it could be a useful place for ads on beer, cars, deodorants Smiley etc. But then they would want to place video clips or interactive things and not only banners.

One solution could be to have a special section only for adverts - people get bored here too, so most of us would take a look and it would be indexed by google so the section would get hits from the outside too.

And while you're at it, why not add another section just for chess related ads? Could be anything from publishers of books, dvds etc to trainers looking for students, teams wanting to recruit new players, players selling off 2nd hand books, dvds etc.

If it's possible, even just a sub-site for selling off chess stuff, with the possibility for auctions could be quite interesting and then you could simply charge a few % from the sales made. The traffic on this site should at least make it worth a try. (something like www . ChessLund . com should definitely be possible, but with a much wider range of chess materials instead of just antique books.)

In short, regardless of the times there are always opportunities to be found or invented, but you must act to make them real. Keeping the site exactly as it is and expect pennies from heaven is not gonna happen. The "downside" is that managing the forum may become a full time job. Something you may not be interested in I suppose, given that you're already restricting new members to the forum...  Undecided

IP Logged

Hadron

Doctor, Doctor, Doctor..When
will you ever learn?

Reply #74 - 07/04/12 at 21:23:00
Post Tools
GMTonyKosten wrote on 07/04/12 at 13:11:48:
Hadron wrote on 07/03/12 at 22:51:03:
why not link in to the forum third person website where professional chess players can offer services to the membership....You could charge for the link?
- Surely there must be some chess related business or service out there in on the internet ocean and in the real world, you could advertise unobtusively for ?....(and by unobtusively, I mean perhaps having the log-in process to the forum on a seperate page and have all money making advertisements there

There doesn't seem to be that much money in online advertising at the moment, we used to get lots of proposals for the main site (but not the Forum), but that has dried up in the last couple of years.
I have added Google ads to one of the other sites (improveyourchess.com) to see whether that generates much in the way of income, but it seems to be a waste of time.
Also, I have a natural aversion to these popup ads that are so annoying on other sites.

I don't think there is much money around period given how the world economy is at the moment which is another reason I would prefer the forum to stay as it is. Once you start adding extra charges, people will start thing seriously if they can afford it not matter how small you might make it
Hadron

I'm reminded again of something Short wrote recently, approximately "The biggest fallacy in chess is the quasi-religious belief in the primacy of the opening."

IP Logged

GMTonyKosten
YaBB Administrator

Mr Dynamic?

Reply #73 - 07/04/12 at 13:11:48
Post Tools
Hadron wrote on 07/03/12 at 22:51:03:
why not link in to the forum third person website where professional chess players can offer services to the membership....You could charge for the link?
- Surely there must be some chess related business or service out there in on the internet ocean and in the real world, you could advertise unobtusively for ?....(and by unobtusively, I mean perhaps having the log-in process to the forum on a seperate page and have all money making advertisements there

There doesn't seem to be that much money in online advertising at the moment, we used to get lots of proposals for the main site (but not the Forum), but that has dried up in the last couple of years.
I have added Google ads to one of the other sites (improveyourchess.com) to see whether that generates much in the way of income, but it seems to be a waste of time.
Also, I have a natural aversion to these popup ads that are so annoying on other sites.

IP Logged

Hadron

Doctor, Doctor, Doctor..When
will you ever learn?

Reply #72 - 07/03/12 at 22:51:03
Post Tools
I was, at that time a year ago, a free member of the forum and left. I felt that it was now worth spending some cash with the chesspublishing.com site because not only of the theory available from the site but because of possible access to the forum. Personally I would like to see the forum stay as it is and as for moving forward, there must be a way of generating revenue without overly limiting access to members, potential or otherise, while in the search of funds....I dunno maybe...
- Chesspublishing.com and the forum itself surely must have a significant membership person, why not link in to the forum third person website where professional chess players can offer services to the membership....You could charge for the link?
- Surely there must be some chess related business or service out there in on the internet ocean and in the real world, you could advertise unobtusively for ?....(and by unobtusively, I mean perhaps having the log-in process to the forum on a seperate page and have all money making advertisements there)
Hadron

I'm reminded again of something Short wrote recently, approximately "The biggest fallacy in chess is the quasi-religious belief in the primacy of the opening."

IP Logged

Bibs
God Member

Reply #71 - 06/26/12 at 13:06:50
Post Tools
[quote author=4E4D4741200 link=1308866964/70#70 date=1340702263]A quite graceless comment from Anonymous3. John Watson may not post on the Forum, but he engages helpfully and conscientiously with ChessPubbers' questions in his updates. Surely it's possible to discuss the issue of whether ChessPub writers should contribute to the Forum without needlessly impugning anyone.[/quote]

Agree, the usual nonsense from A3. That someone could go out of his way to not be somewhere is a peculiar claim.

I have never been to San Jose, nor I have been to Turkmenistan. Doesn't mean I have been avidly avoiding doing so. Just...haven't.

A3 - try to be positive. Save the cowardly anonymous attacks for Youtube comments of bands you don't like. Or something.

IP Logged

Michael Ayton
God Member

‘You’re never alone with
a doppelgänger.’

Reply #70 - 06/26/12 at 09:17:43
Post Tools
A quite graceless comment from Anonymous3. John Watson may not post on the Forum, but he engages helpfully and conscientiously with ChessPubbers' questions in his updates. Surely it's possible to discuss the issue of whether ChessPub writers should contribute to the Forum without needlessly impugning anyone.

IP Logged

GMTonyKosten
YaBB Administrator

Mr Dynamic?

Reply #69 - 06/26/12 at 09:05:06
Post Tools
Anonymous3 wrote on 06/25/12 at 20:54:15:
Also, I like titled players like IM John Cox who post on the forum but what really bugs me is that people like IM John Watson seem to go out of there way to not post on the forum.

I guess one either enjoys giving one's opinion on a Forum, and seeing other peoples' opinions, or one doesn't.
John Watson is a busy guy who has to work very hard to make a decent living from chess, and has no real incentive to post here.
Eric Prié posted here quite a lot at one stage, but I remember he was chased off by an agressive Forum member!

IP Logged

Anonymous3

I Love ChessPublishing!

Reply #68 - 06/25/12 at 20:54:15
Post Tools
Did you really think many people were going to vote for the pay options?

Also, I like titled players like IM John Cox who post on the forum but what really bugs me is that people like IM John Watson seem to go out of there way to not post on the forum.

IP Logged

Bibs
God Member

Reply #67 - 10/15/11 at 11:32:04
Post Tools
Coffee mug for the staff room would be ideal.
Perhaps chesspub boxer shorts for special occasions.

Chess tshirt. Would prefer to walk around with 'tw@t' tattooed on my forehead.

IP Logged

Smyslov_Fan
YaBB Moderator
Correspondence fan

Progress depends on the
unreasonable man. ~GBS

Reply #66 - 10/14/11 at 14:42:14
Post Tools
Jesse, the Chesspub already does have a team participating in the ICCF!

Personally, I wouldn't be interested in a t-shirt, but a chesspub beer mug would be an amusing addition, especially if it's classy (like, say a Bass glass,  one of those iconic Guinness glasses or even a Stella Artois glass, not like one of the ceramic Bavarian beer steins that are ubiquitous in the homes of American GIs who were stationed in Germany in the 60s and 70s).

IP Logged

Jesse Gersenson

Piece value = Mobility
+ targets

Reply #65 - 10/14/11 at 09:43:53
Post Tools
Zatox wrote on 08/11/09 at 12:05:23:
Indeed, But I would love a chesspublishing mug or something.

I'd buy a (coffee) mug and a shirt (100% cotton and decent quality - would wear it to tournaments), and a tournament pen - surely it'd be a winner! Must be simple to have this stuff made - send someone a logo and that's it. There's a guy on my local team who makes this sort of stuff for our chess club and tournaments. Users who want to 'support chesspub' probably more likely to do so as a side effect of 'endorsing' chesspub.

aside: how bout putting together a chesspub.com team to play in, for example, the team event at Pardubice?

IP Logged

Markovich
God Member

Reply #64 - 10/10/11 at 11:59:09
Post Tools
That's funny, I first read that as "pizzas." Now that would be something.

The Great Oz has spoken!

IP Logged

TheHug
YaBB Newbies

I Love ChessPublishing!

Reply #63 - 10/09/11 at 23:40:58
Post Tools
Hello Tony, as you and I have talked. I would be willing to offer membership prizes in my freestyle and corr chess tournaments. If that can help you guys out.

This can go in line with the best game voting request I made to you.

IP Logged

GMTonyKosten
YaBB Administrator

Mr Dynamic?

Reply #62 - 10/09/11 at 23:18:58
Post Tools
This has gone very silent!

Zatox wrote on 08/11/09 at 12:05:23:
Indeed, But I would love a chesspublishing mug or something.

Now, that's an idea! Would a ChessPub beer glass be more appropriate though? Roll Eyes

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 6
Topic Tools
Bookmarks: del.icio.us Digg Facebook Google Google+ Linked in reddit StumbleUpon Twitter Yahoo