Latest Updates:
Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 9
Topic Tools
Very Hot Topic (More than 25 Replies) Scandinavian Portuguese...again!? (Read 146976 times)
Menake Halonot
YaBB Newbies

Re: Scandinavian Portuguese...again!?
Reply #104 - 09/06/15 at 19:44:25
Post Tools

IP Logged

TonyRo
God Member

I'm gonna crack your skull!

Reply #103 - 08/14/15 at 14:18:41
Post Tools
smurfo wrote on 08/14/15 at 13:40:09:
Believe it or not, I hadn't seen this yet  Wink Thanks for letting me know! Book has gone to the printers!!

No problem - congrats on finishing up man, always a slog! If Smerdon's Scandi has gone to the printers, an excerpt is imminent!

Grin

IP Logged

smurfo
YaBB Newbies

With compensation.

Reply #102 - 08/14/15 at 13:40:09
Post Tools
TonyRo wrote on 07/12/15 at 16:56:27:
Artwork is up! Tell you what, having your name in the title is pretty baller:

https://www.everymanchess.com/openings-books/smerdons-scandinavian

Grin

Believe it or not, I hadn't seen this yet  Wink Thanks for letting me know! Book has gone to the printers!!

IP Logged

RoleyPoley
God Member

I Love ChessPublishing!

Reply #101 - 07/13/15 at 19:12:23
Post Tools
TonyRo wrote on 07/12/15 at 16:56:27:

Grin

I think you started that trend, Killer  Wink

"As Mikhail Tal would say ' Let's have a bit of hooliganism! '"

Victor Bologan.

IP Logged

TonyRo
God Member

I'm gonna crack your skull!

Reply #100 - 07/12/15 at 16:56:27
Post Tools

Grin

IP Logged

RoleyPoley
God Member

I Love ChessPublishing!

Reply #99 - 07/03/15 at 22:44:16
Post Tools
Everyman have listed 'smerdon's Scandanavian' for a September release (in Europe, October for US). No Artwork yet though...

Victor Bologan.

IP Logged

smurfo
YaBB Newbies

With compensation.

Reply #98 - 06/02/15 at 08:22:54
Post Tools
Hi all, and sorry for the late reply. I've neglected to check the forum in recent months. RoleyPoley is right: the manuscript was submitted a while ago, but the publishers have told me that they don't know yet when it will be released (something about a backlog of projects). So the timeline is out of my hands for now. I'll be sure to write an update when I know more!

Cheers,
David

IP Logged

RoleyPoley
God Member

I Love ChessPublishing!

Reply #97 - 05/21/15 at 18:37:24
Post Tools
RoleyPoley wrote on 05/15/15 at 18:46:21:
tipau wrote on 05/14/15 at 16:10:32:
I'm also interested if there's any new news on this project?

I've been considering using this again, although probably more of a surprise weapon this time Smiley

I saw a comment on Twitter dated March where someone was asking Smurfo if there was a pre-order available, to which he replied he would ask the publisher. I assume that this was in regards to his book on the Portuguese and that he has submitted a completed manuscript.... However, if that is the case i am a little surprised that he appears not to have mentioned it on his blog.

I asked David on twitter if there was a release date yet, to which he has said not yet. I expect we will here more from him when there is one. Fingers crossed.  Smiley

Victor Bologan.

IP Logged

RoleyPoley
God Member

I Love ChessPublishing!

Reply #96 - 05/15/15 at 18:46:21
Post Tools
tipau wrote on 05/14/15 at 16:10:32:

I've been considering using this again, although probably more of a surprise weapon this time Smiley

I saw a comment on Twitter dated March where someone was asking Smurfo if there was a pre-order available, to which he replied he would ask the publisher. I assume that this was in regards to his book on the Portuguese and that he has submitted a completed manuscript.... However, if that is the case i am a little surprised that he appears not to have mentioned it on his blog.

Victor Bologan.

IP Logged

tipau

I Like ChessPublishing!

Reply #95 - 05/14/15 at 16:10:32
Post Tools

FIDE: ~2100

IP Logged

RoleyPoley
God Member

I Love ChessPublishing!

Reply #94 - 12/17/14 at 19:21:16
Post Tools
smurfo wrote on 09/16/14 at 19:52:54:
The draft should be completed by the end of the year, so unfortunately it won't hit the shelves til early 2015. It's turning into a much bigger challenge than I anticipated, especially as I've made it a repertoire book against 1.e4.

Hi Smurfo,

How's the manuscript coming along? Can you provide any details as to which lines you will be covering?

Best wishes,

RP.

Victor Bologan.

IP Logged

Stefan Buecker
God Member

Reply #93 - 10/13/14 at 14:43:23
Post Tools
smurfo wrote on 10/13/14 at 13:40:01:
However, I don't know of any published analysis on this line at all, to date. Thanks for letting me know, Stefan. I'd be very interested in seeing Wind's analysis, if you have a copy of the article I can check out. The Wind Refutation has a nice ring to it, after all  Smiley 

OK, I'll send you the whole 5-page article, which also covers 3.c4 e6 on two pages. Please send me an e-mail (to redaktion@kaissiber.de), and I'll send jpg scans. The scans come with the condition to quote the source properly. The Gambit 3.c4 e6, by the way, is named after Rudolf Palme in Kaissiber, the Austrian master who introduced the move in 1955. I am aware that some prefer to call it differently. I'd be interested to hear about an older Icelandic source for 3...e6.

IP Logged

smurfo
YaBB Newbies

With compensation.

Reply #92 - 10/13/14 at 13:41:46
Post Tools
TalJechin wrote on 10/13/14 at 11:54:53:
Will you be dealing with the Kiel/Marshall variation (3.d4 Nxd5 4.c4 Nb4) and the old g6-lines or is the latter completely dead after the keymove c4-c5, ?

No. I will be focussing exclusively on 3...Bg4. I wouldn't say these old lines are completely dead, but , well, I always enjoy playing c4-c5 with white when I'm faced with it!

IP Logged

smurfo
YaBB Newbies

With compensation.

Reply #91 - 10/13/14 at 13:40:01
Post Tools
Stefan Buecker wrote on 10/12/14 at 21:51:42:
The line was analyzed and recommended in 2008 by Michiel Wind, see Kaissiber #32, pp. 29-31. His idea 6...e6 7.Nc3! seems indeed critical. You call it "Correspondence Refutation", but I am not aware of older correspondence games.

Naming the variations in the book is surprisingly turning out to be one of the trickiest parts!

I went with the temporary name "Correspondence Refutation" because, contrary to every other variation, the majority of games in this one are correspondence games. The first with g4 and c4 was played in 1997: Teumer-Ruch. The first game with 7.Nc3! was Gazik-Krivoshey, 1998. A strong correspondence game with 7.Nc3! was Ottesen-Corbat, 2007.

However, I don't know of any published analysis on this line at all, to date. Thanks for letting me know, Stefan. I'd be very interested in seeing Wind's analysis, if you have a copy of the article I can check out. The Wind Refutation has a nice ring to it, after all  Smiley 

IP Logged

TalJechin
God Member

There is no secret ingredient.

Reply #90 - 10/13/14 at 11:54:53
Post Tools
smurfo wrote on 10/12/14 at 13:47:21:
RoleyPoley wrote on 09/19/14 at 21:53:26:
Just one more thing!  Wink

Whats the balance of the book with regards to verbal explanation and analysis?

I'm only around 130ecf and prefer books like Ward's books on the Dragon and Williams' book on the French (and virtually anything by Wells) for their explanations. Not a deal breaker obviously, just curious...especially as there is so little out there on this opening and it's reputation Smiley

A lot of verbal explanation, as the book will primarily be of interest to players below master level, I'd guess.

Having said that, I've spent a LOT of time on the analysis, as my ultimate goal is to be able to propose a repertoire in which every line for Black is at least 'playable'. This has been quite a challenge! I'm still trying to work out the best way to handle the 'Correspondence Refutation' with 4.f3 Bf5 5.g5 Bg6 6.c4 (discussed in depth in this thread). More significantly, I've had to drop the Icelandic Gambit as my main recommendation after 3.c4, although I still cover it in detail, but fortunately there are some surprising gambit lines after 3.c4 c6 4.d4 that are both sound and exciting (IMO).

Will you be dealing with the Kiel/Marshall variation (3.d4 Nxd5 4.c4 Nb4) and the old g6-lines or is the latter completely dead after the keymove c4-c5, ?

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 9
Topic Tools
Bookmarks: del.icio.us Digg Facebook Google Google+ Linked in reddit StumbleUpon Twitter Yahoo