Latest Updates:
Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2 
Topic Tools
Hot Topic (More than 10 Replies) B00-C99 ¿Good opening book to study 1.e4? (Read 17891 times)
Daniel

I Love ChessPublishing!

Re: B00-C99 ¿Good opening book to study 1.e4?
Reply #22 - 08/29/11 at 02:51:48
Post Tools
How about 1. e4...?

IP Logged

BlkSabb

I love ChessPublishing.com!

Re: B00-C99 ¿Good opening book to study 1.e4?
Reply #21 - 08/29/11 at 00:03:01
Post Tools
Greet posted on Facebook saying that he just finished work on his book, Beating Unusual Chess Defences: 1 e4: Dealing with the Scandinavian, Pirc, Modern, Alekhine and other tricky lines.

Shouldn't this topic be moved to General Chess?

IP Logged

bragesjo
God Member

CCE at ICCF 2021 and CCM
at ICCF 2023

Re: ¿Good opening book to study 1.e4?
Reply #20 - 07/21/11 at 21:19:42
Post Tools
About French there is also a interestning line in Tarrasch called Korchnoi Gambit (or sometimes Universal System"). It is covered in "Starting out 1 e4" and there is also a recent chessbase "video/games" by Collins about it. White sacrifices a pawn for a lead in development and longterm positional compensation. It is played regulary by Michael Adams. It has also been played by Kasparov. However it involves some risk.

IP Logged

Fllg
God Member

I Love ChessPublishing!

Reply #19 - 07/21/11 at 19:23:45
Post Tools
bragesjo wrote on 07/21/11 at 14:22:20:
Perhaps a bit of topic but I have a question about "Chess advantage in Black and White" (I have not read it).

In 2012 a book called "The Kaufman Repertoire for Black and White" is going to be realesed. Is it a 2nd edition?

Yes, that seems to be the case.

IP Logged

Stigma
God Member

There is a crack in everything.

Reply #18 - 07/21/11 at 14:49:47
Post Tools
Here's the officical page for the (upcoming?) Andrew Greet book:
http://www.everymanchess.com/chess/books/Beating_Unusual_Chess_Defences%3A_1_e4%...

But it won't cover the French or the Caro-Kann.

For the French there are enough books to choose from geared towards White players, like OFWATA 6+7 for 3.Nc3, Tzermiadianos' How to Beat the French Defence for 3.Nd2, and Sveshnikov's 2-volume monograph for 3.e5. There's also Kasimdzhanov's three DVDs on the French 3.Nc3 if you like that medium. There's much less choice against the Caro-Kann; the OFWATA repertoire is outdated in places but surely still useful for sidelines, and every other recent book I'm aware of is geared toward Black players.

I think your best bet is to subscribe to the "French" and "1.e4..." sections of ChessPublishing (and throw in one more since 3 and 2 sections are the same price!). It will cost you a bit more than one book but you get much more content, and updates for a year.

Improvement begins at the edge of your comfort zone. -Jonathan Rowson

IP Logged

fairchess

I Love ChessPublishing!

Reply #17 - 07/21/11 at 14:34:33
Post Tools
MNb wrote on 07/20/11 at 16:37:13:
kylemeister wrote on 07/20/11 at 14:57:15:
The Sicilian is semi-open.

That's the common view indeed. But the theory of the Sicilian is so large (larger than the entire Open Games) that it makes sense to put it in its own category. Pachman in fact did this in his series Moderne Schachtheorie from the 80's:
Volume 1 Open Games
Volume 2 Semi-Open Games
Volume 3 Sicilian.

I would have recommended Volume 2 if Fairchess hadn't specifically asked for a repertoire book.

Something like the Volume 2 by Pachmann is actually what I was looking for, but a bit more up to date. I think that’s missing in the market.

IP Logged

bragesjo
God Member

CCE at ICCF 2021 and CCM
at ICCF 2023

Reply #16 - 07/21/11 at 14:22:20
Post Tools
Perhaps a bit of topic but I have a question about "Chess advantage in Black and White" (I have not read it).

In 2012 a book called "The Kaufman Repertoire for Black and White" is going to be realesed. Is it a 2nd edition?

IP Logged

Fllg
God Member

I Love ChessPublishing!

Reply #15 - 07/20/11 at 16:41:57
Post Tools
fairchess wrote on 07/20/11 at 09:17:17:
Apart from the “Kenilworth” tip, which I still have to look at more carefully, I think all the books mentioned deal with complete repertoires for white against every black’s response, do you know any book exclusively devoted to the semi-open openings (from white’s point of view?

The series "Opening for White according to Anand" by Khalifman does this. There are specific volumes about the French, Pirc/Modern and so on. Not yet published is "Beating Unusual Chess Defences: 1 e4: Dealing with the Scandinavian, Pirc, Modern, Alekhine and other tricky lines" by Andrew Greet. I don´t know if that will ever see the light of day but according to the Everyman website it will be published december 2011.

IP Logged

MNb
God Member

Rudolf Spielmann forever

Reply #14 - 07/20/11 at 16:37:13
Post Tools
kylemeister wrote on 07/20/11 at 14:57:15:

That's the common view indeed. But the theory of the Sicilian is so large (larger than the entire Open Games) that it makes sense to put it in its own category. Pachman in fact did this in his series Moderne Schachtheorie from the 80's:
Volume 1 Open Games
Volume 2 Semi-Open Games
Volume 3 Sicilian.

I would have recommended Volume 2 if Fairchess hadn't specifically asked for a repertoire book.

The book had the effect good books usually have: it made the stupids more stupid, the intelligent more intelligent and the other thousands of readers remained unchanged.
GC Lichtenberg

IP Logged

kylemeister
God Member

Reply #13 - 07/20/11 at 14:57:15
Post Tools

IP Logged

Fromper

GrandPatzer

Reply #12 - 07/20/11 at 14:53:35
Post Tools
fairchess wrote on 07/20/11 at 09:17:17:
In order to be a bit more specific about it, let’s say that I have already an opening against the two main responses by black: 1...e5 and Sicilian. What I am looking for is a repertoire for white in the semi-open games: French, Caro, Pirc, Scandinavian, Alekhine... preferably an off-beat one.
Apart from the “Kenilworth” tip, which I still have to look at more carefully, I think all the books mentioned deal with complete repertoires for white against every black’s response, do you know any book exclusively devoted to the semi-open openings (from white’s point of view?

I don't know of any repertoire books for 1. e4 that don't cover e5 and c5. Your choices are either a repertoire book for everything, or else a bunch of books about each individual opening.

That said, I second the recommendation of "Starting Out: 1. e4" by McDonald. He's a good writer, and I like his choices of lines for the most part, even though there are one or two that I don't use.

GrandPatzer!!!

1777 peak USCF rating - currently 1620 from coming back rusty
IP Logged

fairchess

I Love ChessPublishing!

Reply #11 - 07/20/11 at 09:17:17
Post Tools
In order to be a bit more specific about it, let’s say that I have already an opening against the two main responses by black: 1...e5 and Sicilian. What I am looking for is a repertoire for white in the semi-open games: French, Caro, Pirc, Scandinavian, Alekhine... preferably an off-beat one.

IP Logged

jsyedidia
YaBB Newbies

I Love ChessPublishing!

Reply #10 - 07/18/11 at 19:50:17
Post Tools
Larry Kaufman's Chess Advantage in Black and White will give you a solid repertoire with 1.e4 (he also gives you a Black repertoire). It's based on less-popular and not very sharp, but reputable lines like the Exchange variation of the Spanish and 2. Nf3 and 3. Bb5 against the Sicilian, Tarrasch against the French, and Short Advance variation against the Caro Kann.

IP Logged

MNb
God Member

Rudolf Spielmann forever

Reply #9 - 07/16/11 at 21:28:33
Post Tools
PatzerNoster wrote on 07/16/11 at 16:53:32:
I'm sure that black has better options than 4. ... e6.

That was my first thought too. But then I realized that moves like 4...Qc7 don't really add to Black's options. There are remarkably few examples where Black plays ...Bf5 or ...Bg4. And a Queenside Fianchetto is still possible after 4...e6.
But this is hardly the place to discuss the intricacies of a GPA-line.

The book had the effect good books usually have: it made the stupids more stupid, the intelligent more intelligent and the other thousands of readers remained unchanged.
GC Lichtenberg

IP Logged

PatzerNoster

I Love ChessPublishing!

Reply #8 - 07/16/11 at 16:53:32
Post Tools
MNb wrote on 07/15/11 at 16:34:36:
bragesjo wrote on 07/15/11 at 14:44:19:
2 f4 in Sicilian is not played anymore becouse of the status of the Tal Gambit d5 exd5 Nf6.

This is a kind of a paradox, as 2.f4 d5 3.Nc3 dxe4 4.Nxe4 e6 5.Nf3 and 2.Nc3 e6 3.f4 d5 4.Nf3 dxe4 5.Nxe4 are exactly the same.

That's not quite a revelation, as I'm sure that black has better options than 4. ... e6.
I would prefer Rogocenko's recommendation 4. ... Qc7 when I like black's position very much.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2 
Topic Tools
Bookmarks: del.icio.us Digg Facebook Google Google+ Linked in reddit StumbleUpon Twitter Yahoo