Latest Updates:
Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 
Topic Tools
Very Hot Topic (More than 25 Replies) 20 Years With the Blackmar-Diemer Gambit (Read 62493 times)
Gambit
God Member

I love ChessPublishing
.com!

Re: 20 Years With the Blackmar-Diemer Gambit
Reply #24 - 09/14/11 at 15:21:19
Post Tools
Some people just don't get that even Kasparov is only human. What many GMs do is make quick draws, before the fun actually starts.

YIM  
IP Logged

dmp4373

I Love ChessPublishing!

Reply #23 - 09/14/11 at 02:18:59
Post Tools
Are we witnessing a new Lev? Despite the jabs and sarcasm he has been keeping his cool and responding politely, making a serious effort to explain things clearly.

IP Logged

Bibs
YaBB Moderator

Reply #22 - 09/14/11 at 01:19:05
Post Tools
Markovich wrote on 09/14/11 at 01:10:39:
Lev plays at the 2100-2150 level, and I am sure he knocks off a fair number of stronger players with that attacking game of his. So why don't we all just leave it at that, rather than belaboring the peculiarities of the USCF's obscure system of titles and special titles?

Indeed. Perhaps a separate USCF titles thread would be helpful explaining.
Actually, do have interest. Seem to play lots of US players (likely due to a US-friendly, Euro-unfriendly time zone and personal schedule) on ICC who have a range of unfamiliar titles.
Don't know what they are supposed to be, just curious.
But, yeah, perhaps just ignore the desire  for us all to dress up and Just Play Chess.

IP Logged

Markovich
God Member

Reply #21 - 09/14/11 at 01:10:39
Post Tools
Lev plays at the 2100-2150 level, and I am sure he knocks off a fair number of stronger players with that attacking game of his. So why don't we all just leave it at that, rather than belaboring the peculiarities of the USCF's obscure system of titles and special titles.

Lev, if two men agree to duel with submachine guns instead of rapiers, this can hardly be said to be unfair. Unfair is bringing a submachine gun to a duel that was agreed to be fought with rapiers.

The peculiar truth about correspondence chess these days is that all duels, including those agreed to be fought with rapiers, are fought with submachine guns.

The Great Oz has spoken!

IP Logged

Bibs
YaBB Moderator

Reply #20 - 09/13/11 at 23:31:23
Post Tools
Gambit wrote on 09/13/11 at 14:04:33:
I merely noted for the record that I did play Kasparov briefly. Now, as I said earlier, Kasparov was the one who offered draws in all three games, not me! So who is a coward is a very big question. Not me, that is for sure.

The Candidate Master title is one step below master. This same title existed for decades in Soviet Russia, whose chess system was based on categories, not ratings. Under the Russian system, you had Categories 1 through 4, with 1 being the highest. Then came the CM, Master, and other titles.

Here in USA, we have ratings, something the Russians do not have. Hence, our system is a bit different from the Russian one.

Life Master is not easy. It is an accomplishment to maintain a master's title for a long time. You have to play 300 games and win most of them to get the LM title. Not easy. If you are so smart, why don't you try getting the LM title? Much more difficult than getting the CM title, I assure you.

Not so smart. Am very middling.

Well, I admitted defeat and asked my federation to apply for my FM 'title'. I was reluctant,  but no time these days to get out there to get the IM, least not for a while, so it'll do, it's something I guess.

Am interested. What is the performance rating level for Life Master btw? 300 games at 2000? 2100? 2200? 2300? 2400? A certain percentage versus IMs / GMs?
Those outside US may look somewhat sceptically at such pseudo-titles, wielded by players who do not appear very strong.
« Last Edit: 09/14/11 at 00:48:31 by Bibs »  

IP Logged

Gambit
God Member

I love ChessPublishing
.com!

Reply #19 - 09/13/11 at 14:04:33
Post Tools
I merely noted for the record that I did play Kasparov briefly. Now, as I said earlier, Kasparov was the one who offered draws in all three games, not me! So who is a coward is a very big question. Not me, that is for sure.

The Candidate Master title is one step below master. This same title existed for decades in Soviet Russia, whose chess system was based on categories, not ratings. Under the Russian system, you had Categories 1 through 4, with 1 being the highest. Then came the CM, Master, and other titles.

Here in USA, we have ratings, something the Russians do not have. Hence, our system is a bit different from the Russian one.

Life Master is not easy. It is an accomplishment to maintain a master's title for a long time. You have to play 300 games and win most of them to get the LM title. Not easy. If you are so smart, why don't you try getting the LM title? Much more difficult than getting the CM title, I assure you.

YIM  
IP Logged

Bibs
YaBB Moderator

Reply #18 - 09/13/11 at 12:35:59
Post Tools
If Lev is proud of the 'title' that's good for him, but I was a bit surprised by the whole CM thing when it was introduced. Means as little as all those silly US titles: life master and stuff. Two squares forward, one to the side, congrats you are an 'expert'. Or whatever they have.
My federation wrote that they had put my name forward for CM. Had to write a prompt letter back saying no thanks, is embarrassing and they relented.

IP Logged

Alias
God Member

Reply #17 - 09/13/11 at 12:22:30
Post Tools
I find it very strange that someone can be proud of three move draws, especially from one calling others cowards.

I know Karpov and Kasparov. The point was that when getting the chance to play the best, a three move draw is a complete waste of a great opportunity.

I've never heard of CM. Lower than FM? Not much of a title then.

Don't check me with no lightweight stuff.

IP Logged

Gambit
God Member

I love ChessPublishing
.com!

Reply #16 - 09/13/11 at 11:34:28
Post Tools
(1) These are chess games, since obviously, they were played. Not my fault Kasparov offered a draw early on.

(2) You saw Karpov, not Kasparov. Different player.

(3) Simple. I do have the title of Candidate Master in over-the-board chess. As for correspondence, I do not play much in ICCF, USCF or APCT tournaments. Computers take all the fun out of tactics. You cannot use a chess engine over-the-board, but you can do so in postal chess. That, in my opinion, is not fair.

Hope this answers your questions.

YIM  
IP Logged

Alias
God Member

Reply #15 - 09/13/11 at 06:58:33
Post Tools
1) These are not games.

2) I saw footage of a simul with Karpov. A player did the Zaitsev repetition against him. Karpov got really upset. He said that the player missed a great opportunity to play the world champion. The result was of no importance.

3) If you beat GMs left and right, how come you don't have a title or the corresponding rating?

Don't check me with no lightweight stuff.

IP Logged

Gambit
God Member

I love ChessPublishing
.com!

Reply #14 - 09/13/11 at 05:30:32
Post Tools
I would like to point out that the BDG begins after 1 d4 d5 2 e4 dxe4 3 Nc3 Nf6 4 f3. That is first.

Second, Kasparov would have, as happened in our games, offer a draw early on. He was not interested in playing serious games, just in getting a rating on chess.net website.

Third, how many non-Grandmasters can say they drew Kasparov? I can. As far as beating GMs on the Internet Chess Club, I do that all the time. At the New Yorker Hotel Blitz tournament in May 2011, I beat GM Mikhail Kekelidze in the very first round. He is from Georgia in the former Soviet Union. That really set people talking!

Last, to be honest, I am not even 100% sure of the game scores! I think it was 1 e4 e5 2 Nf3 in the first Zilbermints-Kasparov game, but it has been 12 years!
The only reason I remember the scores (at least I as accurately as I think) is because all games lasted 3 moves! I had it saved in my school email, but that got lost when my access to the school email lapsed. So I am relying on my memory.

As for best player in history, that remains an open question. Some of the new players, like Magnus Carlsen, might eclipse Kasparov soon. Especially since Kasparov is training Magnus!

YIM  
IP Logged

MNb
God Member

Rudolf Spielmann forever

Reply #13 - 09/12/11 at 22:13:42
Post Tools
Are you serious?! Man, I've a lot of obvious questions, but due to a promise I made to Markovich I'm not going to ask them. Let me formulate it this way. It puts a lot of arguments you brought up in the past in an entirely new light.
Fact is: the only time I played a GM in my life I chose the Albin's Counter Gambit (and lost a piece in 15 moves).
At the other hand I cannot help but admiring your honesty to admit that you did not grab the chance to play the BDG against possibly the best player in history.

The book had the effect good books usually have: it made the stupids more stupid, the intelligent more intelligent and the other thousands of readers remained unchanged.
GC Lichtenberg

IP Logged

Gambit
God Member

I love ChessPublishing
.com!

Reply #12 - 09/12/11 at 17:15:26
Post Tools
No, it was not even a Blackmar-Diemer Gambit. I think one game went 1 e4 e5 2 Nf3 (Zilbermints - Kasparov, chess.net 1999) while the second went something like
1 e4 e5 2 Nf3 d6 (Kasparov - Zilbermints, chess.net 1999). I was White in the third game. All three games ended in a draw on move 3. There were no BDGs.

YIM  
IP Logged

Jupp53
God Member

be

Reply #11 - 09/12/11 at 09:45:15
Post Tools
So offering draw after white's third move should be baptized "Kasparov defense" against the BDG.  Cheesy  Grin

Medical textbooks say I should be dead since April 2002.
Dum spiro spero. Smiley
Narcissm is the humans primary disease.

IP Logged

Gambit
God Member

I love ChessPublishing
.com!

Reply #10 - 09/12/11 at 03:56:00
Post Tools
Because he offered a draw after the third move in every game. In fact, he was most likely trying out chess.net website. The handle said "Kasparov" (GM) 2800 . And only one man had that rating in 1999!

YIM  
IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 
Topic Tools
Bookmarks: del.icio.us Digg Facebook Google Google+ Linked in reddit StumbleUpon Twitter Yahoo