Latest Updates:
Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 [2] 
Topic Tools
Hot Topic (More than 10 Replies) Reorganization and renaming of Chesspub. sections? (Read 18836 times)
GMTonyKosten
YaBB Administrator

Mr Dynamic?

Re: Reorganization and renaming of Chesspub. sections?
Reply #7 - 08/31/11 at 09:27:55
Post Tools
Bibs wrote on 08/12/11 at 03:33:58:
4 and 5 make sense.

True, I'm not against these two on the Forum - it would slightly cut the connection with the main site, but is this a problem? Undecided

IP Logged

emary

I Love ChessPublishing!

Reply #6 - 08/21/11 at 21:33:16
Post Tools
Anonymous 3 suggestion no 3
(to move 1.e4 ... to the section Daring Defences) has the problem,
that the Caro-Kann would be in the section
"Daring Defences". His other suggestions look very sensible.

IP Logged

GMTonyKosten
YaBB Administrator

Mr Dynamic?

Reply #5 - 08/21/11 at 12:48:35
Post Tools
GMTonyKosten wrote on 08/10/11 at 09:59:04:
I propose merging the ChessPublishing 'News' and 'Discussion' sections into 'News and discussion' and making the 2nd section just for the ChessPub Forum. Does that make sense?

Well, as no-one said no ... Roll Eyes If I have left any threads in the wrong section please let me know!

IP Logged

Bibs
God Member

Reply #4 - 08/12/11 at 03:33:58
Post Tools
Anonymous3 wrote on 07/30/11 at 21:23:08:
I think it is time for a reorganization and renaming of the Chesspublishing sections. Here are my suggestions:

1) There is no need for a separate "Dragons" section so this section should be moved to the Open Sicilian section. Also, enough theory has developed to where it going to get harder and harder to come up with new ideas just in the dragon sicilians.

2) The King's indian, Grunfeld, Benoni, and Benko Gambit should be in the same section. This is because the main line of the Four Pawns Attack in the King's indian is a Benoni line, some Grunfled players will want to meet the Fianchetto variation with the King's Indian and vise versa, and many attacking players play both the King's Indian and Grunfeld or both the Benoni and Benko (Kasparov and Fischer, for example, played the King's indian, Grunfeld, and Modern Benoni) and right now these openings are in 3 different sections!

3) The "1...e4" and "Daring Defenses" should be in the same section. If you move the Grunfeld and Benko Gambit, the "Daring Defenses" would be losing 2 of its main openings (and the main one in the Grinfeld) and probalby wouldn't have enough popular openings to remain an independent section. Also, some players meet both 1.e4 and 1.d4 with 1...g6 or 1...d6 and now all of this would be covered in the same section. I'm not sure what this section should be called. Any ideas?

4) "1 d4 d5" needs to be remaned "Queen's Gambit" because "1 d4 d5" makes it seem like everything after "1 d4 d5" is covered in this section.

5) The "d-pawn specials" needs to be renamed "Queen's Pawn Games" as this is the name for these openings.   

If you take my suggestions, this would cut down chesspub. to 10 sections. However, then you wouldn't have to worry about making sure you have 12 authors (and this makes a better chance you wouldn't have to do a section yourself GM Tony Kosten!), paying 12 authors, and worring about 12 authors getting their updates in on time.

I never thought I'd write this (along with 'England are a very good cricket team'), but I rather agree with A3.

1 and 2 definitely. Or was it just set up this way to support Chris until his dancing took off? Fair enough if so.
3 could do.
4 and 5 make sense.

A real mishmash as it stands.

IP Logged

trw
God Member

I Love ChessPublishing!

Reply #3 - 08/11/11 at 15:32:44
Post Tools
The KID section and AntiSicilian section are about on par with each other.

IP Logged

Smyslov_Fan
YaBB Moderator
Correspondence fan

Progress depends on the
unreasonable man. ~GBS

Reply #2 - 08/10/11 at 22:19:13
Post Tools
Yeah, Tony, merging the two sections in Chess Publishing General does make sense.

As for merging other forums, the trend has been to create more sections, not less. I'm not sure that people will be happy with fewer sections, and I haven't experienced any serious problems with the sections as they are now.

The King's Indian section seems to be about the least popular section (not based on any empirical evidence), but I don't recommend combining it with other sections.

IP Logged

GMTonyKosten
YaBB Administrator

Mr Dynamic?

Reply #1 - 08/10/11 at 09:59:04
Post Tools
Actually changing any of the sections on the main (ChessPublishing.com) site would be tricky, as apart from all the (expensive) coding involved it would also mean a lot of unhappy subscribers!
Changing things on the ChessPub Forum is certainly possible, though. I propose merging the ChessPublishing 'News' and 'Discussion' sections into 'News and discussion' and making the 2nd section just for the ChessPub Forum. Does that make sense?

IP Logged

Anonymous3

I Love ChessPublishing!

Reorganization and renaming of Chesspub. sections?
07/30/11 at 21:23:08
Post Tools
I think it is time for a reorganization and renaming of the Chesspublishing sections. Here are my suggestions:

1) There is no need for a separate "Dragons" section so this section should be moved to the Open Sicilian section. Also, enough theory has developed to where it going to get harder and harder to come up with new ideas just in the dragon sicilians.

2) The King's indian, Grunfeld, Benoni, and Benko Gambit should be in the same section. This is because the main line of the Four Pawns Attack in the King's indian is a Benoni line, some Grunfled players will want to meet the Fianchetto variation with the King's Indian and vise versa, and many attacking players play both the King's Indian and Grunfeld or both the Benoni and Benko (Kasparov and Fischer, for example, played the King's indian, Grunfeld, and Modern Benoni) and right now these openings are in 3 different sections!

3) The "1...e4" and "Daring Defenses" should be in the same section. If you move the Grunfeld and Benko Gambit, the "Daring Defenses" would be losing 2 of its main openings (and the main one in the Grinfeld) and probalby wouldn't have enough popular openings to remain an independent section. Also, some players meet both 1.e4 and 1.d4 with 1...g6 or 1...d6 and now all of this would be covered in the same section. I'm not sure what this section should be called. Any ideas?

4) "1 d4 d5" needs to be remaned "Queen's Gambit" because "1 d4 d5" makes it seem like everything after "1 d4 d5" is covered in this section.

5) The "d-pawn specials" needs to be renamed "Queen's Pawn Games" as this is the name for these openings.   

If you take my suggestions, this would cut down chesspub. to 10 sections. However, then you wouldn't have to worry about making sure you have 12 authors (and this makes a better chance you wouldn't have to do a section yourself GM Tony Kosten!), paying 12 authors, and worring about 12 authors getting their updates in on time.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 [2] 
Topic Tools
Bookmarks: del.icio.us Digg Facebook Google Google+ Linked in reddit StumbleUpon Twitter Yahoo