Latest Updates:
Normal Topic I try to get rid of playing french (Read 3628 times)
Ludde

So much theory..so little
time

Re: I try to get rid of playing french
Reply #8 - 08/26/11 at 13:03:20
Post Tools
I find the term anti-positional very vague....Every move does have some consequences for the resulting position, some good and some bad. Giving up the black-squared bishop is in one way probably not desirable, but the position is fairly closed so shouldn't the value of the knights increase? And with less space it is often desirable to exchange a pair of minor pieces to avoid congestion. The negative consequeces for whites pawn-structure was mentioned here earlier. I think that my own initial scepticism towards the Winawer was due to the fact that black in the resulting position was left with his bad bishop. This is mostly an emotional reaction though, since the whitesquared bishop is not worse than in the Steinitz for example, but it doesn't seem as obvious with both bishops left. I would label the Winawer rather "positionally unclear" than "anti-positional", but again - this is just a subjective label - nothing more.

IP Logged

TN
God Member

Reply #7 - 08/12/11 at 16:09:24
Post Tools
I find 3.Nc3 a little bit anti-positional in that White cannot support his d4-pawn with c3 (as he can after Nd2), and with the knight on d2 Black cannot develop his bishop actively to b4 (again due to c3). But maybe it is just me.

All our dreams come true if we have the courage to pursue them.

IP Logged

MNb
God Member

Rudolf Spielmann forever

Reply #6 - 08/12/11 at 15:59:20
Post Tools
Lauri Torni wrote on 08/12/11 at 11:38:20:
I just feel, that getting fluent counterplay is  difficult

Then learning how to get fluent counterplay with 3...Bb4 is a clear sign of chess improvement.
That having written, I struggle with the same problem. So recently I have changed my attitude towards 3.Nc3. Now my first concern is not losing, which appears to be a much easier task (note: I play corr. chess).
I don't know if 3...Bb4 is antipositional. Sure Black gives up the good Bishop, but he/she gets a few things in return: 3...Bb4 saves one, maybe two tempi (if White plays a2-a3) compared to 3...Nf6, Black gets the superior pawn structure. Finally it looks easier to solve the biggest problem (in my conservative view): doing something useful with the Queen's Bishop.

The book had the effect good books usually have: it made the stupids more stupid, the intelligent more intelligent and the other thousands of readers remained unchanged.
GC Lichtenberg

IP Logged

MartinC
God Member

I Love ChessPublishing!

Reply #5 - 08/12/11 at 15:27:36
Post Tools
Well if Bb4 is anti positional then whats Nc6? Its got to be h6 Wink

IP Logged

Lauri Torni

Si vis pacem, para bellum.

Reply #4 - 08/12/11 at 14:45:59
Post Tools
TN wrote on 08/12/11 at 13:07:23:
Try 3...Nc6!

Indeed!  Grin

1.Nf3! -  beat your opponent by killing his zest for life.

IP Logged

TN
God Member

Reply #3 - 08/12/11 at 13:07:23
Post Tools
Try 3...Nc6!

IP Logged

Lauri Torni

Reply #2 - 08/12/11 at 11:38:20
Post Tools
TN wrote on 08/12/11 at 10:36:27:
Lauri Torni wrote on 08/12/11 at 10:02:43:
I have been addicted many years to the french. I know it might not be good to my chess and probably is unsuitable to my style, but it is so difficult to get rid of bad habits. Finally I have perhaps succeeded. Let's see....

Grace the Caissa! Grin

P.S. Like many others, I started to play it due to Watsons (excellent) PTF I. I think now that Winawer is probably too difficult an opening for most players. My results have been quite good with low time limits, and reasonable with normal time limits, but I cannot help feeling uneasy when playing it's main lines.

What makes you think that the French is not good for your chess and doesn't suit your style? Is this assessment based on analysis of all of your games in the French, or a couple of recent losses?

It is based mainly how I feel, results have been reasonable.
The problem is mainly 3.Nc3.

3.-de is out of question (sterile)
3.-Nf6 has never appealed me  (rigid, passive)
3.-Bb4 (antipositional)

I just feel, that getting fluent counterplay is  difficult (you get the idea, if you consider that I have been playing benko 25 years and I used to play sicilian)

IP Logged

TN
God Member

Reply #1 - 08/12/11 at 10:36:27
Post Tools
Lauri Torni wrote on 08/12/11 at 10:02:43:
I have been addicted many years to the french. I know it might not be good to my chess and probably is unsuitable to my style, but it is so difficult to get rid of bad habits. Finally I have perhaps succeeded. Let's see....

Grace the Caissa! Grin

P.S. Like many others, I started to play it due to Watsons (excellent) PTF I. I think now that Winawer is probably too difficult an opening for most players. My results have been quite good with low time limits, and reasonable with normal time limits, but I cannot help feeling uneasy when playing it's main lines.

What makes you think that the French is not good for your chess and doesn't suit your style? Is this assessment based on analysis of all of your games in the French, or a couple of recent losses?

IP Logged

Lauri Torni

I try to get rid of playing french
08/12/11 at 10:02:43
Post Tools

Grace the Caissa! Grin

IP Logged

Bookmarks: del.icio.us Digg Facebook Google Google+ Linked in reddit StumbleUpon Twitter Yahoo