Latest Updates:
Hot Topic (More than 10 Replies) classical vs. scheveningen (Read 11090 times)
walkingterrapin

Why play the Colle when
you can play 1.e4!!!!!!!!!

Re: classical vs. scheveningen
Reply #18 - 09/08/11 at 14:19:22
Post Tools
I agree with MnB the Whole point of Qb6 is not to destroy the sozin but give black extra options that arent usually available restraining the dark squared bishop and pressure against d4.

IP Logged

Oblonskij

I Love ChessPublishing!

Reply #17 - 08/31/11 at 11:23:46
Post Tools
As far as i know the f3-RR is in quite respectable shape for Black at the moment as long as he times h6-h5 correctly and doesn't castle early. I'm more concerned with the f4 variations. The Kozul variation carries big strategic risks and the Be7 0-0 mainlines can lead to slightly worse endgames with minimal winning chances for black.

IP Logged

MartinC
God Member

I Love ChessPublishing!

Reply #16 - 08/31/11 at 11:07:09
Post Tools
I wouldn't say that all the danger in the Classical comes from f3 RR's by any means (6 Bc4, f4 Rausers etc not easy either Smiley). Certainly though that does seem to be have been responsible for its semi recent drop in popularity. After all the f4 RR had been around for ages without having discouraged the opening.

IP Logged

fling
God Member

I Love ChessPublishing!

Reply #15 - 08/31/11 at 10:59:55
Post Tools
Try the Kan, maybe?

IP Logged

gramsci

I Love ChessPublishing!

Reply #14 - 08/31/11 at 08:59:01
Post Tools
MartinC wrote on 08/31/11 at 08:15:22:
Well the f3 stuff - after 6 Bg5 this is - was probably quite new when Emms was writing that book.

What you will certainly need is something at least plausibly well prepared, as its relatively easy to fall into something nasty if playing natural moves - there were quite a few nasty accidents when the ideas first started appearing. (chess pub archives say.).

So if the danger in the Classical Sicilian comes from the f3 R-R I'm going to switch right now. I'm going to give up my beloved Najdorf and Scheveningen. I'm fed up of the Keres and the Bg5 Najdorf (PP; Gelfand, Kasparov, Browne Variations; quick Nbd7 ... I've tried them all and noone seems to work).

IP Logged

zoo
Ex Member

Reply #13 - 08/31/11 at 08:38:06
Post Tools
> If nothing else, I'm pretty sure I'm a Sicilian player for life so trying out the classical can only help my overall Sicilian education, right?

not sure, the Richter-Rauzer classical does have unique aspects : pawn structure, pressure on e6-f7, etc.

I would think that a better sicilian background is given by the Scheveningen (perhaps through Najdorf move order) + the ability to play ...g6 against non-challenging lines. From practical point of view, this ability to play ...g6 is one main attraction of the Najdorf move-order, there is not juste the Keres vs Bg5 to consider in your opening choice (same for Be2-Be3 lines). tradeoffs everywhere!

IP Logged

MartinC
God Member

I Love ChessPublishing!

Reply #12 - 08/31/11 at 08:15:22
Post Tools
Oh goodness yes Smiley They're both still very important openings and fully worth playing.

Well the f3 stuff - after 6 Bg5 this is - was probably quite new when Emms was writing that book.

What you will certainly need is something at least plausibly well prepared, as its relatively easy to fall into something nasty if playing natural moves - there were quite a few nasty accidents when the ideas first started appearing. (chess pub archives say.).

Chess explained: The classical Sicillian by Yermnolinsky is a very good introduction to it all.

IP Logged

zepled37

I Love ChessPublishing!

Reply #11 - 08/30/11 at 23:02:54
Post Tools
ErictheRed wrote on 08/30/11 at 22:33:05:
Well, my personal preference is to face the Keres instead of the R-R, but that's just personal taste.  What I maintain is not personal taste, however, is that the Keres is more risky for both sides.  I guess we could check stats (I'm at work right now) to see how the drawing rates compare, but the Keres is more of a "burn your bridges" variation, whereas White can be more restrained in the Richter-Rauzer and still hope for an edge.  In other words, I think White risks more with the Keres.

I can see your point there.  If White's attack doesn't go through, he's in trouble.

MartinC, Emms doesn't give the English attack set up as a main line in the book so no stats in there.  He mentions it as a newer idea, and says it can be good for White if Black castles too early.  In the summary, he mentions that Black hopes to capitalize on the "extra development" of Nc6 against f3, but it sounds a little like a fluffy comment.  Of course, this is only an introductory text so maybe some other source has better info on the English attack vs. the Classical.

If nothing else, I'm pretty sure I'm a Sicilian player for life so trying out the classical can only help my overall Sicilian education, right?

IP Logged

ErictheRed
God Member

USCF National Master

Reply #10 - 08/30/11 at 22:33:05
Post Tools
Well, my personal preference is to face the Keres instead of the R-R, but that's just personal taste.  What I maintain is not personal taste, however, is that the Keres is more risky for both sides.  I guess we could check stats (I'm at work right now) to see how the drawing rates compare, but the Keres is more of a "burn your bridges" variation, whereas White can be more restrained in the Richter-Rauzer and still hope for an edge.  In other words, I think White risks more with the Keres.

IP Logged

MartinC
God Member

I Love ChessPublishing!

Reply #9 - 08/30/11 at 21:56:03
Post Tools
Aren't the stats a little better for the f3, English attack style RRs? Suspect they were in the early years of the approach, now no idea.

They're the lines I'd call controlled and pretty easy to learn to play at least reasonably. Things like that Anand - Timman game where Anand just went Bg5 -> e3 without provocation and still won incredibly easily must surely be a bit depressing?

Suspect that the traditional f4 Rauser is a lot more work for white to play well. But then white can always play stuff like an early h3 in the Keres and get a pretty controlled/promising enough position out of it.

They've both driven their respective lines to rarity at very high levels, but pretty sure thats just hassle related rather than anything objectively awful.

So taste really Smiley

IP Logged

zepled37

I Love ChessPublishing!

Reply #8 - 08/30/11 at 20:59:49
Post Tools
gramsci wrote on 08/30/11 at 20:29:47:
ErictheRed wrote on 08/30/11 at 17:33:10:
In my opinion, the R-R offers White the same sort of dangerous attack with less long-term risk; he doesn't have to weaken his Kingside squares with g2-g4 if he doesn't want to. 

I don't know why you have such a high opinion of the R-R. It's dangerous of course, but not more than the Keres or the 6.Bg5 Najdorf. In the R-R black has better statistics and several dynamic options like the Kozul Variation.

I don't quite see how the R-R is as dangerous as the Keres either...Sure it's an open Sicilian, but...John Emms in his Starting Out: The Sicilian gives White a score of 61% in the Keres but only 54% in the Rauzer.  He also says this,

"Black has quite a few different ways of playing against the Richter-Rauzer so if anything it's more difficult for White to learn than Black (assuming Black is simply content to learn just one defence).  The Richter-Rauzer is less critical than, say, the Bg5 Najdorf or the Yugoslav Attack against the Dragon in that one small mistake is less likely to have a decisive effect on the game."

IP Logged

gramsci

I Love ChessPublishing!

Reply #7 - 08/30/11 at 20:29:47
Post Tools
ErictheRed wrote on 08/30/11 at 17:33:10:
In my opinion, the R-R offers White the same sort of dangerous attack with less long-term risk; he doesn't have to weaken his Kingside squares with g2-g4 if he doesn't want to. 

I don't know why you have such a high opinion of the R-R. It's dangerous of course, but not more than the Keres or the 6.Bg5 Najdorf. In the R-R black have both better statistics and several dynamic options like the Kozul Variation.

IP Logged

Uhohspaghettio
God Member

I Love ChessPublishing!

Reply #6 - 08/30/11 at 19:06:59
Post Tools
I think defending against the Keres (or English Attack) can be a lot of fun. First you have to play accurately, then if White throws it all at you and you survive, it's Black's turn to mount a fierce attack or get a lasting advantage. Psychologically White may also crumble a bit once he realizes his blistering attack didn't work. Even though Black's may look like he's walking a tightrope at times and barely surviving, knowing a lot of theory and defence will help a lot. If you become a Scheveningen player, you should also be really proficient at defending against the Kere's Attack, which White may not be great at playing.

Though the Scheveningen is world class, the Keres' Attack may have the tiniest fraction of the "Fried Liver" about it, and I think this is the reason the Najdorf is more popular OTB at the super gm level.

IP Logged

ErictheRed
God Member

USCF National Master

Reply #5 - 08/30/11 at 17:33:10
Post Tools
Against a higher rated opponent, the Keres is exactly the sort of thing you want to see.  It's dangerous of course, but it's also sharp and White takes a bit of risk.  So you'll have some chance of an upset if you don't get blown off the board.  Personally, I'd be more worried about a lower rated player using the Keres against me and losing my way in a complicated position when I could have just slowly outplayed him in a Caro or something.

IP Logged

zepled37

I Love ChessPublishing!

Reply #4 - 08/30/11 at 16:58:11
Post Tools
ErictheRed wrote on 08/30/11 at 15:19:27:
I'd probably rather face the Keres than the Richter-Rauzer; every time I think of taking up the Classical the R-R scares me away.

You might consider using a Taimanov move order to get a Scheveningen: 1.e4 c5 2.Nf3 e6 3.d4 cd 4.Nxd4 Nc6.  Now if 5.Nc3 d6 6.g4 doesn't make as much sense when you can play some combination of ...Nxd4 and ...Nge7-c6.  Unfortunately you'll have to deal with 5.Nb5; something to think about, though.  Another drawback is that you can't play the ...Na6-c5 lines against the Sozin (6.Bc4, 7.Bb3).  Chess is full of trade-offs.

On the other hand, if you like the Scheveningen and there is only one line giving you headaches, there is a lot to be said for buying some material on that variation, doing a lot of work, and "out booking" your opponent.  Just make sure you understand the theory and aren't only memorizing lines.

Thanks, all.  I understand there are always trade offs... Sad  I guess the Rauzer just seems a little less scary to me than the Keres, but maybe not.  Of course, my Keres experience has mainly been against higher rated opponents so that's a factor.  I've considered the Taimanov as a "safer" option while still unbalanced and dynamic, but seems weird to me to be putting the bishop on c5 or b4 in some lines.  Probably silly I know...Probably the objectively best option is trying to "out book" my opponents in the Keres as mentioned, but I was interested in getting some help in flushing out the trade offs and pluses and minuses between these two opening choices.

Thanks for any additional feedback.

IP Logged

ErictheRed
God Member

USCF National Master

Reply #3 - 08/30/11 at 15:19:27
Post Tools
I'd probably rather face the Keres than the Richter-Rauzer; every time I think of taking up the Classical the R-R scares me away.

You might consider using a Taimanov move order to get a Scheveningen: 1.e4 c5 2.Nf3 e6 3.d4 cd 4.Nxd4 Nc6.  Now if 5.Nc3 d6 6.g4 doesn't make as much sense when you can play some combination of ...Nxd4 and ...Nge7-c6.  Unfortunately you'll have to deal with 5.Nb5; something to think about, though.  Another drawback is that you can't play the ...Na6-c5 lines against the Sozin (6.Bc4, 7.Bb3).  Chess is full of trade-offs.

On the other hand, if you like the Scheveningen and there is only one line giving you headaches, there is a lot to be said for buying some material on that variation, doing a lot of work, and "out booking" your opponent.  Just make sure you understand the theory and aren't only memorizing lines.

IP Logged

MNb
God Member

Rudolf Spielmann forever

Reply #2 - 08/30/11 at 14:39:20
Post Tools
You might consider buying The Safe Sicilian. No Sozin, no Richter-Rauser, no Keres and several transpositions to the Scheveningen (mainly if White plays g3 or Be2). It will allow you to play 2..e6. The only relevant extra option for White after 3.d4 cxd4 4.Nxd4 Nc6 5.Nb5 d6 6.c4.

Meeting the Sozin with 6...Qb6 does not solve all Black's problems. 7.Nxc6 bxc6 8.0-0 poses some problems.

The book had the effect good books usually have: it made the stupids more stupid, the intelligent more intelligent and the other thousands of readers remained unchanged.
GC Lichtenberg

IP Logged

agropop

Use your brain

Reply #1 - 08/30/11 at 12:39:01
Post Tools
If you want to play the Classical you should have a good weapon vs. Richter-Rauzer. If you manage to do this, you'll have a great defence against 1.e4. Good luck  Wink ...There are a few topics here if you are looking for ideas.
I supose that the R-R is the Keres attack of the classical, every opening choice has its problems.

IP Logged

zepled37

I Love ChessPublishing!

classical vs. scheveningen
08/30/11 at 11:44:43
Post Tools
I've always played the scheveningen sicilian, but the Keres attack is not much fun and I haven't had much luck with it.  I'm not all that strong a player (~1600) so it's not super important, but I am considering going to the classical instead to avoid the Keres and I can many times transpose to the Scheveningen anyway.  I would look at the Qb6 lines probably to avoid a lot of theory on the Sozin / Velimirovic.

Any opinions of the Classical vs. Scheveningen?  Only thing I don't like is that I like to play 2...e6 instead of d6, but the Moscow shouldn't be too big a deal.

thanks.

IP Logged

Bookmarks: del.icio.us Digg Facebook Google Google+ Linked in reddit StumbleUpon Twitter Yahoo