Latest Updates:
Very Hot Topic (More than 25 Replies) 1..d6 repertoire - new book due (Read 50837 times)
Michael Ayton
God Member

‘You’re never alone with
a doppelgänger.’

Re: 1..d6 repertoire - new book due
Reply #52 - 02/08/14 at 12:53:58
Post Tools
Can anyone comment on the relative merits of Barsky's and Lakdewala's coverage of 1 d4 d6 2 c4 e5 3 Nc3 and 3 d5, or their coverage of the Wade with 3 e4? (Do either of them provide a convincing counter to the standard h3/g4/Qe2 plan?)

IP Logged

JEH
God Member

"Football is like Chess,
only without the dice."

Reply #51 - 08/25/12 at 10:55:29
Post Tools
Glenn Snow wrote on 08/25/12 at 08:11:08:
Yeah, I can see what you mean.  What did you find against 11...Re8? (This is mentioned in the book and transposes to what I proposed if 12.Qh4 Ne5.)

That's the Maze (2579) - Bocharov (2647), Moscow 2009 game. High level GM with Black and relatively recent game, so promising. I look at the games with an engine, but also with my own eyes. Part of my human assessment is, if presented with a position without knowing the engine evaluation, what is the likelyhood of me, or my opponent finding the good moves.

Consider White's 17th move. How many of you would play 17. Bg5 here, developing the remaining White piece with tempo? If you would, well done, you've improved on the play of a 2600 GM.

White does have to play accurately but does seem to get a stable advantage. After the line I give, the engine evaluation is about 0.5 favouring White.

I'm not saying Black is lost here, but what is bugging me about this position is the Bc8. When I first started looking at this defence over 10 years ago, one of the proposed "refutations" was in this line but with 6. de de 7. f5, locking in this poor piece. But it can come out via b7 or a6, and this is essential to Black's game.

But Cyrus's line here just seems to open the position too early, spend too much time developing, and not generate counterplay quickly enough to put White off a potentially dangerous attack.

Those who want to go by my perverse footsteps play such pawn structure with fuzzy atypical still strategic orientations

Clowns to the left of me, jokers to the right, stuck in the middlegame with you

IP Logged

Glenn Snow
God Member

Reply #50 - 08/25/12 at 08:11:08
Post Tools
JEH wrote on 08/24/12 at 15:49:47:
Glenn Snow wrote on 08/24/12 at 14:56:32:
I know Black's playing with fire here but is there a refutation to the obvious looking 11...Ne5 ?(After 1.  e4 d6 2.d4 Nf6 3.Nc3 c6 4.f4 Qa5 5.Bd3 e5 6.Nf3 exd4 7.Nxd4 g6 8.O-O Bg7 9.Kh1 O-O 10.f5! Nbd7 11.Qe1!)  If 12.Qh4, then 12...Re8. 

Ne5 is one of the unplayed but plausable looking choices which I looked at as it was Deep Rybka's favourite choice. But keep pushing the engine down its main variation, and it starts to get less plausable, even to my human eyes  Sad

Yeah, I can see what you mean.  What did you find against 11...Re8? (This is mentioned in the book and transposes to what I proposed if 12.Qh4 Ne5.)

IP Logged

JEH
God Member

"Football is like Chess,
only without the dice."

Reply #49 - 08/24/12 at 17:45:57
Post Tools
Michael Ayton wrote on 08/24/12 at 07:30:55:
Took a look too at Blatny's 6 ...Nbd7. Conclusion: another good line if you need a bath. Sad

Actually, I think this may be Black's best hope in this line, but not covered by Cyrus, or  in indeed I think any of the various books and DVDs that have be produced on the Czech defence (I think I have them all).

It's still the play against the e pawn after exd4 at some point, which White foolishly weaknened on move 1, but after a bit of hunkering down and without spending a tempo weakening the dark squares around the Kingside. When I want to do that, I do it on move 3  Wink

White should probably get a stable advantage, but it can evapourate quite quickly, and there's plenty of middle game play. I have some analysis on it, but it's mine, all mine, muah ha ha...

Those who want to go by my perverse footsteps play such pawn structure with fuzzy atypical still strategic orientations

IP Logged

JEH
God Member

"Football is like Chess,
only without the dice."

Reply #48 - 08/24/12 at 17:31:40
Post Tools
I know Black's playing with fire here but is there a refutation to the obvious looking 11...Ne5 ?(After 1.  e4 d6 2.d4 Nf6 3.Nc3 c6 4.f4 Qa5 5.Bd3 e5 6.Nf3 exd4 7.Nxd4 g6 8.O-O Bg7 9.Kh1 O-O 10.f5! Nbd7 11.Qe1!)  If 12.Qh4, then 12...Re8. 

Here's some lines I looked at after 11. ...Ne5. Would be great if someone could salvage something for Black here, but I think I've flogged this variation enough to strike it from my choices. White's moves don't look like difficult finds over the board either.

IP Logged

JEH
God Member

"Football is like Chess,
only without the dice."

Reply #47 - 08/24/12 at 15:49:47
Post Tools

Ne5 is one of the unplayed but plausable looking choices which I looked at as it was Deep Rybka's favourite choice. But keep pushing the engine down its main variation, and it starts to get less plausable, even to my human eyes  Sad

IP Logged

Glenn Snow
God Member

Reply #46 - 08/24/12 at 14:56:32
Post Tools

IP Logged

Michael Ayton
God Member

‘You’re never alone with
a doppelgänger.’

Reply #45 - 08/24/12 at 07:30:55
Post Tools
Yes, took a look at this last night. Conclusion: even Ayton might have to face facts. Took a look too at Blatny's 6 ...Nbd7. Conclusion: another good line if you need a bath. Sad

IP Logged

Bibs
God Member

Reply #44 - 08/24/12 at 07:04:55
Post Tools
JEH wrote on 08/23/12 at 22:11:24:
Michael Ayton wrote on 08/20/12 at 23:08:28:
Hi JEH. I haven't got the book but I took a look at 6 Bd3 f5!? and I agree with you! Can you say more about why you don't like the 5 Bd3 e5 6 Nf3 ed!? variation though? I thought it looked complex and unclear.

OK, this is what I don't like

There are only 4 games in this line in Megabase. Cyrus mentions all of them, plus a theoretically uninportant internet rapid game of his own. Greet mentions one of them.

So we have games where Black has tried a6, Nc5, Re8, and Ng4. Other tries like Qb6 or Ne5 are possible too. But in each case, I just think White is better. Cyrus gives a6 as his main game, but White's play can be improved (check game 23 for yourself if you have the book, White has many better moves than e.g.  14. Nd5, which makes Cyrus's remark about that move somewhat lame  Huh).

But this exd4/g6 stuff is just a subvariation of a sideline in an unusual defence, so hardly the end of things, but I wouldn't want to go down this particular line as Black as I think...

http://media.sfx.co.uk/files/itsclobberintime200.jpg

Yeah, I mentioned this a wee bit earlier, though vaguely. Compared Greet v Lakdwala, found the latter la(c)king. Brain on, PC on, play through, seemed to me that black is simply scheduled for an early bath. Poor line to choose. Very poor.

IP Logged

JEH
God Member

"Football is like Chess,
only without the dice."

Reply #43 - 08/23/12 at 23:24:56
Post Tools
While I'm here, I can't resist mentioning this line (which is in Cyrus's book too)

I first became aware of this line (and the game Suetin - Hodgson 1991) from ... dare I mention it ... Eric Schiller's Gambit Opening Repertoire for White. Hodgson played Qxa2.

What's never been mentioned, for reasons probably due to the Hounds of Tindalos rising from the very corners of this position, is what my computer suggested some years back, and still suggests now, as one of Black's best moves in this position of random chaos.

It want me to play 13. ...g5  Huh

Check it with your engines. Yes, Queens hovering, King's quivering, and it wants to spurn that pawn munch on a2, and move a pawn from the comfy protection of two pawns, unprotected, into the welcoming arms of 3 enemy pieces!

I think it is telling us, "Look, humans, some positions are not for you  Smiley"

But it's a lovely interference sac.

IP Logged

JEH
God Member

"Football is like Chess,
only without the dice."

Reply #42 - 08/23/12 at 22:11:24
Post Tools
Hi JEH. I haven't got the book but I took a look at 6 Bd3 f5!? and I agree with you! Can you say more about why you don't like the 5 Bd3 e5 6 Nf3 ed!? variation though? I thought it looked complex and unclear.

OK, this is what I don't like

There are only 4 games in this line in Megabase. Cyrus mentions all of them, plus a theoretically uninportant internet rapid game of his own. Greet mentions one of them.

So we have games where Black has tried a6, Nc5, Re8, and Ng4. Other tries like Qb6 or Ne5 are possible too. But in each case, I just think White is better. Cyrus gives a6 as his main game, but White's play can be improved (check game 23 for yourself if you have the book, White has many better moves than e.g.  14. Nd5, which makes Cyrus's remark about that move somewhat lame  Huh).

But this exd4/g6 stuff is just a subvariation of a sideline in an unusual defence, so hardly the end of things, but I wouldn't want to go down this particular line as Black as I think...

IP Logged

JEH
God Member

"Football is like Chess,
only without the dice."

Reply #41 - 08/21/12 at 12:06:10
Post Tools

That's a fair assesment, and in answer to your query, most accurate would be that I haven't spent enough time analysing the position yet after the critical 10. f5 , but might do at some point as another option would be handy. There is virtually no theory here (about 4 games I think) which is both a good and a bad thing.

IP Logged

Glenn Snow
God Member

Reply #40 - 08/21/12 at 05:14:58
Post Tools
Just thought I'd add my two cents here.  If White always played the aggressive 4.f4 I think I might play this defence (I looked at this quite a lot although of course still not certain about the theoretical verdict.).  However the variations with 4.Nf3 Bg4 look pretty bad to me whether Black goes for the ...h6 var. or the ...h5 var.  (at least Houdini made them look that way) Maybe Black can go back to Modern/Pirc variations as was discussed earlier but he has lost some options.

IP Logged

Michael Ayton
God Member

‘You’re never alone with
a doppelgänger.’

Reply #39 - 08/20/12 at 23:08:28
Post Tools
Hi JEH. I haven't got the book but I took a look at 6 Bd3 f5!? and I agree with you! Can you say more about why you don't like the 5 Bd3 e5 6 Nf3 ed!? variation though? I thought it looked complex and unclear. One fun line (daft, sure, but it shows some of Black's resources) is 7 Nd4 g6 8 Nf3 Bg7 9 0-0 0-0 10 Qe1 Bg4 11 f5 Bf3!? 12 Rf3 Nbd7 13 Qh4?! (13 Kh1!?) Ne5 14 Rh3? (14 Rf1) h5 15 Bg5 Nfg4 -- though here engines suggest 13 …h6!? might be even stronger!

The real problem I (so far) think is with 4 Nf3 Bg4!?, but I'm prepared to believe Black can nullify White's space with care. Last time I looked I preferred ...h6 to ..h5 here -- anyone got any views? In any case, I'm not put off the opening, 'cos I believe 4 Nf3 c6!? is OK and interesting. There's some good ChessPub stuff on this. Smiley

IP Logged

JEH
God Member

"Football is like Chess,
only without the dice."

Reply #38 - 08/20/12 at 21:58:50
Post Tools
fling wrote on 08/20/12 at 21:09:34:
JEH wrote on 08/20/12 at 20:49:16:
The problem though, is 5. Bd3. I think Emms has pretty much got this defence nailed in Beating unusual chess defences.

This is Greet, IIRC.

Sorry, you're right, it's by Andrew Greet.

IP Logged

fling
God Member

I Love ChessPublishing!

Reply #37 - 08/20/12 at 21:09:34
Post Tools
JEH wrote on 08/20/12 at 20:49:16:
The problem though, is 5. Bd3. I think Emms has pretty much got this defence nailed in Beating unusual chess defences.

This is Greet, IIRC.

IP Logged

JEH
God Member

"Football is like Chess,
only without the dice."

Reply #36 - 08/20/12 at 20:49:16
Post Tools

I've been checking over some of the critical Austrian attack lines in this book. I've looked at these lines a fair bit over the years myself.

The suggestions against  5. e5 are interesting. I've played this defence quite a lot, and after 5. ...Ne4, everyone has played 6. Qf3 against me. I've tried different moves here, but I like the f5 idea, leading to a game with an unusual structure and no theory.

I've looked at the ideas after 6. Bd3 too, and Black seems to get interesting play.

With 6. ...Bg4 I think White is just better.

6. ...Nbd7 is I think a little more promising, but there are better defences to grovel for equality with.

Lakdawala suggests 6. ...exd4. Sorry, I don't like it  Undecided.

White's f5/Qe1/Bh6 mechanical attacking plan is well known from a number of openings, and the advice "check how computers defend this position" doesn't help to convince me  Sad

IP Logged

Michael Ayton
God Member

‘You’re never alone with
a doppelgänger.’

Reply #35 - 08/07/12 at 07:59:28
Post Tools
Thanks for this moahunter -- I'm interested that L. thinks ...h6 deserving of attention as well as ...h5.

I don't think you need worry about giving too much away -- you've sorely tempted me to buy the book, which is surely as it should be! Meanwhile I hope there'll be more discussion in this thread of some concrete lines (L.'s or others') ...

IP Logged

moahunter

I Love ChessPublishing!

Reply #34 - 08/07/12 at 01:06:50
Post Tools
Michael Ayton wrote on 08/07/12 at 00:19:16:
Wow! 6 Qf3 (I've no idea how many people might play this, but it looks logical to me) f5!? (assuming that's what you mean) is certainly combative and unbalancing. I'd had it down as not too hot after 7 ef Nf6 8 Bd2, but I'd looked at it only very superficially -- will take another look.

I'm not sure how much of the book I should give up, he says he analyzed f5 with Levon Altounian at his IM/GM norm tournament, but two games are:

Stearns - Altounian, San Francisco 2001
Brynell - Persson, Linkoping 2001

Quote:
I like the list of 'advantages' L. gives. But re the games he covers, I don't know Wonnell-L. or Ledger-Hodgson, but none of the others features the e4 line I quoted. Is this suspicious? I'd still be interested to know, when you've had the chance for a good look, if L. covers this properly and what you think of his coverage. White seems to score 60% plus here, though the sample is limited and I've no idea how significant the stats might be.

What are the first few moves in your line before 4.Nf3? I think this might be Pribyl chapter not Wade. He gives h5 and h6 as possible 8th moves, with games for each (h6 being more complicated, fluid, and less committal)

Agamaliev - Malaniuk, Swidnica 1997
Berczes - Tischbierek, German League, 2007

IP Logged

Michael Ayton
God Member

‘You’re never alone with
a doppelgänger.’

Reply #33 - 08/07/12 at 00:19:16
Post Tools
Wow! 6 Qf3 (I've no idea how many people might play this, but it looks logical to me) f5!? (assuming that's what you mean) is certainly combative and unbalancing. I'd had it down as not too hot after 7 ef Nf6 8 Bd2, but I'd looked at it only very superficially -- will take another look.

I like the list of 'advantages' L. gives. But re the games he covers, I don't know Wonnell-L. or Ledger-Hodgson, but none of the others features the e4 line I quoted. Is this suspicious? I'd still be interested to know, when you've had the chance for a good look, if L. covers this properly and what you think of his coverage. White seems to score 60% plus here, though the sample is limited and I've no idea how significant the stats might be.

IP Logged

moahunter

I Love ChessPublishing!

Reply #32 - 08/06/12 at 21:23:41
Post Tools
[quote author=585B5157360 link=1315346070/31#31 date=1344275841]The Pribyl could well be a shocker for opponents, I quite agree. But having taken a look at it recently I was tempted to agree with an earlier comment by MNb (in another thread) to the effect that the critical line(s) left Black's position looking perhaps a bit prospectless. I'm thinking here of 3 Nc3 c6 4 f4 Qa5 5 e5 Ne4 6 Qf3 d5 (6 ...Nc3 I find boring -- is that just me?) [/quote]
The book prefers f5 as avoids some lines (which are shown), black plays a c5 break. I wonder in practice if many people will play Qf3?

[quote]The doubts I had about the Wade led me to explore the Pirc option discussed above, which I believe to be OK for Black. (Sorry, Glenn, I should have said that before.) As I mention in reply #19, White has various tenth-move options (after 4 Nf3 Bg4 5 h3 Bh5 6 Qe2 e6 7 g4 Bg6 8 h4 h5 9 g5 Nfd7) that have scored well. Can you, without giving away too much of course, tell us if you think Lakdawala makes a good case for Black?[/quote]
I'm not really sure, I just thought looked an interesting mix. In the intro he writes:

"I realize some readers may be ideologically suspicious of such a plan, but bear with me. Some advantages of the Wade variation:

1. It is strategically combative and we create an imbalance from the start.
2. We immediately evict our opponents from their theoretical comfort zones. Can you think of another opening where Black gets White thinking on move three?
3. We retain a super-fluid pawn structure which bends to our will...
4. Stats have Black scoring 47%, slightly above average."

Games are:

Nielsen - Svidler, Copenhagen 2010
Pinter - Cristiansen, Reggio Emilia 1987
Topalov - Adams, Dortmund 1996
Filippov - Czerwonski, Voronezh, 1998
Wonnell - Lakdawala, San Diego, 2011
Ledger - Hodgson, Southend 1998
Tisdall - Gulko, San Francisco 1995

IP Logged

Michael Ayton
God Member

‘You’re never alone with
a doppelgänger.’

Reply #31 - 08/06/12 at 17:57:21
Post Tools
The Pribyl could well be a shocker for opponents, I quite agree. But having taken a look at it recently I was tempted to agree with an earlier comment by MNb (in another thread) to the effect that the critical line(s) left Black's position looking perhaps a bit prospectless. I'm thinking here of 3 Nc3 c6 4 f4 Qa5 5 e5 Ne4 6 Qf3 d5 (6 ...Nc3 I find boring -- is that just me?) 7 Bd3, when [u]7 ...Na6[/u] doesn't look too enticing to me after 8 Nge2, e.g. 8 ...Nb4 9 f5 Nd3 10 cd Nc3 11 bc e6 12 f6. Of course Black has options and maybe [u]7 ...c5[/u] is a way to go, e.g. 8 Be4 de 9 Qe4 cd 10 Qd4 Bf5 11 Qf2 e6 12 Nge2 Nc6 13 Be3 Bc2!?. Does Lakdawala succeed in making any of these (or other) lines inspiring?

The doubts I had about the Wade led me to explore the Pirc option discussed above, which I believe to be OK for Black. (Sorry, Glenn, I should have said that before.) As I mention in reply #19, White has various tenth-move options (after 4 Nf3 Bg4 5 h3 Bh5 6 Qe2 e6 7 g4 Bg6 8 h4 h5 9 g5 Nfd7) that have scored well. Can you, without giving away too much of course, tell us if you think Lakdawala makes a good case for Black?

IP Logged

moahunter

I Love ChessPublishing!

Reply #30 - 08/06/12 at 16:50:18
Post Tools
I purchased the ebook, I like it a lot. I have been playing a mix of Philidor and "Explosive chess repertoire" type lines for a while, but the Czech Pribyl will be a nice addition for me. I hope not to many people pick it up lol, as it will surprise unprepared players I think, esp. the Austrian lines.

The Wade lines are a bit weird, some going into Carpathian warrior type territory, which I'm not sure about. Wade is an issue for d6 repertoire.

A couple of mostly positive reviews:

Checkpoint, chesscafe:

http://www.chesscafe.com/text/hansen157.pdf

Marsh Towers:

http://marshtowers.blogspot.ca/2011/12/chess-reviews-191.html

I like the ebook format, although index doesn't always link to the first game of the chapter. This book isn't a theoretical tomb for more advanced players, but it will provide a good overview of ideas for someone like me (around 1800).

For example, in one game there is a comment to the effect that you will learn when to push d5 (or e5) through experience in the positions. I like this approach - i.e. its not a memorizing long lines type of book, more about the ideas, which is right for this sort of opening.

IP Logged

Glenn Snow
God Member

Reply #29 - 05/09/12 at 18:57:39
Post Tools
Kaufman doesn't mention 7...b6.  I'm not sure what the evaluation should be but I'd definitely prefer this to the main lines of 4...Bg4 (After 1.e4 d6 2.d4 Nf6 3.Nc3 c6 4.Nf3) as those look truly awful for Black.

IP Logged

Michael Ayton
God Member

‘You’re never alone with
a doppelgänger.’

Reply #28 - 05/09/12 at 14:01:27
Post Tools
Thanks Glenn. Not good for Black, I agree -- but maybe Black can avoid this by using the move order 7 ...b6 8 Be2 Nbd7, as favoured by Marin ...?

Where should discussion of this line go? Part of me thinks it belongs in an Accelerated Classical Pirc thread; the other part is happy with it here, since preparedness to play against the A. C. with ...c6 already in can logically be part of a 1 ...d6 repertoire.
« Last Edit: 05/09/12 at 15:51:06 by Michael Ayton »  

IP Logged

Glenn Snow
God Member

Reply #27 - 05/09/12 at 01:36:52
Post Tools
[quote author=595A5056370 link=1315346070/26#26 date=1336514412]Thanks Glenn. I somehow knew the Be3 lines would be the test, but obviously I had a late-night blind spot in not even noticing the (in)famous variation that this is! I guess the line is best explored in another thread, but just quickly, does Kaufman show a serious White edge in the line 7 …Nbd7 8 Be2 Qc7 9 0-0 (9 Nd2 b6; 9 a5 Rb8 10 0-0 b5) b6 10 Qd2 (10 Re1 Bb7 11 Qd2 Rad8) Bb7?[/quote]

In the 9 a5 Rb8 10 0-0 b5 variation (although he gives a different order of moves) he likes 11.axb6 axb6 12.d5 Bb7 13.Nd4 and eventually what I suppose he believes is a White edge.

IP Logged

Michael Ayton
God Member

‘You’re never alone with
a doppelgänger.’

Reply #26 - 05/08/12 at 22:00:12
Post Tools
Thanks Glenn. I somehow knew the Be3 lines would be the test, but obviously I had a late-night blind spot in not even noticing the (in)famous variation that this is! I guess the line is best explored in another thread, but just quickly, does Kaufman show a serious White edge in the line 7 …Nbd7 8 Be2 Qc7 9 0-0 (9 Nd2 b6; 9 a5 Rb8 10 0-0 b5) b6 10 Qd2 (10 Re1 Bb7 11 Qd2 Rad8) Bb7?

IP Logged

Glenn Snow
God Member

Reply #25 - 05/03/12 at 15:08:24
Post Tools
[quote author=3D3E3432530 link=1315346070/24#24 date=1335979002]Thanks Glenn but what is White's sixth (or fourth?) move in this line? -- in my line the White KN is already on f3.[/quote]

Sorry, I did put that in wrong it should have been 6.Be3.

IP Logged

Michael Ayton
God Member

‘You’re never alone with
a doppelgänger.’

Reply #24 - 05/02/12 at 17:16:42
Post Tools
Thanks Glenn but what is White's sixth (or fourth?) move in this line? -- in my line the White KN is already on f3.

IP Logged

Glenn Snow
God Member

Reply #23 - 05/02/12 at 15:46:06
Post Tools
[quote author=3A393335540 link=1315346070/21#21 date=1335361491][quote]1. e4, d6 2. d4, Nf6 3. Nc3, c6 4. Nf3, Bg4 is chapter 1, The Default Variation. Lakdawala leads it into waters that are definitely Non-Pirc.[/quote]

Yes, thanks, I realise that. My question was, if Black thinks these lines are inadequate can he usefully play [u]4 ...g6[/u] instead of 4 ...Bg4, or can White gain a clear advantage here (and if so how?)?[/quote]

[i]The Kaufman Repertoire for Black & White[/i] gives 4...g6 5.h3 Bg7 6.Nf3 0-0 7.a4 as leading to an advantage for White in all variations.  Too much to repeat here and of course this can be debated.  Since this book covers a lot of ground a lot of options aren't given.

IP Logged

nyoke
God Member

I Love ChessPublishing!

Reply #22 - 04/27/12 at 13:46:39
Post Tools
Why, 4... g6 just returns to a Pirc, ...c6 variation.
Not the most popular, but OK as far as I know.

IP Logged

Michael Ayton
God Member

‘You’re never alone with
a doppelgänger.’

Reply #21 - 04/25/12 at 13:44:51
Post Tools
[quote]1. e4, d6 2. d4, Nf6 3. Nc3, c6 4. Nf3, Bg4 is chapter 1, The Default Variation. Lakdawala leads it into waters that are definitely Non-Pirc.[/quote]

Yes, thanks, I realise that. My question was, if Black thinks these lines are inadequate can he usefully play [u]4 ...g6[/u] instead of 4 ...Bg4, or can White gain a clear advantage here (and if so how?)?

IP Logged

nyoke
God Member

I Love ChessPublishing!

Reply #20 - 04/24/12 at 17:57:42
Post Tools
Michael,

1. e4, d6 2. d4, Nf6 3. Nc3, c6 4. Nf3, Bg4 is chapter 1, The Default Variation. Lakdawala leads it into waters that are definitely Non-Pirc.

IP Logged

Michael Ayton
God Member

‘You’re never alone with
a doppelgänger.’

Reply #19 - 04/20/12 at 16:48:54
Post Tools
Anyone got any further thoughts on this? Does Lakdawala succeed in showing 4 Nf3 Bg4 to be OK? White has quite a few tenth-move options in this line, and last time I looked Black's score was poor ...

This latter thought got me looking at 4 ...g6!?, and wondering if White has better than a mainline Classical Pirc. You'd have thought he might or 4 Nf3 c6!? might be more common, but I'm not sure what. On [u]5 Be3[/u] Nbd7, 6 Qd2 e5 and 6 h3 e5 are given as OK by Vigus (on pp. 319 and 324 respectively). White can play [u]5 Bc4[/u], [u]5 Bg5[/u] or [u]5 a4[/u], but presumably these aren't too critical? Maybe [u]5 h3[/u] Bg7 (5 ...Nbd7 is rare here) 6 Be3 is the way to go, when Black has 6 ...0-0, 6 ...Nbd7 or 6 ...Qc7 (as played by McNab)? Any thoughts?

IP Logged

JEH
God Member

"Football is like Chess,
only without the dice."

Reply #18 - 02/21/12 at 17:14:36
Post Tools
I was going to write up my thoughts on this book when I'd had a chance to go through it properly, but since possissing it for quite a while now, I still haven't.
Like the Amazon reviewer, I've skimmed through it a few times, and picked up on some interesting ideas which I'd need to examine. I play 1. ...d6 almost
exclusively and so am interesting to see some new things.

For example 1. e4 d6 2. d4 Nf6 3. Nc3 c6 4. f4 Qa5 5. e5 Ne4 6. Qf3/Bd3 f5 !?

usual is 6. ...d5. I saw f5 in Megabase years ago which had been played very litte, but seemed playable, although my score is 0/2, one embarressing loss to an IM  Embarrassed, and one where my
opponent was awarded a best game prize  Shocked.
First book to cover it I think, and so one I'll be picking over at some point.

Another of his lines vs 5. e5 involves an early d5 and c5, i.e. wasting two tempi after playing d6 and c6, followed by a further time wasting pawn grab, as played by Hodgson once  Huh. This might
be one of those lines you can only get away with if you are a computer or a GM though .

Against the other main 4. f4 line, 5. Bd3, he recommends a very early ed chop followed by a Kingside fiancetto. Hmm, something else I'd not seen before, although I'm sure covered in Khalifmann's According to Anand Book, so I can play battle of the books here. My gut feel is maybe a bit too
provocative, but again I'll pick it over at some point.

Not gone through the 1. d4 d6 lines much, as not spotted anything leaping out at me as new ideas. Hubner - Kasparov in there for 2. c4 e5 3. Nc3 - one of my favourite games and an inspiration for this line.

IP Logged

Vass
God Member

I Love ChessPublishing!

Reply #17 - 02/21/12 at 16:11:46
Post Tools
nyoke wrote on 02/21/12 at 15:29:43:
Has anybody seen a decent review, yet ?

Only this one:
http://www.amazon.com/1-d6-Move-Everyman-Chess/product-reviews/1857446836/ref=cm...

While the info for the contents is:

Contents:

Series Foreword   4

Bibliography   5

Introduction   7

Part I: 1 e4 d6
1 The Default Variation   15
2 Pribyl/Rat versus the Austrian Attack: 5 e5   62
3 Pribyl/Rat versus the Austrian Attack: 5 Bd3 and others   110
4 Fourth Move Alternatives   179
5 Second and Third Move Alternatives   209

Part II: 1 d4 and Others
6 1 d4 d6 2 c4 e5   240
7 The Wade Variation: 1 d4 d6 2 Nf3 Bg4   314
8 English, King’s Indian Attack and Others   366

Index of Variations   396

Index of Complete Games   399

Cool

IP Logged

nyoke
God Member

I Love ChessPublishing!

Reply #16 - 02/21/12 at 15:29:43
Post Tools
Has anybody seen a decent review, yet ?

IP Logged

Carld

I Love ChessPublishing!

Reply #15 - 02/18/12 at 00:11:31
Post Tools
JEH wrote on 09/25/11 at 22:06:34:
glut wrote on 09/25/11 at 18:23:47:
but found it produced quite dry middle games and my interest dwindled.

I could only dream of a dry middle game, usually I was getting a pounding.

I will use that as a excuse to attach my loss to GM  Evgeny Sveshnikov who dispatched me in fine tactical fashion  Cool

Interesting game. You held your own for 18 moves at least  Smiley

IP Logged

HgMan
God Member

Demand me nothing: What
you know, you know

Reply #14 - 11/28/11 at 13:32:31
Post Tools
Anyone seen this yet?

"Luck favours the prepared mind."  --Louis Pasteur

IP Logged

Stigma
God Member

There is a crack in everything.

Reply #13 - 10/06/11 at 18:10:14
Post Tools
JEH wrote on 10/06/11 at 16:12:19:
I think 4. a4 and also 4. Nf3 followed by meeting Bg4 with the aggressive h3/Qe2/g4 plan are good systems, but 4. f4 is quite easy for White too.

I can imagine the thought process in some of my opponents head when meeting c6 for the first time.

They might ponder why g6 seems to be more common than c6, and then consider that the best ways to meet the Austrian in the Pirc are c5, Nc6 or Na6/c5, all of which Black has just now curtailed with c6, so they play f4.

Qa5 then sends them into another think, but developing naturally behind that big center are just natuaral moves to find. 5. e5 and 5. Bd3 are both good.

What's the point of the Czech/Pribyl? I've usually played 4.f4 Qa5 5.e5 Ne4 6.Bd3 Nxc3 7.Qd2 followed by bxc3. Sure, White will have to move his queen again but so will Black probably, and meanwhile White has a space advantage while Black has nothing much to crow about. What am I missing?

Improvement begins at the edge of your comfort zone. -Jonathan Rowson

IP Logged

Tsorf
YaBB Newbies

I love chess, 40Pound
Flathead too

Looks nice
Reply #12 - 10/06/11 at 17:19:47
Post Tools
opening d6 regardless of whites opening is discussed in an older book "
An Explosive Chess Opening Repertoire for Black"

It will be nice to have a new version.

Sounds intriguing
1...d6 can be employed as a universal defence to any White opening, making it an ideal practical weapon for Black. In this book, Cyrus Lakdawala invites you to join him in examining a cocktail of challenging lines with 1...d6. He shares his experience and knowledge, studies the typical plans and tactics for both sides, and provides answers to all the key questions.

IP Logged

JEH
God Member

"Football is like Chess,
only without the dice."

Reply #11 - 10/06/11 at 16:12:19
Post Tools
Smyslov_Fan wrote on 10/06/11 at 15:33:49:
I ran the game through my analysis engine at blitz pace. It thought White blundered with 15.Ng3?! and 17.Ng5?? If you had found 18...Bc3! instead of 18...Bg4, you were clearly better!

White did miss 15.Ng5! which would have won on the spot though.

Thanks Smyslov_Fan. I think I was rather punch drunk towards the end of this game, and assuming I was just lost. Also Sveshnikov seems to have been getting casual with his moves. There's an important lesson here  Exclaim

I think 4. a4 and also 4. Nf3 followed by meeting Bg4 with the aggressive h3/Qe2/g4 plan are good systems, but 4. f4 is quite easy for White too.

I can imagine the thought process in some of my opponents head when meeting c6 for the first time.

They might ponder why g6 seems to be more common than c6, and then consider that the best ways to meet the Austrian in the Pirc are c5, Nc6 or Na6/c5, all of which Black has just now curtailed with c6, so they play f4.

Qa5 then sends them into another think, but developing naturally behind that big center are just natuaral moves to find. 5. e5 and 5. Bd3 are both good.

IP Logged

Smyslov_Fan
God Member
Correspondence fan

Progress depends on the
unreasonable man. ~GBS

Reply #10 - 10/06/11 at 15:33:49
Post Tools
I ran the game through my analysis engine at blitz pace. It thought White blundered with 15.Ng3?! and 17.Ng5?? If you had found 18...Bc3! instead of 18...Bg4, you were clearly better!

White did miss 15.Ng5! which would have won on the spot though.

IP Logged

BlunderKing
YaBB Newbies

I Love ChessPublishing!

Reply #9 - 10/06/11 at 08:43:31
Post Tools
this line was the reason i've quit this opening. Even patzers are able to find the moves. I'd love to know, what Lakdawala will recommend against the f4 setup.

IP Logged

JEH
God Member

"Football is like Chess,
only without the dice."

Reply #8 - 09/26/11 at 15:40:32
Post Tools
glut wrote on 09/26/11 at 15:04:32:
Ooof. Yes thanks for sharing that one - out of curiosity how long did he think over moves like Bc4; Bxf7 and Ng3? I ask because with the benefit of the complete game it looks like one of these effortless GM crush games but in reality was he sweating or did he have it all under control?

Pretty effortless. I didn't record the times, but I don't think he spent more than 5-10 mins on those moves. I was using a lot of my own time though, so he was using that.

I regret not asking for a post-mortem. I think he would have done so.

IP Logged

glut
YaBB Newbies

I Love ChessPublishing!

Reply #7 - 09/26/11 at 15:04:32
Post Tools
Ooof. Yes thanks for sharing that one - out of curiosity how long did he think over moves like Bc4; Bxf7 and Ng3? I ask because with the benefit of the complete game it looks like one of these effortless GM crush games but in reality was he sweating or did he have it all under control?

IP Logged

Vass
God Member

I Love ChessPublishing!

Reply #6 - 09/26/11 at 07:18:13
Post Tools
JEH wrote on 09/25/11 at 22:06:34:

I will use that as a excuse to attach my loss to GM  Evgeny Sveshnikov who dispatched me in fine tactical fashion  Cool

Wow! What a game! Sorry you weren't with white here..  Cheesy

IP Logged

JEH
God Member

"Football is like Chess,
only without the dice."

Reply #5 - 09/25/11 at 22:06:34
Post Tools

Sveshnikov-JEH.pgn ( 0 KB | 187 Downloads )

IP Logged

glut
YaBB Newbies

I Love ChessPublishing!

Reply #4 - 09/25/11 at 18:23:47
Post Tools
I played a season with the czech pirc a few years back (Andrew Martin did a handy videotape  Smiley back then) but found it produced quite dry middle games and my interest dwindled.

I will probably end up buying this anyway- no will power.

readily agree with JEH on the Wade, but interesting to note such a relative recent flood on 1d4 d6 2c4 e5 (eg Barsky; this; Davies) when there was so little on this for many years (explosive repertoire excepted).

IP Logged

JEH
God Member

"Football is like Chess,
only without the dice."

Reply #3 - 09/24/11 at 10:55:34
Post Tools
Isolani wrote on 09/24/11 at 09:06:35:
TN wrote on 09/07/11 at 08:37:24:
No idea, but here are the possibilities:

1.e4:

a) Pirc, probably meeting the Austrian with 5...c5
b) Phillidor, with 3...e5 and 3...Nbd7
c) Modern, probably the ...a6 lines since the alternatives don't really cut it

None of these; it's the Pribyl. A surprising but interesting choice since there aren't many books on this line.
There is a paper book sample available.

I've played this system quite a lot, although I thought it was called it the Czech, or Czech Pirc.

The Wade, I wasn't so keen on, preferring to transpose to a KID. I'll have a look at what this author's got, maybe give it another try.

Hmm, lots of interesting opening books on stuff I play lately.

IP Logged

Isolani
YaBB Newbies

I Love ChessPublishing!

Reply #2 - 09/24/11 at 09:06:35
Post Tools
TN wrote on 09/07/11 at 08:37:24:

1.e4:

None of these; it's the Pribyl. A surprising but interesting choice since there aren't many books on this line.
There is a paper book sample available.

IP Logged

TN
God Member

Reply #1 - 09/07/11 at 08:37:24
Post Tools

1.e4:

1.d4:

a) Barsky's repertoire (2.c4 e5; 2.Nf3 Bg4)
b) Old Indian (2.c4/2.Nf3 Nf6), either with ...Bf5 sidelines or the serious lines with ...e5/...Nbd7 etc
c) Modern (aka Averbach Variation or The Rat), probably with ...e5 at some stage
d) Leningrad Dutch - unlikely as this alone could take a whole book

1.c4: Probably 1...d6 followed by 2...e5 but maybe 2...g6 will be given.

1.Nf3: Ditto.

Other moves: I don't know if they will be covered.

If I had to guess I would say a vs. 1.e4 and b vs. 1.d4 with c given as a backup line.

All our dreams come true if we have the courage to pursue them.

IP Logged

glut
YaBB Newbies

I Love ChessPublishing!

1..d6 repertoire - new book due
09/06/11 at 21:54:30
Post Tools
Any hunch as to what lines this is likely to cover? I don't know the author's repertoire for example

http://www.everymanchess.com/chess/books/1___d6%3A_Move_by_Move

IP Logged

Bookmarks: del.icio.us Digg Facebook Google Google+ Linked in reddit StumbleUpon Twitter Yahoo