Latest Updates:
Normal Topic The Sicilian Taimanov: Move by Move (Read 9709 times)
Gilchrist is a legend
God Member

Re: The Sicilian Taimanov: Move by Move
Reply #8 - 04/13/12 at 23:41:43
Post Tools

Creo lo que creo no importa lo que creen los demás.

IP Logged

Mortal Games
God Member

Reply #7 - 04/10/12 at 08:40:31
Post Tools
After writing the book, Emms said that he ( a lifelong Nimzo) had learned a lot maybe because of the flexibility of the opening and the possibility of new variations to appear.
In Chesscafe this book gets 5 stars and I cannot see a diference to other more talked books that in the end get 5 stars too!  Smiley
I guess if someone turns on the computer and starts analysing a big book like for example Lakdawala Slav or Emms, in the end will have learn a lot.

It has been said that chess players are good at two things, Chess and Excuses.  It has also been said that Chess is where all excuses fail! In order to win you must dare to fail!

IP Logged

ErictheRed
God Member

USCF National Master

Reply #6 - 04/05/12 at 14:27:32
Post Tools
Gilchrist is a legend wrote on 09/09/11 at 01:34:44:
Approximately for what rating group would you feel that these Move by Move books be for?

I have the Nimzo Indian book, and I'd think it's good from about 1500 all the way up to 2300 or so.  It obviously depends on how much Nimzo experience you have; a 2280-rated lifelong Nimzo devotee probably wouldn't get a lot out of it, but someone new to the opening surely would.

IP Logged

ruhroh

Reply #5 - 04/05/12 at 14:20:13
Post Tools
BlkSabb wrote on 09/08/11 at 18:25:43:
I have the new The Slav Move by Move book and I love the new format.  It's a lot like the Sadler Queen's Gambit Declined book with the question and answer format.

I think the new format is similar superficially, but I wouldn't compare them to Sadler's books. The greatness of his books are the questions he asks, not the format so much. So far I haven't seen the same didactic quality in the new series, but if anyone can do it, Emms can.

IP Logged

atticus
YaBB Newbies

I Love ChessPublishing!

Reply #4 - 04/05/12 at 11:52:15
Post Tools

National Rating:1971
ELO:2011

IP Logged

gwnn

Reply #3 - 09/10/11 at 17:24:41
Post Tools
I am happy with the Lakdawala book but it does not even come close to offering a complete repertoire. It has 50 complete games with plenty of commentary but not many variations. His explanations are good for me and I am unable to learn a waterproof repertoire, so it's good for me. However, I can't imagine that this suffices for anyone rated at about 2100 or higher.

IP Logged

BlkSabb

I love ChessPublishing.com!

Reply #2 - 09/10/11 at 00:10:39
Post Tools
As long as you don't expect a complete detailed repertoire book where every possible move is analyzed then I don't see why the Slav one wouldn't be a great read for anyone.  Over 400 large pages.  Plenty of verbal explanation.  It uses complete annotated games along with the nice Q&A format.

It's probably better to read after you've already gone through one of the detailed repertoire books.

IP Logged

Gilchrist is a legend
God Member

Reply #1 - 09/09/11 at 01:34:44
Post Tools
Approximately for what rating group would you feel that these Move by Move books be for?

Creo lo que creo no importa lo que creen los demás.

IP Logged

BlkSabb

I love ChessPublishing.com!

The Sicilian Taimanov: Move by Move
09/08/11 at 18:25:43
Post Tools
I just noticed a new book pop up on the Everyman Chess website:  http://www.everymanchess.com/chess/books/The_Sicilian_Taimanov%3A_Move_by_Move

I have the new The Slav Move by Move book and I love the new format.  It's a lot like the Sadler Queen's Gambit Declined book with the question and answer format.

I expect this one to be excellent also.

IP Logged

Bookmarks: del.icio.us Digg Facebook Google Google+ Linked in reddit StumbleUpon Twitter Yahoo