Latest Updates:
Normal Topic online chess coach (Read 4357 times)
FMCharless

I Love ChessPublishing!

Re: online chess coach
Reply #8 - 10/30/21 at 15:19:50
Post Tools
I can help you if you need help. I can do 10 hours for $150. that is very competitive. I am FM. PM me if your interested.

IP Logged

TopNotch
God Member

I only look 1 move ahead,
but its always the best

Reply #7 - 09/10/21 at 23:58:23
Post Tools
an ordinary chessplayer wrote on 09/08/21 at 15:03:00:
An article by GM Igor Smirnov, published 2012-11-21, modified 2018-01-31
https://chess-teacher.com/how-to-find-a-good-chess-coach/

Quote:
Here’s the most typical scenario: a coach who doesn’t know how to teach, satisfies the wishes of a student who doesn’t know what he needs.

There is a thought-provoking comment below the article by Uri Blass (November 21, 2012 at 9:08 pm)
Quote:
I believe that a coach clearly can be productive for some improvement if he only does the first part that you suggest:
“Analyze your games and detect what you need to work on.”

Isn't that the biggest hurdle? There should be a simple and affordable online service where the player submits a batch of recent games; the coach analyzes the games and identifies what needs to be worked on; end of story.

Depends what you consider affordable, and coaching really needs to be interactive and personalised to be most effective.

The man who tries to do something and fails is infinitely better than he who tries to do nothing and succeeds - Lloyd Jones Smiley

IP Logged

an ordinary chessplayer
God Member

I used to be not bad.

Reply #6 - 09/08/21 at 15:03:00
Post Tools
An article by GM Igor Smirnov, published 2012-11-21, modified 2018-01-31
https://chess-teacher.com/how-to-find-a-good-chess-coach/

Quote:
Here’s the most typical scenario: a coach who doesn’t know how to teach, satisfies the wishes of a student who doesn’t know what he needs.

There is a thought-provoking comment below the article by Uri Blass (November 21, 2012 at 9:08 pm)
Quote:
I believe that a coach clearly can be productive for some improvement if he only does the first part that you suggest:
“Analyze your games and detect what you need to work on.”

Isn't that the biggest hurdle? There should be a simple and affordable online service where the player submits a batch of recent games; the coach analyzes the games and identifies what needs to be worked on; end of story.

IP Logged

Sandman

Reply #5 - 09/08/21 at 12:54:28
Post Tools
Didn’t want to clutter up the board with another thread so I’m tagging onto this one

Not sure of what to say so I’ll keep it short, if any of you have the time or the interest and are willing to coach an old fogey please PM me.

“All it takes is one bad day to reduce the sanest man alive to lunacy.
That's how far the world is from where I am.
Just one bad day.”

IP Logged

hicetnunc

"Do something scary every
day"

Reply #4 - 10/05/11 at 06:02:43
Post Tools
In general I would recommend going with the coach who has real coaching experience, rather than the stronger player. Coaching and playing are not the same thing : the guy must be able to help you improve, rather than lecture you.

Specifically, I have worked with two coaches : Lazypawn (IM) and Artiom (IM).

The first is good if your level is strong enough (2000+) and keen on improving your opening play (he shares a lot of interesting ideas and analyzes). However, I stopped training with him, because he was using computers during analysis, and I'm more interested in (strong) human analysis.

Artiom is my current coach and his work is more thorough : he gives well-chosen thematic training positions during lessons and as homework, mostly on positional aspects of the game, (but I guess he could adapt this to your specific needs), and he has an efficient method of analyzing games, putting strong emphasis on critical points, post-game summary, and explanations of mistakes through a mix of positional and tactical considerations.

Take communication skills into account too : Skype is a must, decent English is a plus Wink

At the end of the day, I would suggest to discuss the teaching method with the coach before purchasing lessons, and look for other pupils' experience.

PS : another criteria is the country of origin : I think coaches with a Russian background or from ex-USSR are probably better on average than Europeans, because they had the opportunity to work with better trainers themselves...

48 yo, 1920 elo

IP Logged

jmi

I Love ChessPublishing!

Reply #3 - 10/05/11 at 03:50:14
Post Tools
WRT finding coaches, you have to honestly ask yourself:

What do you want to get out of your coaching?

Do you wish to concentrate/strengthen your opening/middlegame/endgame/tactics/positional aspects of your game?

I find that different coaches have different strengths and weaknesses. There is no point in getting a GM if his area of weakness is the one you need to improve on (GMs/IMs are humans too and have weaknesses so keep that in mind). Just because a coach is a GM doesn't always necessarily mean that the GM is better than the IM.

I would also strongly suggest that you do not look at just them but also their playing styles and work ethic. Do a net search and see if there are any comments from past students. If there aren't any, I could suggest one thing and see if it is acceptable and might apply to your situation:

Offer to pay both of them to analyse/annotate one game of yours (maybe a game about 50 moves long - which should give you a sufficient idea of how they approach the opening/middlegame/endgame). I know while this could be a bit expensive, it also gives you input of how they approach game analysis (after all, anyone can fire up Houdini). But in the long run, it will save you a big headache from having to switch coaches.

One more thing, one of the biggest mistake you can make is to get a coach whose playing style is totally different/unsuitable for yours and hampens your development as a chess player. I would suggest you look through their games to get a "feel' of their playing and thinking styles and see if they are similar to yours.

It always pays to do research before forking your money.

My 2 pence. Best of luck!

Another wonderful chess link you should visit http://www.chesspublishing.com Smiley

IP Logged

the nazgul
YaBB Newbies

I Love ChessPublishing!

Reply #2 - 10/04/11 at 19:40:07
Post Tools
Smyslov_Fan wrote on 10/04/11 at 19:25:06:
Based on just those two options, I would definitely choose the older GM, but make sure to get individualised lessons rather than ones that are canned.

I'm not even sure I'd waste the money on a GM. Some of the best coaches are IMs, FMs and even lower. It's important that your coach knows enough chess to correct your mistakes without relying on some engine to do his work for you. But quite often, GMs excel at chess without being able to excel at teaching.

what you are saying is true, but how am i supposed to know who is a good coach and who is not!? ... i have been trying to search online but with no success, most of ICC teachers seem to have their own website and advertising campaign, so its not easy to pick the right one! .. i dont mind choosing an IM, but i wanna be sure that he is the right choice! after all im not a 1600 player, i am around 2100 .. so i want someone who can help me reach 2200 and 2300 and continue improving!

IP Logged

Smyslov_Fan
God Member
Correspondence fan

Progress depends on the
unreasonable man. ~GBS

Reply #1 - 10/04/11 at 19:25:06
Post Tools
Based on just those two options, I would definitely choose the older GM, but make sure to get individualised lessons rather than ones that are canned.

I'm not even sure I'd waste the money on a GM. Some of the best coaches are IMs, FMs and even lower. It's important that your coach knows enough chess to correct your mistakes without relying on some engine to do his work for you. But quite often, GMs excel at chess without being able to excel at teaching.

IP Logged

the nazgul
YaBB Newbies

I Love ChessPublishing!

online chess coach
10/04/11 at 19:15:10
Post Tools
hello, i have been searching for an online chess coach recently, ( on ICC ) and i found some interesting options, but unable to chose the best one! ... i need some help figuring out what to chose! i am confused between two main options:

1) young GM (around 21 years old) with a 2550-2600 rating (but obviously with no coaching experience)

OR

2) OLD GM (around 40 years old) with a 2450 -2500 rating (lower rated but maybe he has more experience in helping students)

so what do u think? and do you recommend any specific coach? ( maximum rate being 30$ per hour please! )

IP Logged

Bookmarks: del.icio.us Digg Facebook Google Google+ Linked in reddit StumbleUpon Twitter Yahoo