Latest Updates:
Normal Topic New late middlegame/early endgame section? (Read 2070 times)
Zwischenzugzwang

I Love ChessPublishing
& chess pubs!

Re: Reorganization and renaming of Chesspub. sections?
Reply #5 - 11/09/11 at 14:34:52
Post Tools
I should have started a new thread in the ChessPublishing.com Discussion (forum) section, as apparently my post was misinterpreted. My intention was not suggesting a new forum section but a new section parallel to the opening sections with updates every month where we pay money for, be it called "Strategic Endgames" or "NQEs and ShEGs" or "What can I do with the surviving pieces?" or whatever, and inquiring if other forum members were interested in such an offer.

Dear Smyslov_Fan, maybe it makes sense to transfer the relevant posts to a new thread in the ChessPublishing.com Discussion section?

Best regards,

Zwischenzugzwang

What do people mean when they say "Chess is the pawn of the soul"?

IP Logged

fling
God Member

I Love ChessPublishing!

Reply #4 - 11/09/11 at 14:11:08
Post Tools
Smyslov_Fan wrote on 11/09/11 at 13:16:43:
Sadly, the endgame section sees little enough traffic as it is. It just doesn't warrant being split up. But, if you have some simplified middlegame positions that you want to analyse and call them "endgames", I am sure there will be plenty of people who will love to sink their teeth into those positions over in the "Endgame" section.

I'm just thinking aloud. Perhaps, instead of calling it the "Endgame" section, it could be renamed the "Analysis" section, and encourage players to post their analysis of endgames and middlegames?  We don't really have a place (or a demand) for much middlegame analysis at the moment.

I guess this is a way to do it. It doesn't matter much to me what the section is called. I tried to ask some questions about Botvinnik variants, and Grunfeld exchange, but didn't get any answers. The questions were more middlegame - early endgame though. Maybe I would've gotten some response in a general Analysis section?

IP Logged

Smyslov_Fan
YaBB Moderator
Correspondence fan

Progress depends on the
unreasonable man. ~GBS

Reply #3 - 11/09/11 at 13:16:43
Post Tools
Sadly, the endgame section sees little enough traffic as it is. It just doesn't warrant being split up. But, if you have some simplified middlegame positions that you want to analyse and call them "endgames", I am sure there will be plenty of people who will love to sink their teeth into those positions over in the "Endgame" section.

I'm just thinking aloud. Perhaps, instead of calling it the "Endgame" section, it could be renamed the "Analysis" section, and encourage players to post their analysis of endgames and middlegames?  We don't really have a place (or a demand) for much middlegame analysis at the moment.

IP Logged

Zwischenzugzwang

I Love ChessPublishing
& chess pubs!

Reply #2 - 11/09/11 at 10:33:08
Post Tools
I'd have no problems with that, as long as it comes into existence  Smiley

IP Logged

Alias
God Member

Reply #1 - 11/09/11 at 10:20:54
Post Tools
Zwischenzugzwang wrote on 11/09/11 at 10:07:49:
Hello everybody!

I wasn't sure if I should start a new thread or using this existing one, even if it should rather be in the ChessPublishing.com Discussion section.

What is your opinion about a new section "NQEs and ShEGs" (the former term is from Glenn Flear, introduced in his fine book "Practical Endgame Play")? A "NQE" is "Not Quite an Endgame", i.e. each side has - apart from the kings - at most two pieces. A "ShEG" is a "Shereshevsky EndGame" (this term refers to Shereshevsky's "Endgame Strategy") without a clear definition of the remaining material, but rather that part of the game where typical engame features like active kings, schematic thinking, passed pawns and so on are relevant.
There are several sites in the internet where you can find high quality analyses of "classical" endgames (at most one piece each), but - as far as I know - none that covers endgames with more material.

So the question is if you were interested in a section like this, parallel to the opening sections, showing 8 ... 12 games per month and - of course - unfortunateley not free of charge? (If I were asked, I would say "Yes!")

Best regards,

Zwischenzugzwang

Why not calling them practical endgames (as opposed to theoretical endgames)?

I find NQE and other names somewhat ridiculous.

Don't check me with no lightweight stuff.

IP Logged

Zwischenzugzwang

I Love ChessPublishing
& chess pubs!

New late middlegame/early endgame section?
11/09/11 at 10:07:49
Post Tools
Hello everybody!

I wasn't sure if I should start a new thread or using this existing one, even if it should rather be in the ChessPublishing.com Discussion section.

What is your opinion about a new section "NQEs and ShEGs" (the former term is from Glenn Flear, introduced in his fine book "Practical Endgame Play")? A "NQE" is "Not Quite an Endgame", i.e. each side has - apart from the kings - at most two pieces. A "ShEG" is a "Shereshevsky EndGame" (this term refers to Shereshevsky's "Endgame Strategy") without a clear definition of the remaining material, but rather that part of the game where typical engame features like active kings, schematic thinking, passed pawns and so on are relevant.
There are several sites in the internet where you can find high quality analyses of "classical" endgames (at most one piece each), but - as far as I know - none that covers endgames with more material.

So the question is if you were interested in a section like this, parallel to the opening sections, showing 8 ... 12 games per month and - of course - unfortunateley not free of charge? (If I were asked, I would say "Yes!")

Best regards,

Zwischenzugzwang
« Last Edit: 11/09/11 at 15:13:36 by GMTonyKosten »  

IP Logged

Bookmarks: del.icio.us Digg Facebook Google Google+ Linked in reddit StumbleUpon Twitter Yahoo