Latest Updates:
Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2 3 
Topic Tools
Very Hot Topic (More than 25 Replies) IM Andrew Greetīs book against Pirc (Read 28588 times)
chk
God Member

a pawn is a pawn

Re: IM Andrew Greetīs book against Pirc
Reply #35 - 12/20/11 at 16:21:20
Post Tools
I will second that - I have been browsing the SO Acc. Dragon book lately and must confess it is so well written you can hardly put the book down! A major achievement if you consider that this is an opening book - and moreover, one that does not shy away from variations!

(note: I have also some other material on the Acc. Dragon and made the necessary 'comparisons' / due diligence to test the recommended plans..  Wink)

"I play honestly and I play to win. If I lose, I take my medicine." - Bobby

IP Logged

fling
God Member

I Love ChessPublishing!

Reply #34 - 12/20/11 at 08:20:14
Post Tools
IM Andrew Greet wrote on 12/20/11 at 02:45:02:
Finally, about my Ruy Lopez book: I rate it pretty highly. (I hope it doesn't sound arrogant, but I don't believe in false modesty.)

Well, I am not sure, but I think you are being modest. You have totally left out Starting Out: Accelerated Dragon, which was very good and miles better than any other SO I have read. BUCD and The Ruy Lopez are also very good. Great work and I do hope you publish something pretty soon. The time you've spent on the books seems very well spent!

IP Logged

IM Andrew Greet

Reply #33 - 12/20/11 at 02:45:02
Post Tools
PatzerKing wrote on 12/15/11 at 10:37:36:
Hi Keano,

would be interesting to see which line you go in detail and which improvements you see for Black.
At the moment I am reading “Tigerīs Modern” because I want to play with some move-orders as Black 1… g6 2…Bg7 3…d6 (…c5 -> acc Dragon) 4…a6 (…Nf6 (->Pirc)) to let White think which opening it will be at the end. Therefore I also checked “Greetīs line” against the Modern and I have the same opinion that I had in the Pirc chapter: The line for White is well selected and the explanation about the ideas and the analysis is very good. If I have time I will open a thread similar to this about the Modern.
It hasnīt something to do with this chapter but I have some general questions to Mr. Greet.

@Mr.Greet:

1. Which chess book projects do you have in the pipe?
2. Are you working together with Jacob Aagaard on the Grandmaster Repertoire 1.e4…?
    This questionscomes to my mind because I think you reviewed some Quality Chess books?
3. Due to the good opinion I have about the quality of your books I think about buying your Ruy Lopez book. Can you still recommend it or do you see any major trends in some line? Ok, stupid question, of course you would recommend it. Anybody else have an opinion about this book?

I don't have any writing projects in the pipeline at present. This last one (BUCD - 1.e4) was a major commitment which took away more of my free time at weekends than I care to remember, and I have no desire to repeat that any time soon.
I have actually been working full-time as an editor at Quality Chess for well over two years now. The reason why I wrote my last book for the 'wrong' publisher was that I signed the contract for it before being offered the job at QC, and it took me more than two years after starting the job to get the book finished in my spare time. In the circumstances - and putting modesty aside - I'm especially pleased with the quality of the finished product.

As for working with Jacob on the 1.e4 books, I won't be contributing to this book in a major way although I will certainly share my ideas if Jacob is interested in them. (For instance, I know that he is interested in using some of my ideas in BUCD as a starting point in certain variations.)
My main role at QC is editing for language and sometimes chess content, depending on the project. I have a vague idea in mind that I may write a book for QC at some distant point in the future, to 'set the record straight' as it were, by writing something for the publisher which - employee loyalty aside - I consider the best in the business. But I have no idea what the subject will be, or when it will happen. (Certainly not next year.)

Finally, about my Ruy Lopez book: I rate it pretty highly. (I hope it doesn't sound arrogant, but I don't believe in false modesty.) It's a complete and detailed repertoire; Everyman asked me for 192 pages, and I gave them 376. One potential negative is that I focused on the Worrall System with 5.Qe2, so if you intend to play the main lines with 5.0-0 and 6.Re1 you will need another source. But even if you have no interest in 5.Qe2, the sections on Black's third- and fourth-move sidelines still make up a book's worth of material.
I have no doubt that Jacob's Ruy Lopez volume will be by far and away the highest-quality source for the white side of this opening, but it will not be ready for quite some time.

I hope that answers everything.

Have a great Christmas everyone! Smiley

IP Logged

IM Andrew Greet

Reply #32 - 12/20/11 at 02:08:10
Post Tools
Keano wrote on 12/15/11 at 09:38:30:
I've had a look at this book and may I say I am very pleasantly surprised. I was expecting a typical "club player repertoire" which skims over the various problems as most opening books seem to do nowadays. I used to play this line myself (Austrian with Be3) and having looked at this book I am astounded by the quality and depth of the analysis in this chapter, Greet literally leaves no stone unturned, it is the only book I know of that covers this line in such detail, and the analysis is on a par with Khalifmans stuff in my view. If only other authors would put such an effort into proper research and analysis... anyway this is excellent.

Incidentally, from Blacks point of view I think he should go down the main-line with ...b6, ...Bb7, ...c5. There is some critical and interesting stuff there.

Thank you Keano, this is much appreciated.

IP Logged

lg
God Member

I love ChessPublishing.com!

Reply #31 - 12/18/11 at 17:09:33
Post Tools
To add a different opinion,
his treatment against the Alekhine is great and detailed enough without wasting time with tto many unecessary lines, in particular I liked his lines against
the Miles and the Kengis (although in both lines, he could have added a few other sound Black alternatives)

IP Logged

Bibs
God Member

Reply #30 - 12/15/11 at 13:00:41
Post Tools
Agree. Greet does appear to be very thorough. Have the Ruy book, the anti-others book. Both plenty meaty.

IP Logged

BabySnake

Opening repertoire construction
underway

Reply #29 - 12/15/11 at 12:40:13
Post Tools
Keano wrote on 12/15/11 at 09:38:30:
I've had a look at this book and may I say I am very pleasantly surprised. I was expecting a typical "club player repertoire" which skims over the various problems as most opening books seem to do nowadays. I used to play this line myself (Austrian with Be3) and having looked at this book I am astounded by the quality and depth of the analysis in this chapter, Greet literally leaves no stone unturned, it is the only book I know of that covers this line in such detail, and the analysis is on a par with Khalifmans stuff in my view. If only other authors would put such an effort into proper research and analysis... anyway this is excellent.

Incidentally, from Blacks point of view I think he should go down the main-line with ...b6, ...Bb7, ...c5. There is some critical and interesting stuff there.

Regarding Andrew Greet's works I can say that in his "Play the Ruy Lopez" he really does present excellent analysis and proper coverage for white to meet sidelines (for examples black's deviations on the 3rd move).

IP Logged

PatzerKing

I Love ChessPublishing!

Reply #28 - 12/15/11 at 10:37:36
Post Tools
Hi Keano,

would be interesting to see which line you go in detail and which improvements you see for Black.
At the moment I am reading “Tigerīs Modern” because I want to play with some move-orders as Black 1… g6 2…Bg7 3…d6 (…c5 -> acc Dragon) 4…a6 (…Nf6 (->Pirc)) to let White think which opening it will be at the end. Therefore I also checked “Greetīs line” against the Modern and I have the same opinion that I had in the Pirc chapter: The line for White is well selected and the explanation about the ideas and the analysis is very good. If I have time I will open a thread similar to this about the Modern.
It hasnīt something to do with this chapter but I have some general questions to Mr. Greet.

@Mr.Greet:

1. Which chess book projects do you have in the pipe?
2. Are you working together with Jacob Aagaard on the Grandmaster Repertoire 1.e4…?
    This questionscomes to my mind because I think you reviewed some Quality Chess books?
3. Due to the good opinion I have about the quality of your books I think about buying your Ruy Lopez book. Can you still recommend it or do you see any major trends in some line? Ok, stupid question, of course you would recommend it. Anybody else have an opinion about this book?

IP Logged

Keano
God Member

Money doesn't talk, it
swears.

Reply #27 - 12/15/11 at 09:38:30
Post Tools

IP Logged

Chessguy

I Love ChessPublishing!

Reply #26 - 12/03/11 at 19:25:11
Post Tools
Alternatively 15 Qe3 Bxf3.

IP Logged

Chessguy

I Love ChessPublishing!

Reply #25 - 12/03/11 at 19:20:53
Post Tools
PatzerKing wrote on 12/03/11 at 08:31:14:
@Chessguy:
I do not know this line but I always had the impression that the White center isnīt stable. I remember the game Topalov-Carlsen where White lost and I had the feeling that the position for Black was easy to play.
But due to your opinion it seems that it is worth to have a look.

I hadnīt answered your last post regarding the Pirc line but it looks like the critical try is taking on c5 and then winning the pawn. But I agree with you that Black has some compensation.

1.e4 d6 2.d4 Nf6 3.Nc3 g6 4.f4 Bg7 5.Nf3 0-0 6.Be3 Nbd7 7.Qd2 c5 8.dxc5 Nxc5 9.e5 Nf-e4 10. Nxe4 Nxe4 11. Qb4 Nc5 12. Bxc5 a5! 13. Qd4 dxc5 14. Qxc5 Bg4 and now maybe 15 Qe3 f6! with pretty decent play for the pawn for black.

IP Logged

Chessguy

I Love ChessPublishing!

Reply #24 - 12/03/11 at 19:07:11
Post Tools
The Alekhine comments seems more to belong in that other thread I think: http://www.chesspub.com/cgi-bin/yabb2/YaBB.pl?num=1316378053

IP Logged

Markovich
God Member

Reply #23 - 12/03/11 at 18:51:04
Post Tools
The Modern is the most serious challenge to Alekhine's, so it should hardly be a surprise that someone chose it for a repertoire book.

The Great Oz has spoken!

IP Logged

PatzerKing

I Love ChessPublishing!

Reply #22 - 12/03/11 at 08:31:14
Post Tools
@Chessguy:
I do not know this line but I always had the impression that the White center isnīt stable. I remember the game Topalov-Carlsen where White lost and I had the feeling that the position for Black was easy to play.
But due to your opinion it seems that it is worth to have a look.

I hadnīt answered your last post regarding the Pirc line but it looks like the critical try is taking on c5 and then winning the pawn. But I agree with you that Black has some compensation.

IP Logged

Chessguy

I Love ChessPublishing!

Reply #21 - 12/02/11 at 17:57:33
Post Tools
Why surprised that 4. Nf3 was recommended against the Alekhine. That is after all well known as one of the most critical tries and also not too hard to learn.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2 3 
Topic Tools
Bookmarks: del.icio.us Digg Facebook Google Google+ Linked in reddit StumbleUpon Twitter Yahoo