Latest Updates:
Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 
Topic Tools
Very Hot Topic (More than 25 Replies) Wojo´s Weapons 3 (Read 68878 times)
Markovich
God Member

Re: Wojo´s Weapons 3
Reply #18 - 05/27/12 at 01:51:13
Post Tools
TonyRo wrote on 05/27/12 at 00:12:48:
If you guys knew anything about the author's personal lives, you'd think a bit differently I'm sure.

I also enjoy the notion that it's impossible to construct a repertoire by one's self, do any of the analytical work yourself, or use Volume 1 as a standalone Catalan reference, Volume 2 as a standalone Fianchetto KID reference, and so on.

The Wojo books are also substantially larger - I'm not sure how typesetting and stylistic choices affect the page count in both cases, but Hilton's works stand to be quite a bit longer in total.

I'm not saying that any of the above justify the delays, but I also think it quite ridiculous to expect 1000+ pages of absolutely current and top-notch chess material plunked onto your doorstep at one time either.

You comment assumes that the antiquated methods by which repertoire references are produced are the only ones available. I predict the emergence of technologies whereby repertoires can be created, viewed, shared and
updated online, and downloaded for local analysis if need be. I think the paper repertoire book is about to become obsolete. I wouldn't want my money in traditional chess publishing at this moment. There is no more buggy whip industry, you know.

The Great Oz has spoken!

IP Logged

TonyRo
God Member

I'm gonna crack your skull!

Reply #17 - 05/27/12 at 00:12:48
Post Tools
If you guys knew anything about the author's personal lives, you'd think a bit differently I'm sure.

I also enjoy the notion that it's impossible to construct a repertoire by one's self, do any of the analytical work yourself, or use Volume 1 as a standalone Catalan reference, Volume 2 as a standalone Fianchetto KID reference, and so on.

The Wojo books are also substantially larger - I'm not sure how typesetting and stylistic choices affect the page count in both cases, but Hilton's works stand to be quite a bit longer in total.

I'm not saying that any of the above justify the delays, but I also think it quite ridiculous to expect 1000+ pages of absolutely current and top-notch chess material plunked onto your doorstep at one time either.

IP Logged

LostTactic

I Love ChessPublishing!

Reply #16 - 05/26/12 at 13:18:51
Post Tools
Ender wrote on 05/26/12 at 12:54:44:
TonyRo wrote on 05/25/12 at 17:52:26:
His point still stands though, in that you've had 2 years to update book 1 on your own, and about a year or so to update book 2, no?

I'm paying money to have repertoire and I dont want to wait for each volume for years. Look at GM series by Quality Chess: Gruenfeld volumes were published in the same year! That means you can play Gruenfeld just from this books and you dont need to update vol 1 because its outdated when vol 2 is out. And WW1 was published in 2010 and vol2 year later! So in 2010 you have Catalan repertoire, but to play kings indian you need to wait more than a year and to complete repertoire 2,5 years! Do you think I want to pay for Catalan book and do rest of "job" myself? Tehre are other openings than Catalan and to play them you need to use other books or analyse on your own. So whats the point of buying WW then? Its better to stick to QC books since they dont have so much delays, and delays and delays.... They deleyed vol2 many times and vol3 even more times.

I completely agree in principle. I think a possible reason for it though is they didn't know whether the first book was going to be successful or not, and to release 3 volumes at once with unproven authors is quite risky. I think I'd have still bought the books though even knowing in hindsight this would happen, as I mix and match my white repertoire from various sources.

Edited:
Moderator's note: Edited quoted part of post.

IP Logged

Ender

I Love ChessPublishing!

Reply #15 - 05/26/12 at 12:54:44
Post Tools
TonyRo wrote on 05/25/12 at 17:52:26:
His point still stands though, in that you've had 2 years to update book 1 on your own, and about a year or so to update book 2, no?

I'm paying money to have repertoire and I dont want to wait for each volume for years. Look at GM series by Quality Chess: Gruenfeld volumes were published in the same year! That means you can play Gruenfeld just from this books and you dont need to update vol 1 because its outdated when vol 2 is out. And WW1 was published in 2010 and vol2 year later! So in 2010 you have Catalan repertoire, but to play kings indian you need to wait more than a year and to complete repertoire 2,5 years! Do you think I want to pay for Catalan book and do rest of "job" myself? Tehre are other openings than Catalan and to play them you need to use other books or analyse on your own. So whats the point of buying WW then? Its better to stick to QC books since they dont have so much delays, and delays and delays.... They deleyed vol2 many times and vol3 even more times.

Edited:
Moderator's note: Removed Caps. Also deleted some inflammatory remarks. Please don't engage in personal attacks.

2200. Amateur!

Gilchrist is a legend
God Member

Reply #14 - 05/25/12 at 20:56:14
Post Tools
Is there any more information about the book?

Creo lo que creo no importa lo que creen los demás.

IP Logged

TonyRo
God Member

I'm gonna crack your skull!

Reply #13 - 05/25/12 at 17:52:26
Post Tools
His point still stands though, in that you've had 2 years to update book 1 on your own, and about a year or so to update book 2, no? It's unrealistic for the authors and publishers to wait 3 years and publish them as a set - you might never get them, as the author would have to go back and rewrite half of book 1 again anyway, by the time he was done with that, book 2 and 3 would need updating, and so on.

IP Logged

Ender

I Love ChessPublishing!

Reply #12 - 05/25/12 at 16:57:54
Post Tools
But this is not one book, but 3 books which should be a repertoire. It's  not the case when I cannot play all lines athe the same year, but i need to wait more thanb 2 years to complete repertoire, which partly is outdated already!

Edited:
Moderator's note: Removed Caps. Please don't type in caps in subsequent posts.
« Last Edit: 05/26/12 at 13:16:09 by TN »  

2200. Amateur!

Alias
God Member

Reply #11 - 05/25/12 at 11:02:12
Post Tools
The point of vol 3 is that there is no overlap with vols 1 and 2.  Wink

What's the point of publishing opening books at all since they soon will be outdated?

Any good opening book gives the ideas and plans and gives the current situation of important lines. Then it's up to the reader to check and update lines as the opening develops over time.

Don't check me with no lightweight stuff.

IP Logged

Ender

I Love ChessPublishing!

Reply #10 - 05/25/12 at 07:26:09
Post Tools
Gilchrist is a legend wrote on 05/20/12 at 01:23:55:

Vol 1 is already outdated so they should publish them in like 1 year, maybe with help of other writers. Whats the poitn of buying vol 3 if vol 1 is outdated?

2200. Amateur!

Gilchrist is a legend
God Member

Reply #9 - 05/20/12 at 01:23:55
Post Tools

IP Logged

Gilchrist is a legend
God Member

Reply #8 - 04/30/12 at 22:59:43
Post Tools
What is the old time schedule?

IP Logged

Bogojump

Chesspub

Reply #7 - 04/30/12 at 22:51:00
Post Tools
Gilchrist is a legend wrote on 04/27/12 at 20:36:04:
The book is listed on London Chess Centre "Coming Soon". It has a green cover.

Yes I noticed that too....but perhaps they follow the old time schedule ? I will mail London chess center and ask .

"You must lead your opponent into a deep, dark forest, where 2 + 2 = 5 and
  where the path back out is only broad enough for one of you." (((Mikhail Tal)))

IP Logged

Gilchrist is a legend
God Member

Reply #6 - 04/27/12 at 20:36:04
Post Tools
The book is listed on London Chess Centre "Coming Soon". It has a green cover.

IP Logged

Bogojump

Chesspub

Reply #5 - 03/17/12 at 15:00:38
Post Tools
I was mailing Mongoose press about volume 3 of Wojos weapons: I got this answer :

Dear ******,

Thank you for your interest in our books!
The third volume of Wojo's Weapons was planned for late spring of 2012, but it is being delayed.
Unfortunately, one of the two co-authors has been seriously ill and unable to work for several months.
He (Jonathan) seems to be doing better, but not quite back to normal.
We are hoping to release the book in the Fall, but, for obvious reasons, it is not firm at this point.
We will definitely try to do what we can to bring this concluding volume of the series to the market as quickly as possible.

Best,

Leonid

"You must lead your opponent into a deep, dark forest, where 2 + 2 = 5 and
  where the path back out is only broad enough for one of you." (((Mikhail Tal)))

IP Logged

Gilchrist is a legend
God Member

Reply #4 - 02/27/12 at 03:35:32
Post Tools
Is there any new development on the status of this book? Is it still to be published this spring?

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 
Topic Tools
Bookmarks: del.icio.us Digg Facebook Google Google+ Linked in reddit StumbleUpon Twitter Yahoo