Latest Updates:
Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 
Topic Tools
Very Hot Topic (More than 25 Replies) Wojo´s Weapons 3 (Read 68727 times)
LostTactic

I Love ChessPublishing!

Re: Wojo´s Weapons 3
Reply #33 - 02/10/13 at 22:58:32
Post Tools
TD wrote on 02/10/13 at 08:45:36:
LostTactic wrote on 02/09/13 at 22:16:31:
As these Wojo books are the way I want to study and learn openings.

I completeley agree with you!

The English lines are a lot like Khalifman's: e.g. 1.Nf3 c5 2.c4 Nc6 3.d4 (which I don't play). The Half-Maroczy is the line with 6.d4 and 10.Qd3. Does it have an "official name"?

They treat the Leningrad Dutch with b2-b4 and the other lines look pretty normal to me (I don't play d2-d4 against the Dutch).

Sounds good, not to familiar with b4 against Leningrad so will be interesting to take a look at that.

Greg Shahade also said he enjoyed the Wojo book's style: http://main.uschess.org/content/view/11614/141/ (point 1 at the bottom of the article)

IP Logged

TD
God Member

Feyenoord forever!

Reply #32 - 02/10/13 at 08:45:36
Post Tools
LostTactic wrote on 02/09/13 at 22:16:31:
As these Wojo books are the way I want to study and learn openings.

I completeley agree with you!

The English lines are a lot like Khalifman's: e.g. 1.Nf3 c5 2.c4 Nc6 3.d4 (which I don't play). The Half-Maroczy is the line with 6.d4 and 10.Qd3. Does it have an "official name"?

They treat the Leningrad Dutch with b2-b4 and the other lines look pretty normal to me (I don't play d2-d4 against the Dutch).

IP Logged

LostTactic

I Love ChessPublishing!

Reply #31 - 02/09/13 at 22:16:31
Post Tools
TD wrote on 02/06/13 at 16:55:40:
I've got it in the mail today and it looks pretty good (again)! So the next couple of days I'll be busy trying to incorporate Wojo's lines in my repertoire...

TD can you say your opinion on their English lines and also what they recommend against the Dutch? I just ordered mine from ChessDirect so likely have 3-5 days to wait... Love the first 2 books and hope this lives upto my high expectations.

I also emailed Mongoosepress a couple months back, asking them to try and get the authors to do a similar style repertoire book for Black, possibly Wojo's or someone else with a strong black repertoire for weekend tournaments. They said to me they would discuss this with the authors after this 3rd book had been published so I hope they do that. As these Wojo books are the way I want to study and learn openings.

IP Logged

TD
God Member

Feyenoord forever!

Reply #30 - 02/06/13 at 16:55:40
Post Tools
I've got it in the mail today and it looks pretty good (again)! So the next couple of days I'll be busy trying to incorporate Wojo's lines in my repertoire...

IP Logged

TD
God Member

Feyenoord forever!

Reply #29 - 11/22/12 at 06:16:08
Post Tools
See http://www.uschess.org/content/view/7913/381/ and http://www.uschess.org/content/view/8117/431/ for two articles about Wojo's repertoire against 1.e4.

IP Logged

ericmittens

Molto bene

Reply #28 - 11/21/12 at 22:24:33
Post Tools
[/quote]
I also need to update my defenses to 1.e4, so I hope that is book 4  Cheesy [/quote]

From what I understand, GM wojo's black repertoire vs. 1.e4 was very similar to ftacnik's "grandmaster repertoire: the najdorf" book. You might want to give that a try.

IP Logged

ericmittens

Molto bene

Reply #27 - 11/21/12 at 22:21:53
Post Tools
A sample is now available on the mongoose press website.

http://www.mongoosepress.com/downloads/wojo3-sample.pdf

IP Logged

STEFANOS

I Love ChessPublishing!

Reply #26 - 11/21/12 at 20:57:52
Post Tools
STEFANOS wrote on 11/21/12 at 20:56:09:
I do not play competitive chess, I play just for fun. Even for an amateur like me it is very difficult to understand how the delay of a chess book can affect to the worse my opening repertoire and my results in total, let's be serious. Writing a book, it is not something easy, needs time, study and the writers are humans. The only we may blame an author it is if he/she/they delivered on us a bad book, because we gave our money, that's it. Chess is a noble game and we must be noble as well, the specific books are of high quality and I have nothing else to say than a great thanks to the authors for the good work.

IP Logged

STEFANOS

I Love ChessPublishing!

Reply #25 - 11/21/12 at 20:56:09
Post Tools
I do not play competitive chess, I play just for fun. Even for an amateur like it is very difficult to understand how the delay of a chess book can affect to the worse my opening repertoire and my results in total, let's be serious. Writing a book, it is not something easy, needs time, study and the writers are humans. The only we may blame an author it is if he/she/they delivered on us a bad book, because we gave our money, that's it. Chess is a noble game and we must be noble as well, the specific books are of high quality and I have nothing else to say than a great thanks to the authors for the good work.

IP Logged

newshutz
YaBB Newbies

I Love ChessPublishing!

Reply #24 - 11/18/12 at 22:49:05
Post Tools
Markovich wrote on 05/27/12 at 01:51:13:
TonyRo wrote on 05/27/12 at 00:12:48:
If you guys knew anything about the author's personal lives, you'd think a bit differently I'm sure.

I also enjoy the notion that it's impossible to construct a repertoire by one's self, do any of the analytical work yourself, or use Volume 1 as a standalone Catalan reference, Volume 2 as a standalone Fianchetto KID reference, and so on.

The Wojo books are also substantially larger - I'm not sure how typesetting and stylistic choices affect the page count in both cases, but Hilton's works stand to be quite a bit longer in total.

I'm not saying that any of the above justify the delays, but I also think it quite ridiculous to expect 1000+ pages of absolutely current and top-notch chess material plunked onto your doorstep at one time either.

You comment assumes that the antiquated methods by which repertoire references are produced are the only ones available. I predict the emergence of technologies whereby repertoires can be created, viewed, shared and
updated online, and downloaded for local analysis if need be. I think the paper repertoire book is about to become obsolete. I wouldn't want my money in traditional chess publishing at this moment. There is no more buggy whip industry, you know.

Long lists of lines, each finishing with a sterile evaluation are not what sub-master level players need. I think the Wojo's weapons series are great for class players, because they contain whole games and are annotated well into the middle game and sometimes into the endgame.

This is exactly what I need to help me understand these openings. It gives me a foundation of ideas from which I can expand/diverge by using current games as time goes on.

I am eager for book 3. I have lines that have worked ok against the Grunfeld, but I could use a better understanding of those positions. I really need some help against the hedgehog like games that show up more often in the local club.

I have had plenty of work to do on the middlegame and endgame, while I waited for the next Wojo book.

I also need to update my defenses to 1.e4, so I hope that is book 4  Cheesy

IP Logged

heavypieces
YaBB Newbies

I Love ChessPublishing!

Reply #23 - 10/12/12 at 02:47:02
Post Tools
Jonathan_Hilton wrote on 10/10/12 at 18:48:54:
Greetings all,

First, I am delighted to see the interest out there in our books on Aleks. Second, I apologize for all the grief and pain I have caused you for the delays. I can assure you that the third manuscript is being typeset at this very moment and will be printed and shipped as soon as possible.

Thank you for the update, and the table of contents. Looks very interesting. I've always found 1...c5 to be a very challenging response to 1.Nf3, and I look forward to your analysis. As a Dutch player I'll also be intrigued to see your recommendations after 1.Nf3 f5.

I do think the 'Wojo's Weapons' series is one of the best White repertoires out there; an achievement made more remarkable given your illness. Thanks for letting us know how the project is going.

IP Logged

Jonathan_Hilton
YaBB Newbies

I Love ChessPublishing!

Reply #22 - 10/10/12 at 18:54:48
Post Tools
For those who are interested, here is the Table of Contents for Volume III:

Contents

Bibliography
Introduction

Part I: The Open Fianchetto Grünfeld
Chapter 1: An Introduction to the Fianchetto Grünfeld: Wojo’s Dynamic System with 11.Bg5
Chapter 2: The Fianchetto Grünfeld, Main Line with 10.Qc2!?
Chapter 3: The Open Grünfeld with 7...c5
Chapter 4: Black Strengthens White’s Center by Taking on c3
Chapter 5: 7...c6 and Black’s Other Tries

Part II: Black’s Solid Grünfeld with ...c7-c6
Chapter 6: Black Bolsters the Center with ...e7-e6
Chapter 7: Black Takes with 7...dxc4, Struggling for Active Piece Play
Chapter 8: Black Grovels with 7...Qb6
Chapter 9: Odds and Ends: Black Moves His a-Pawn

Part III: The English Opening
Chapter 10: The MaroczyMaróczy Bind
Chapter 11: The Half-MaroczyMaróczy bind
Chapter 12: Black Plays for ...e7-e6 and ...d7-d5
Chapter 13: Queen’s Indians, Hedgehogs, and the Rubinstein Variation

Part IV: The Dutch Defense
Chapter 14: The Leningrad Dutch
Chapter 15: The Dutch StonewallStonewall Dutch
Chapter 16: Other Dutch Defenses

Part V: Odds & Ends
Chapter 17: The Old Indian
Chapter 18: Other Odds and Ends with ...d7-d6 and ...e7-e5
Chapter 19: Other Tricky Systems

IP Logged

Jonathan_Hilton
YaBB Newbies

I Love ChessPublishing!

Reply #21 - 10/10/12 at 18:48:54
Post Tools
Greetings all,

First, I am delighted to see the interest out there in our books on Aleks. Second, I apologize for all the grief and pain I have caused you for the delays. I can assure you that the third manuscript is being typeset at this very moment and will be printed and shipped as soon as possible.

Those who know me well know that I was diagnosed with myasthenia gravis, an autoimmune disease, at the beginning of my freshman year of college, around November of 2009. (See: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Myasthenia_gravis). For those chess history buffs out there, yes, this is the same disease that forced GM Henrique Mecking to withdraw from the 1979 Interzonal in Rio de Janeiro. (He did not return to competitive chess until after over a decade of treatment.)

The illness has at times disrupted my education, not to mention my chess writing. A lot of people don't realize that I suffer sporadic problems with motor control and am in constant pain, which can sometimes make writing challenging. Unlike other works, chess books cannot easily be dictated. That said, I have had some successes. I managed to write all three Wojo books, a total of well over 1100 pages, in a period of about four years, all while maintaining a 4.0 GPA, studying abroad six times, managing my illness, learning three foreign languages, and continuing my volunteer work on pro bono immigration and asylum cases.

I do realize that some of the material on the first book may already be a bit dated by the time Volume III is in your hands. That said, I do not think our theory is that far behind the times. Many IMs and GMs have come up to Dean and me to express how pleased they were with the caliber of our analysis. In reality, our lines are holding up to the test of theory--and they are still winning tournaments. In most of our analysis (in all three volumes), Dean and I have been ahead of the curve. This means that many of the ideas in Vol. 1 are just now gaining recognition. Hence, the books are still quite topical, even four years later.

That said, if anyone has an outdated line from the book that they would like for Dean and me to take a look at, we'd be happy to see about publishing some new analysis online. Consider it a "theory warranty." If our recommendation is behind the curve, contact us about it, and we'll do our best to find you something else to play.

Best regards,
Jonathan Hilton

IP Logged

heavypieces
YaBB Newbies

I Love ChessPublishing!

Reply #20 - 06/29/12 at 16:08:22
Post Tools
At last the book has been announced on the Mongoose website.
Hooray!
But slated for a November/December release.
Groan!

IP Logged

TonyRo
God Member

I'm gonna crack your skull!

Reply #19 - 05/27/12 at 16:15:58
Post Tools
It does, but only because that's not only what's prevalent today, but what's in question in this thread. If anything, my posts encourage something totally different - cloud repertoires are quite welcome in my opinion! Grin

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 
Topic Tools
Bookmarks: del.icio.us Digg Facebook Google Google+ Linked in reddit StumbleUpon Twitter Yahoo