Latest Updates:
Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 14
Topic Tools
Very Hot Topic (More than 25 Replies) An interesting new chesspub member-authored book! (Read 116271 times)
BladezII

Member of chesspublishing
.com and STC Club

Re: An interesting new chesspub member-authored book!
Reply #204 - 06/26/17 at 18:24:33
Post Tools
So...  the book...  when and where ?

I am a participating member of chesspublishing.com since 1998.

IP Logged

TonyRo
God Member

I'm gonna crack your skull!

Reply #203 - 07/17/16 at 01:54:00
Post Tools
I keep telling people it's a pain in the ass, and no one believes me!  Grin

IP Logged

ErictheRed
God Member

USCF National Master

Reply #202 - 07/15/16 at 15:50:15
Post Tools
I don't think that many posters here realize the incredible amount of work and time it takes to write a book.  Especially one that is a "labor of love" from an amateur instead of one just pumped out to pay the bills.  It's a huge endeavor!

I'm reminded of Robert Farrar Capon in The Supper of the Lamb:

First, I am an amateur.  If that strikes you as disappointing, consider how much in error you are, and how the error is entirely of your own devising.  At its root lies an objection to cookbooks written by non-professionals... [sic] ...Amateur and nonprofessional are not synonyms.  The world may or may not need another cookbook, but it needs all the lovers--amateurs--it can get. [sic]

...the amateur--the lover, the man who thinks heedlessness a sin and boredom a heresy--is just the man you need.  More than that, whether you think you need him or not, he is a man who is bound, by his love, to speak.

Off topic perhaps, and I'm ascribing my own thoughts to Bryan Paulsen's work, but a book like this is a labor of love that demands the best of an author, and the workload is huge.  Be patient!

IP Logged

GabrielGale

Who was Thursday?

Reply #201 - 07/04/16 at 07:29:44
Post Tools
ghenghisclown wrote on 02/16/16 at 06:14:14:
December 2016

Has anyone any newer information on the book? I tried looking at the Everyman's site but I could not find their "forthcoming titles" or something similar.

http://www.toutautre.blogspot.com/
A Year With Nessie ...... aka GM John Shaw's The King's Gambit (http://thekinggambit.blogspot.com.au/)

IP Logged

ghenghisclown
God Member

Pedicare Vestri Latin

Reply #200 - 02/16/16 at 06:14:14
Post Tools
December 2016

"Experience is a dim lamp, which only lights the one who bears it."

IP Logged

RoleyPoley
God Member

I Love ChessPublishing!

Reply #199 - 01/02/16 at 13:19:36
Post Tools
BPaulsen wrote on 01/02/16 at 06:14:44:
The sort of lines I tend to choose are those that might go in and out of fashion, but are not the sort that will ever lose relevance.

I don't think we had any disagreements in anything in the time we got to work together. Some fruitful work was done in things we considered adding, but had to dismiss.

Tony's a great guy. Losing him from the project is a great blow, no doubt about it, but part of why I esteem him so highly is because he has his priorities in order and no doubt he has chosen to do what is best.

The search for a co-author goes on.

TonyRo wrote on 12/30/15 at 16:52:35:
Nothing like that. Bryan and I got along great, no tension at all. Overall I think we also very much agreed on the lines that we wanted in the book.

The main thing is that I just really struggled for time, and I underestimated how long it would take me to finish. I worked on the project for a month or so, and when I looked at what I had finished, it was not nearly as much as I wanted. And at the pace I was going, it simply would have been an unacceptably long period of time to completion. And that's not fair to anyone involved, so I didn't want to string along Bryan/Everyman.

As far as I know they were going to find Play 1.Nf3 another coauthor, so don't worry as of yet!

Hi Guys,

Thanks for explaining. I didnt mean to suggest you had a falling out or anything, apologies if that is how my post reads. I was just thinking that in an earlier post it had been mentioned that Brian was seeking an edge in all lines, and given the passage of time since this task was started, some of those lines may have now needed updating again (which may in turn may have created other difficulties in the repertoire).

"As Mikhail Tal would say ' Let's have a bit of hooliganism! '"

Victor Bologan.

IP Logged

BPaulsen
God Member

I Love Light Squares!

Reply #198 - 01/02/16 at 06:14:44
Post Tools
RoleyPoley wrote on 12/30/15 at 10:23:58:
GabrielGale wrote on 12/29/15 at 20:31:21:
Just read on QC blog that TonyRo, replying to a query, has announced he is no longer involved in this project. http://www.qualitychess.co.uk/blog/4201#comment-293251 Perhaps Tony can elaborate? And any further info on the project as a whole? Thanks.
Quote:
Bad news – I had to drop off the “Play 1.Nf3” project. I thought finishing it up would be quite a bit quicker than it was. Bryan had a very large majority done, but even so, once I decided to put my name on something, I felt the need to check everything, etc. I simply didn’t think I could finish it up in as timely a matter as Bryan deserved.

I'm wondering from that if some of the lines Brian had put together had now lost their edge and a more serious re-write is needed, or there was a strong disagreement in one of the lines. Does seem a bit odd that two seriously hard working writers who appear to get on with each other, are unable to finish the project.

The sort of lines I tend to choose are those that might go in and out of fashion, but are not the sort that will ever lose relevance.

I don't think we had any disagreements in anything in the time we got to work together. Some fruitful work was done in things we considered adding, but had to dismiss.

Tony's a great guy. Losing him from the project is a great blow, no doubt about it, but part of why I esteem him so highly is because he has his priorities in order and no doubt he has chosen to do what is best.

The search for a co-author goes on.

2288 USCF, 2186 FIDE.

FIDE based on just 27 games.
YIMAIM  
IP Logged

TonyRo
God Member

I'm gonna crack your skull!

Reply #197 - 12/30/15 at 16:52:35
Post Tools
Nothing like that. Bryan and I got along great, no tension at all. Overall I think we also very much agreed on the lines that we wanted in the book.

The main thing is that I just really struggled for time, and I underestimated how long it would take me to finish. I worked on the project for a month or so, and when I looked at what I had finished, it was not nearly as much as I wanted. And at the pace I was going, it simply would have been an unacceptably long period of time to completion. And that's not fair to anyone involved, so I didn't want to string along Bryan/Everyman.

As far as I know they were going to find Play 1.Nf3 another coauthor, so don't worry as of yet!

IP Logged

RoleyPoley
God Member

I Love ChessPublishing!

Reply #196 - 12/30/15 at 10:23:58
Post Tools
GabrielGale wrote on 12/29/15 at 20:31:21:
Just read on QC blog that TonyRo, replying to a query, has announced he is no longer involved in this project. http://www.qualitychess.co.uk/blog/4201#comment-293251 Perhaps Tony can elaborate? And any further info on the project as a whole? Thanks.
Quote:
Bad news – I had to drop off the “Play 1.Nf3” project. I thought finishing it up would be quite a bit quicker than it was. Bryan had a very large majority done, but even so, once I decided to put my name on something, I felt the need to check everything, etc. I simply didn’t think I could finish it up in as timely a matter as Bryan deserved.

I'm wondering from that if some of the lines Brian had put together had now lost their edge and a more serious re-write is needed, or there was a strong disagreement in one of the lines. Does seem a bit odd that two seriously hard working writers who appear to get on with each other, are unable to finish the project.

"As Mikhail Tal would say ' Let's have a bit of hooliganism! '"

Victor Bologan.

IP Logged

LostTactic

I Love ChessPublishing!

Reply #195 - 12/29/15 at 23:07:11
Post Tools
Perhaps IM Christof Sielecki could do it? From viewing his blitz games, he plays 1.Nf3 a lot and seems to know what he's doing. That's unless another author has already been lined up? IM John Bartholomew is another Youtuber that plays 1.Nf3 a lot as well, I don't think he's written a book before though.

IP Logged

GabrielGale

Who was Thursday?

Reply #194 - 12/29/15 at 20:31:21
Post Tools
Quote:

A Year With Nessie ...... aka GM John Shaw's The King's Gambit (http://thekinggambit.blogspot.com.au/)

IP Logged

BladezII

Member of chesspublishing
.com and STC Club

Reply #193 - 12/12/15 at 16:30:24
Post Tools
Is this still coming from Everyman chess ?

I am a participating member of chesspublishing.com since 1998.

IP Logged

codekiddy
YaBB Newbies

I Love ChessPublishing!

Reply #192 - 11/09/15 at 12:12:25
Post Tools
So many books in one place, added to my bookmarks.

I wish the Game collections section on the page would also provide PGN format  Grin

IP Logged

ghenghisclown
God Member

Pedicare Vestri Latin

Reply #191 - 10/19/15 at 07:49:53
Post Tools
Let's not forget the Double Fianchetto Maroczy Bind.

"Experience is a dim lamp, which only lights the one who bears it."

IP Logged

GabrielGale

Who was Thursday?

Reply #190 - 10/03/15 at 07:48:21
Post Tools
Thanks Tony for the prompt reply. Really, really interested now as Khalifman/Kramnik was original inspiration.
Good that BPaulsen is sticking to the original idea. Will go back and read the previous posts Edited:
Quote:
Part 1: The Dark-Squared Defenses
Chapter 1: Anglo-Grunfeld Defense (5.Qb3)
Chapter 2: King's Indian Defense (7.d5, Petrosian Variation)
Chapter 3: Old-Indian Defense (5.Be2, Classical Variation)
Chapter 4: Modern Defense (in particular, for the Pirc move order of 1...g6/2...d6, 4.Bd3)
Chapter 5: Two Knights' Tango (4.a3, with a very rare recommendation following in the main line)

Part 2: The Light-Squared Defenses
Chapter 1: Double Fianchetto Defense (main line)
Chapter 2: Hedgehog Defense (7.Re1 against 6...d6/6...a6, 7.d4 against 6...Be7)
Chapter 3: Anglo-Queen's Indian Defense (7.Re1)
Chapter 4: Dutch Defense (main lines, with a brief explanation of why I didn't find 2.d3 particularly appealing - darn that 2...Nc6!)
Chapter 5: Romanishin's Defense (main line)

Part 3: The Symmetrical English
Chapter 1: The Maroczy Bind (main line)
Chapter 2: 2...Nc6 without ...Nf6 (3.Nc3)
Chapter 3: 2...Nf6 without ...Nc6/with ...d5 (5.d4)
Chapter 4: The Symmetrical English 4 Knights (main lines)
Chapter 5: Miscellaneous (1...b6/a6/b5/h6)

Part 4: The Queen's Pawn Defenses
Chapter 1: The Queen's Gambit Accepted (7.dxc5, sadly)
Chapter 2: The Slav Defense (The Slow Slav, 4.Nbd2 against the Noteboom and 5.Nbd2 against the Semi-Slav - I had no interest in entertaining the Meran or anti-Meran, 4...a6 5.Bd3 Bg4 6.h3 for the Chebanenko, 4...g6 sees Bd3 over Be2).
Chapter 3: The Tarrasch Defense (9.dxc5 Bxc5 10.a3)
Chapter 4: The Catalan Opening (too long to list, but I differ from existing sources in some areas and tend to agree with them in the lesser variations)
Chapter 5: Rare Queen's Pawn Defenses (Symmetrical Defense sees 3.c4, Chigorin goes down the main line with 4.cxd5, Baltic Defense goes down the main lines)

I remember when I first got into this Forum and was introduced to opening books. The majority of opening books highly recommended were by the very enthusiasts of the opening. I remember I bought Rogozenko's Sveshnikov, Rowson's Grunfeld, Greet's Ruy Lopez, Vigus' Pirc, Khalifman's Kramnik based on recommendations on the Forum, even though they were above my head. But the commonality amongst these books is that very enthusiasm/passion. I have added Ntirlis' Tarrasch and French, and Shaw's KG. Now, I added recently, Rotella's Sicilian (the preface by Shabalov encapsulate exactly what I am saying).
In 2016, I have to get this Paulsen/Rotella 1 Nf3 to add to this collection.
Hmmmm, I might even get Kotronias' KID series but will probably only finish it when I an 90 yo! Grin
Also on the wish list is Smerdon's Scandinavian.
Sorry for the digression, but anticipation ran away with me. Smiley

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 14
Topic Tools
Bookmarks: del.icio.us Digg Facebook Google Google+ Linked in reddit StumbleUpon Twitter Yahoo