Latest Updates:
Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 14
Topic Tools
Very Hot Topic (More than 25 Replies) An interesting new chesspub member-authored book! (Read 155882 times)
BPaulsen
God Member

I Love Light Squares!

Re: An interesting new chesspub member-authored book!
Reply #144 - 12/04/13 at 01:27:33
Post Tools
Ametanoitos wrote on 12/03/13 at 07:36:32:
The Semi-Slav book looks great. We like to see "Play 1.Nf3" soon! Hope you have the time to finish it quickly and not be taken aback by perfectionism.  Smiley

If it weren't for my attempts to squeeze blood from turnips "Play 1.Nf3!" would have been done a long time ago. Perfectionism started out as the goal, getting += in everything. It's just not possible, but making life unpleasant isn't impossible. Admittedly, even that much can be hard to come by in some variations...

I definitely understand why it is so much more popular to recommend openings from Black's perspective after this experience. Equalizing, or getting something close enough to it, is so, so much easier than finding += in critical continuations. The burden of proof is almost always on White.

As for the Semi-Slav book, I hope people get something out of it.

2288 USCF, 2186 FIDE.

FIDE based on just 27 games.
YIMAIM  
IP Logged

Ametanoitos
God Member

The road to success is
under construction

Reply #143 - 12/03/13 at 07:36:32
Post Tools
The Semi-Slav book looks great. We like to see "Play 1.Nf3" soon! Hope you have the time to finish it quickly and not be taken aback by perfectionism.  Smiley

IP Logged

BPaulsen
God Member

I Love Light Squares!

Reply #142 - 11/23/13 at 19:55:31
Post Tools
LostTactic wrote on 11/23/13 at 17:13:03:
@BPaulsen I have noticed on chessdirect that: Chess Developments: Semi-Slav 5.Bg5 is due out soon (pre-ordered it). Is Play 1.Nf3 likely to be out by spring, summer or later? Thanks.

Now that the Semi-Slav text is finished I am working on the 1.Nf3 book again. No expected date due, the scope of the work is much larger.

As for some concerns the previous poster had - I expect all the continuations I offer to be, at the very minimum, sound. It is impossible to guarantee a tangible advantage in every line of every opening, especially the popular ones. I have opted to make life as unpleasant for black as possible by giving white long-term chances even in the continuations that are equal.

I do make it a point to explain why I didn't go with other major continuations at various junctions (ie: the QGA). Especially when the lines I recommend are ones I evaluate as objectively equal (ie: 4...dxc4 5.Bg2 Bb4+ 6.Bd2 a5 Open Catalan), or very close to equality. Practically unpleasant, if one thinks such a term vague, means over the board black will be under pressure, and in correspondence black cannot just engine his way to an easy draw, but draw he ultimately should in my estimation.

By doing this I guarantee that even if a reader thinks my recommendation to be unimpressive, then he will be confronted with the reality that the alternatives are similarly unimpressive. Of course, chess still has development left in it and I could be proven wrong with future developments in engines/deep research, but it won't be for a lack of trying.

2288 USCF, 2186 FIDE.

YIMAIM  
IP Logged

LostTactic

I Love ChessPublishing!

Reply #141 - 11/23/13 at 17:13:03
Post Tools
@BPaulsen I have noticed on chessdirect that: Chess Developments: Semi-Slav 5.Bg5 is due out soon (pre-ordered it). Is Play 1.Nf3 likely to be out by spring, summer or later? Thanks.

IP Logged

punter

I Love ChessPublishing!

Reply #140 - 11/12/12 at 18:05:25
Post Tools
Quote:
The market has been recently flooded with top quality works on Nf3 lines of the english / catalan / fianchetto KID. What can a non-titled player do in a single volume that can meet the needs of an expert level audience better than the recent 5 volumes by Khalifman, 3 volumes by Marin, 2 volumes by Avruk and 3 volumes by Ippolito?

I am for one more likely to buy a shorter book when author made a choice about what's important for me. This is difficult task and the author as an expert on presented lines should be able to do that.
I bought 100+ chess books in my life and I am careful these days. Names and titles doesn't mean much if your mainline collapses after 5 seconds of analysis with Houdini (Avrukh vs KID) or if you don't cover the main most critical move in the main line (9..a6 or 10..a6 after 10.b4/Rb1 in reversed dragon in Marin repertoire).
On the other hand if the author passionate about his opening shows me some positions/ideas to apply withotu bombarding me with 1000+ pages of leaky reference then we are talking.

IP Logged

BPaulsen
God Member

I Love Light Squares!

Reply #139 - 11/09/12 at 00:50:54
Post Tools
Black does equalize in both knight retreats in the analysis I performed, he just has to know what he's doing (his most desirable set-up is different after each). The same goes for a lot of Moscow (and particularly Anti-Moscow) continuations.

It's a good practical try for white, though, if he's willing to learn the ins and outs.

2288 USCF, 2186 FIDE.

YIMAIM  
IP Logged

tony37
God Member

I Love ChessPublishing!

Reply #138 - 11/08/12 at 11:52:54
Post Tools
BPaulsen wrote on 11/08/12 at 05:53:54:
5.Bg5 was going to be the original recommendation, but I just couldn't find anything in a few lines that justified memorizing 20+ moves of complex theory in the Anti-Moscow, while the line I was favoring for white in the typical Moscow was beaten down efficiently (read as: equalized effortlessly) in a fairly recent Kramnik-Aronian game.

I might be wrong of course (since you probably did a lot more work on this than I did), but I had the impression that it's not easy for black to equalise after 5.Bg5 h6 6.Bxf6 Qxf6 7.e3 Nd7 8.Bd3 dxc4 9.Bxc4 g6 10.O-O Bg7 11.Qc2 O-O 12.Ne4 Qe7 13.Bb3 and after 13...e5 both 14.Nc3 and 14.Ng3 look interesting (but I think Ng3 is best)

IP Logged

BPaulsen
God Member

I Love Light Squares!

Reply #137 - 11/08/12 at 05:53:54
Post Tools
LostTactic wrote on 11/07/12 at 05:34:26:
Question for BPaulsen - I remember reading earlier that you were recommending Bg5 vs Semi-Slav, however because you're covering this in your Chess Developments book, will you be changing this recommendation in your Nf3 book or will it be similar coverage to your Chess Developments book? Also I must say that this Play 1.Nf3 book is the book I'm looking forward to the most atm, as I want to switch to 1.Nf3, but will stick with 1.d4 ala Schandorff till this book comes out. I do have the Khalifman books but they're incredibly intimidating and I'm hoping your book will be more accessible for someone at my level (roughly 1950 Fide).

5.Bg5 was going to be the original recommendation, but I just couldn't find anything in a few lines that justified memorizing 20+ moves of complex theory in the Anti-Moscow, while the line I was favoring for white in the typical Moscow was beaten down efficiently (read as: equalized effortlessly) in a fairly recent Kramnik-Aronian game.

Lines changed, expectations changed, the Slav/Semi-Slav complex cannot guarantee a += for white, and the best I could come up with were positions more comfortable for white (more space, better activity, things of those nature). I did my best, and that's about all I can say.

"Chess Developments: The Semi-Slav with 5.Bg5" was a project that only came about due to the amount of work I created detailing analysis on the Botvinnik, Anti-Moscow, Moscow, and Cambridge Springs. That book is actually almost done, I just need to finish the Botvinnik section, and expand the annotations.

In comparing to Khalifman, heh... Khalifman is much more thorough, but then he had the space to be. That said, that isn't a criticism - it still takes time to write all of those sidelines, even those awful/dubious ones he takes time to address. I wouldn't want to do it even if I had the space.

I focus on lines that, in my opinion, are critical due to popularity, logic/principle, or engine preference and focus on explaining those because they usually form the "core" of understanding the resulting positions. In the case of "lesser defenses" this often makes for more clear and concise explanations that lower class players can handle easily because the advantages crystallize more clearly. In openings like, for example, the Hedgehog, it can be difficult to realize the nature of a space advantage that has reduced black's counterplay to near zero - you still have to break his position! At that point you're left with maybe explaining thematic maneuvers (if they exist) and general ideas/principles, but it can get vague and difficult for people that need specifics - if you're ever wondering why an author cops out with the "and white is better due to his space" without saying more - that's why! At that point the best advice takes you outside of the book - study games from these positions, play training games against stronger players/engines, and do personal study. Only at that point will the player realize why white's space matters for more concrete reasons.

But that's why the popular lines are popular. White's task isn't ever easy there.

2288 USCF, 2186 FIDE.

YIMAIM  
IP Logged

LostTactic

I Love ChessPublishing!

Reply #136 - 11/07/12 at 05:34:26
Post Tools
Question for BPaulsen - I remember reading earlier that you were recommending Bg5 vs Semi-Slav, however because you're covering this in your Chess Developments book, will you be changing this recommendation in your Nf3 book or will it be similar coverage to your Chess Developments book? Also I must say that this Play 1.Nf3 book is the book I'm looking forward to the most atm, as I want to switch to 1.Nf3, but will stick with 1.d4 ala Schandorff till this book comes out. I do have the Khalifman books but they're incredibly intimidating and I'm hoping your book will be more accessible for someone at my level (roughly 1950 Fide).

IP Logged

ghenghisclown
God Member

Pedicare Vestri Latin

Reply #135 - 09/18/12 at 05:39:58
Post Tools
Cool man, thanx for the hint!! Smiley

"Experience is a dim lamp, which only lights the one who bears it."

IP Logged

BPaulsen
God Member

I Love Light Squares!

Reply #134 - 09/18/12 at 01:57:15
Post Tools
gewgaw wrote on 09/17/12 at 13:18:30:
http://www.everymanchess.com/chess/books/Play_1Nf3%3A_A_complete_opening_reperto...
Published August 2013!! Why does it take so long?  Angry

It´s true, that lots of books about 1.Nf3 entered the market lately, but very often I could use just some lines and parts of the book, so I´ll definitely buy Paulson´s book and would be content to get two, better three new lines in my repertoire.

Life happened. Unfortunately. Things were rolling along smoothly, and then my day job turned ridiculous.

Plus, CD:SS w/5.Bg5 got prioritized.

ghenghisclown: The Classical KID. A variation Ponomariov has had some success with. Wink

I'd be lying if I said I didn't want to do something on the Bayonet as a possibly better try for an edge given the way theory is going of late, but alas - I'm not rewriting that chapter, and I stand by the analysis.

2288 USCF, 2186 FIDE.

YIMAIM  
IP Logged

gewgaw
God Member

I love ChessPublishing.com!

Reply #133 - 09/17/12 at 13:18:30
Post Tools
http://www.everymanchess.com/chess/books/Play_1Nf3%3A_A_complete_opening_reperto...
Published August 2013!! Why does it take so long?  Angry

It´s true, that lots of books about 1.Nf3 entered the market lately, but very often I could use just some lines and parts of the book, so I´ll definitely buy Paulson´s book and would be content to get two, better three new lines in my repertoire.

The older, the better - over 2200 and still rising.

IP Logged

ghenghisclown
God Member

Pedicare Vestri Latin

Reply #132 - 09/17/12 at 03:33:20
Post Tools
Ever since you made the comment that you weren't going to include the Gligorich...I've been dying of curiosity... What are you going to suggest against the KID??

"Experience is a dim lamp, which only lights the one who bears it."

IP Logged

BPaulsen
God Member

I Love Light Squares!

Reply #131 - 08/09/12 at 06:31:40
Post Tools
moahunter wrote on 08/08/12 at 20:20:57:
I wonder if you really mean that. Sure there are lots of hasty products today by some chess authors, but the really good ones that last the test of time, like the Dynamic English, are few and far between. In some respects I suspect effectively making chess digestible for lessor players in a good way, might be more challenging, harder to do, and take longer, than an expert repertoire.

The product wouldn't be hasty, but relieved of the analytical need to pose problems the task would be considerably simpler. You are just left with the analysis, and explanations. It is easier to explain what is going on in a position than to pose problems in certain openings, in my opinion.

This has been the case with "Chess Developments: The Semi-Slav with 5.Bg5".

Writing a classic isn't easy. It's a credit to GM Kosten that he pulled off the feat. I hold no pretensions that anything I write will reach that category - I'm simply trying to make it as good as I can.

2288 USCF, 2186 FIDE.

YIMAIM  
IP Logged

moahunter

I Love ChessPublishing!

Reply #130 - 08/08/12 at 20:20:57
Post Tools
BPaulsen wrote on 08/07/12 at 17:20:03:
@tony37:
@moahunter:

1.Nf3 is consistently inconsistent in that the opponent will determine the shape of the battle, while white just directs the flow until a tabiya is reached.

As I have stated before, I don't believe an advantage is possible in every line, nor do I expect to achieve such.

The main ambition is to give the second player problems to solve, regardless of how it is done. That's the unifying theme of the repertoire, as is the case with any ambitious repertoire.

There aren't that many sharp lines requiring memorization over learning in the repertoire, to be honest. I'm reasonably sure that really only the Catalan chapter qualifies as memory dependent, because it is simply impossible to pose problems without it.

Fair enough. The catalan is probably too much for me, I found I either aren't:
1. patient enough, or
2. sophisticated enough in my chess understanding (only 1800's).

On this comment:

Quote:
The goal of the repertoire is not some easy-to-digest 1.Nf3 repertoire, I could have written something to that effect in a very, very short time.

I wonder if you really mean that. Sure there are lots of hasty products today by some chess authors, but the really good ones that last the test of time, like the Dynamic English, are few and far between. In some respects I suspect effectively making chess digestible for lessor players in a good way, might be more challenging, harder to do, and take longer, than an expert repertoire.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 14
Topic Tools
Bookmarks: del.icio.us Digg Facebook Google Google+ Linked in reddit StumbleUpon Twitter Yahoo