Latest Updates:
Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 14
Topic Tools
Very Hot Topic (More than 25 Replies) An interesting new chesspub member-authored book! (Read 118326 times)
TonyRo
God Member

I'm gonna crack your skull!

Re: An interesting new chesspub member-authored book!
Reply #189 - 10/03/15 at 03:43:10
Post Tools
GabrielGale wrote on 10/03/15 at 02:02:05:
The overall "opening philosophy"...

I'd say this veers further away from Wojo and quite a bit closer to Kramnik. In the Wojo books, Hilton very much focused on the Fianchetto approaches to nearly everything, and in a lot of variations was choosing ideas that Wojo liked instead of ones that were the theoretically most testing. The Kramnik books didn't have a theme per se, it's more about using 1.Nf3 to transpose to 1.d4 lines while avoiding certain lines. And within those lines, it was always about searching for that edge. There's also less g3+Bg2. No Fianchetto KID or Grunfeld, or g3 in the Slav.

I think I remembered BPaulsen saying it was a variation-trees-based book. Is that remaining the same? Will there be explanations similar in extent to your Sicilian book?

It will be the tree format - I think it's just strictly superior to complete games for opening books. Instructive fragments and game quotations have their place, but I find the complete games format to be organizationally more confusing and something of a space-waster. Bryan has already given very insightful commentary on all of his analysis. He has an elegant writing style - no space is wasted, he's straight to the point, and his analysis is very tight and well organized. I am sure with me finishing and checking everything that I'll gum it up a bit though! Close to what my book looks like, perhaps slightly more succinct (that's probably a good thing).

Are you able to say something about the repertoire itself? e.g. vs 1…c5, 1…d5 (QGD, Slav, Semi-Slav), 1…Nf6 (KID, Grunfeld, Bogo-Indian) et al?

It is basically still the same as what Bryan wrote a few pages ago. Catalan, Slow Slav, 7.dxc5 QGA, standard Hedgehog stuff, Anti-Grunfeld, etc. We are debating the KID recommendation and some ideas in the English right now. Nothing is set in stone, but Bryan has done a huge amount of work already. The amount of analysis that's still needed is relatively tiny compared to what he's already amassed. He's done a great job, and I'm really just coming in to walk this one across the finish line because he's busy!

At what level do you think the repertoire is pitched at? in terms of (a) opening itself? (b) the lines and variations? c) explanations (textual)?

I don't think this is going to be a book that lower-rated club players are going to want to pick up. Perhaps this is a book for an ambitious 1800 and up. A lot of the lines are stylistically aligned with Bryan's taste, which is very close to the Kramnik repertoire/style in a majority of lines. The Catalan, Hedgehog, Maroczy, etc, require a good positional sense and a love for nurturing those small, torturous edges and slowly improving your position. I absolutely love that kind of chess, so I'm sure that Bryan and I will have no problems working together!

But overall, BPaulsen could give you a better idea on the specifics - this is his baby, I'm just here to help!  Grin

IP Logged

GabrielGale

Who was Thursday?

Reply #188 - 10/03/15 at 02:02:05
Post Tools
Thanks Tony for the update. Can you provide some info on the following:
1) the overall "opening philosophy", i.e., Khalifman's Kramnik series was 1 Nf3 transposing into a QGD, mainline KID etc in 1ed and then into a Catalan in 2 ed.
Hilton's Wojo's Weapons was also Catalan and fianchetto KID
OR is there one? Or not - mixture of lines and variations?

2) I think I remembered BPaulsen saying it was a variation-trees-based book. Is that remaining the same? Will there be explanations similar in extent to your Sicilian book?

3) Are you able to say something about the repertoire itself? e.g. vs 1…c5, 1…d5 (QGD, Slav, Semi-Slav), 1…Nf6 (KID, Grunfeld, Bogo-Indian) et al?

4) At what level do you think the repertoire is pitched at? in terms of (a) opening itself? (b) the lines and variations? c) explanations (textual)?

Thanks as usual. Your replies much appreciated.

http://www.toutautre.blogspot.com/
A Year With Nessie ...... aka GM John Shaw's The King's Gambit (http://thekinggambit.blogspot.com.au/)

IP Logged

TonyRo
God Member

Reply #187 - 10/02/15 at 13:31:01
Post Tools
GabrielGale wrote on 10/01/15 at 23:18:23:
That is great news.

LostTactic wrote on 10/01/15 at 23:22:53:
Great news, I feared this project had died.

Bibs wrote on 10/02/15 at 05:40:35:
Great news. Two people whose ideas and analyses I have much respect for hereabouts. Muchly looking forward to this.

Thanks guys!

GabrielGale wrote on 10/01/15 at 23:18:23:
BTW, off-topic just a quick note, managed finally to get hold of a copy of your Sicilian book and on first glance , really good!! Almost tempt me into playing 1..c5!

Thanks so much, really appreciate it! Give in to the dark side!  Grin

Bibs wrote on 10/02/15 at 05:40:35:
Yeah, Tony, dates please!

LostTactic wrote on 10/01/15 at 23:22:53:
Tony can you give a rough estimation about when the book might be completed? Early 2016, spring 2016, summer 2016 or later? Thanks.

Too early to say at the moment, but the reality is that even if I turned in a final manuscript today, the book wouldn't be out for another 3 months in all likelihood. Editing, typesetting, final review, printing, shipping, etc. So I'd say realistically you're looking @ Spring/Summer 2016.

IP Logged

Bibs
God Member

Reply #186 - 10/02/15 at 05:40:35
Post Tools
Great news. Two people whose ideas and analyses I have much respect for hereabouts. Muchly looking forward to this.
Yeah, Tony, dates please!

IP Logged

LostTactic

I Love ChessPublishing!

Reply #185 - 10/01/15 at 23:22:53
Post Tools
Great news, I feared this project had died.

Tony can you give a rough estimation about when the book might be completed? Early 2016, spring 2016, summer 2016 or later? Thanks.

IP Logged

GabrielGale

Who was Thursday?

Reply #184 - 10/01/15 at 23:18:23
Post Tools
That is great news. I have been looking forward to this since the project was announced. Will probably get back to 1 Nf3 once I got my feet wet in 1 e4 Open games.

BTW, off-topic just a quick note, managed finally to get hold of a copy of your Sicilian book and on first glance , really good!! Almost tempt me into playing 1..c5!

http://www.toutautre.blogspot.com/
A Year With Nessie ...... aka GM John Shaw's The King's Gambit (http://thekinggambit.blogspot.com.au/)

IP Logged

TonyRo
God Member

Reply #183 - 10/01/15 at 13:55:09
Post Tools
BPaulsen wrote on 08/14/15 at 16:47:05:
The only news is that a co-author will likely be added to finish the project. I have had too little time to dedicate to it for the last several months, hence the necessity.

This is me, by the way. Will know more once I really delve into the project (so far I am just getting my feet wet), but I have Bryan's work so far and it is, as one would expect, quite excellent. I'm excited to get this one out there, I think people will really like it.

Grin

IP Logged

Glenn Snow
God Member

Reply #182 - 08/14/15 at 20:52:34
Post Tools
I couldn't help but buy a TonyRo/BPaulsen book.  Or perhaps that should read, "a BPaulsen/TonyRo book.

IP Logged

BPaulsen
God Member

I Love Light Squares!

Reply #181 - 08/14/15 at 17:07:39
Post Tools
Check your messages.

2288 USCF, 2186 FIDE.

FIDE based on just 27 games.
YIMAIM  
IP Logged

TonyRo
God Member

Reply #180 - 08/14/15 at 17:03:22
Post Tools
Bring in TonyRo!  Grin

IP Logged

BPaulsen
God Member

I Love Light Squares!

Reply #179 - 08/14/15 at 16:47:05
Post Tools
The only news is that a co-author will likely be added to finish the project. I have had too little time to dedicate to it for the last several months, hence the necessity.

2288 USCF, 2186 FIDE.

FIDE based on just 27 games.
YIMAIM  
IP Logged

ghenghisclown
God Member

Pedicare Vestri Latin

Reply #178 - 08/12/15 at 08:33:04
Post Tools
Good point.

"Experience is a dim lamp, which only lights the one who bears it."

IP Logged

Glenn Snow
God Member

Reply #177 - 08/07/15 at 13:56:10
Post Tools
ghenghisclown wrote on 08/06/15 at 07:30:25:
No news? let me guess, it'll be finished when it's finished.

Yes, but will everyone be playing Chess960 by then?

IP Logged

ghenghisclown
God Member

Pedicare Vestri Latin

Reply #176 - 08/06/15 at 07:30:25
Post Tools
No news? let me guess, it'll be finished when it's finished.

"Experience is a dim lamp, which only lights the one who bears it."

IP Logged

LostTactic

I Love ChessPublishing!

Reply #175 - 07/07/15 at 16:20:56
Post Tools
@BPaulsen can you give any updates on when you think your book will be published?

From the comments above I'm guessing a 2016 publication is most likely, however, could you say whether it's likely to be: spring, summer or winter next year?

Thanks!

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 14
Topic Tools
Bookmarks: del.icio.us Digg Facebook Google Google+ Linked in reddit StumbleUpon Twitter Yahoo