Latest Updates:
Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 ... 11 12 [13] 14 
Topic Tools
Very Hot Topic (More than 25 Replies) An interesting new chesspub member-authored book! (Read 116309 times)
BPaulsen
God Member

I Love Light Squares!

Re: An interesting new chesspub member-authored book!
Reply #24 - 12/28/11 at 23:56:53
Post Tools
moahunter wrote on 12/28/11 at 02:43:17:
Good luck with your book, it looks interesting.

This surprises me a bit:

BPaulsen wrote on 12/22/11 at 18:26:36:
As for the Slav, it's going to be as main line as it gets, since the Semi-Slav is going straight down 5. Bg5.

I am struggling to learn the Semi-Slav Botvinnik, Moscow and Cambridge Springs right now using Schandorff's book. So much memorization due to all the tactics / complexity, I'm not sure how much I will remember OTB.

If 1Nf3 doesn't effectively avoid this theory, what are some of its advantages in your opinion versus learning 1d4, 2c4?

Is your method like Kramnik, basically an Anti-Gruenfeld / certain Indian's approach?

It's precisely the Kramnik approach, in concept at least (I can't say my choices would be his choices).

The advantage of 1.Nf3 versus 1.d4 is more stylistically related than theoretical. Both moves have their potential problems (Hedgehog versus Grunfeld, for example) theoretically, but in general 1.Nf3 is quieter due to naturally forfeiting the sharper options available to 1.d4. On the other hand, white has more flexibility in determining the pawn structure.

Of course, with how varied chess is that is a very generalized summary. Take it with a grain of salt.

2288 USCF, 2186 FIDE.

FIDE based on just 27 games.
YIMAIM  
IP Logged

moahunter

I Love ChessPublishing!

Reply #23 - 12/28/11 at 02:43:17
Post Tools
Good luck with your book, it looks interesting.

This surprises me a bit:

As for the Slav, it's going to be as main line as it gets, since the Semi-Slav is going straight down 5. Bg5.

I am struggling to learn the Semi-Slav Botvinnik, Moscow and Cambridge Springs right now using Schandorff's book. So much memorization due to all the tactics / complexity, I'm not sure how much I will remember OTB.

If 1Nf3 doesn't effectively avoid this theory, what are some of its advantages in your opinion versus learning 1d4, 2c4?

Is your method like Kramnik, basically an Anti-Gruenfeld / certain Indian's approach?

IP Logged

Fllg
God Member

I Love ChessPublishing!

Reply #22 - 12/25/11 at 16:14:39
Post Tools
BPaulsen wrote on 12/25/11 at 10:00:00:
I'm trying very hard to make this repertoire critical, but I do not believe any white opening repertoire can produce an advantage without fail everywhere (regardless of 1.e4,  1.d4, 1.Nf3, 1.c4) - in the cases where an advantage doesn't seem viable, I will seek alternatives where the resulting middle game gives white methods to improve his position in order to strive for the full point.
That's the nature of things.

A big thumbs up for this and your honest approach.

While a lifetime 1.e4-player myself I will probably buy your book just out of curiosity. And because I want to see what you recommend against my Black repertoire  Wink.

IP Logged

BPaulsen
God Member

I Love Light Squares!

Reply #21 - 12/25/11 at 10:00:00
Post Tools
Gilchrist is a legend wrote on 12/23/11 at 02:21:55:
Which line? Is it the 1. c4 Nf6 2. Nf3 g6 3. Nc3 d5? This line is very annoying for Black.

That position is covered in the book. Tentatively speaking, Chapter 1, in fact.

Quote:
Good luck- await your ideas with interest.

I wonder what you are going to recommend against a move 1...c5 which seemed to cause Kramnik a few issues

2.c4

But seriously, there will be attempts to find something plausible worth playing for white in any critical try.

I'm trying very hard to make this repertoire critical, but I do not believe any white opening repertoire can produce an advantage without fail everywhere (regardless of 1.e4,  1.d4, 1.Nf3, 1.c4) - in the cases where an advantage doesn't seem viable, I will seek alternatives where the resulting middle game gives white methods to improve his position in order to strive for the full point.

That's the nature of things.

2288 USCF, 2186 FIDE.

YIMAIM  
IP Logged

ANDREW BRETT
God Member

I Love ChessPublishing!

Reply #20 - 12/23/11 at 10:57:19
Post Tools
Good luck- await your ideas with interest.

I wonder what you are going to recommend against a move 1...c5 which seemed to cause Kramnik a few issues

IP Logged

Gilchrist is a legend
God Member

Reply #19 - 12/23/11 at 02:21:55
Post Tools
Which line? Is it the 1. c4 Nf6 2. Nf3 g6 3. Nc3 d5? This line is very annoying for Black.

Creo lo que creo no importa lo que creen los demás.

IP Logged

Willempie
God Member

I love ChessPublishing
.com!

Reply #18 - 12/22/11 at 23:04:11
Post Tools
Not exactly my cup of tea, but I might buy it anyway as I have noticed the way you approach openings. So good luck! Writing a book isnt easy.

If nothing else works, a total pig-headed unwillingness to look facts in the face will see us through.

IP Logged

Ametanoitos
God Member

The road to success is
under construction

Reply #17 - 12/22/11 at 22:36:03
Post Tools
It is not difficult to improve on the main recommendation of the Safest Grunfeld, but i hope that you'll not chose Topalov's idea he played against Kamsky. Black is fine there.

As for the Slav i'd go for the main line, but with e3 instead of Ne5, even thougth after Ne5 Black has difficulties equalising at present.

IP Logged

John Bartholomew
YaBB Newbies

Reply #16 - 12/22/11 at 20:11:50
Post Tools
Alias got two of the recommendations right. Wink

As for the Slav, it's going to be as main line as it gets, since the Semi-Slav is going straight down 5. Bg5. The Slav is a great opening, and, for example, I briefly mention the variations that put me off from recommending the fashionable 4. Qc2 with e3/Rd1 before Nc3 idea, and the Avrukh approach to the Slow Slav.

As for differences from the Khalifman series, just for an idea: part one of the book covers dark-squared defenses (Grunfeld, KID, Old Indian, Pirc/Modern, 1...d6) and there's very significant differences in choices (even the Old Indian chapter is appreciably different, with attention paid to the recent "The New Old Indian" recommendation), with explanations of why when possible.

I'm doing my best to ensure recent material on openings I cover is mentioned, for example "The Safest Grunfeld" recommendation is covered, and improved upon for white.

Wow, ambitious task indeed!  The "over" on 192 pages is a pretty safe bet, imo  Smiley

Best of luck, BPaulsen.  Really curious to read this - it sounds great!

IP Logged

BPaulsen
God Member

I Love Light Squares!

Reply #15 - 12/22/11 at 18:26:36
Post Tools
Alias got two of the recommendations right. Wink

As for the Slav, it's going to be as main line as it gets, since the Semi-Slav is going straight down 5. Bg5. The Slav is a great opening, and, for example, I briefly mention the variations that put me off from recommending the fashionable 4. Qc2 with e3/Rd1 before Nc3 idea, and the Avrukh approach to the Slow Slav.

As for differences from the Khalifman series, just for an idea: part one of the book covers dark-squared defenses (Grunfeld, KID, Old Indian, Pirc/Modern, 1...d6) and there's very significant differences in choices (even the Old Indian chapter is appreciably different, with attention paid to the recent "The New Old Indian" recommendation), with explanations of why when possible.

I'm doing my best to ensure recent material on openings I cover is mentioned, for example "The Safest Grunfeld" recommendation is covered, and improved upon for white.

2288 USCF, 2186 FIDE.

YIMAIM  
IP Logged

Ametanoitos
God Member

The road to success is
under construction

Reply #14 - 12/20/11 at 17:46:30
Post Tools
Fantastic news! I am looking forward to this one. I know how much serious worker is Bryan and i am sure that he will do his best. My experience tells me that a great deal of problems that you never expected to happen appear when you write a chess book. I hope that Bryan will not face many of them.

Once again, congrats and hope to get what i expect. A great book at the end!

IP Logged

Konstriktor

I Love ChessPublishing!

Reply #13 - 12/20/11 at 10:54:24
Post Tools
Good luck with the book. If it comes anywhere near the quality of your posts here, then it must be excellent.

IP Logged

2ofus
YaBB Newbies

I love ChessPublishing.com!

Reply #12 - 12/20/11 at 10:17:13
Post Tools
What will he go for v the Slav do u think?

IP Logged

Alias
God Member

Reply #11 - 12/20/11 at 08:42:03
Post Tools
I will certainly have a close look at this one! It is very obvious from posts here that BPaulsen knows this subject well. It will be interesting to see where he deviates from the Khalifman/Kramnik books. From reading the numerous posts here on 1.Nf3 systems we can have a few guesses.

I'm thinking:
  • QGD with Bf4
  • KID with Be3
  • Anti Grünfeld with Qb3 (I think)
  • Main line hedgehogs

Don't check me with no lightweight stuff.

IP Logged

BPaulsen
God Member

I Love Light Squares!

Reply #10 - 12/20/11 at 06:31:11
Post Tools
LostTactic wrote on 12/19/11 at 23:18:31:
Sounds great, but my only concern is 192 pgs seems quite short for a White repertoire book. Hopefully everyman aren't strict on this and it may goto like 300pgs, which I'd feel more comfortable buying. Also will the book be in the ABC format or games?

That page number is tentative.

ABC/Tree Format. It'd be impossible to cover the breadth of theory I'm covering with the complete game format.

2288 USCF, 2186 FIDE.

YIMAIM  
IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 ... 11 12 [13] 14 
Topic Tools
Bookmarks: del.icio.us Digg Facebook Google Google+ Linked in reddit StumbleUpon Twitter Yahoo