Latest Updates:
Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 ... 10 11 [12] 13 14 
Topic Tools
Very Hot Topic (More than 25 Replies) An interesting new chesspub member-authored book! (Read 134880 times)
Alias
God Member

Re: An interesting new chesspub member-authored book!
Reply #39 - 01/13/12 at 13:09:17
Post Tools
"The Paulsen Repertoire for Black and White"

Don't check me with no lightweight stuff.

IP Logged

Vass
God Member

I Love ChessPublishing!

Reply #38 - 01/13/12 at 11:42:16
Post Tools
BPaulsen wrote on 01/13/12 at 07:35:07:
Beyond that, re: black repertoire versus 1.c4, there have been preliminary discussions about a possible black repertoire book written by myself in the future, and it would presumably include responses to 1.c4. However, that is a long, long way off, and I first have to demonstrate I am capable of putting out quality work. There will be no putting the cart before the horse.

We can wait..  Wink
No matter what...take our support for granted!  Smiley

IP Logged

BPaulsen
God Member

I Love Light Squares!

Reply #37 - 01/13/12 at 07:35:07
Post Tools
@LostTactic:

I've been fond of 1.c4 Nf6 2.Nc3 (2.g3 e6, 2.Nf3 e6) e5 for a bit of time now. Obviously going with 1.c4 e5 isn't much different in the end.

@thibdb13:

Grin

@Gilchrist is a legend:

The book I'm writing will have a number of black improvements across various openings mentioned where I feel they're important to point out in demonstrating why I made the choices I made.

Beyond that, re: black repertoire versus 1.c4, there have been preliminary discussions about a possible black repertoire book written by myself in the future, and it would presumably include responses to 1.c4. However, that is a long, long way off, and I first have to demonstrate I am capable of putting out quality work. There will be no putting the cart before the horse.

2288 USCF, 2186 FIDE.

FIDE based on just 27 games.
YIMAIM  
IP Logged

Gilchrist is a legend
God Member

Reply #36 - 01/13/12 at 05:06:22
Post Tools
There seem to be barely any books for a Black repertoire against 1. c4 to begin with though.

Creo lo que creo no importa lo que creen los demás.

IP Logged

thibdb13
God Member

Tal was the best

Reply #35 - 01/12/12 at 12:50:45
Post Tools
After so many years, Paulsen alive and kicking?!

Yusupov once said that “The problem with the Dutch Defence is that later in many positions the best move would be ...f5-f7” but he is surely wrong.

IP Logged

LostTactic

I Love ChessPublishing!

Reply #34 - 01/04/12 at 17:43:17
Post Tools
After this book I think a good second book you could do is a repertoire vs English based on 1...e5 (think I remember reading somewhere that's what you play). Also it's been a while now since Beating Unusual Openings by Palliser, so just a similar book to that but updated would be great.

IP Logged

BPaulsen
God Member

I Love Light Squares!

Reply #33 - 01/04/12 at 01:20:19
Post Tools
@moahunter:

Semi-Slav is 1. Nf3 d5 2. d4 Nf6 3. c4 c6 4. Nc3 e6 5. Bg5 - no gimmicks in the early going.

The Noteboom proper will probably be covered as well barring some major discovery that upsets me. That might interest Markovich.

@LostTactic:
As for as why I'm writing a book - I've spent far, far too much time studying the repertoire and not playing in tournaments myself to let it go to waste.

Aside from that, writing it is also to immortalize the dedication to my friend who passed away, and heavily encouraged me. This is the biggest driving force, and why I want to make this book as good as I can possibly make it.

@Eclectico:

My choices will be based on what I think provides potential to score the point in the various middle game possibilities. This trumps all other considerations, including theoretical to a certain extent (ie: no recommending a pawn up rook ending that is ultimately a draw).

Without revealing too much - sadly the Gligoric KID was ruled out for very concrete reasons. I would have liked to recommend this for sentimental reasons and my own personal score with it.

2288 USCF, 2186 FIDE.

FIDE based on just 27 games.
YIMAIM  
IP Logged

moahunter

I Love ChessPublishing!

Reply #32 - 01/03/12 at 02:42:07
Post Tools
BPaulsen wrote on 12/28/11 at 23:56:53:
moahunter wrote on 12/28/11 at 02:43:17:
Good luck with your book, it looks interesting.

This surprises me a bit:

BPaulsen wrote on 12/22/11 at 18:26:36:
As for the Slav, it's going to be as main line as it gets, since the Semi-Slav is going straight down 5. Bg5.

I am struggling to learn the Semi-Slav Botvinnik, Moscow and Cambridge Springs right now using Schandorff's book. So much memorization due to all the tactics / complexity, I'm not sure how much I will remember OTB.

If 1Nf3 doesn't effectively avoid this theory, what are some of its advantages in your opinion versus learning 1d4, 2c4?

Is your method like Kramnik, basically an Anti-Gruenfeld / certain Indian's approach?

It's precisely the Kramnik approach, in concept at least (I can't say my choices would be his choices).

I thought some more about this, the author could be advocating Bg5, while avoiding the  Botvinnik, Moscow and Cambridge Springs lines by delaying Nc3 (i.e. Pallisers "Play 1.D4!" approach). I'm not sure that's "as mainline as it gets though".

And of course, even if not Pallisers method, I  guess you could augment the repertoire with that, if wanting to avoid complexity.

IP Logged

LostTactic

I Love ChessPublishing!

Reply #31 - 01/02/12 at 17:32:32
Post Tools
Writing a book I expect takes a lot of time and research, a lot of IMs and above who are still playing actively probably are more focused on improving their own game. Also how much do authors make from books? Obviously will depend on sales, would be interesting to know how much Avrukh made from GM 1+2, also if the book is not a success then it would be a lot of time wasted by the author/player, so there's a lot of risk involved. Not to mention writing good books is a skill in itself, imo Watson and Wells are the best at writing, content is the most important but I think the verbal explanations accompanying them are quite important as well.

IP Logged

Markovich
God Member

Reply #30 - 01/02/12 at 14:34:20
Post Tools
No, no, I meant nothing about BPaulsen, who I believe to be fully qualified to write such a book.  I'm talking about the general case.

@Gilchrist: I imagine the book will shed some light on that.

The Great Oz has spoken!

IP Logged

Eclectico

I Love ChessPublishing!

Reply #29 - 01/02/12 at 13:05:15
Post Tools
Markovich wrote on 01/02/12 at 12:46:57:
Is there not enough incentive for titled players to write openings works?  What gives?

As a former short-term student of BPaulsen, I can tell you that his devotion to / obsession with opening theory is far beyond that of many IM's.  I formerly took lessons from a good friend who is now "titled" and perhaps a tad stronger than Brian.  However, Brian's level of extensive opening preparation vastly exceeds that gentleman's level of study and that of a few 2400's I have met in person.

Only BPaulsen can answer questions regarding financial incentives, but I have observed more than a couple chess professionals who can make more money giving lessons.  I suspect that a FM level player working on a labor of love is easier to work with than a jaded IM for many publishers.

P.S.  Brian, I beg you to include the Gligoric KID, Blackburne QGD and Open Symmetrical English (early d4) in the works.  As you know, these lines can be absolutely crushing vs. the typical opponents your target audience faces.  Given the glut of fianchetto system books recently published (Avruk, Marin, Wojo, Donaldson, etc), it seems very logical that you will be rewarded much better financially for focusing on anything other than g3 systems, except where critical (tarrasch, hedgehog, etc)!

IP Logged

Markovich
God Member

Reply #28 - 01/02/12 at 12:46:57
Post Tools
I just noticed this.  Congrats to BPaulsen!  Knowing his scholarship and the quality of his chess ideas as well as I do, I'm very sure that this book will be quite valuable.

But I do wonder what's going on in the chess world, when so many books are being published whose authors are below the level of IM.  Is there not enough incentive for titled players to write openings works?  What gives?

The Great Oz has spoken!

IP Logged

Gilchrist is a legend
God Member

Reply #27 - 01/02/12 at 06:56:49
Post Tools
Why do people play the Anti-Grünfeld so often? Are the Anti-Grünfeld lines that much better than the main line Grünfeld?

Creo lo que creo no importa lo que creen los demás.

IP Logged

huibui

Reply #26 - 01/02/12 at 01:26:29
Post Tools
Have you already decided which Anti-Grunfeld line you will recommend? Houdini likes the lines that are given in the Delchev/Agrest book, do you have improvements over their analysis?

I remember from an earlier "conversation" that you like the Re1-lines against the hedgehog - did you find a satisfactory solution to the ...Be7 move order?

I wish you good luck with the book, I'm really looking forward to it!

You tell the young people of today that...

IP Logged

Mortal Games
God Member

Reply #25 - 01/01/12 at 16:39:26
Post Tools
Good luck for the book and Happy New Year everybody.
By the way, Delchev is writing another book "The Modern Reti. An Anti-Slav Repertoire". I really liked the structure of the Safest Grunfeld (best from Chess Stars so far).

It has been said that chess players are good at two things, Chess and Excuses.  It has also been said that Chess is where all excuses fail! In order to win you must dare to fail!

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 ... 10 11 [12] 13 14 
Topic Tools
Bookmarks: del.icio.us Digg Facebook Google Google+ Linked in reddit StumbleUpon Twitter Yahoo