Latest Updates:
Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9 10 ... 14
Topic Tools
Very Hot Topic (More than 25 Replies) An interesting new chesspub member-authored book! (Read 155884 times)
TalJechin
God Member

There is no secret ingredient.

Re: An interesting new chesspub member-authored book!
Reply #99 - 03/15/12 at 09:32:01
Post Tools
Quote:
3.d4!? is the recommendation and that's all I'm giving away for now.

Yep, Kindermann gave that move too and stopped there with a +/- verdict iirc. But we've discussed it here in several threads some years ago...

e.g:
http://www.chesspub.com/cgi-bin/yabb2/YaBB.pl?num=1098049385
http://www.chesspub.com/cgi-bin/yabb2/YaBB.pl?num=1231513487

Anyway, it will be interesting to see what case you can make of it in the book.

Btw, you can of course offer a draw after 3.e4 - but Black will just laugh and play on...

IP Logged

Lauri Torni

Si vis pacem, para bellum.

Reply #98 - 03/15/12 at 08:32:43
Post Tools
Hi BPaulsen!

Thanks for your comment. As you know, 3.d4 is also presented in the Dangerous Weapons as an alternative, I'm looking forward to seeing your contribution to it. And I'm really looking forward to seeing your book. 1.Nf3 has been my main weapon for a long time. It's a Dementor for many black players  Wink

1.Nf3! -  beat your opponent by killing his zest for life.

IP Logged

Bibs
God Member

Reply #97 - 03/15/12 at 07:07:41
Post Tools
Reference for Nc3/f4, Nc6/f5:
You may like to look at Keilhack's Knight on the Left Nc3 if you haven't already.
The only source I know covering such escapades.
KOTL a terrific text anyhow.
Really look forward to seeing your book.

IP Logged

BPaulsen
God Member

I Love Light Squares!

Reply #96 - 03/15/12 at 02:02:17
Post Tools
Lauri Torni wrote on 03/13/12 at 21:04:08:
What have you planned against 1.Nf3 f5 2.d3 Nc6? It is recommended in the "Dangerous weapons: the Dutch", and black has scored very well with it.

Best may well be 3.e4 d5 4.d4!? transposing to the Vienna  Grin

2...Nc6 is the main line I cite. 3.e4 isn't best, not even close, not even in the same ballpark. White may as well just offer a draw after 2.d3 if 3.e4 were best.

3.d4!? is the recommendation and that's all I'm giving away for now. The vast majority of the games in that position occur with colors reversed (if people care to start researching it now - even then most of the analysis will be original), and I'm of the opinion it's a poor Bird's Opening black is playing (1.f4/2.Nc3 being very strange bedfellows), and that the "extra tempo" is detrimental. I've discussed the position with players I've done work as a second before, and they've never been fond of black's cause either.

Does that mean I expect 2.d3 to refute the Dutch? Hell no. Do I think I will still be able to pose very real problems? Absolutely. Perhaps most surprisingly to some on here might be this - do I think it's an inferior try for an advantage compared to the main line Leningrad? No, and I say that having poured through the theory exhaustively.

And yes - I still realize 2.d3 looks like a gimmick. Frankly speaking the move offends me at first sight because I much prefer battling it out in critical variations in well traveled main lines that represent principled play - but as I intend to show, it works, should be taken very seriously, and is worth using for 1.Nf3 players. For people concerned the book will be full of gimmicks I will stop that idea here - it's the only one in the entire book that qualifies as such. The rest of the book, in all likelihood, will be criticized, if anything, for being too theoretical.

Given when GM A. Khalifman does his next OFWAK update it will probably cover all of the main line Leningrad, people could just use that instead. It will not be the end of the world.

By the way, I love your signature.

@Eric the Red

That idea has already had preliminary discussions, especially after all the QID discoveries I've shown John Emms. Depending on how the first book goes I would very much want to do a pro-black book, and boy would it be easier.

2288 USCF, 2186 FIDE.

FIDE based on just 27 games.
YIMAIM  
IP Logged

Lauri Torni

Reply #95 - 03/14/12 at 16:21:49
Post Tools
TalJechin wrote on 03/14/12 at 13:32:53:
Lauri Torni wrote on 03/14/12 at 12:26:54:
TalJechin wrote on 03/14/12 at 09:51:31:
Gilchrist is a legend wrote on 03/13/12 at 21:56:04:
Does not 4. e4 lose the pawn with 4...f/dxe4?

typo, he means e5 not d5

Personally I'm fine with playing black and suddenly be white in a KG or Vienna. Smiley 

But maybe the rep will go for a g3-setup instead of e4? At least that would be less demanding for the white players.

But that is not very challenging approach....
I really would like to make 2.d3 work   Cry

If the point is to play d2-d3-d4 I fail to understand the logic of how this tempo loss could be a theoretically challenging approach.

But as a surprise weapon it no doubt has some sting, given that white is very good at tactics and understands when & how to sacrifice to keep the initiative going.

Yes. That's why I'd like to know if BPalsen has something new for white that gives hopes for an edge.

IP Logged

TalJechin
God Member

Reply #94 - 03/14/12 at 13:32:53
Post Tools
Lauri Torni wrote on 03/14/12 at 12:26:54:

typo, he means e5 not d5

Personally I'm fine with playing black and suddenly be white in a KG or Vienna. Smiley 

But maybe the rep will go for a g3-setup instead of e4? At least that would be less demanding for the white players.

If the point is to play d2-d3-d4 I fail to understand the logic of how this tempo loss could be a theoretically challenging approach.

But as a surprise weapon it no doubt has some sting, given that white is very good at tactics and understands when & how to sacrifice to keep the initiative going.

IP Logged

Lauri Torni

Reply #93 - 03/14/12 at 12:26:54
Post Tools

typo, he means e5 not d5

IP Logged

TalJechin
God Member

Reply #92 - 03/14/12 at 09:51:31
Post Tools
[quote author=0058585052575858610 link=1324330989/91#91 date=1331675764]Does not 4. e4 lose the pawn with 4...f/dxe4?[/quote]

typo, he means e5 not d5

Personally I'm fine with playing black and suddenly be white in a KG or Vienna. :) 

IP Logged

Gilchrist is a legend
God Member

Reply #91 - 03/13/12 at 21:56:04
Post Tools

Creo lo que creo no importa lo que creen los demás.

IP Logged

Lauri Torni

Reply #90 - 03/13/12 at 21:04:08
Post Tools
What have you planned against 1.Nf3 f5 2.d3 Nc6? It is recommended in the "Dangerous weapons: the Dutch", and black has scored very well with it.

Best may well be 3.e4 d5 4.d4!? transposing to the Vienna  Grin

IP Logged

ErictheRed
God Member

USCF National Master

Reply #89 - 03/13/12 at 15:57:52
Post Tools
Hey Bryan, you should consider doing a Black repertoire book next.  I'd be interested in what you have to say about the Queen's Indian and how a Black Nimzo/QID player should combat the English.

IP Logged

BPaulsen
God Member

I Love Light Squares!

Reply #88 - 03/13/12 at 01:43:25
Post Tools
gewgaw wrote on 03/12/12 at 20:15:47:
It would be interesting to know, how much hours you spent in your book and which computer(s) you used.

Hours - I have no idea. I do know that I spent ~80 hours on just one variation...before rejecting it. That represented one extreme. The Queen's Indian English was a three week affair due to me finding black improvements in many areas. In fact, the number of black improvements I've stumbled across in general is pretty remarkable, and space-willing I'll get to fit all the really relevant ones in.

@Gilchrist is a legend:

If I were content to settle with less in many areas the book would actually be finished already.

It's not finished due to my stubborn belief that the purpose of this repertoire is leaving black with problems to solve. As such, it is about 50% finished, possibly more, but definitely not less.

2288 USCF, 2186 FIDE.

YIMAIM  
IP Logged

BPaulsen
God Member

I Love Light Squares!

Reply #87 - 03/13/12 at 01:32:15
Post Tools
Straggler wrote on 03/12/12 at 20:28:29:
Perhaps the real question is: how much of it will require a degree of positional understanding that (say) we 1800s just don't have? Despite being a big fan of Tony Kosten, for example,  Roll Eyes I never got on with his book on the English - not because I wasn't willing to work at it, but because in many lines I couldn't really see what White was trying to do. I believe Donaldson says something to the effect that you need to be around 2000 to use his repertoire book. Of course a book of positional lines can be highly educational, if it explains what's going on in a way that a patzer can understand. But are you trying to do this? Do you even have enough space to do it?

In technical openings/variations there is much greater latitude to explain what is going on in such a way class players can grasp it easily enough, because the elements of the position are clear (ie: black has an isolated pawn, white has a powerful blockade, etc.). That's true for technical, or perhaps more appropriately put static, positions.

Now, abstract advantages on the other hand...how does the writer of an opening repertoire book stress the value of a space advantage in a relatively fluid position without illustrative games? Or independent study from the student? Stating something like "and white is better due to his extra space" may be completely true, but will lower class players grasp this readily? No, they will have to study games in which they see an abstract advantage in a fluid position executed.

In short, the deeper aspects of positional play and understanding them won't be solved by any repertoire book, but rather by study of complete games and seeing the execution of an abstract advantage over an entire game. If the repertoire book does its job, then aside from giving the reader the ability to pose problems to the opponent, it will also lead them in a direction that gives them incentive to study complete games in the chosen lines where the white player executed his advantage to completion.

I am doing my absolute best at explaining what is going on and what the plans are, so much so that for space reasons I will skip over sidelines I consider irrelevant if it means putting in more explanations in places I feel it is necessary.

In truth, I am more concerned with readers being able to absorb the unwieldy Botvinnik Semi-Slav than the positional explanations.

In summary: it will be possible to learn some things about positional play and evaluation from this book, but it will not be a panacea to chess understanding. People that actively work on their middlegame will get more out of it than those limited to just studying openings.

2288 USCF, 2186 FIDE.

YIMAIM  
IP Logged

Straggler

Reply #86 - 03/12/12 at 20:28:29
Post Tools
BPaulsen wrote on 03/12/12 at 01:43:51:
I don't think the rating ranges are as pertinent as the reality that this book will be for ambitious players that are willing to put some work into their game. It's basically an attempt to throw down the gauntlet and make black's life as hard as possible everywhere - obviously some of the material will be easily digested by players as low as 1500 depending on the opening/variation, while masters and higher will find it easier on the whole.

Perhaps the real question is: how much of it will require a degree of positional understanding that (say) we 1800s just don't have? Despite being a big fan of Tony Kosten, for example,  Roll Eyes I never got on with his book on the English - not because I wasn't willing to work at it, but because in many lines I couldn't really see what White was trying to do. I believe Donaldson says something to the effect that you need to be around 2000 to use his repertoire book. Of course a book of positional lines can be highly educational, if it explains what's going on in a way that a patzer can understand. But are you trying to do this? Do you even have enough space to do it?

IP Logged

Gilchrist is a legend
God Member

Reply #85 - 03/12/12 at 20:26:08
Post Tools
I think it would be more interesting to know approximately when the book should be published. Smiley

Creo lo que creo no importa lo que creen los demás.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9 10 ... 14
Topic Tools
Bookmarks: del.icio.us Digg Facebook Google Google+ Linked in reddit StumbleUpon Twitter Yahoo