Latest Updates:
Very Hot Topic (More than 25 Replies) An interesting new chesspub member-authored book! (Read 116324 times)
BladezII

Member of chesspublishing
.com and STC Club

Re: An interesting new chesspub member-authored book!
Reply #204 - 06/26/17 at 18:24:33
Post Tools
So...  the book...  when and where ?

I am a participating member of chesspublishing.com since 1998.

IP Logged

TonyRo
God Member

I'm gonna crack your skull!

Reply #203 - 07/17/16 at 01:54:00
Post Tools
I keep telling people it's a pain in the ass, and no one believes me!  Grin

IP Logged

ErictheRed
God Member

USCF National Master

Reply #202 - 07/15/16 at 15:50:15
Post Tools
I don't think that many posters here realize the incredible amount of work and time it takes to write a book.  Especially one that is a "labor of love" from an amateur instead of one just pumped out to pay the bills.  It's a huge endeavor!

I'm reminded of Robert Farrar Capon in The Supper of the Lamb:

First, I am an amateur.  If that strikes you as disappointing, consider how much in error you are, and how the error is entirely of your own devising.  At its root lies an objection to cookbooks written by non-professionals... [sic] ...Amateur and nonprofessional are not synonyms.  The world may or may not need another cookbook, but it needs all the lovers--amateurs--it can get. [sic]

...the amateur--the lover, the man who thinks heedlessness a sin and boredom a heresy--is just the man you need.  More than that, whether you think you need him or not, he is a man who is bound, by his love, to speak.

Off topic perhaps, and I'm ascribing my own thoughts to Bryan Paulsen's work, but a book like this is a labor of love that demands the best of an author, and the workload is huge.  Be patient!

IP Logged

GabrielGale

Who was Thursday?

Reply #201 - 07/04/16 at 07:29:44
Post Tools
ghenghisclown wrote on 02/16/16 at 06:14:14:
December 2016

Has anyone any newer information on the book? I tried looking at the Everyman's site but I could not find their "forthcoming titles" or something similar.

http://www.toutautre.blogspot.com/
A Year With Nessie ...... aka GM John Shaw's The King's Gambit (http://thekinggambit.blogspot.com.au/)

IP Logged

ghenghisclown
God Member

Pedicare Vestri Latin

Reply #200 - 02/16/16 at 06:14:14
Post Tools
December 2016

"Experience is a dim lamp, which only lights the one who bears it."

IP Logged

RoleyPoley
God Member

I Love ChessPublishing!

Reply #199 - 01/02/16 at 13:19:36
Post Tools
BPaulsen wrote on 01/02/16 at 06:14:44:
The sort of lines I tend to choose are those that might go in and out of fashion, but are not the sort that will ever lose relevance.

I don't think we had any disagreements in anything in the time we got to work together. Some fruitful work was done in things we considered adding, but had to dismiss.

Tony's a great guy. Losing him from the project is a great blow, no doubt about it, but part of why I esteem him so highly is because he has his priorities in order and no doubt he has chosen to do what is best.

The search for a co-author goes on.

TonyRo wrote on 12/30/15 at 16:52:35:
Nothing like that. Bryan and I got along great, no tension at all. Overall I think we also very much agreed on the lines that we wanted in the book.

The main thing is that I just really struggled for time, and I underestimated how long it would take me to finish. I worked on the project for a month or so, and when I looked at what I had finished, it was not nearly as much as I wanted. And at the pace I was going, it simply would have been an unacceptably long period of time to completion. And that's not fair to anyone involved, so I didn't want to string along Bryan/Everyman.

As far as I know they were going to find Play 1.Nf3 another coauthor, so don't worry as of yet!

Hi Guys,

Thanks for explaining. I didnt mean to suggest you had a falling out or anything, apologies if that is how my post reads. I was just thinking that in an earlier post it had been mentioned that Brian was seeking an edge in all lines, and given the passage of time since this task was started, some of those lines may have now needed updating again (which may in turn may have created other difficulties in the repertoire).

"As Mikhail Tal would say ' Let's have a bit of hooliganism! '"

Victor Bologan.

IP Logged

BPaulsen
God Member

I Love Light Squares!

Reply #198 - 01/02/16 at 06:14:44
Post Tools
RoleyPoley wrote on 12/30/15 at 10:23:58:
GabrielGale wrote on 12/29/15 at 20:31:21:
Just read on QC blog that TonyRo, replying to a query, has announced he is no longer involved in this project. http://www.qualitychess.co.uk/blog/4201#comment-293251 Perhaps Tony can elaborate? And any further info on the project as a whole? Thanks.
Quote:
Bad news – I had to drop off the “Play 1.Nf3” project. I thought finishing it up would be quite a bit quicker than it was. Bryan had a very large majority done, but even so, once I decided to put my name on something, I felt the need to check everything, etc. I simply didn’t think I could finish it up in as timely a matter as Bryan deserved.

I'm wondering from that if some of the lines Brian had put together had now lost their edge and a more serious re-write is needed, or there was a strong disagreement in one of the lines. Does seem a bit odd that two seriously hard working writers who appear to get on with each other, are unable to finish the project.

The sort of lines I tend to choose are those that might go in and out of fashion, but are not the sort that will ever lose relevance.

I don't think we had any disagreements in anything in the time we got to work together. Some fruitful work was done in things we considered adding, but had to dismiss.

Tony's a great guy. Losing him from the project is a great blow, no doubt about it, but part of why I esteem him so highly is because he has his priorities in order and no doubt he has chosen to do what is best.

The search for a co-author goes on.

2288 USCF, 2186 FIDE.

FIDE based on just 27 games.
YIMAIM  
IP Logged

TonyRo
God Member

Reply #197 - 12/30/15 at 16:52:35
Post Tools
Nothing like that. Bryan and I got along great, no tension at all. Overall I think we also very much agreed on the lines that we wanted in the book.

The main thing is that I just really struggled for time, and I underestimated how long it would take me to finish. I worked on the project for a month or so, and when I looked at what I had finished, it was not nearly as much as I wanted. And at the pace I was going, it simply would have been an unacceptably long period of time to completion. And that's not fair to anyone involved, so I didn't want to string along Bryan/Everyman.

As far as I know they were going to find Play 1.Nf3 another coauthor, so don't worry as of yet!

IP Logged

RoleyPoley
God Member

I Love ChessPublishing!

Reply #196 - 12/30/15 at 10:23:58
Post Tools
GabrielGale wrote on 12/29/15 at 20:31:21:
Just read on QC blog that TonyRo, replying to a query, has announced he is no longer involved in this project. http://www.qualitychess.co.uk/blog/4201#comment-293251 Perhaps Tony can elaborate? And any further info on the project as a whole? Thanks.
Quote:
Bad news – I had to drop off the “Play 1.Nf3” project. I thought finishing it up would be quite a bit quicker than it was. Bryan had a very large majority done, but even so, once I decided to put my name on something, I felt the need to check everything, etc. I simply didn’t think I could finish it up in as timely a matter as Bryan deserved.

I'm wondering from that if some of the lines Brian had put together had now lost their edge and a more serious re-write is needed, or there was a strong disagreement in one of the lines. Does seem a bit odd that two seriously hard working writers who appear to get on with each other, are unable to finish the project.

"As Mikhail Tal would say ' Let's have a bit of hooliganism! '"

Victor Bologan.

IP Logged

LostTactic

I Love ChessPublishing!

Reply #195 - 12/29/15 at 23:07:11
Post Tools
Perhaps IM Christof Sielecki could do it? From viewing his blitz games, he plays 1.Nf3 a lot and seems to know what he's doing. That's unless another author has already been lined up? IM John Bartholomew is another Youtuber that plays 1.Nf3 a lot as well, I don't think he's written a book before though.

IP Logged

GabrielGale

Who was Thursday?

Reply #194 - 12/29/15 at 20:31:21
Post Tools
Quote:

A Year With Nessie ...... aka GM John Shaw's The King's Gambit (http://thekinggambit.blogspot.com.au/)

IP Logged

BladezII

.com and STC Club

Reply #193 - 12/12/15 at 16:30:24
Post Tools
Is this still coming from Everyman chess ?

IP Logged

codekiddy
YaBB Newbies

I Love ChessPublishing!

Reply #192 - 11/09/15 at 12:12:25
Post Tools
So many books in one place, added to my bookmarks.

I wish the Game collections section on the page would also provide PGN format  Grin

IP Logged

ghenghisclown
God Member

Pedicare Vestri Latin

Reply #191 - 10/19/15 at 07:49:53
Post Tools
Let's not forget the Double Fianchetto Maroczy Bind.

IP Logged

GabrielGale

Who was Thursday?

Reply #190 - 10/03/15 at 07:48:21
Post Tools
Thanks Tony for the prompt reply. Really, really interested now as Khalifman/Kramnik was original inspiration.
Good that BPaulsen is sticking to the original idea. Will go back and read the previous posts Edited:
Quote:
Part 1: The Dark-Squared Defenses
Chapter 1: Anglo-Grunfeld Defense (5.Qb3)
Chapter 2: King's Indian Defense (7.d5, Petrosian Variation)
Chapter 3: Old-Indian Defense (5.Be2, Classical Variation)
Chapter 4: Modern Defense (in particular, for the Pirc move order of 1...g6/2...d6, 4.Bd3)
Chapter 5: Two Knights' Tango (4.a3, with a very rare recommendation following in the main line)

Part 2: The Light-Squared Defenses
Chapter 1: Double Fianchetto Defense (main line)
Chapter 2: Hedgehog Defense (7.Re1 against 6...d6/6...a6, 7.d4 against 6...Be7)
Chapter 3: Anglo-Queen's Indian Defense (7.Re1)
Chapter 4: Dutch Defense (main lines, with a brief explanation of why I didn't find 2.d3 particularly appealing - darn that 2...Nc6!)
Chapter 5: Romanishin's Defense (main line)

Part 3: The Symmetrical English
Chapter 1: The Maroczy Bind (main line)
Chapter 2: 2...Nc6 without ...Nf6 (3.Nc3)
Chapter 3: 2...Nf6 without ...Nc6/with ...d5 (5.d4)
Chapter 4: The Symmetrical English 4 Knights (main lines)
Chapter 5: Miscellaneous (1...b6/a6/b5/h6)

Part 4: The Queen's Pawn Defenses
Chapter 1: The Queen's Gambit Accepted (7.dxc5, sadly)
Chapter 2: The Slav Defense (The Slow Slav, 4.Nbd2 against the Noteboom and 5.Nbd2 against the Semi-Slav - I had no interest in entertaining the Meran or anti-Meran, 4...a6 5.Bd3 Bg4 6.h3 for the Chebanenko, 4...g6 sees Bd3 over Be2).
Chapter 3: The Tarrasch Defense (9.dxc5 Bxc5 10.a3)
Chapter 4: The Catalan Opening (too long to list, but I differ from existing sources in some areas and tend to agree with them in the lesser variations)
Chapter 5: Rare Queen's Pawn Defenses (Symmetrical Defense sees 3.c4, Chigorin goes down the main line with 4.cxd5, Baltic Defense goes down the main lines)

I remember when I first got into this Forum and was introduced to opening books. The majority of opening books highly recommended were by the very enthusiasts of the opening. I remember I bought Rogozenko's Sveshnikov, Rowson's Grunfeld, Greet's Ruy Lopez, Vigus' Pirc, Khalifman's Kramnik based on recommendations on the Forum, even though they were above my head. But the commonality amongst these books is that very enthusiasm/passion. I have added Ntirlis' Tarrasch and French, and Shaw's KG. Now, I added recently, Rotella's Sicilian (the preface by Shabalov encapsulate exactly what I am saying).
In 2016, I have to get this Paulsen/Rotella 1 Nf3 to add to this collection.
Hmmmm, I might even get Kotronias' KID series but will probably only finish it when I an 90 yo! Grin
Also on the wish list is Smerdon's Scandinavian.
Sorry for the digression, but anticipation ran away with me. Smiley

IP Logged

TonyRo
God Member

Reply #189 - 10/03/15 at 03:43:10
Post Tools
GabrielGale wrote on 10/03/15 at 02:02:05:
The overall "opening philosophy"...

I'd say this veers further away from Wojo and quite a bit closer to Kramnik. In the Wojo books, Hilton very much focused on the Fianchetto approaches to nearly everything, and in a lot of variations was choosing ideas that Wojo liked instead of ones that were the theoretically most testing. The Kramnik books didn't have a theme per se, it's more about using 1.Nf3 to transpose to 1.d4 lines while avoiding certain lines. And within those lines, it was always about searching for that edge. There's also less g3+Bg2. No Fianchetto KID or Grunfeld, or g3 in the Slav.

I think I remembered BPaulsen saying it was a variation-trees-based book. Is that remaining the same? Will there be explanations similar in extent to your Sicilian book?

It will be the tree format - I think it's just strictly superior to complete games for opening books. Instructive fragments and game quotations have their place, but I find the complete games format to be organizationally more confusing and something of a space-waster. Bryan has already given very insightful commentary on all of his analysis. He has an elegant writing style - no space is wasted, he's straight to the point, and his analysis is very tight and well organized. I am sure with me finishing and checking everything that I'll gum it up a bit though! Close to what my book looks like, perhaps slightly more succinct (that's probably a good thing).

Are you able to say something about the repertoire itself? e.g. vs 1…c5, 1…d5 (QGD, Slav, Semi-Slav), 1…Nf6 (KID, Grunfeld, Bogo-Indian) et al?

It is basically still the same as what Bryan wrote a few pages ago. Catalan, Slow Slav, 7.dxc5 QGA, standard Hedgehog stuff, Anti-Grunfeld, etc. We are debating the KID recommendation and some ideas in the English right now. Nothing is set in stone, but Bryan has done a huge amount of work already. The amount of analysis that's still needed is relatively tiny compared to what he's already amassed. He's done a great job, and I'm really just coming in to walk this one across the finish line because he's busy!

At what level do you think the repertoire is pitched at? in terms of (a) opening itself? (b) the lines and variations? c) explanations (textual)?

I don't think this is going to be a book that lower-rated club players are going to want to pick up. Perhaps this is a book for an ambitious 1800 and up. A lot of the lines are stylistically aligned with Bryan's taste, which is very close to the Kramnik repertoire/style in a majority of lines. The Catalan, Hedgehog, Maroczy, etc, require a good positional sense and a love for nurturing those small, torturous edges and slowly improving your position. I absolutely love that kind of chess, so I'm sure that Bryan and I will have no problems working together!

But overall, BPaulsen could give you a better idea on the specifics - this is his baby, I'm just here to help!  Grin

IP Logged

GabrielGale

Who was Thursday?

Reply #188 - 10/03/15 at 02:02:05
Post Tools
Thanks Tony for the update. Can you provide some info on the following:
1) the overall "opening philosophy", i.e., Khalifman's Kramnik series was 1 Nf3 transposing into a QGD, mainline KID etc in 1ed and then into a Catalan in 2 ed.
Hilton's Wojo's Weapons was also Catalan and fianchetto KID
OR is there one? Or not - mixture of lines and variations?

2) I think I remembered BPaulsen saying it was a variation-trees-based book. Is that remaining the same? Will there be explanations similar in extent to your Sicilian book?

3) Are you able to say something about the repertoire itself? e.g. vs 1…c5, 1…d5 (QGD, Slav, Semi-Slav), 1…Nf6 (KID, Grunfeld, Bogo-Indian) et al?

4) At what level do you think the repertoire is pitched at? in terms of (a) opening itself? (b) the lines and variations? c) explanations (textual)?

Thanks as usual. Your replies much appreciated.

IP Logged

TonyRo
God Member

Reply #187 - 10/02/15 at 13:31:01
Post Tools
GabrielGale wrote on 10/01/15 at 23:18:23:
That is great news.

LostTactic wrote on 10/01/15 at 23:22:53:
Great news, I feared this project had died.

Bibs wrote on 10/02/15 at 05:40:35:
Great news. Two people whose ideas and analyses I have much respect for hereabouts. Muchly looking forward to this.

Thanks guys!

GabrielGale wrote on 10/01/15 at 23:18:23:
BTW, off-topic just a quick note, managed finally to get hold of a copy of your Sicilian book and on first glance , really good!! Almost tempt me into playing 1..c5!

Thanks so much, really appreciate it! Give in to the dark side!  Grin

Bibs wrote on 10/02/15 at 05:40:35:
Yeah, Tony, dates please!

LostTactic wrote on 10/01/15 at 23:22:53:
Tony can you give a rough estimation about when the book might be completed? Early 2016, spring 2016, summer 2016 or later? Thanks.

Too early to say at the moment, but the reality is that even if I turned in a final manuscript today, the book wouldn't be out for another 3 months in all likelihood. Editing, typesetting, final review, printing, shipping, etc. So I'd say realistically you're looking @ Spring/Summer 2016.

IP Logged

Bibs
God Member

Reply #186 - 10/02/15 at 05:40:35
Post Tools
Great news. Two people whose ideas and analyses I have much respect for hereabouts. Muchly looking forward to this.
Yeah, Tony, dates please!

IP Logged

LostTactic

I Love ChessPublishing!

Reply #185 - 10/01/15 at 23:22:53
Post Tools
Great news, I feared this project had died.

Tony can you give a rough estimation about when the book might be completed? Early 2016, spring 2016, summer 2016 or later? Thanks.

IP Logged

GabrielGale

Who was Thursday?

Reply #184 - 10/01/15 at 23:18:23
Post Tools
That is great news. I have been looking forward to this since the project was announced. Will probably get back to 1 Nf3 once I got my feet wet in 1 e4 Open games.

BTW, off-topic just a quick note, managed finally to get hold of a copy of your Sicilian book and on first glance , really good!! Almost tempt me into playing 1..c5!

IP Logged

TonyRo
God Member

Reply #183 - 10/01/15 at 13:55:09
Post Tools
BPaulsen wrote on 08/14/15 at 16:47:05:
The only news is that a co-author will likely be added to finish the project. I have had too little time to dedicate to it for the last several months, hence the necessity.

This is me, by the way. Will know more once I really delve into the project (so far I am just getting my feet wet), but I have Bryan's work so far and it is, as one would expect, quite excellent. I'm excited to get this one out there, I think people will really like it.

Grin

IP Logged

Glenn Snow
God Member

Reply #182 - 08/14/15 at 20:52:34
Post Tools
I couldn't help but buy a TonyRo/BPaulsen book.  Or perhaps that should read, "a BPaulsen/TonyRo book.

IP Logged

BPaulsen
God Member

I Love Light Squares!

Reply #181 - 08/14/15 at 17:07:39
Post Tools
Check your messages.

2288 USCF, 2186 FIDE.

YIMAIM  
IP Logged

TonyRo
God Member

Reply #180 - 08/14/15 at 17:03:22
Post Tools
Bring in TonyRo!  Grin

IP Logged

BPaulsen
God Member

I Love Light Squares!

Reply #179 - 08/14/15 at 16:47:05
Post Tools
The only news is that a co-author will likely be added to finish the project. I have had too little time to dedicate to it for the last several months, hence the necessity.

2288 USCF, 2186 FIDE.

YIMAIM  
IP Logged

ghenghisclown
God Member

Pedicare Vestri Latin

Reply #178 - 08/12/15 at 08:33:04
Post Tools
Good point.

IP Logged

Glenn Snow
God Member

Reply #177 - 08/07/15 at 13:56:10
Post Tools
ghenghisclown wrote on 08/06/15 at 07:30:25:
No news? let me guess, it'll be finished when it's finished.

Yes, but will everyone be playing Chess960 by then?

IP Logged

ghenghisclown
God Member

Pedicare Vestri Latin

Reply #176 - 08/06/15 at 07:30:25
Post Tools
No news? let me guess, it'll be finished when it's finished.

IP Logged

LostTactic

I Love ChessPublishing!

Reply #175 - 07/07/15 at 16:20:56
Post Tools
@BPaulsen can you give any updates on when you think your book will be published?

From the comments above I'm guessing a 2016 publication is most likely, however, could you say whether it's likely to be: spring, summer or winter next year?

Thanks!

IP Logged

Alias
God Member

Reply #174 - 06/10/15 at 15:02:21
Post Tools
There is a publication schedule on the Everyman website up to Oct 2015. The book is not included there.

Don't check me with no lightweight stuff.

IP Logged

wolfsblut

I Love ChessPublishing!

Reply #173 - 06/10/15 at 13:28:52
Post Tools
Straggler wrote on 06/10/15 at 09:57:14:
The Everyman website now gives a UK publication date of 31 July (31 Aug for US). Does anyone here know whether this is realistic? (Well, obviously someone does...) I hope so.

Niggeman says 1.3.2016...so I don't think it is realistic. Sad

IP Logged

Sauron

Si vis pacem, para bellum.

Reply #172 - 06/10/15 at 11:54:12
Post Tools
Straggler wrote on 06/10/15 at 09:57:14:
The Everyman website now gives a UK publication date of 31 July (31 Aug for US). Does anyone here know whether this is realistic? (Well, obviously someone does...) I hope so.

I Could not find this.

1.Nf3! -  beat your opponent by killing his zest for life.

IP Logged

Straggler

I Love ChessPublishing!

Reply #171 - 06/10/15 at 09:57:14
Post Tools

IP Logged

Sauron

Reply #170 - 03/18/15 at 08:12:48
Post Tools
Looking forward to this book. Any news?

IP Logged

BladezII

.com and STC Club

Reply #169 - 02/02/15 at 20:49:47
Post Tools
TonyRo wrote on 01/30/15 at 05:47:11:
Wrong guy to ask of course, but I'm going to go ahead and guess it's closer to double your estimate or more. It took my book 5 months or a bit more to make it through waiting for an editor, editing, typesetting, printing, and shipping to the States. And I'm going to guess Bryan isn't done with the analysis and the second phase of making everything look pretty. This is an ambitious project, and I know how those go. Much respect to Bryan for cramming a White repertoire into one book like this. I eagerly await it's publication as well.

Again, thank you.

IP Logged

TonyRo
God Member

Reply #168 - 01/30/15 at 05:47:11
Post Tools
Wrong guy to ask of course, but I'm going to go ahead and guess it's closer to double your estimate or more. It took my book 5 months or a bit more to make it through waiting for an editor, editing, typesetting, printing, and shipping to the States. And I'm going to guess Bryan isn't done with the analysis and the second phase of making everything look pretty. This is an ambitious project, and I know how those go. Much respect to Bryan for cramming a White repertoire into one book like this. I eagerly await it's publication as well.

IP Logged

BladezII

.com and STC Club

Reply #167 - 01/30/15 at 05:00:12
Post Tools
TonyRo wrote on 01/30/15 at 04:55:14:
BladezII wrote on 01/30/15 at 04:52:36:
The website everymanchess.com  is out.   Does anyone know if it still works ?  Are they still in business ? 

They posted on Facebook that it's down because of a server switch.

Tony, thank you.    What's new with this book's ETA ?  3-4 months ?

IP Logged

TonyRo
God Member

Reply #166 - 01/30/15 at 04:55:14
Post Tools
BladezII wrote on 01/30/15 at 04:52:36:
The website everymanchess.com  is out.   Does anyone know if it still works ?  Are they still in business ? 

They posted on Facebook that it's down because of a server switch.

IP Logged

BladezII

.com and STC Club

Reply #165 - 01/30/15 at 04:52:36
Post Tools
BPaulsen wrote on 12/19/14 at 00:40:05:
It is good to know, but unsurprising. The project was announced too long ago for there to still be nothing in print at this point. I am not surprised.

What's new with this book's ETA ?

IP Logged

Sauron

Reply #164 - 01/01/15 at 21:17:22
Post Tools
Waiting eagerly! Smiley

IP Logged

BPaulsen
God Member

I Love Light Squares!

Reply #163 - 12/19/14 at 00:40:05
Post Tools
It is good to know, but unsurprising. The project was announced too long ago for there to still be nothing in print at this point. I am not surprised.

2288 USCF, 2186 FIDE.

YIMAIM  
IP Logged

WSS

I Love ChessPublishing!

Reply #162 - 12/15/14 at 21:12:09
Post Tools
Amazon sent me an email canceling my pre-order of your book and the reason given was:

"Due to a lack of availability, we will not be able to obtain the following item(s) from your order:

Paulsen, Bryan "Play 1 Nf3: A Complete Opening Repertoire for White"

We've canceled the item(s) and apologize for the inconvenience. We must also apologize for the length of time it has taken us to reach this conclusion.

If you are still interested in purchasing this item, it may be available from other sellers."

They had previously asked if I wanted to cancel my pre-order (and I said "no".)  This time they didn't give me a choice.  Of course I still plan to buy it when it becomes available but I thought you should know.

IP Logged

tony37
God Member

I Love ChessPublishing!

Reply #161 - 12/11/14 at 19:55:55
Post Tools
Kramnik says some interesting things about the King's Indian

IP Logged

TonyRo
God Member

Reply #160 - 12/11/14 at 19:08:19
Post Tools
It's certainly worth taking a look at if you want to know what happens when you give a 2760 GM Rook and Knight odds.

Grin Cheesy Wink

IP Logged

LostTactic

I Love ChessPublishing!

Reply #159 - 12/11/14 at 16:18:52
Post Tools
Petrosian King's Indian in Kramnik-Nakamura rnd 2 of the London Chess Classic today, might be worth taking a look at.

IP Logged

HgMan
God Member

Demand me nothing: What
you know, you know

Reply #158 - 12/01/14 at 20:02:33
Post Tools
Excellent! I assumed 192 pages was an impossibility, but it's good to have that suspicion confirmed.

"Luck favours the prepared mind."  --Louis Pasteur

IP Logged

BPaulsen
God Member

I Love Light Squares!

Reply #157 - 12/01/14 at 17:20:21
Post Tools
@WSS: I look forward to reflecting on this experience after it is over. @HgMan: It is a physical impossibility for this book to be just 192 pages. There is simply too much I cover, and there is way more material than the Semi-Slav book I wrote, which was entirely based on discarded research material meant for "Play 1.Nf3!". @TonyRo: I am trying for brevity, hitting all of the important points (lines frequently played, having some theoretical importance, or some key idea in mind) and cutting out as much fluff (rare, dubious, or poor continuations) as possible. If I can keep the book to ~400 pages at most I would take that as a tremendous win. If readers cannot get a good grasp of this repertoire in around that many pages it will be of little use to anyone.

2288 USCF, 2186 FIDE.

YIMAIM  
IP Logged

TonyRo
God Member

Reply #156 - 12/01/14 at 15:40:28
Post Tools
I don't want to speak for BPaulsen, but I doubt there's any way that's possible - I think 192 is just a standard page number Everyman throws on the website until typesetting is finished. Mine was listed at 192 as well until typesetting was completed, and then...464 pages.

Unless Bryan has a gift for extreme brevity, I can't imagine this book hits shelves at under 450 pages, possibly 500+, but that's just a guess.

Grin

IP Logged

HgMan
God Member

Demand me nothing: What
you know, you know

Reply #155 - 12/01/14 at 14:35:54
Post Tools
The press lists 192 pages for the book. Has that changed?

"Luck favours the prepared mind."  --Louis Pasteur

IP Logged

TonyRo
God Member

Reply #154 - 12/01/14 at 14:25:27
Post Tools
Looks great! I can't imagine this book will be small. My initial impression as I scanned the contents was that it looked a ton of work, and that the book would be huge. Then I saw Part 4: Chapter 4 and realized it would be a very cumbersome book indeed!

Cheesy

IP Logged

WSS

I Love ChessPublishing!

Reply #153 - 12/01/14 at 01:24:59
Post Tools
BPaulsen wrote on 11/28/14 at 19:30:10:
Thanks for the question.

As of right now I am reworking the section on the Modern Defense, but everything else is mostly done as far as analysis goes. All that's left is explaining the ideas in the positions and/or showing why I did not choose alternatives at important junctions. This will take some time, unfortunately, due to my day job taking up so much of my time.

The recommendations will be, in the order I have placed the chapters, with the important choice(s) for White in parenthesis.

Chapter 4: Modern Defense (in particular, for the Pirc move order of 1...g6/2...d6, 4.Bd3)
Chapter 5: Two Knights' Tango (4.a3, with a very rare recommendation following in the main line)

Chapter 4: Dutch Defense (main lines, with a brief explanation of why I didn't find 2.d3 particularly appealing - darn that 2...Nc6!)

Chapter 2: The Slav Defense (The Slow Slav, 4.Nbd2 against the Noteboom and 5.Nbd2 against the Semi-Slav - I had no interest in entertaining the Meran or anti-Meran, 4...a6 5.Bd3 Bg4 6.h3 for the Chebanenko, 4...g6 sees Bd3 over Be2).
Chapter 4: The Catalan Opening (too long to list, but I differ from existing sources in some areas and tend to agree with them in the lesser variations)
Chapter 5: Rare Queen's Pawn Defenses (Symmetrical Defense sees 3.c4, Chigorin goes down the main line with 4.cxd5, Baltic Defense goes down the main lines)

For any recommendation that someone may feel is tepid I make my case in the book by process of elimination, ie: I list off why the more "ambitious" tries have problems. The goal, as finding += in every critical line of every major opening is close to impossible these days, is to simply find positions from which White has something to play for in the ensuing middlegame/endgame.

The book could either be called strategical or boring depending on tastes. Sharp play is not the norm, but exceptions tend to exist in the Catalan.

I can certainly appreciate how much work you have done and are doing to complete this full repertoire.  I've got it pre-ordered and I'm eagerly awaiting the day it shows up in my mailbox!

The symmetrical English lines are the ones I find to be least appealing in my own attempts at 1.Nf3 so I look forward to your ideas.

When you have time to reflect on the writing experience, I wonder how eager you will be to write another book?  Wink

IP Logged

BPaulsen
God Member

I Love Light Squares!

Reply #152 - 11/28/14 at 19:58:14
Post Tools
LostTactic wrote on 11/28/14 at 15:46:10:
TonyRo wrote on 11/24/14 at 04:54:34:
BPaulsen,

Any news on the book, i.e. expected release date, repertoire choices, etc? Thanks, looking forward to reading it!

Wink

+1

This and Avrukh's Catalan book are what I'm looking forward to the most for next year.

I'm also hoping someone will do a Nimzo/QGD type repertoire as well. I think it's a scandal the Nimzo-Indian & QGD haven't been covered by either Quality Chess or Chess Stars. I can only assume they can't find any authors willing to take up the challenge because it's a very common repertoire at club level so would be a good seller no doubt.

You will probably not see a repertoire book covering the NID/QGD from the White side any time soon. It was amazing that Khalifman tried it, but the reason is simple: openings that tend to have multiple potential equalizers quite often have one very clear path to equality, and this makes for a recommendation not suited to a repertoire. White repertoire books are supposed to aim for an advantage, no matter how abstract that advantage often is (ie: the Slow Slav over the main line Slav).

You're far more likely to get recommendations/ form a repertoire for White in those openings from a book that does a general overview of the options available to both sides. Unfortunately general overview books are either very focused on a particular variation (ie: the Semi-Slav with 5.Bg5), or so broad that nobody wants to write them.

2288 USCF, 2186 FIDE.

YIMAIM  
IP Logged

BPaulsen
God Member

I Love Light Squares!

Reply #151 - 11/28/14 at 19:30:10
Post Tools
Thanks for the question.

As of right now I am reworking the section on the Modern Defense, but everything else is mostly done as far as analysis goes. All that's left is explaining the ideas in the positions and/or showing why I did not choose alternatives at important junctions. This will take some time, unfortunately, due to my day job taking up so much of my time.

The recommendations will be, in the order I have placed the chapters, with the important choice(s) for White in parenthesis.

For any recommendation that someone may feel is tepid I make my case in the book by process of elimination, ie: I list off why the more "ambitious" tries have problems. The goal, as finding += in every critical line of every major opening is close to impossible these days, is to simply find positions from which White has something to play for in the ensuing middlegame/endgame.

The book could either be called strategical or boring depending on tastes. Sharp play is not the norm, but exceptions tend to exist in the Catalan.

2288 USCF, 2186 FIDE.

YIMAIM  
IP Logged

LostTactic

I Love ChessPublishing!

Reply #150 - 11/28/14 at 15:46:10
Post Tools
TonyRo wrote on 11/24/14 at 04:54:34:
BPaulsen,

Any news on the book, i.e. expected release date, repertoire choices, etc? Thanks, looking forward to reading it!

Wink

+1

This and Avrukh's Catalan book are what I'm looking forward to the most for next year.

I'm also hoping someone will do a Nimzo/QGD type repertoire as well. I think it's a scandal the Nimzo-Indian & QGD haven't been covered by either Quality Chess or Chess Stars. I can only assume they can't find any authors willing to take up the challenge because it's a very common repertoire at club level so would be a good seller no doubt.

IP Logged

TonyRo
God Member

Reply #149 - 11/24/14 at 04:54:34
Post Tools
BPaulsen,

Wink

IP Logged

kylemeister
God Member

Reply #148 - 12/04/13 at 15:55:25
Post Tools
I'm reminded again of something Short wrote recently, approximately "The biggest fallacy in chess is the quasi-religious belief in the primacy of the opening."

IP Logged

WSS

I Love ChessPublishing!

Reply #147 - 12/04/13 at 15:38:27
Post Tools
BPaulsen wrote on 12/04/13 at 08:47:19:
TonyRo wrote on 12/04/13 at 02:34:39:
I find this to be the most frustrating part of opening analysis these days - it messes with me psychologically. I regularly hop between variations for White because it's so hard to find +=. Of course, I eventually find = in the new variations too, which causes me to switch again, and so on.

The story of my chess life in a nutshell.

I appreciate all the work you authors put into your books.  My own philosophy is to play lines that pose problems for my opponent and that I find interesting to play (and have some understanding or "feel" for) even if they might ultimately be evaluated as equal by a theoretician.  I've found Magnus Carlsen's success to be somewhat "freeing" for me as an inspiration to not invest the huge amount of time with diminishing returns to eke out the tiniest of additional opening advantage.  In fact, if I spent that same incremental time on improving my endgame play I'd get more return in the long run.  Wink

IP Logged

BPaulsen
God Member

I Love Light Squares!

Reply #146 - 12/04/13 at 08:47:19
Post Tools
TonyRo wrote on 12/04/13 at 02:34:39:
I find this to be the most frustrating part of opening analysis these days - it messes with me psychologically. I regularly hop between variations for White because it's so hard to find +=. Of course, I eventually find = in the new variations too, which causes me to switch again, and so on.

The story of my chess life in a nutshell.

2288 USCF, 2186 FIDE.

YIMAIM  
IP Logged

TonyRo
God Member

Reply #145 - 12/04/13 at 02:34:39
Post Tools

IP Logged

BPaulsen
God Member

I Love Light Squares!

Reply #144 - 12/04/13 at 01:27:33
Post Tools
Ametanoitos wrote on 12/03/13 at 07:36:32:
The Semi-Slav book looks great. We like to see "Play 1.Nf3" soon! Hope you have the time to finish it quickly and not be taken aback by perfectionism.  Smiley

If it weren't for my attempts to squeeze blood from turnips "Play 1.Nf3!" would have been done a long time ago. Perfectionism started out as the goal, getting += in everything. It's just not possible, but making life unpleasant isn't impossible. Admittedly, even that much can be hard to come by in some variations...

I definitely understand why it is so much more popular to recommend openings from Black's perspective after this experience. Equalizing, or getting something close enough to it, is so, so much easier than finding += in critical continuations. The burden of proof is almost always on White.

As for the Semi-Slav book, I hope people get something out of it.

2288 USCF, 2186 FIDE.

YIMAIM  
IP Logged

Ametanoitos
God Member

The road to success is
under construction

Reply #143 - 12/03/13 at 07:36:32
Post Tools
The Semi-Slav book looks great. We like to see "Play 1.Nf3" soon! Hope you have the time to finish it quickly and not be taken aback by perfectionism.  Smiley

IP Logged

BPaulsen
God Member

I Love Light Squares!

Reply #142 - 11/23/13 at 19:55:31
Post Tools
LostTactic wrote on 11/23/13 at 17:13:03:
@BPaulsen I have noticed on chessdirect that: Chess Developments: Semi-Slav 5.Bg5 is due out soon (pre-ordered it). Is Play 1.Nf3 likely to be out by spring, summer or later? Thanks.

Now that the Semi-Slav text is finished I am working on the 1.Nf3 book again. No expected date due, the scope of the work is much larger.

As for some concerns the previous poster had - I expect all the continuations I offer to be, at the very minimum, sound. It is impossible to guarantee a tangible advantage in every line of every opening, especially the popular ones. I have opted to make life as unpleasant for black as possible by giving white long-term chances even in the continuations that are equal.

I do make it a point to explain why I didn't go with other major continuations at various junctions (ie: the QGA). Especially when the lines I recommend are ones I evaluate as objectively equal (ie: 4...dxc4 5.Bg2 Bb4+ 6.Bd2 a5 Open Catalan), or very close to equality. Practically unpleasant, if one thinks such a term vague, means over the board black will be under pressure, and in correspondence black cannot just engine his way to an easy draw, but draw he ultimately should in my estimation.

By doing this I guarantee that even if a reader thinks my recommendation to be unimpressive, then he will be confronted with the reality that the alternatives are similarly unimpressive. Of course, chess still has development left in it and I could be proven wrong with future developments in engines/deep research, but it won't be for a lack of trying.

2288 USCF, 2186 FIDE.

YIMAIM  
IP Logged

LostTactic

I Love ChessPublishing!

Reply #141 - 11/23/13 at 17:13:03
Post Tools
@BPaulsen I have noticed on chessdirect that: Chess Developments: Semi-Slav 5.Bg5 is due out soon (pre-ordered it). Is Play 1.Nf3 likely to be out by spring, summer or later? Thanks.

IP Logged

punter

I Love ChessPublishing!

Reply #140 - 11/12/12 at 18:05:25
Post Tools
Quote:
The market has been recently flooded with top quality works on Nf3 lines of the english / catalan / fianchetto KID. What can a non-titled player do in a single volume that can meet the needs of an expert level audience better than the recent 5 volumes by Khalifman, 3 volumes by Marin, 2 volumes by Avruk and 3 volumes by Ippolito?

I am for one more likely to buy a shorter book when author made a choice about what's important for me. This is difficult task and the author as an expert on presented lines should be able to do that.
I bought 100+ chess books in my life and I am careful these days. Names and titles doesn't mean much if your mainline collapses after 5 seconds of analysis with Houdini (Avrukh vs KID) or if you don't cover the main most critical move in the main line (9..a6 or 10..a6 after 10.b4/Rb1 in reversed dragon in Marin repertoire).
On the other hand if the author passionate about his opening shows me some positions/ideas to apply withotu bombarding me with 1000+ pages of leaky reference then we are talking.

IP Logged

BPaulsen
God Member

I Love Light Squares!

Reply #139 - 11/09/12 at 00:50:54
Post Tools
Black does equalize in both knight retreats in the analysis I performed, he just has to know what he's doing (his most desirable set-up is different after each). The same goes for a lot of Moscow (and particularly Anti-Moscow) continuations.

It's a good practical try for white, though, if he's willing to learn the ins and outs.

2288 USCF, 2186 FIDE.

YIMAIM  
IP Logged

tony37
God Member

I Love ChessPublishing!

Reply #138 - 11/08/12 at 11:52:54
Post Tools
BPaulsen wrote on 11/08/12 at 05:53:54:
5.Bg5 was going to be the original recommendation, but I just couldn't find anything in a few lines that justified memorizing 20+ moves of complex theory in the Anti-Moscow, while the line I was favoring for white in the typical Moscow was beaten down efficiently (read as: equalized effortlessly) in a fairly recent Kramnik-Aronian game.

I might be wrong of course (since you probably did a lot more work on this than I did), but I had the impression that it's not easy for black to equalise after 5.Bg5 h6 6.Bxf6 Qxf6 7.e3 Nd7 8.Bd3 dxc4 9.Bxc4 g6 10.O-O Bg7 11.Qc2 O-O 12.Ne4 Qe7 13.Bb3 and after 13...e5 both 14.Nc3 and 14.Ng3 look interesting (but I think Ng3 is best)

IP Logged

BPaulsen
God Member

I Love Light Squares!

Reply #137 - 11/08/12 at 05:53:54
Post Tools
LostTactic wrote on 11/07/12 at 05:34:26:
Question for BPaulsen - I remember reading earlier that you were recommending Bg5 vs Semi-Slav, however because you're covering this in your Chess Developments book, will you be changing this recommendation in your Nf3 book or will it be similar coverage to your Chess Developments book? Also I must say that this Play 1.Nf3 book is the book I'm looking forward to the most atm, as I want to switch to 1.Nf3, but will stick with 1.d4 ala Schandorff till this book comes out. I do have the Khalifman books but they're incredibly intimidating and I'm hoping your book will be more accessible for someone at my level (roughly 1950 Fide).

5.Bg5 was going to be the original recommendation, but I just couldn't find anything in a few lines that justified memorizing 20+ moves of complex theory in the Anti-Moscow, while the line I was favoring for white in the typical Moscow was beaten down efficiently (read as: equalized effortlessly) in a fairly recent Kramnik-Aronian game.

Lines changed, expectations changed, the Slav/Semi-Slav complex cannot guarantee a += for white, and the best I could come up with were positions more comfortable for white (more space, better activity, things of those nature). I did my best, and that's about all I can say.

"Chess Developments: The Semi-Slav with 5.Bg5" was a project that only came about due to the amount of work I created detailing analysis on the Botvinnik, Anti-Moscow, Moscow, and Cambridge Springs. That book is actually almost done, I just need to finish the Botvinnik section, and expand the annotations.

In comparing to Khalifman, heh... Khalifman is much more thorough, but then he had the space to be. That said, that isn't a criticism - it still takes time to write all of those sidelines, even those awful/dubious ones he takes time to address. I wouldn't want to do it even if I had the space.

I focus on lines that, in my opinion, are critical due to popularity, logic/principle, or engine preference and focus on explaining those because they usually form the "core" of understanding the resulting positions. In the case of "lesser defenses" this often makes for more clear and concise explanations that lower class players can handle easily because the advantages crystallize more clearly. In openings like, for example, the Hedgehog, it can be difficult to realize the nature of a space advantage that has reduced black's counterplay to near zero - you still have to break his position! At that point you're left with maybe explaining thematic maneuvers (if they exist) and general ideas/principles, but it can get vague and difficult for people that need specifics - if you're ever wondering why an author cops out with the "and white is better due to his space" without saying more - that's why! At that point the best advice takes you outside of the book - study games from these positions, play training games against stronger players/engines, and do personal study. Only at that point will the player realize why white's space matters for more concrete reasons.

But that's why the popular lines are popular. White's task isn't ever easy there.

2288 USCF, 2186 FIDE.

YIMAIM  
IP Logged

LostTactic

I Love ChessPublishing!

Reply #136 - 11/07/12 at 05:34:26
Post Tools
Question for BPaulsen - I remember reading earlier that you were recommending Bg5 vs Semi-Slav, however because you're covering this in your Chess Developments book, will you be changing this recommendation in your Nf3 book or will it be similar coverage to your Chess Developments book? Also I must say that this Play 1.Nf3 book is the book I'm looking forward to the most atm, as I want to switch to 1.Nf3, but will stick with 1.d4 ala Schandorff till this book comes out. I do have the Khalifman books but they're incredibly intimidating and I'm hoping your book will be more accessible for someone at my level (roughly 1950 Fide).

IP Logged

ghenghisclown
God Member

Pedicare Vestri Latin

Reply #135 - 09/18/12 at 05:39:58
Post Tools
Cool man, thanx for the hint!! Smiley

IP Logged

BPaulsen
God Member

I Love Light Squares!

Reply #134 - 09/18/12 at 01:57:15
Post Tools
gewgaw wrote on 09/17/12 at 13:18:30:
http://www.everymanchess.com/chess/books/Play_1Nf3%3A_A_complete_opening_reperto...
Published August 2013!! Why does it take so long?  Angry

It´s true, that lots of books about 1.Nf3 entered the market lately, but very often I could use just some lines and parts of the book, so I´ll definitely buy Paulson´s book and would be content to get two, better three new lines in my repertoire.

Life happened. Unfortunately. Things were rolling along smoothly, and then my day job turned ridiculous.

Plus, CD:SS w/5.Bg5 got prioritized.

ghenghisclown: The Classical KID. A variation Ponomariov has had some success with. Wink

I'd be lying if I said I didn't want to do something on the Bayonet as a possibly better try for an edge given the way theory is going of late, but alas - I'm not rewriting that chapter, and I stand by the analysis.

2288 USCF, 2186 FIDE.

YIMAIM  
IP Logged

gewgaw
God Member

I love ChessPublishing.com!

Reply #133 - 09/17/12 at 13:18:30
Post Tools
http://www.everymanchess.com/chess/books/Play_1Nf3%3A_A_complete_opening_reperto...
Published August 2013!! Why does it take so long?  Angry

It´s true, that lots of books about 1.Nf3 entered the market lately, but very often I could use just some lines and parts of the book, so I´ll definitely buy Paulson´s book and would be content to get two, better three new lines in my repertoire.

The older, the better - over 2200 and still rising.

IP Logged

ghenghisclown
God Member

Pedicare Vestri Latin

Reply #132 - 09/17/12 at 03:33:20
Post Tools
Ever since you made the comment that you weren't going to include the Gligorich...I've been dying of curiosity... What are you going to suggest against the KID??

IP Logged

BPaulsen
God Member

I Love Light Squares!

Reply #131 - 08/09/12 at 06:31:40
Post Tools
moahunter wrote on 08/08/12 at 20:20:57:
I wonder if you really mean that. Sure there are lots of hasty products today by some chess authors, but the really good ones that last the test of time, like the Dynamic English, are few and far between. In some respects I suspect effectively making chess digestible for lessor players in a good way, might be more challenging, harder to do, and take longer, than an expert repertoire.

The product wouldn't be hasty, but relieved of the analytical need to pose problems the task would be considerably simpler. You are just left with the analysis, and explanations. It is easier to explain what is going on in a position than to pose problems in certain openings, in my opinion.

This has been the case with "Chess Developments: The Semi-Slav with 5.Bg5".

Writing a classic isn't easy. It's a credit to GM Kosten that he pulled off the feat. I hold no pretensions that anything I write will reach that category - I'm simply trying to make it as good as I can.

2288 USCF, 2186 FIDE.

YIMAIM  
IP Logged

moahunter

I Love ChessPublishing!

Reply #130 - 08/08/12 at 20:20:57
Post Tools
BPaulsen wrote on 08/07/12 at 17:20:03:
@tony37:
@moahunter:

1.Nf3 is consistently inconsistent in that the opponent will determine the shape of the battle, while white just directs the flow until a tabiya is reached.

As I have stated before, I don't believe an advantage is possible in every line, nor do I expect to achieve such.

The main ambition is to give the second player problems to solve, regardless of how it is done. That's the unifying theme of the repertoire, as is the case with any ambitious repertoire.

There aren't that many sharp lines requiring memorization over learning in the repertoire, to be honest. I'm reasonably sure that really only the Catalan chapter qualifies as memory dependent, because it is simply impossible to pose problems without it.

Fair enough. The catalan is probably too much for me, I found I either aren't:
1. patient enough, or
2. sophisticated enough in my chess understanding (only 1800's).

On this comment:

Quote:
The goal of the repertoire is not some easy-to-digest 1.Nf3 repertoire, I could have written something to that effect in a very, very short time.

I wonder if you really mean that. Sure there are lots of hasty products today by some chess authors, but the really good ones that last the test of time, like the Dynamic English, are few and far between. In some respects I suspect effectively making chess digestible for lessor players in a good way, might be more challenging, harder to do, and take longer, than an expert repertoire.

IP Logged

Markovich
God Member

Reply #129 - 08/08/12 at 18:23:15
Post Tools
Eclectico wrote on 08/08/12 at 12:08:32:
@Smyslov Fan: "Play 1.Nf3!" is probably 2000+, although the explanations/simplicity of some choices may let lower rated players access parts of the material without too much confusion. The range of positions covered is immense due to being a transpositional repertoire, and only someone dedicated to the game can handle it.

You know I respect your level of research and have no doubt you can write a good book.  However, it appears you are completely ignoring the practical aspects of marketing and are perhaps a bit naive about who your potential audience is.

The market has been recently flooded with top quality works on Nf3 lines of the english / catalan / fianchetto KID. What can a non-titled player do in a single volume that can meet the needs of an expert level audience better than the recent 5 volumes by Khalifman, 3 volumes by Marin, 2 volumes by Avruk and 3 volumes by Ippolito?

Given your lack of title and the small amount of text space you have to work with, your natural "audience" is not the 2200+ crowd.  By setting the bar as high as 2000, you are limiting yourself to a tiny potential audience of 2000-2200 level players who do not already own Khalfiman, Wojo's Weapons, Avruk, etc.

You might want to reflect on the lack of recent books similar to Davies' "Dynamic Reti" or Kosten's "Dyamic English".  I think you would be wise to re-allign your goals with a more realistic potential audience: the 1700-2100 crowd.  A book along the lines of Cox's excellent "Starting out - 1.d4" written to introduce the main lines of 1.Nf3 would sell well.

My goodness.  We are organized  under the capitalist economic system, are we not?  Does BPaulsen need anyone's permission to set forth on the writing of a chess book?  If anyone seriously listened to all the naysayers, nothing would ever get done. 

This is America, you know?  (It is for me and BPaulsen, anyway.)  The place where people tackle jobs and get them done.

Don't want a new chess book on 1.Nf3?  Fine, don't buy one.  But don't try to discourage others in their creative efforts.

The Great Oz has spoken!

IP Logged

BPaulsen
God Member

I Love Light Squares!

Reply #128 - 08/08/12 at 17:43:01
Post Tools
Eclectico wrote on 08/08/12 at 12:08:32:
You know I respect your level of research and have no doubt you can write a good book.  However, it appears you are completely ignoring the practical aspects of marketing and are perhaps a bit naive about who your potential audience is.

I know who makes up the majority of chess book buyers. However, that has never been the intent of this repertoire book from the beginning. I didn't bring it to GM John Emms with the intent of it being some generic flank opening book - that would be a complete waste of my years spent working on and developing this repertoire.

If the book is good, then the sales will reflect it. I want to write a good book, that's the purpose. Not some hypothetical audience.

Quote:

The Grunfeld recommendation is different from all 4. The KID recommendation is different from all 4. The Hedgehog recommendation is different from the 2 that cover it. The Double Fianchetto Defense recommendation in the main line is different from any other. The Chigorin recommendation is different. The Symmetrical English section does have some overlap, but also some major differences. The Dutch is obviously different from those sources. My treatment of the Slow Slav is different from Avrukh. My treatment of the Noteboom/Semi-Slav is also different from Avrukh. I also take concepts like 1...b6 more seriously than most.

The areas with the most significant overlap are the Wedberg System, Symmetrical English 4 Knights, and Catalan (and even in the Catalan there are very clear and important differences from Avrukh). Other areas of the book are very distinct from others.

Quote:
Given your lack of title and the small amount of text space you have to work with, your natural "audience" is not the 2200+ crowd.  By setting the bar as high as 2000, you are limiting yourself to a tiny potential audience of 2000-2200 level players who do not already own Khalfiman, Wojo's Weapons, Avruk, etc.

I will state, with absolute confidence, this will contribute to the discussion of 1.Nf3 enough that it is worth writing. If I didn't think so, then I wouldn't write it.

Quote:
You might want to reflect on the lack of recent books similar to Davies' "Dynamic Reti" or Kosten's "Dyamic English".  I think you would be wise to re-allign your goals with a more realistic potential audience: the 1700-2100 crowd.  A book along the lines of Cox's excellent "Starting out - 1.d4" written to introduce the main lines of 1.Nf3 would sell well.

The goal of the repertoire is not some easy-to-digest 1.Nf3 repertoire, I could have written something to that effect in a very, very short time. I have read those books, they are good books, they suit their purpose in fantastic fashion, but their purpose isn't the same as my purpose.

Maybe there will be a "1.Nf3 For the Club Player" type book in the future, but this is not that book.

2288 USCF, 2186 FIDE.

YIMAIM  
IP Logged

Eclectico

I Love ChessPublishing!

Reply #127 - 08/08/12 at 12:08:32
Post Tools
@Smyslov Fan: "Play 1.Nf3!" is probably 2000+, although the explanations/simplicity of some choices may let lower rated players access parts of the material without too much confusion. The range of positions covered is immense due to being a transpositional repertoire, and only someone dedicated to the game can handle it.

IP Logged

BPaulsen
God Member

I Love Light Squares!

Reply #126 - 08/07/12 at 17:20:03
Post Tools
@tony37: I had a feeling you would.  Wink

"Chess Developments: The Semi-Slav with 5.Bg5" is rather more limited, and probably can be used by any Semi-Slav adherent regardless of rating. Of course, the Semi-Slav is a difficult opening in its own right, but that has never stopped 1600s from wheeling off 16+ moves of theory.

@moahunter:

1.Nf3 is consistently inconsistent in that the opponent will determine the shape of the battle, while white just directs the flow until a tabiya is reached.

As I have stated before, I don't believe an advantage is possible in every line, nor do I expect to achieve such.

The main ambition is to give the second player problems to solve, regardless of how it is done. That's the unifying theme of the repertoire, as is the case with any ambitious repertoire.

There aren't that many sharp lines requiring memorization over learning in the repertoire, to be honest. I'm reasonably sure that really only the Catalan chapter qualifies as memory dependent, because it is simply impossible to pose problems without it.

2288 USCF, 2186 FIDE.

YIMAIM  
IP Logged

moahunter

I Love ChessPublishing!

Reply #125 - 08/07/12 at 15:40:36
Post Tools
^I am curious about that as well.

Seems to me an average player isn't going to memorize dozens of inconsistent lines looking for a plus, that is constantly moving depending on the latest discovery, new computer software, or GM game. Its fun to have a few deep lines, but nobody can memorize it all like a computer.

And for GM's, I expect while many memorize deep variations in their favorite lines (building something that works for "their" style / strengths / weaknesses), others are more focused on learning and applying the principles of key games as a basis for applying their talents. Karpov's books illustrate this approach (although his focus was always end-games not the openings which he disliked the theory of when younger). Also, the idea of learning for your opponent, studying their games to look for flaws.

The idea that any repertoire will get a plus for white in every line is flawed, as we would all just play the "right way" then. Its a constantly moving target based on discoveries for black and white. I always thought the "beauty" of flank openings is perhaps you can reduce the theory a bit and focus on principles, and standard ways to play, but that doesn't seem the approach of many repertories, which are a hotchpotch of different and not necessarily consistent ideas, which leads to endless updating of too many variations. You can have your "perfect" opening database at home on the computer, constantly being updated, but its useless for OTB when you can't recall most of it, because the lines are so diverse and ad-hoc in style. I guess different for corro perhaps, but even then the human element will struggle with applying the different middle game plans I think.

IP Logged

Smyslov_Fan
God Member
Correspondence fan

Progress depends on the
unreasonable man. ~GBS

Reply #124 - 08/07/12 at 15:22:32
Post Tools
Bryan, who is the target audience of this book?

IP Logged

tony37
God Member

I Love ChessPublishing!

Reply #123 - 08/07/12 at 14:56:52
Post Tools
BPaulsen wrote on 08/06/12 at 18:21:20:
Unless you have something I don't, that line isn't the reason (10.Bf2, etc., and black's newly popular 13...Re5 line isn't a bulletproof equalizer any more than his other tries). In fact, at the present time I don't have as concrete a reason not to recommend the Gligoric compared to then (I found something where I like the white cause in what I view as the problem variation), but I'm sticking with my recommendation.

Also note that white's recent attempts in the Bayonet of late are very interesting. However, I'm still not going to change my recommendation.

One could argue that 7.0-0 exd4 is more drawish than the Gligoric version, anyway...

I had some sideline in mind, but taking a second (closer) look, I solved white's problem. For some reason Houdini doesn't seem to work well in this 7...exd4 line, Stockfish did a lot better (but I didn't use it the first time).

IP Logged

BPaulsen
God Member

I Love Light Squares!

Reply #122 - 08/06/12 at 18:21:20
Post Tools
tony37 wrote on 08/06/12 at 17:41:02:
I suspect this is because Black can equalise after 7.Be3 exd4 8.Nxd4 Re8 9.f3 c6. That was my conclusion anyway, sadly, because otherwise the Gligoric is very good. But in practice it's still a good try because even if Black knows the equalising line, is a typical KID-player really interested in sometimes rather dull equality? I don't think so.

Unless you have something I don't, that line isn't the reason (10.Bf2, etc., and black's newly popular 13...Re5 line isn't a bulletproof equalizer any more than his other tries). In fact, at the present time I don't have as concrete a reason not to recommend the Gligoric compared to then (I found something where I like the white cause in what I view as the problem variation), but I'm sticking with my recommendation.

Also note that white's recent attempts in the Bayonet of late are very interesting. However, I'm still not going to change my recommendation.

One could argue that 7.0-0 exd4 is more drawish than the Gligoric version, anyway...

Side-note for KID enthusiasts/Fianchetto KID players as white: I end up recommending the white side of the Yugoslav KID via transposition in the Symmetrical English, something that may be of interest to some. I like what I found there for white.

Quote:
Kaufman gives 1.Nf3 Nf6 2.c4 b6 3.g3 Bb7 4.Bg2 g6 5.O-O Bg7 6.d4 O-O as an option (besides the anti-Grünfeld), I have analysed this a bit and it's certainly playable but I still think white should be better because of his space and I also don't see a clear plan for black, but this is my personal impression of course.

This isn't a concern.

Quote:
It doesn't really surprise me that the (anti-)Moscow happens to be fine for black. I was planning to do a detailed analysis of it but I already had the suspicion that it would be a hard nut to crack (and anyway clearly better for black than the Botvinnik).

It's not like it is solved, but black's cause is basically bulletproof as far as I can tell. I say this because quite often black has more than one option that brings him either good counterplay or equality.

The Moscow/Anti-Moscow/Cambridge Springs/5...Be7 section of "Chess Developments: The Semi-Slav with 5.Bg5" is completed, just have the Botvinnik section left to write.

2288 USCF, 2186 FIDE.

YIMAIM  
IP Logged

tony37
God Member

I Love ChessPublishing!

Reply #121 - 08/06/12 at 17:41:02
Post Tools
BPaulsen wrote on 01/04/12 at 01:20:19:
Without revealing too much - sadly the Gligoric KID was ruled out for very concrete reasons. I would have liked to recommend this for sentimental reasons and my own personal score with it.

I suspect this is because Black can equalise after 7.Be3 exd4 8.Nxd4 Re8 9.f3 c6. That was my conclusion anyway, sadly, because otherwise the Gligoric is very good. But in practice it's still a good try because even if Black knows the equalising line, is a typical KID-player really interested in sometimes rather dull equality? I don't think so.

BPaulsen wrote on 03/09/12 at 00:29:39:
Haven't gotten a look at it yet, so don't know what he recommends. If someone would like to inform me, it would make it easier - all I know about Kaufman and flank openings right now is that he went with 1.c4 g6, and offered some speculative Double Fianchetto 584A7B6F76697F741A057 set-up in addition to something more serious against 1.Nf3.

Kaufman gives 1.Nf3 Nf6 2.c4 b6 3.g3 Bb7 4.Bg2 g6 5.O-O Bg7 6.d4 O-O as an option (besides the anti-Grünfeld), I have analysed this a bit and it's certainly playable but I still think white should be better because of his space and I also don't see a clear plan for black, but this is my personal impression of course.

BPaulsen wrote on 06/02/12 at 17:44:41:
I had been intending to recommend 5.Bg5 in the Semi-Slav, but after a lot of digging around I was ultimately stonewalled by the Moscow/Anti-Moscow complex, ultimately finding black to be okay. Theoretically, at least. This was after finding white's cause in the Noteboom, Slav proper, and other Semi-Slav variants to be easy enough to recommend. It was, put simply, a lot of work that was looking at just getting dustbinned.

It doesn't really surprise me that the (anti-)Moscow happens to be fine for black. I was planning to do a detailed analysis of it but I already had the suspicion that it would be a hard nut to crack (and anyway clearly better for black than the Botvinnik).

IP Logged

Anders

Reply #120 - 06/27/12 at 20:40:47
Post Tools
New In Chess Magazine (2012 #4) arrived in the mail this week.  On the second last page Everyman have a big ad where several books are on display.

It was a bit of a surprise (given earlier posts) to see "play 1Nf3" included to the far right. 

Above is "Dangerous Weapons Ruy Lopez" which also is not out yet but lies closer in time if I understand things right.

IP Logged

BPaulsen
God Member

I Love Light Squares!

Reply #119 - 06/04/12 at 01:47:29
Post Tools
Markovich wrote on 06/03/12 at 01:42:28:
Brian, with the utmost respect, and with full confidence that your books will be of enormous value, I worry when you say you overhauled your whole approach to the Semi-Slav becase you became convinced of Black's cause in the Anti-Moscow. Ye gods, how can anyone be so sure of anything of such labyrithine complexity? And don't you realize, you could be writing forever if Chess Truth is your goal? I mean this in a constructive spirit.

There are two things to keep in mind with the goal of this repertoire:

#1) I don't believe an edge can be forced everywhere. In positions where I believe an edge can be forced, then I will try my best to offer those variations even if they are tremendously sharp. If an edge cannot be forced in the sharpest lines, then there is little special merit in recommending them over quieter tries due to the amount of memorization often required (ie: there is a critical line in the Botvinnik where I favor white if he knows his stuff to move 31 or so - you can argue for this sort of memorization when an edge can be obtained, but not when it can't).

#2) In places where I cannot force an edge, I will look to cause problems on more abstract positional basis that will keep black under some pressure for a long time, even if he is objectively equal. Needing to keep up accurate defense over a long period can wear down even very strong players.

Of course, these are general rules. There are some exceptions here and there.

The Chess Developments book doesn't require me to question "chess truth" at every turn or force me to squeeze blood from turnips. It's a more natural process, hence why John Emms and myself elected to put it first - it will finish quickly.

2288 USCF, 2186 FIDE.

YIMAIM  
IP Logged

Markovich
God Member

Reply #118 - 06/03/12 at 01:42:28
Post Tools
Brian, with the utmost respect, and with full confidence that your books will be of enormous value, I worry when you say you overhauled your whole approach to the Semi-Slav becase you became convinced of Black's cause in the Anti-Moscow. Ye gods, how can anyone be so sure of anything of such labyrithine complexity? And don't you realize, you could be writing forever if Chess Truth is your goal? I mean this in a constructive spirit.

The Great Oz has spoken!

IP Logged

BPaulsen
God Member

I Love Light Squares!

Reply #117 - 06/02/12 at 17:44:41
Post Tools
Antillian wrote on 05/30/12 at 21:15:27:
Can we deduce from the above that Everyman Chess will soon be announcing a book on Beating the Slav Defences  by B. Paulsen to be released before "Play 1.Nf3!"?

I know you obviously can't say at this point, but it is nice to speculate. Wink

It's safe to say at this point now that the agreement is official.

I won't be beating the Slav Defense, but ultimately this is relevant to "Play 1.Nf3!"

I had been intending to recommend 5.Bg5 in the Semi-Slav, but after a lot of digging around I was ultimately stonewalled by the Moscow/Anti-Moscow complex, ultimately finding black to be okay. Theoretically, at least. This was after finding white's cause in the Noteboom, Slav proper, and other Semi-Slav variants to be easy enough to recommend. It was, put simply, a lot of work that was looking at just getting dustbinned.

Chess Developments: Semi-Slav with 5.Bg5 is my current project. As per the norm with the Chess Developments series, I will explore the latest theory, point out what is relevant, where fashion is likely to trend, and provide an overview of assorted relevant variations in addition to offering personal insights and analysis.

After the book is released there will be two updates that address developments in theory from that point forward.

Unlike "Play 1.Nf3!" this book won't take anywhere near as long to finish, and will be finished before the book this thread is about.

2288 USCF, 2186 FIDE.

YIMAIM  
IP Logged

TN
YaBB Moderator

Reply #116 - 05/31/12 at 06:17:38
Post Tools
Edited:
Moderator's note: Deleted a few posts which did not add to the discussion. Please keep to the subject of the thread, and think before you click 'post message'.

All our dreams come true if we have the courage to pursue them.

IP Logged

BPaulsen
God Member

I Love Light Squares!

Reply #115 - 05/31/12 at 01:08:15
Post Tools
Antillian wrote on 05/30/12 at 21:15:27:
Can we deduce from the above that Everyman Chess will soon be announcing a book on Beating the Slav Defences  by B. Paulsen to be released before "Play 1.Nf3!"?

Wink

2288 USCF, 2186 FIDE.

YIMAIM  
IP Logged

Antillian
God Member

Brilliance without dazzle!

Reply #114 - 05/30/12 at 21:15:27
Post Tools

"Breakthrough results come about by a series of good decisions, diligently executed and accumulated one on top of another." Jim Collins --- Good to Great

IP Logged

BPaulsen
God Member

I Love Light Squares!

Reply #113 - 05/30/12 at 20:55:57
Post Tools
Bibs wrote on 05/28/12 at 12:23:52:
So...how's the progress Paulsen san?

(Also had to bump off the utter tripe that was the c4...b5 thread, please, please, none of that.)

The progress for "Play 1.Nf3!" has slowed considerably for now, but for reasons that will become apparent on the Everyman website in the near future. I'll just say that it isn't cancelled, or any other nonsense - it is still going to be completed.

I mentioned in the previous post that I had to alter my recommendation in the Slav/Semi-Slav complex, and that I had done a significant amount of analysis that wouldn't make the book as a result. Well, that analysis will see the light of day, just not in "Play 1.Nf3!"...

"Play 1.Nf3!" will not cover the equivalent of 1.c4 b5, which is 1.Nf3 g5. You can rest easy. Grin

2288 USCF, 2186 FIDE.

YIMAIM  
IP Logged

Bibs
God Member

Reply #112 - 05/28/12 at 12:23:52
Post Tools
So...how's the progress Paulsen san?

(Also had to bump off the utter tripe that was the c4...b5 thread, please, please, none of that.)

IP Logged

MNb
God Member

Rudolf Spielmann forever

Reply #111 - 05/02/12 at 03:05:19
Post Tools
BPaulsen wrote on 05/02/12 at 01:50:55:
I have no idea on the number of pages as of right now.

It sounds like Khalifman and Wojo indeed. I admire your perseverance. I don't have it anymore, not even when it comes to a limited subject like the Black Queen Blues.

The book had the effect good books usually have: it made the stupids more stupid, the intelligent more intelligent and the other thousands of readers remained unchanged.
GC Lichtenberg

IP Logged

BPaulsen
God Member

I Love Light Squares!

Reply #110 - 05/02/12 at 01:50:55
Post Tools
There is no way it is releasing in June. While about seventy-five percent of the analysis is done and annotated, there are some openings that need more fleshing out (ie: some Symmetrical English lines need more depth, Dutch needs better explanations, some Catalan lines are yet to be addressed, I just recently changed my entire recommendation in the Slav/Semi-Slav complexes despite a MASSIVE amount of work on the original one - this last one pissed me off, but c'est la vie), and one important opening isn't anything more than the skeleton variations at the moment - the QGA. Everything else is mostly in good shape. Right now there's only a handful of lines left where I really have to pour in work to reach a point I am satisfied with recommending the white cause, and that's a major milestone in its own right.

If the purpose of this book weren't what it is - causing problems for black everywhere, it'd have been done a long, long time ago. However, as I will not pass off a "+=" without truly believing it with good cause, I have created a monster for myself. Compound it with the fact I am checking every single variation and questioning the conclusions of other resources at every turn I feel necessary, and you can see why it has taken awhile. Grin

I have no idea on the number of pages as of right now. I'm not skimping on the analysis or the explanations, but am trying to keep the former relevant (what I consider relevant, at any rate), and the latter concise. I will evaluate what's going on once things are mostly finalized, and if it is determined more can be added, then I will. Realistically it will be more likely some stuff gets cut, because last time we checked I was on pace to exceed the limitations.

I'd wager north of 300, but I can't say for certain as of right now.

Something I need to mention - as I'm trying to accomplish in one book what "Opening for White According to Kramnik" and "Wojo's Weapons" took multiple to accomplish while remaining theoretically critical and challenging old assessments there will undoubtedly be occasions where certain sidelines get omitted so that the important stuff gets more weighting to it. This is a double-edged sword that some will enjoy, and others will detest.

2288 USCF, 2186 FIDE.

YIMAIM  
IP Logged

LostTactic

I Love ChessPublishing!

Reply #109 - 05/01/12 at 14:07:14
Post Tools
Question for BPaulsen - I was looking at the london chess centre and they have this books release date for sometime in June. I just want to know whether this is correct or not? As sometimes they get their dates wrong. Also can you give a rough estimate of how many pages it will be i.e. 200-300, 300-400 or more etc.

Thanks

IP Logged

BPaulsen
God Member

I Love Light Squares!

Reply #108 - 03/16/12 at 23:08:02
Post Tools
Yeah, g3/Bg2 waiting until black moves the dark-squared bishop and only then playing c4 is fairly common knowledge, so I'm not revealing anything by mentioning that much. Allowing ...Bb4+ allows black a transposition to a fairly benign Bogo-Indian sort of position that black is fine in. However, people now know the intended recommendation, so it ends there - back to more general questions people!

Some Leningrad main lines still concern me more when it comes to posing real problems to black, so I'm not stressing all that much right now. If anything, all of this boils down to me not having much respect for the Bird's Opening with 1.f4 d5 2.Nc3 Nf6.

2288 USCF, 2186 FIDE.

YIMAIM  
IP Logged

TalJechin
God Member

There is no secret ingredient.

Reply #107 - 03/16/12 at 19:03:38
Post Tools
Glenn Snow wrote on 03/16/12 at 17:37:33:
Quote:
Well, it still has to be proven that White's tempo loss benefits him enough to be worth an edge.

However, I'm not sure that 2...Nc6 really is the ML. Both d6+e5 and the Balogh set-up with an extra tempo seem like good ML candidates too, especially since they can be reached via different move orders, perhaps the most flexible is 2...Nf6 3.e4 d6 (and 3...e5!? may be a reasonable alternative for the romantics)

Btw, just made a quick search on 2...Nc6 3.d4 "both +2000" and the result produced a much higher average rating, some well known names and a 50% score. The ever creative Shirazi even managed without the extra tempo...

Perhaps 1.Nf3 f5 2.d3 Nc6 3.d4 e6 4.g3 delaying c4 until after castling so to avoid early ...Bb4 moves, will be recommended.  The Balogh with an extra tempo seems reasonable but how many would answer the From with 1.f4 e5 2.d3?

When the B goes to g2 Black can transpose to a Stonewall sideline, I suppose.  Probably a white edge, if played well though. Or maybe my old Qe7, Nd8(-f7) idea with some kind of X-mas set-up?

IP Logged

Glenn Snow
God Member

Reply #106 - 03/16/12 at 17:37:33
Post Tools
Quote:
Well, it still has to be proven that White's tempo loss benefits him enough to be worth an edge.

However, I'm not sure that 2...Nc6 really is the ML. Both d6+e5 and the Balogh set-up with an extra tempo seem like good ML candidates too, especially since they can be reached via different move orders, perhaps the most flexible is 2...Nf6 3.e4 d6 (and 3...e5!? may be a reasonable alternative for the romantics)

Btw, just made a quick search on 2...Nc6 3.d4 "both +2000" and the result produced a much higher average rating, some well known names and a 50% score. The ever creative Shirazi even managed without the extra tempo...

Perhaps 1.Nf3 f5 2.d3 Nc6 3.d4 e6 4.g3 delaying c4 until after castling so to avoid early ...Bb4 moves, will be recommended.  The Balogh with an extra tempo seems reasonable but how many would answer the From with 1.f4 e5 2.d3?

IP Logged

TalJechin
God Member

Reply #105 - 03/16/12 at 09:45:36
Post Tools

IP Logged

Sauron

Reply #104 - 03/16/12 at 08:04:11
Post Tools
Markovich wrote on 03/16/12 at 01:00:18:
Sauron wrote on 03/15/12 at 17:38:50:
Markovich wrote on 03/15/12 at 16:17:24:
It would be a joke if the best White could achive were a Vienna played as Black.

Perhaps it is?  Grin

Not if my sense of the position after 3.d4 is correct. Black's game has a funny smell about it, you know? But let's wait for BPaulsen's book.

I also feel that the black position is unnatural.

Moreover, black has scored (reversed colours) well after 1.Nc3 Nf6 2.f4 d5 3.e3, but the players have been too low rated to make real conlusions.

IP Logged

Markovich
God Member

Reply #103 - 03/16/12 at 01:00:18
Post Tools
Sauron wrote on 03/15/12 at 17:38:50:
It would be a joke if the best White could achive were a Vienna played as Black.

Perhaps it is?  Grin

Not if my sense of the position after 3.d4 is correct. Black's game has a funny smell about it, you know? But let's wait for BPaulsen's book.

The Great Oz has spoken!

IP Logged

BPaulsen
God Member

I Love Light Squares!

Reply #102 - 03/15/12 at 18:52:49
Post Tools
TalJechin wrote on 03/15/12 at 09:32:01:
Quote:
3.d4!? is the recommendation and that's all I'm giving away for now.

Yep, Kindermann gave that move too and stopped there with a +/- verdict iirc. But we've discussed it here in several threads some years ago...

e.g:
http://www.chesspub.com/cgi-bin/yabb2/YaBB.pl?num=1098049385
http://www.chesspub.com/cgi-bin/yabb2/YaBB.pl?num=1231513487

Anyway, it will be interesting to see what case you can make of it in the book.

+/- seems harsh, but I'm not finding it hard to reach quite comfortable positions - the Nc6 is really just a pain in black's behind, and (so far) I haven't found a way to make good use out of it.

I have read the discussions on here before, but thanks for posting them again.

Quote:
Btw, you can of course offer a draw after 3.e4 - but Black will just laugh and play on...

Oh, I agree completely. I made the comment to disparage white's chances in that Reversed Vienna. Grin

2288 USCF, 2186 FIDE.

YIMAIM  
IP Logged

Sauron

Reply #101 - 03/15/12 at 17:38:50
Post Tools

Perhaps it is?  Grin

IP Logged

Markovich
God Member

Reply #100 - 03/15/12 at 16:17:24
Post Tools
I think the position demands 3.d4. I've always fretted over Black's chances there without being sure that he was worse. I'll be interested to see what BPaulsen says about it.

The Great Oz has spoken!

IP Logged

TalJechin
God Member

Reply #99 - 03/15/12 at 09:32:01
Post Tools
Quote:
3.d4!? is the recommendation and that's all I'm giving away for now.

Yep, Kindermann gave that move too and stopped there with a +/- verdict iirc. But we've discussed it here in several threads some years ago...

e.g:
http://www.chesspub.com/cgi-bin/yabb2/YaBB.pl?num=1098049385
http://www.chesspub.com/cgi-bin/yabb2/YaBB.pl?num=1231513487

Anyway, it will be interesting to see what case you can make of it in the book.

Btw, you can of course offer a draw after 3.e4 - but Black will just laugh and play on...

IP Logged

Sauron

Reply #98 - 03/15/12 at 08:32:43
Post Tools
Hi BPaulsen!

Thanks for your comment. As you know, 3.d4 is also presented in the Dangerous Weapons as an alternative, I'm looking forward to seeing your contribution to it. And I'm really looking forward to seeing your book. 1.Nf3 has been my main weapon for a long time. It's a Dementor for many black players  Wink

IP Logged

Bibs
God Member

Reply #97 - 03/15/12 at 07:07:41
Post Tools
Reference for Nc3/f4, Nc6/f5:
You may like to look at Keilhack's Knight on the Left Nc3 if you haven't already.
The only source I know covering such escapades.
KOTL a terrific text anyhow.
Really look forward to seeing your book.

IP Logged

BPaulsen
God Member

I Love Light Squares!

Reply #96 - 03/15/12 at 02:02:17
Post Tools
Sauron wrote on 03/13/12 at 21:04:08:
What have you planned against 1.Nf3 f5 2.d3 Nc6? It is recommended in the "Dangerous weapons: the Dutch", and black has scored very well with it.

Best may well be 3.e4 d5 4.d4!? transposing to the Vienna  Grin

2...Nc6 is the main line I cite. 3.e4 isn't best, not even close, not even in the same ballpark. White may as well just offer a draw after 2.d3 if 3.e4 were best.

3.d4!? is the recommendation and that's all I'm giving away for now. The vast majority of the games in that position occur with colors reversed (if people care to start researching it now - even then most of the analysis will be original), and I'm of the opinion it's a poor Bird's Opening black is playing (1.f4/2.Nc3 being very strange bedfellows), and that the "extra tempo" is detrimental. I've discussed the position with players I've done work as a second before, and they've never been fond of black's cause either.

Does that mean I expect 2.d3 to refute the Dutch? Hell no. Do I think I will still be able to pose very real problems? Absolutely. Perhaps most surprisingly to some on here might be this - do I think it's an inferior try for an advantage compared to the main line Leningrad? No, and I say that having poured through the theory exhaustively.

And yes - I still realize 2.d3 looks like a gimmick. Frankly speaking the move offends me at first sight because I much prefer battling it out in critical variations in well traveled main lines that represent principled play - but as I intend to show, it works, should be taken very seriously, and is worth using for 1.Nf3 players. For people concerned the book will be full of gimmicks I will stop that idea here - it's the only one in the entire book that qualifies as such. The rest of the book, in all likelihood, will be criticized, if anything, for being too theoretical.

Given when GM A. Khalifman does his next OFWAK update it will probably cover all of the main line Leningrad, people could just use that instead. It will not be the end of the world.

By the way, I love your signature.

@Eric the Red

That idea has already had preliminary discussions, especially after all the QID discoveries I've shown John Emms. Depending on how the first book goes I would very much want to do a pro-black book, and boy would it be easier.

2288 USCF, 2186 FIDE.

YIMAIM  
IP Logged

Sauron

Reply #95 - 03/14/12 at 16:21:49
Post Tools
TalJechin wrote on 03/14/12 at 13:32:53:
Sauron wrote on 03/14/12 at 12:26:54:
TalJechin wrote on 03/14/12 at 09:51:31:
Gilchrist is a legend wrote on 03/13/12 at 21:56:04:
Does not 4. e4 lose the pawn with 4...f/dxe4?

typo, he means e5 not d5

Personally I'm fine with playing black and suddenly be white in a KG or Vienna. Smiley 

But maybe the rep will go for a g3-setup instead of e4? At least that would be less demanding for the white players.

But that is not very challenging approach....
I really would like to make 2.d3 work   Cry

If the point is to play d2-d3-d4 I fail to understand the logic of how this tempo loss could be a theoretically challenging approach.

But as a surprise weapon it no doubt has some sting, given that white is very good at tactics and understands when & how to sacrifice to keep the initiative going.

Yes. That's why I'd like to know if BPalsen has something new for white that gives hopes for an edge.

IP Logged

TalJechin
God Member

Reply #94 - 03/14/12 at 13:32:53
Post Tools
Sauron wrote on 03/14/12 at 12:26:54:

typo, he means e5 not d5

Personally I'm fine with playing black and suddenly be white in a KG or Vienna. Smiley 

But maybe the rep will go for a g3-setup instead of e4? At least that would be less demanding for the white players.

If the point is to play d2-d3-d4 I fail to understand the logic of how this tempo loss could be a theoretically challenging approach.

But as a surprise weapon it no doubt has some sting, given that white is very good at tactics and understands when & how to sacrifice to keep the initiative going.

IP Logged

Sauron

Reply #93 - 03/14/12 at 12:26:54
Post Tools

typo, he means e5 not d5

IP Logged

TalJechin
God Member

Reply #92 - 03/14/12 at 09:51:31
Post Tools
[quote author=0058585052575858610 link=1324330989/91#91 date=1331675764]Does not 4. e4 lose the pawn with 4...f/dxe4?[/quote]

typo, he means e5 not d5

Personally I'm fine with playing black and suddenly be white in a KG or Vienna. :) 

IP Logged

Gilchrist is a legend
God Member

Reply #91 - 03/13/12 at 21:56:04
Post Tools

Creo lo que creo no importa lo que creen los demás.

IP Logged

Sauron

Reply #90 - 03/13/12 at 21:04:08
Post Tools
What have you planned against 1.Nf3 f5 2.d3 Nc6? It is recommended in the "Dangerous weapons: the Dutch", and black has scored very well with it.

Best may well be 3.e4 d5 4.d4!? transposing to the Vienna  Grin

IP Logged

ErictheRed
God Member

USCF National Master

Reply #89 - 03/13/12 at 15:57:52
Post Tools
Hey Bryan, you should consider doing a Black repertoire book next.  I'd be interested in what you have to say about the Queen's Indian and how a Black Nimzo/QID player should combat the English.

IP Logged

BPaulsen
God Member

I Love Light Squares!

Reply #88 - 03/13/12 at 01:43:25
Post Tools
gewgaw wrote on 03/12/12 at 20:15:47:
It would be interesting to know, how much hours you spent in your book and which computer(s) you used.

Hours - I have no idea. I do know that I spent ~80 hours on just one variation...before rejecting it. That represented one extreme. The Queen's Indian English was a three week affair due to me finding black improvements in many areas. In fact, the number of black improvements I've stumbled across in general is pretty remarkable, and space-willing I'll get to fit all the really relevant ones in.

@Gilchrist is a legend:

If I were content to settle with less in many areas the book would actually be finished already.

It's not finished due to my stubborn belief that the purpose of this repertoire is leaving black with problems to solve. As such, it is about 50% finished, possibly more, but definitely not less.

2288 USCF, 2186 FIDE.

YIMAIM  
IP Logged

BPaulsen
God Member

I Love Light Squares!

Reply #87 - 03/13/12 at 01:32:15
Post Tools
Straggler wrote on 03/12/12 at 20:28:29:
Perhaps the real question is: how much of it will require a degree of positional understanding that (say) we 1800s just don't have? Despite being a big fan of Tony Kosten, for example,  Roll Eyes I never got on with his book on the English - not because I wasn't willing to work at it, but because in many lines I couldn't really see what White was trying to do. I believe Donaldson says something to the effect that you need to be around 2000 to use his repertoire book. Of course a book of positional lines can be highly educational, if it explains what's going on in a way that a patzer can understand. But are you trying to do this? Do you even have enough space to do it?

In technical openings/variations there is much greater latitude to explain what is going on in such a way class players can grasp it easily enough, because the elements of the position are clear (ie: black has an isolated pawn, white has a powerful blockade, etc.). That's true for technical, or perhaps more appropriately put static, positions.

Now, abstract advantages on the other hand...how does the writer of an opening repertoire book stress the value of a space advantage in a relatively fluid position without illustrative games? Or independent study from the student? Stating something like "and white is better due to his extra space" may be completely true, but will lower class players grasp this readily? No, they will have to study games in which they see an abstract advantage in a fluid position executed.

In short, the deeper aspects of positional play and understanding them won't be solved by any repertoire book, but rather by study of complete games and seeing the execution of an abstract advantage over an entire game. If the repertoire book does its job, then aside from giving the reader the ability to pose problems to the opponent, it will also lead them in a direction that gives them incentive to study complete games in the chosen lines where the white player executed his advantage to completion.

I am doing my absolute best at explaining what is going on and what the plans are, so much so that for space reasons I will skip over sidelines I consider irrelevant if it means putting in more explanations in places I feel it is necessary.

In truth, I am more concerned with readers being able to absorb the unwieldy Botvinnik Semi-Slav than the positional explanations.

In summary: it will be possible to learn some things about positional play and evaluation from this book, but it will not be a panacea to chess understanding. People that actively work on their middlegame will get more out of it than those limited to just studying openings.

2288 USCF, 2186 FIDE.

YIMAIM  
IP Logged

Straggler

I Love ChessPublishing!

Reply #86 - 03/12/12 at 20:28:29
Post Tools
BPaulsen wrote on 03/12/12 at 01:43:51:
I don't think the rating ranges are as pertinent as the reality that this book will be for ambitious players that are willing to put some work into their game. It's basically an attempt to throw down the gauntlet and make black's life as hard as possible everywhere - obviously some of the material will be easily digested by players as low as 1500 depending on the opening/variation, while masters and higher will find it easier on the whole.

Perhaps the real question is: how much of it will require a degree of positional understanding that (say) we 1800s just don't have? Despite being a big fan of Tony Kosten, for example,  Roll Eyes I never got on with his book on the English - not because I wasn't willing to work at it, but because in many lines I couldn't really see what White was trying to do. I believe Donaldson says something to the effect that you need to be around 2000 to use his repertoire book. Of course a book of positional lines can be highly educational, if it explains what's going on in a way that a patzer can understand. But are you trying to do this? Do you even have enough space to do it?

IP Logged

Gilchrist is a legend
God Member

Reply #85 - 03/12/12 at 20:26:08
Post Tools
I think it would be more interesting to know approximately when the book should be published. Smiley

IP Logged

gewgaw
God Member

I love ChessPublishing.com!

Reply #84 - 03/12/12 at 20:15:47
Post Tools
It would be interesting to know, how much hours you spent in your book and which computer(s) you used.

The older, the better - over 2200 and still rising.

IP Logged

BPaulsen
God Member

I Love Light Squares!

Reply #83 - 03/12/12 at 01:43:51
Post Tools
Gilchrist is a legend wrote on 03/11/12 at 07:49:49:
What is the approximate rating range for this book would you postulate?

That's a tough one...I think John Emms might have a better idea of that than me - he's been reviewing the chapters/material as I complete them.

I don't think the rating ranges are as pertinent as the reality that this book will be for ambitious players that are willing to put some work into their game. It's basically an attempt to throw down the gauntlet and make black's life as hard as possible everywhere - obviously some of the material will be easily digested by players as low as 1500 depending on the opening/variation, while masters and higher will find it easier on the whole.

2288 USCF, 2186 FIDE.

YIMAIM  
IP Logged

Gilchrist is a legend
God Member

Reply #82 - 03/11/12 at 07:49:49
Post Tools
What is the approximate rating range for this book would you postulate?

IP Logged

BPaulsen
God Member

I Love Light Squares!

Reply #81 - 03/11/12 at 06:42:51
Post Tools
Gilchrist is a legend wrote on 03/11/12 at 03:15:47:
That sounds an interesting recommendation. Everyman still list the book as having 192 pages, is this still the amount? Some of their books as well as books from other publishing companies sometimes have a page count on the pre-order section, but when the book is published, the page count is much higher, i.e. Avrukh's Grünfeld volumes, and Ftacnik's forthcoming two volumes on 2nd edition of the Sicilian.

It's just a number listed until everything is finalized. It will be higher than 192 pages.

2288 USCF, 2186 FIDE.

YIMAIM  
IP Logged

Gilchrist is a legend
God Member

Reply #80 - 03/11/12 at 03:15:47
Post Tools
That sounds an interesting recommendation. Everyman still list the book as having 192 pages, is this still the amount? Some of their books as well as books from other publishing companies sometimes have a page count on the pre-order section, but when the book is published, the page count is much higher, i.e. Avrukh's Grünfeld volumes, and Ftacnik's forthcoming two volumes on 2nd edition of the Sicilian.

IP Logged

BPaulsen
God Member

I Love Light Squares!

Reply #79 - 03/11/12 at 02:06:31
Post Tools
Gilchrist is a legend wrote on 03/11/12 at 01:50:09:
Is the Hedgehog to be covered, or will the anti-Hedgehog styled lines like in Marin's Grandmaster Repertoire 5 be covered instead?

Hedgehog is covered. Very close attention is paid to the move order nuances resulting from black's early move choices, as they change how I treat the position.

Shipov and Khalifman were consulted as sources. Of course I have differences in opinion from both of them, but I'm very happy with how it turned out.

2288 USCF, 2186 FIDE.

YIMAIM  
IP Logged

Gilchrist is a legend
God Member

Reply #78 - 03/11/12 at 01:50:09
Post Tools
Is the Hedgehog to be covered, or will the anti-Hedgehog styled lines like in Marin's Grandmaster Repertoire 5 be covered instead?

IP Logged

BPaulsen
God Member

I Love Light Squares!

Reply #77 - 03/10/12 at 19:48:08
Post Tools
Straggler wrote on 03/09/12 at 08:20:59:
Kaufman gives 1.Nf3 Nf6 2.c4 g6 3.Nc3 d5. He claims to have found lines which give White no greater advantage than he can get in the normal Grunfeld, though "in several lines it seems that Black has hardly any choice if he wishes to stay close to equality" (which doesn't exactly inspire confidence).

As it turns out Kaufman's specific recommendation has already been improved on - there was nothing that needed amending.

Thanks to the chesspub member responsible for pointing out what he recommends against my recommendation. Smiley

2288 USCF, 2186 FIDE.

YIMAIM  
IP Logged

Straggler

I Love ChessPublishing!

Reply #76 - 03/09/12 at 08:20:59
Post Tools
Kaufman gives 1.Nf3 Nf6 2.c4 g6 3.Nc3 d5. He claims to have found lines which give White no greater advantage than he can get in the normal Grunfeld, though "in several lines it seems that Black has hardly any choice if he wishes to stay close to equality" (which doesn't exactly inspire confidence).

IP Logged

BPaulsen
God Member

I Love Light Squares!

Reply #75 - 03/09/12 at 00:37:56
Post Tools
Stigma wrote on 03/08/12 at 22:54:05:
If there is one opening where I expect White should be able to show an advantage in the main lines, it's the Dutch. But probably you can save quite a bit of space by picking 2.d3; I don't know if that's part of your reason... The Modern Stonewall is probably the hardest for White to get anything real against, but you could also avoid that by delaying d2-d4, as Khalifman and Davies and Donaldson/Hansen all did.

I'm offering 2.d3 because I believe it's good, not because it saves space. If I believed white had even better chances against the Leningrad, for example, I would go straight into the theory. This book does not shy away from theory if I think it's most appropriate as a try for an edge, it goes straight down the main lines of the Slav (6.Ne5), Semi-Slav (5.Bg5), Catalan, King's Indian Defense, etc.

Of course I realize that 2.d3 represents a break from that theme, but I am going to do my absolute best to justify the decision.

The Modern Stonewall is avoided as is the Leningrad for move order reasons unless black wants inferior versions of both. The I-J and the Classical Stonewall, on the other hand, will see their main lines as white cannot profitably avoid them.

That should make our resident Dutch player Mnb quite happy. Grin

2288 USCF, 2186 FIDE.

YIMAIM  
IP Logged

BPaulsen
God Member

I Love Light Squares!

Reply #74 - 03/09/12 at 00:29:39
Post Tools
Gilchrist is a legend wrote on 03/08/12 at 23:45:00:
Do you address Kaufman's recommendation against 1. Nf3?

Haven't gotten a look at it yet, so don't know what he recommends. If someone would like to inform me, it would make it easier - all I know about Kaufman and flank openings right now is that he went with 1.c4 g6, and offered some speculative Double Fianchetto QID set-up in addition to something more serious against 1.Nf3.

While I'm trying my best to keep track of recent sources, it's not like every book that comes off the presses is immediately at my command, nor does buying a book for a single variation make much sense to me. I must thank contributors that have relayed relevant lines in recent books (ie: a good friend is responsible for me being able to offer an improvement on The Safest Grunfeld - he sent me the concerned line, and I was able to amend the appropriate chapter).

2288 USCF, 2186 FIDE.

YIMAIM  
IP Logged

Gilchrist is a legend
God Member

Reply #73 - 03/08/12 at 23:45:00
Post Tools
Do you address Kaufman's recommendation against 1. Nf3?

IP Logged

Stigma
God Member

There is a crack in everything.

Reply #72 - 03/08/12 at 22:54:05
Post Tools
BPaulsen wrote on 03/08/12 at 21:54:33:
1.Nf3 f5 2.d3 is chosen. It's basically an anti-Leningrad/Modern Stonewall. I'm not choosing it out of laziness either - I like it despite its appearance as a gimmick.

1.Nf3 e6 2.c4 f5 will cover the I-J/Classical Stonewall.

Let's just say the Leningrad is impossible, and I do address black's attempts at producing one through various move orders, including the ones you listed above.

If there is one opening where I expect White should be able to show an advantage in the main lines, it's the Dutch. But probably you can save quite a bit of space by picking 2.d3; I don't know if that's part of your reason... The Modern Stonewall is probably the hardest for White to get anything real against, but you could also avoid that by delaying d2-d4, as Khalifman and Davies and Donaldson/Hansen all did.

Improvement begins at the edge of your comfort zone. -Jonathan Rowson

IP Logged

BPaulsen
God Member

I Love Light Squares!

Reply #71 - 03/08/12 at 21:54:33
Post Tools
Bibs wrote on 03/08/12 at 11:26:54:
Interested to see what you choose.

v Dutch. an anti line (eg 1. Nf3, 2 d3) and deal with transpositions via 1...e6, 1...d6, 2...f5. Or even 1...d6, 2...g6, 3...f5 avoiding lots of anti-dutch stuff.

or take it on (IJ/Classical, Leningrad, Stonewall etc)

Plans? (again without giving too much away!)

1.Nf3 f5 2.d3 is chosen. It's basically an anti-Leningrad/Modern Stonewall. I'm not choosing it out of laziness either - I like it despite its appearance as a gimmick.

1.Nf3 e6 2.c4 f5 will cover the I-J/Classical Stonewall.

Let's just say the Leningrad is impossible, and I do address black's attempts at producing one through various move orders, including the ones you listed above.

2288 USCF, 2186 FIDE.

YIMAIM  
IP Logged

Bibs
God Member

Reply #70 - 03/08/12 at 11:26:54
Post Tools
Interested to see what you choose.

v Dutch. an anti line (eg 1. Nf3, 2 d3) and deal with transpositions via 1...e6, 1...d6, 2...f5. Or even 1...d6, 2...g6, 3...f5 avoiding lots of anti-dutch stuff.

or take it on (IJ/Classical, Leningrad, Stonewall etc)

Plans? (again without giving too much away!)

IP Logged

BPaulsen
God Member

I Love Light Squares!

Reply #69 - 03/08/12 at 06:13:35
Post Tools
Markovich wrote on 03/08/12 at 04:17:45:
BPaulsen, what's your opinion of the 406C7F66627B646E650D098?  It seems to me that 1.Nf3 Nf6 2.c4 b6 is a reasonable move for a Nimzo+406C7F66627B646E650D098 player, am I wrong? 

My opinion of the QID in its own right (1.d4 Nf6 2.c4 e6 3.Nf3 b6) is very high. I actually think that the "old main line" 4.g3 Bb7 is just about due for a renaissance due to some  critical theoretical developments favoring the black cause (equalizing comfortably in formerly dangerous lines for the second player).

The move order fits in well with Nimzo/QID players that are content with the Hedgehog, Double Fianchetto Defense, or Queen's Indian English should white refuse QID transpositions. There is no outstanding downside at all to 1.Nf3 Nf6 2.c4 b6.

The Queen's Indian English (black abstains from ...c5 transposing to a Hedgehog) is a bit passive so white retains persistent pressure. The Double Fianchetto Defense is passive, but also solid. The Hedgehog is something I've spoken about on here before and have a high opinion of.

2288 USCF, 2186 FIDE.

YIMAIM  
IP Logged

Markovich
God Member

Reply #68 - 03/08/12 at 04:17:45
Post Tools
BPaulsen, what's your opinion of the QID?  It seems to me that 1.Nf3 Nf6 2.c4 b6 is a reasonable move for a Nimzo+QID player, am I wrong?

The Great Oz has spoken!

IP Logged

BPaulsen
God Member

I Love Light Squares!

Reply #67 - 03/08/12 at 02:13:57
Post Tools
Gilchrist is a legend wrote on 03/08/12 at 01:27:56:
What about Grünfeld?

1.Nf3 Nf6 2.c4 g6 3.Nc3 d5 4.cxd5 Anti-Grunfeld. Different treatment than Khalifman, includes improvement over analysis in Delchev's fairly recent Grunfeld work The Safest Grunfeld.

If anyone is wondering about the recently popular Anti-Anti-Grunfeld with 1...g6, I use 2.e4 and again deviate from Khalifman's recommendations in his recent book shortly after.

2288 USCF, 2186 FIDE.

YIMAIM  
IP Logged

Gilchrist is a legend
God Member

Reply #66 - 03/08/12 at 01:27:56
Post Tools
What about Grünfeld?

IP Logged

BPaulsen
God Member

I Love Light Squares!

Reply #65 - 03/07/12 at 06:48:33
Post Tools
TalJechin wrote on 03/06/12 at 14:07:28:
Sorry if I missed the answer to the following somewhere in the thread, but what's your intended system vs the KID?

For me, practically the only downside with 1.Nf3 would be missing out on the Saemisch or Averbakh vs the KID.

Classical with 9.Ne1, different than Kaufman's treatment. Way different.

@ErictheRed

Grin

2288 USCF, 2186 FIDE.

YIMAIM  
IP Logged

TalJechin
God Member

Reply #64 - 03/06/12 at 14:07:28
Post Tools
Sorry if I missed the answer to the following somewhere in the thread, but what's your intended system vs the KID?

For me, practically the only downside with 1.Nf3 would be missing out on the Saemisch or Averbakh vs the KID.

IP Logged

ErictheRed
God Member

USCF National Master

Reply #63 - 03/02/12 at 20:41:42
Post Tools
Hey Bryan, I wonder if a certain IM whose initials are D.R. will buy your book?  I remember your opening repertoire used to give him fits.

IP Logged

BPaulsen
God Member

I Love Light Squares!

Reply #62 - 03/02/12 at 19:26:19
Post Tools
dali wrote on 03/02/12 at 19:10:57:
is your avatar Lou Ferigno?  or is it a picture of yourself with no shirt on? you really think people here want to see that?

No. Yes. Don't care, I've been using it as my avatar on every message board I post at for the last few years, most of which are dedicated to strength & conditioning (I compete in powerlifting).

If you don't like it...stop staring at it.

Now if you've got questions about the book I'm writing - ask away. I'll gladly answer any questions about what will be recommended provided it doesn't go into too much detail.

2288 USCF, 2186 FIDE.

YIMAIM  
IP Logged

dali
YaBB Newbies

I Love ChessPublishing!

Reply #61 - 03/02/12 at 19:10:57
Post Tools
is your avatar Lou Ferigno?  or is it a picture of yourself with no shirt on? you really think people here want to see that?

IP Logged

Alias
God Member

Reply #60 - 01/25/12 at 21:58:33
Post Tools

IP Logged

BPaulsen
God Member

I Love Light Squares!

Reply #59 - 01/25/12 at 21:51:25
Post Tools
@Alias:

I haven't seen any cover art, so I'd have to take a look to see what you mean.

@Antillian:

Full repertoire.

2288 USCF, 2186 FIDE.

YIMAIM  
IP Logged

Antillian
God Member

Brilliance without dazzle!

Reply #58 - 01/25/12 at 09:06:46
Post Tools
I am just noticing this thread. This is a full repertoire for White right? It should really be in General Chess.

But, congrats BPaulsen. Looks like an interesting read indeed.

"Breakthrough results come about by a series of good decisions, diligently executed and accumulated one on top of another." Jim Collins --- Good to Great

IP Logged

Alias
God Member

Reply #57 - 01/25/12 at 07:44:15
Post Tools
Bryan, can you do something about the colour of the cover? The one showing on the Everyman page is hurting my eyes.

IP Logged

fling
God Member

I Love ChessPublishing!

Reply #56 - 01/17/12 at 08:12:05
Post Tools
Kazzy wrote on 01/16/12 at 22:39:46:
I can't really understand the fear of meeting the Fischer setup. Why not try 7.h4!? as Radjabov did against Ivanchuk? It may not lead to a big advantage but there's enough for Black to do wrong when even Chucky gets crushed in less than 30 moves in the FIDE World Cup.

The sac was interesting but nothing that I would fear. I agree that it might be a good argument for the line if Chucky is crushed, however, his recent shape has been a real rollercoaster, no?

IP Logged

Kazzy
YaBB Newbies

I Love ChessPublishing!

Reply #55 - 01/16/12 at 22:39:46
Post Tools
I can't really understand the fear of meeting the Fischer setup. Why not try 7.h4!? as Radjabov did against Ivanchuk? It may not lead to a big advantage but there's enough for Black to do wrong when even Chucky gets crushed in less than 30 moves in the FIDE World Cup.

IP Logged

topandkas

I Love ChessPublishing!

Reply #54 - 01/16/12 at 14:22:24
Post Tools
fling wrote on 01/16/12 at 13:38:59:
topandkas wrote on 01/16/12 at 11:53:24:
Ametanoitos wrote on 01/16/12 at 06:56:42:
In practice, Grunfeld players are ambitious players that also play the Sicilian. So 1.Nf3 c5! If 1.c4 e5! again is the most ambitious. I used to play the Grunfeld in combination with the Caro Kann, but then 1.Nf3 was a major problem!

Btw, Marin's proposal against 1.c4 c5 2.g3 g6 3.Bg2 Bg7 4.Nc3 Nc6 5.Nf3 e6!? (Fischer's Line) doesn't offer an advantage anymore and i am sure that Bryan knows this. In my opinion this always was (and will be) a good solid way to play against 1.Nf3, if of cource you are a Sicilian player.

@Ametanoitos:

Can you share with us the equalizing line in the Fischer variation?

This is a pretty nice line for Black:
http://www.chesspub.com/cgi-bin/yabb2/YaBB.pl?num=1323092540

So that's what Ametanoitis was referring to too? Why not include the moves a3 and a6 early on then this line doesnt seem viable for Black...

IP Logged

fling
God Member

I Love ChessPublishing!

Reply #53 - 01/16/12 at 13:38:59
Post Tools
topandkas wrote on 01/16/12 at 11:53:24:
In practice, Grunfeld players are ambitious players that also play the Sicilian. So 1.Nf3 c5! If 1.c4 e5! again is the most ambitious. I used to play the Grunfeld in combination with the Caro Kann, but then 1.Nf3 was a major problem!

Btw, Marin's proposal against 1.c4 c5 2.g3 g6 3.Bg2 Bg7 4.Nc3 Nc6 5.Nf3 e6!? (Fischer's Line) doesn't offer an advantage anymore and i am sure that Bryan knows this. In my opinion this always was (and will be) a good solid way to play against 1.Nf3, if of cource you are a Sicilian player.

@Ametanoitos:

This is a pretty nice line for Black:
http://www.chesspub.com/cgi-bin/yabb2/YaBB.pl?num=1323092540

IP Logged

topandkas

I Love ChessPublishing!

Reply #52 - 01/16/12 at 11:53:24
Post Tools

@Ametanoitos:

IP Logged

huibui

Reply #51 - 01/16/12 at 11:22:57
Post Tools

But White doesn't have to allow this line, right? Something like 1.c4 c5 2.Nf3 Nc6 3.Nc3 Nf6 (...g6 4.e3!) 4.g3 or 2...g6 3.d4 going for a Marocy seems to be much more critical.

Does an "Accelerated Dragon + Marocy + Grunfeld" - repertoire make sense? No transposition problems, but the passivity of the Marocy is probably not to the liking of many Grunfeld adherents  Sad

You tell the young people of today that...

IP Logged

Gilchrist is a legend
God Member

Reply #50 - 01/16/12 at 08:07:05
Post Tools
I think there are some 1. Nf3 players that play 1. Nf3 specifically to avoid the Grünfeld proper, but will play against all other 1. d4 main line openings, usually some non-d4 line against the Grünfeld set-up like 1. c4 players, and then happily play against the Main Line King's Indian. I wonder sometimes if the Grünfeld has a better reputation than the King's Indian due to this.