Latest Updates:
Hot Topic (More than 10 Replies) Chess Developments: the Modern Benoni (Read 14306 times)
fling
God Member

I Love ChessPublishing!

Re: Chess Developments: the Modern Benoni
Reply #14 - 01/04/13 at 21:29:20
Post Tools
Thx, Glenn!

IP Logged

Glenn Snow
God Member

Reply #13 - 01/04/13 at 18:19:59
Post Tools
fling wrote on 12/30/12 at 17:34:24:
Glenn, sorry if I missed this, but do you know in which threat that piece of analysis is (could you post a link)? I can't find it right now.

It may be a little hard to read as some of the formatting hasn't survived the forum upgrade but I think this is the thread:  http://www.chesspub.com/cgi-bin/yabb2/YaBB.pl?num=1277923036

IP Logged

fling
God Member

I Love ChessPublishing!

Reply #12 - 12/30/12 at 17:34:24
Post Tools
Glenn, sorry if I missed this, but do you know in which threat that piece of analysis is (could you post a link)? I can't find it right now.

IP Logged

Glenn Snow
God Member

Reply #11 - 04/07/12 at 17:26:17
Post Tools
Actually the above isn't a fair statement.  I should only say that the analysis concerning the Rybka suggested move of 14.Ra3! is better here.

IP Logged

Glenn Snow
God Member

Reply #10 - 04/07/12 at 17:19:13
Post Tools
fling wrote on 02/22/12 at 16:15:56:
I have now had a look at some lines in the Fianchetto variation, and looking at Chesspub, Watsons guide, Avrukhs GM 2 and Pallisers Chess Development, I have to say the book is really updated and gives more coverage to lines Avrukh just comments briefly on.

Also, I wonder if the last word is said in the main lines by Avrukh. These are really messy, and probably don't appeal to everyone, since one of the ideas to play the Fianchetto variation for a club player is likely to try to keep a more positional feeling than e.g. the Taimanov attack or the ...b5 sacrifice lines in the MML.

It seems like Black has a lot of options and tactical tricks at his disposal, and White will have a slight edge in most lines, but I am planning to surely pick either side in my upcoming games when possible.

Palliser is one of my favorite chess authors and I bought it and I believe he's done the usual good to great job.  I will say, however, that the forum analysis on the ...Nh5 system delaying O-O is more accurate here on the forum than in his book.

IP Logged

fling
God Member

I Love ChessPublishing!

Reply #9 - 02/22/12 at 16:15:56
Post Tools
I have now had a look at some lines in the Fianchetto variation, and looking at Chesspub, Watsons guide, Avrukhs GM 2 and Pallisers Chess Development, I have to say the book is really updated and gives more coverage to lines Avrukh just comments briefly on.

Also, I wonder if the last word is said in the main lines by Avrukh. These are really messy, and probably don't appeal to everyone, since one of the ideas to play the Fianchetto variation for a club player is likely to try to keep a more positional feeling than e.g. the Taimanov attack or the ...b5 sacrifice lines in the MML.

It seems like Black has a lot of options and tactical tricks at his disposal, and White will have a slight edge in most lines, but I am planning to surely pick either side in my upcoming games when possible.

IP Logged

Paul Hopwood
YaBB Newbies

I Love ChessPublishing!

Reply #8 - 02/05/12 at 14:35:44
Post Tools
@OrangeCounty I think the book is good news for MB players full stop. The critical lines like the MML and he Taimanov Attack are still the most dangeorus for Black, but seem to have been shorn of quite a lot of their theoretical terror.

IP Logged

MartinC
God Member

I Love ChessPublishing!

Reply #7 - 01/06/12 at 09:22:24
Post Tools
Yes actually, because there's seemingly been an improvement after 9.. b5 10 Bxb5 etc - 15 .. Ne5 as per a few Gashimov games etc - so no need to suffer the ending and 10 Nxb5 a bit messy.

He does seem fairly clear that 9.. b5 is the right move though.

IP Logged

OrangeCounty

You played that like it
was a good move!

Reply #6 - 01/05/12 at 23:34:44
Post Tools
Is there any hope for Black in the MML?

IP Logged

clickclick

I Love ChessPublishing!

Reply #5 - 12/23/11 at 22:38:10
Post Tools
Gilchrist is a legend wrote on 12/23/11 at 21:19:27:
Is this book like a survey of the main lines like New In Chess Yearbook or Quality Chess Cutting Edge? What do you think the range of rating audience for this book is?

It's similar to the Cutting Edge series in that only the 'hot' lines are selected. Content-wise, Palliser goes deeper than Pavlovic.

The target rating audience is probably around 1800 and up, but ultimately it depends on how well-prepared you would like to be, how well-prepared your opponents are, and your work ethic. The last one holds true for all books, but it especially applies to works such as the Cutting Edge or Chess Developments because the author usually only present new ideas without analysing them to death (though again, Palliser goes deeper than Pavlovic).

IP Logged

Gilchrist is a legend
God Member

Reply #4 - 12/23/11 at 21:19:27
Post Tools
Is this book like a survey of the main lines like New In Chess Yearbook or Quality Chess Cutting Edge? What do you think the range of rating audience for this book is?

Creo lo que creo no importa lo que creen los demás.

IP Logged

MartinC
God Member

I Love ChessPublishing!

Reply #3 - 12/22/11 at 19:51:22
Post Tools
Certainly does seem fun (and a lot of attention to Avrukh where appropriate). Somehow I hadn't realised how random even the fianchetto often gets!

Worth noting that it does only cover the MML (including the various 'anti' strategies), Taminov and Fianchetto variations. But (seemingly) plausibly comprehensive in terms of relevant lines within them.

Not sure when stuff like the 9.. b5 MML theory was last discussed in a book.

IP Logged

Markovich
God Member

Reply #2 - 12/22/11 at 15:55:23
Post Tools
I wonder if a bibliography is really all that relevant in this day and age of chess opening literature.  Everybody has access to pretty much the same set of games.  I suppose that where significant analyses, as opposed to played games, are extant, it would useful to know about them.  But I don't know that a list of printed sources particularly enhances the value of a chess book for me.

I look forward to getting a copy of this latest work.  The MB is a fascinating subject, and I've very much appreciated Palliser's previous work in general.

The Great Oz has spoken!

IP Logged

fling
God Member

I Love ChessPublishing!

Reply #1 - 12/22/11 at 13:14:54
Post Tools
It is an interesting book. I haven't read much, but so far really like it. Palliser is normally well prepared and he also plays the MB from both sides. Since I haven't looked at the theory for a long time, I am not sure if he has missed anything. It seems like he has read most books on the MB, but I agree, I'd like to see a bibliography.

IP Logged

clickclick

I Love ChessPublishing!

Chess Developments: the Modern Benoni
12/22/11 at 11:28:15
Post Tools
Richard Palliser has published a new book on the Modern Benoni, and I am surprised that no one has brought it up - especially more so since this is probably the first non-'starting out' book on the MB since Watson! Another book in the same series on the Dragon already has a thread, and that book is not even published!

I just received the book in the mail today - although I have not had a chance to examine the book thoroughly, here are my first impressions:
i) Great colour choice for the front and back covers, but the black pieces on the front cover are a little bit ugly.
ii) The first thing I checked was the Fianchetto variation, and how the book compared to Avrukh. At a cursory glance the analysis seems to be decent enough.
iii) In the Modern Main Line, I have only checked the ...Nh5 lines because that is the one I play. Palliser has some interesting improvements over Watson which again I have yet to check.
iv) I was surprised that this book did not contain a bibliography - to my mind there is a bibliography included in most Everyman books. From his comments I gather that every book on the MB from Black's point of view published after 2000 was consulted, including the Dangerous Weapons book. As far as white repertoire books go, it is less clear. Avrukh has definitely been used, but not really sure about Grivas.

All in all Chess Developments: the Modern Benoni looks like an interesting book filled with ideas very much worth exploring. I will have a firmer opinion once I have a chance to delve further into it.

IP Logged

Bookmarks: del.icio.us Digg Facebook Google Google+ Linked in reddit StumbleUpon Twitter Yahoo