Latest Updates:
Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2 
Topic Tools
Hot Topic (More than 10 Replies) What are the best books on the Dutch? (Read 16638 times)
MNb
God Member

Rudolf Spielmann forever

Re: What are the best books on the Dutch?
Reply #23 - 11/21/21 at 06:58:58
Post Tools
Stigma wrote on 11/21/21 at 00:30:00:
Simon Williams is an engaging presente    

Not for me (and I wouldn't call myself a stronger player; at best an experienced one). If his YouTube videos are representative he way too often repeats himself to my taste; also there is way too much filler. So I suspect that the actual chess info of a half hour video easily could be written down on a paper of A4 format.

The book had the effect good books usually have: it made the stupids more stupid, the intelligent more intelligent and the other thousands of readers remained unchanged.
GC Lichtenberg

IP Logged

Stigma
God Member

There is a crack in everything.

Reply #22 - 11/21/21 at 00:30:00
Post Tools
RoleyPoley wrote on 11/20/21 at 15:11:58:
Hopefully it will have been updated, but it doesn't surprise me as to why his other stuff rarely gets updates. He seems to be constantly working on new stuff for his own site, Chessable or Chessbase. Now he has launched GChess also. Presumably he still does stuff for Chess base. He seems to be collaborating a lot with Richard Palliser which should free him up a bit more.

I've noticed that a lot of the authors on Chessable rarely provide support or interact after their products are released.

It's true this is common, but major omissions tend to get fixed more often than not, even if sometimes it takes a long time.

But in some cases the "High" and "Medium" support levels Chessable use turn out to be false advertising. If the reality is an author won't ever update or even comment on the course beyond the first week or two, they should be upfront about that and mark the support level as "Low" or "Community" from the start. The Killer Dutch Rebooted does have a "Community" support level now I believe, but it was changed to that more than a year after publication, after several complaints.

Simon Williams is an engaging presenter and writer with many fans, so I'm sure he would sell lots of courses even if they were honest about what support level to expect. It's mostly stronger readers/viewers who get frustrated when important theoretical problems are pointed out but never fixed or even attempted fixed. And they especially don't like being lied to.

Improvement begins at the edge of your comfort zone. -Jonathan Rowson

IP Logged

RoleyPoley
God Member

I Love ChessPublishing!

Reply #21 - 11/20/21 at 15:11:58
Post Tools
I thought I had seen the new book mentioned somewhere online a couple of weeks ago along with a quote from Simon as to why one of the lines was going to be different to what was previously given - however, I can't remember if that was a difference between next years version and 2015 or between the killer dutch and its predecessor.

Hopefully it will have been updated, but it doesn't surprise me as to why his other stuff rarely gets updates. He seems to be constantly working on new stuff for his own site, Chessable or Chessbase. Now he has launched GChess also. Presumably he still does stuff for Chess base. He seems to be collaborating a lot with Richard Palliser which should free him up a bit more.

I've noticed that a lot of the authors on Chessable rarely provide support or interact after their products are released.

"As Mikhail Tal would say ' Let's have a bit of hooliganism! '"

Victor Bologan.

IP Logged

Stigma
God Member

There is a crack in everything.

Reply #20 - 11/20/21 at 03:03:29
Post Tools
"The Killer Dutch Rebooted" is the exact same title as his Chessable course.

I sincerely hope any novelties or new lines that show up in the book will also be added to that course. Buyers have been asking for additions and fixes almost since it came out, but there was nothing after the first week or so despite a supposedly "High" support level originally. The most glaring omission was 7...Ne4 (the only 7th move really covered) 8.Nxe4 fxe4 9.Ne1 d5 10.Be3!, which has also been discussed a bit here on ChessPub. I think there were also some doubts about Simon's lines against the London.

Improvement begins at the edge of your comfort zone. -Jonathan Rowson

IP Logged

tracke

Introite tam etiam ibi
dei sunt

Reply #19 - 11/20/21 at 00:41:50
Post Tools
Killer Dutch (2015) gets an update (acc. to Amazon.de):

Opening Repertoire - The Killer Dutch rebooted
by GM Simon Williams
Everyman, ~400 pages, ~28€, July 2022

https://www.amazon.de/Killer-Dutch-Rebooted-Simon-Williams/dp/1781946418/ref=mp_...

tracke  Smiley

IP Logged

CanadianClub

Greetings from Catalonia!

Reply #18 - 02/06/21 at 22:01:02
Post Tools
Having myself to play against people in the1600-2200 fide elo range in tournament games, I'd like to say that the video series in chess24 by Roeland Pruijssers is very good. Well explained and deep enough.

He (Pruijssers) advocates for 7...Qe8 in the mainline. Contrary to Sicilians and French, you will be getting a lot of mainlines, so this decision is very important (7...Qe8 vs 7...c6). I think the queen move is sharper (and riskier) but I play Leningrad to try to win and get a complex game.

Good luck with the Leningrad !

IP Logged

Sandman

Reply #17 - 02/06/21 at 01:28:10
Post Tools
Thank you brabo and mnb. I’ll take a look at those.

“All it takes is one bad day to reduce the sanest man alive to lunacy.
That's how far the world is from where I am.
Just one bad day.”

IP Logged

MNb
God Member

Rudolf Spielmann forever

Reply #16 - 02/04/21 at 11:17:24
Post Tools
Sandman wrote on 02/04/21 at 00:27:40:
Hey guys, which Dutch book has the best repertoire on the Leningrad for someone new to the Leningrad Dutch?

Thanks

Perhaps you'll need more than one book. One important decision you have to make is which line to play after 1.d4 f5 2.g3 Nf6 3.Bg2 g6 4.Nf3 Bg7 5.O-O O-O 6.c4 d6 7.Nc3.
As an intro I'd suggest GM Moskalenko's Diamond Dutch. It's not a repertoaire book, so you'll need more. But he discusses many (not all) problems you'll meet when searching your way in the Leningrad jungle.

The book had the effect good books usually have: it made the stupids more stupid, the intelligent more intelligent and the other thousands of readers remained unchanged.
GC Lichtenberg

IP Logged

brabo
God Member

Welcome chessfriend

Reply #15 - 02/04/21 at 06:51:29
Post Tools
Best on the market today is without doubt https://thinkerspublishing.com/product/adrien-demuth-the-modernized-dutch-defens...

A new book from Mihail Marin is expected but already delayed several times : https://www.qualitychess.co.uk/products/1/363/leningrad_dutch_by_mihail_marin/

IP Logged

Sandman

Reply #14 - 02/04/21 at 01:01:53
Post Tools
While I’m asking, which book is best for anti-Dutch lines as I plan on playing 1..... f5

Just one bad day.”

IP Logged

Sandman

Reply #13 - 02/04/21 at 00:27:40
Post Tools
Hey guys, which Dutch book has the best repertoire on the Leningrad for someone new to the Leningrad Dutch?

Thanks

Just one bad day.”

IP Logged

up and comer

Reply #12 - 01/15/12 at 16:56:50
Post Tools
Turns out its the leningrad dutch specifically, Ive been facing so much.

uscf - 2250

IP Logged

TalJechin
God Member

There is no secret ingredient.

Reply #11 - 01/13/12 at 12:20:32
Post Tools
NeverGiveUp wrote on 01/12/12 at 15:15:30:
The worst book on the Dutch I've come across is Pinski's book on the classical dutch. It's very confusing. This is a pity and strange because another book of Pinski I have about the two knights is just downright excellent. 

It's very far from the worst book on the Dutch. The e6-systems in the Dutch are confusing in themselves and the chosen format of illustrative games instead of a larger overview makes it more confusing, but if you go through the games there are many ideas not noted in other sources.

IP Logged

NeverGiveUp

Never despair in a lost
position

Reply #10 - 01/12/12 at 15:15:30
Post Tools
I have several books on the Dutch, but Kindermann's book really stands out. It's loaded wih information of the highest quality. Also the selection of lines is clever and well done. So even against strong opposition (2300) I'm usually doing well just relying on Kindermann.
The worst book on the Dutch I've come across is Pinski's book on the classical dutch. It's very confusing. This is a pity and strange because another book of Pinski I have about the two knights is just downright excellent.

IP Logged

thibdb13
God Member

Tal was the best

Reply #9 - 01/12/12 at 12:47:58
Post Tools
For white: Starting Out: 1.d4! and later Avrukh's book but I really thing the Starting Out book is good enough for a first contact.
For black: it depends on which system you'd like to play. So maybe first the Starting Out book and then a more specialized source.
By the way, McDonald's book about the Leningrad has been criticized a lot but with the updates, I think it is a very interesting source of ideas if you want to play the Dutch Leningrad on a more aggressive manner than what Beim and Kindermann recommend.

Yusupov once said that “The problem with the Dutch Defence is that later in many positions the best move would be ...f5-f7” but he is surely wrong.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2 
Topic Tools
Bookmarks: del.icio.us Digg Facebook Google Google+ Linked in reddit StumbleUpon Twitter Yahoo