Latest Updates:
Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 12
Topic Tools
Very Hot Topic (More than 25 Replies) Scherbakov Book on Noteboom,Marshall Gambit (Read 164592 times)
Vass
God Member

I Love ChessPublishing!

Re: Scherbakov Book on Noteboom,Marshall Gambit
Reply #131 - 05/01/12 at 13:21:14
Post Tools
Markovich wrote on 05/01/12 at 12:39:04:
This book finally came into my hands, and I am very, very impressed.  It really is one of the best opening works that I can recall.  I have a library of six or seven hundred chess books, and I don't think that it includes any, devoted to a specific opening system, better than this one.  It is beyond thorough, delving deeply into; organizing; and evaluating some of the most complicated, important and heretofore obscure variations in all of chess theory.  It is not a repertoire book, but a full exploration of the possibilities for either side. The evaluations exaggerate neither side's chances.

It is clear and concise.  The diction is formal but still engaging.  It is refreshingly free of the self-congratulation, upon finding this or that new idea, that has recently afflicted the chess opening literature.  There is enough discussion of important positions that the amateur can gain significant insights from the Grandmaster, but nothing that merely points out the obvious.

But the chess is marvelous!  There is so much complexity and dynamism here.  Anyone playing either the Noteboom or the Marshall Gambit from either side must have this work.  If you play 1.d4 or answer 1.d4 with 1...d5, buy it for the light is sheds on whatever systems you do play.  Buy it anyway for the fascinating exploration of fighting chess that it is.  Playing through these variations, you can hear the opposing shields thumping together, and the clash of sword against sword.

Ruslan Sherbakov's contributions to Chesspublishing have always been among the best and most thorough, and this work continues in the same excellent vein.

Great review!.. Thank you, Markovich!
(Obviously, this is my next book to buy. ..And I'll give it a try in my future correspondence chess games.)
Cool

IP Logged

Markovich
God Member

Reply #130 - 05/01/12 at 12:39:04
Post Tools
This book finally came into my hands, and I am very, very impressed.  It really is one of the best opening works that I can recall.  I have a library of six or seven hundred chess books, and I don't think that it includes any, devoted to a specific opening system, better than this one.  It is beyond thorough, delving deeply into; organizing; and evaluating some of the most complicated, important and heretofore obscure variations in all of chess theory.  It is not a repertoire book, but a full exploration of the possibilities for either side. The evaluations exaggerate neither side's chances.

It is clear and concise.  The diction is formal but still engaging.  It is refreshingly free of the self-congratulation, upon finding this or that new idea, that has recently afflicted the chess opening literature.  There is enough discussion of important positions that the amateur can gain significant insights from the Grandmaster, but nothing that merely points out the obvious.

But the chess is marvelous!  There is so much complexity and dynamism here.  Anyone playing either the Noteboom or the Marshall Gambit from either side must have this work.  If you play 1.d4 or answer 1.d4 with 1...d5, buy it for the light is sheds on whatever systems you do play.  Buy it anyway for the fascinating exploration of fighting chess that it is.  Playing through these variations, you can hear the opposing shields thumping together, and the clash of sword against sword.

Ruslan Sherbakov's contributions to Chesspublishing have always been among the best and most thorough, and this work continues in the same excellent vein.

The Great Oz has spoken!

IP Logged

Zatara

I Love ChessPublishing!

Reply #129 - 04/02/12 at 21:03:59
Post Tools
Page 41  at the top I think has an error.  Has anyone else found it ?
z

IP Logged

Vass
God Member

I Love ChessPublishing!

Reply #128 - 04/02/12 at 16:46:35
Post Tools
I think you did pretty well. Your 16...exd5 is best. Hence your opponent's 9.Bf8 is not good. I'll post your game with some options for both sides. Some of these variations are almost forced.  Wink

IP Logged

ErictheRed
God Member

USCF National Master

Reply #127 - 04/02/12 at 15:53:09
Post Tools
I tried to play the Noteboom again in a rated game for the first time in years, but was hit with the Marshall Gambit.  I knew this was a risk; unfortunately, I hadn't studied the theory of this line for 8 years or so.  Here's how the game proceeded:

1.d4 d5 2.c4 e6 3.Nc3 c6 4.e4 de 5.Nxe4 Bb4+ 6.Bd2 Qxd4 7.Bxb4 Qxe4+ 8.Be2 Na6 9.Bf8 Ne7 10.Bxg7 Rg8 11.Bf6 Rg6 12.Bc3 Qxg2 13.Qd2 Qxh1 14.0-0-0 Nd5 15.Nf3 Qg2 16.cd ed and now my opponent played 17.Bxa6? Qxf3! and I think Black's just winning.  After 18.Re1+ Re6 19.Rxe6+ I had 19...Bxe6! because 20.Bxb7 loses on the spot to 20...Qh1+ 21.Kc2 Bf5+ 22.Kb3 Rb8 (my opponent didn't play 20.Bxb7).

Anyway not exactly a high level game, but I was wondering about the theory of this line; I was on my own after move 10!  Is 12...Qxg2 playable, or too risky?  The old Play the Noteboom gives it in a subvariation, saying it's too risky for Black, but only considers 16...cxd5 17.Ne5, which I indeed thought looked very strong, hence my 16...exd5.  During the game I was worried about 17.Ne5 or 17.Qd4; thankfully my opponent went astray with 17.Bxa6?. 

IP Logged

BlkSabb

I love ChessPublishing.com!

Reply #126 - 03/28/12 at 22:46:01
Post Tools
It sounds like everyone else may have been on holiday as well.

Gilchrist is a legend wrote on 03/28/12 at 22:39:40:
BlkSabb wrote on 03/28/12 at 22:15:40:
How does anyone do business like this?  480 days off for each kid for both parents?  How is Sweden not bankrupt in a year?  The employer and taxpayers are footing the bill for you to read chess books for 480 days?

What if you have something like six kids?  Do you ever have to work again?

Maybe because he deserves the time as a Swedish citizen? There is a reason Sweden is in the Top 10 list of countries for greatest quality of life. Like how in almost all developed nations (except for one) where citizens deserve free healthcare and subsidised education?

And what do you mean "the taxpayers?" Is he not also a taxpayer himself?

I went on holiday to Sweden's neighbouring country Norway, and it is true, that most of the Scandinavian countries have priorities right.

IP Logged

Laramonet

Gwyddbwll am byth !

Reply #125 - 03/28/12 at 12:27:18
Post Tools
In the position after 1.d4 d5 2.c4 e6 3.Nc3 c6 4.e3, Ruslan Scherbakov gives three options, 4..., f5, Bd6 or Nd7. The section on 4..., f5 does a pretty convincing job on making this seem dubious. 4..., Nd7 is directed against the plan of Nf3-e5 and f4. When this is played against 4..., Bd6, the white position is very solid and he comments that black has few winning chances if any. However, doesn't 1.d4 d5 2.c4 e6 3.Nc3 c6 4.e3 Nd7 5.Bd3 condemn black to a worse pawn structure if he wants to stick to the Stonewall ? E.g. 5.Bd3 f5 6.cd cd and black will need to play a6 and would have preferred to be able to play Nc6. The line given after 4..., Nd7 5.Nf3 f5 6.Qc2 Nh6 does look attractive but how achieveable is getting it on the board ?
Not having found an answer I'll stick to 4..., Bd6. I am thoroughly enjoying the book so far.

IP Logged

fling
God Member

I Love ChessPublishing!

Reply #124 - 03/17/12 at 16:17:29
Post Tools
If I have time Smiley

IP Logged

fling
God Member

I Love ChessPublishing!

Reply #123 - 03/17/12 at 11:00:51
Post Tools
Göran wrote on 03/17/12 at 10:54:29:
fling wrote on 03/17/12 at 10:01:20:
Gilchrist is a legend wrote on 03/17/12 at 07:45:06:
Which resources on the Slav do you use to complement Scherbakov's book to be consistent with both repertoires?

Hopefully I'll have more time later this year, when on parental leave  Tongue

In your dreams!  Grin

I know, especially since I also wanted to go climbing with some friends! At least the good thing here in Sweden is that we have lots of time for parental leave. Maybe I should start a group for chess-playing dads on parental leave  Smiley

IP Logged

fling
God Member

I Love ChessPublishing!

Reply #122 - 03/17/12 at 10:01:20
Post Tools
Gilchrist is a legend wrote on 03/17/12 at 07:45:06:
Which resources on the Slav do you use to complement Scherbakov's book to be consistent with both repertoires?

I have Burgess, Vigus and Lakdawala's latest books, as well as the Chess Explained and Play the Semi-Slav by Vigorito. For the White side, Avrukh's GM1 and 2, Beat the Guerillas, Wojo 1 and Schandorff. Well, also the Starting Out from Everyman. Last but not least, for both sides - Chesspub Smiley

But I can't say I am really complementing to have a consistent repertoire. I haven't started building a real repertoire, since I have only been playing the Slav. Just need to find some time to work on it  Grin.

Since the Repertoire thread here at Chesspub have gone cold (1.e4 and 1.d4) maybe we can start assembling something for a Slav/Triangle/Semi-Slav complex. Hopefully I'll have more time later this year, when on parental leave  Tongue

IP Logged

Gilchrist is a legend
God Member

Reply #121 - 03/17/12 at 07:45:06
Post Tools

Creo lo que creo no importa lo que creen los demás.

IP Logged

fling
God Member

I Love ChessPublishing!

Reply #120 - 03/17/12 at 06:55:12
Post Tools
Gilchrist is a legend wrote on 03/17/12 at 02:40:23:
It seems interesting to play the Noteboom/Marshall Gambit setup 1. d4 d5 2. c4 c6 3. Nc3 e6. Then if 4. e3, play Scherbakov's 4...f5 setup, or 4...Nf6 transposing to the Meran as Scherbakov mentions. Then if 3. Nf3, one can play the Slav setup 3...Nf6. Then if 4. Nc3 dxc4 5. a4 Bf5 is the Slav Alapin. Then that seems like a repertoire based on the Noteboom/Marshall Gambit, Semi-Slav, and Slav simultaneously. It seems quite complicated since that repertoire would be based not on one main opening, but on three different main line openings. But was that in your plans?

It is quite like my plans. I will for sure transpose to a Meran if i can, rather than a Stonewall. Anyway, I have been studying the Semi-Slav for some time, and already play the Slav. Therefore, I still "only" have to add the Noteboom. All in all, to be able to vary depending on the opposition, but also most importantly, depending on my mood Smiley

Also, not to forget, the study of the ideas in Semi-Slav and Noteboom really helps me understand some Slav positions and vice versa. Especially since I play the Catalan as White, I can combine these to understand more about the compensation for White and plans for Black in various lines with g3 from White (which you migth get quite often as Black at club level).

IP Logged

Gilchrist is a legend
God Member

Reply #119 - 03/17/12 at 02:40:23
Post Tools
It seems interesting to play the Noteboom/Marshall Gambit setup 1. d4 d5 2. c4 c6 3. Nc3 e6. Then if 4. e3, play Scherbakov's 4...f5 setup, or 4...Nf6 transposing to the Meran as Scherbakov mentions. Then if 3. Nf3, one can play the Slav setup 3...Nf6. Then if 4. Nc3 dxc4 5. a4 Bf5 is the Slav Alapin. Then that seems like a repertoire based on the Noteboom/Marshall Gambit, Semi-Slav, and Slav simultaneously. It seems quite complicated since that repertoire would be based not on one main opening, but on three different main line openings. But was that in your plans?

Creo lo que creo no importa lo que creen los demás.

IP Logged

fling
God Member

I Love ChessPublishing!

Reply #118 - 03/16/12 at 10:53:01
Post Tools
Gilchrist is a legend wrote on 03/15/12 at 22:30:57:
fling wrote on 03/15/12 at 09:02:34:
Actually, in my experience, most players under 2000 would have no clue how to get to the main line. Therefore, many White players will simply deviate early. Or else they will likely avoid the main line of fear of being outprepared.

Even in that case, at least the book offers recommendations for 1. d4 d5 2. c4 e6 3. Nf3.

That is true, and good of course! I still haven't started looking at the recommendations carefully in the book, but I will. My intention is to couple the Slav, which I play now, to the Semi-Slav and Noteboom set-ups. The idea is flexibility and to learn something new and potentially more unbalanced.

IP Logged

gwnn

Reply #117 - 03/16/12 at 10:20:48
Post Tools
A lot of nice things have been said of this book and I like it very much too. However  Smiley I think I found a little oversight by Scherbakov. If you check the Broznik book on d4 Guerrillas, there's a section on the Stonewall Slav, and Scherbakov doesn't have a white move that Broznik has. I will post the line here later.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 12
Topic Tools
Bookmarks: del.icio.us Digg Facebook Google Google+ Linked in reddit StumbleUpon Twitter Yahoo