Latest Updates:
Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 ... 12
Topic Tools
Very Hot Topic (More than 25 Replies) Scherbakov Book on Noteboom,Marshall Gambit (Read 164384 times)
Vass
God Member

I Love ChessPublishing!

Re: Scherbakov Book on Noteboom,Marshall Gambit
Reply #101 - 03/07/12 at 16:24:51
Post Tools
Agree.. And sometimes such tests end up with  Cry
Anyway, in this case I think I'm ready to try..  Wink

IP Logged

Markovich
God Member

Reply #100 - 03/07/12 at 15:37:46
Post Tools
Vass wrote on 03/06/12 at 14:00:04:
ferdia wrote on 03/06/12 at 13:34:27:
I've had this book for a couple of days and I think it is excellent. Played a couple of experimental games on ICC and fell into the 'trap' of playing an automatic combination of Qc7/Nbd7/OO in the main line against 15 Re1 (1 d4 d5 2 c4 e6 3Nc3 c6 4 Nf3 dc 5 a4 Bb4 6 e3 b5 7 Bd2 a5 8 ab Bc3 9 Bc3 cb 10 b3 Bb7 11 bc b4 12 Bb2 Nf6 13 Bd3 Nbd7 14 00 00 15 Re1 Qc7?) The book explains very clearly why 15 ...Qc7 is wrong in this case (it's usually 'right') and gives a number of viable alternatives.
I have played the Noteboom once in a serious game before and my experience bears out a point made by Scherbakov. My 2200ish opponent took about an hour to reach a book position in the mainline (he went 15 Qc2 instead and was lost after another 7 or 8 moves.) If you know the theory, the Noteboom is likely to give you a big advantage in time.
I had been looking forward to this book for a while and it gives me exactly what I was hoping for - deep analysis of main lines in the Noteboom and the Marshall plus clear ways to proceed against alternative White methods (4 Qc2, 4 g3, 4 e3 and the Exchange variation.) I will definitely be giving this line more of a go in real games.

Now that's a decent review!..
It seems I'll have to buy this book and give this Noteboom a try in my future correspondence chess games.  Cool

It is perhaps unnecessary to say that the practical advantages to which ferdia points do not exist in CC.  But as you may know, trying a line in serious correspondence play is excellent if you want to receive a severe test -- which you will get in about half your games.

The Great Oz has spoken!

IP Logged

Vass
God Member

I Love ChessPublishing!

Reply #99 - 03/06/12 at 14:00:04
Post Tools
ferdia wrote on 03/06/12 at 13:34:27:
I've had this book for a couple of days and I think it is excellent. Played a couple of experimental games on ICC and fell into the 'trap' of playing an automatic combination of Qc7/Nbd7/OO in the main line against 15 Re1 (1 d4 d5 2 c4 e6 3Nc3 c6 4 Nf3 dc 5 a4 Bb4 6 e3 b5 7 Bd2 a5 8 ab Bc3 9 Bc3 cb 10 b3 Bb7 11 bc b4 12 Bb2 Nf6 13 Bd3 Nbd7 14 00 00 15 Re1 Qc7?) The book explains very clearly why 15 ...Qc7 is wrong in this case (it's usually 'right') and gives a number of viable alternatives.
I have played the Noteboom once in a serious game before and my experience bears out a point made by Scherbakov. My 2200ish opponent took about an hour to reach a book position in the mainline (he went 15 Qc2 instead and was lost after another 7 or 8 moves.) If you know the theory, the Noteboom is likely to give you a big advantage in time.
I had been looking forward to this book for a while and it gives me exactly what I was hoping for - deep analysis of main lines in the Noteboom and the Marshall plus clear ways to proceed against alternative White methods (4 Qc2, 4 g3, 4 e3 and the Exchange variation.) I will definitely be giving this line more of a go in real games.

Now that's a decent review!..
It seems I'll have to buy this book and give this Noteboom a try in my future correspondence chess games.  Cool

IP Logged

ferdia
YaBB Newbies

I Love ChessPublishing!

Reply #98 - 03/06/12 at 13:34:27
Post Tools

IP Logged

Gilchrist is a legend
God Member

Reply #97 - 03/06/12 at 08:24:44
Post Tools
Yes, I was reading the introduction, especially this part on p. 6:

This book gives a complete and well-organized repertoire for Black, based on the Slav
Triangle. However, I didn’t avoid any problems Black may face, so it should be also helpful
for White players in their search for a way to counter the Triangle. I tried to remain as objective as possible

and I read some of the excerpt. It does not seem to be a complete guide, since Scherbakov gives, for example, the Stonewall for the 3. Nf3 c6 4. e3 line, instead of covering every single line that Black can play. So it seems as if he gives multiple alternatives for critical lines and sometimes one line for the less critical lines.

Creo lo que creo no importa lo que creen los demás.

IP Logged

gwnn

Reply #96 - 03/06/12 at 08:14:53
Post Tools
Well to me personally yes I think it strengthens it (by the way, Scherbakov says in the introduction that he intended this book as a guide to help you build your own repertoire and/or to choose a line based on you feel on a given day). Not every day do I want to concede a check on d8 by move 10, for instance. But yes there really is a lot of material so I can't say very much on where exactly the book lies between encyclopaedia and repertoire book.

IP Logged

Gilchrist is a legend
God Member

Reply #95 - 03/06/12 at 07:11:31
Post Tools
I guess that would not matter, I mean do you think the approach of Scherbakov's offering more than one line in the repertoire strengthens the book?

IP Logged

gwnn

Reply #94 - 03/06/12 at 06:47:53
Post Tools
Don't have that one, sorry.

IP Logged

Gilchrist is a legend
God Member

Reply #93 - 03/06/12 at 00:17:20
Post Tools
Would you say it is similar to Janjgava's book on the QGD in terms of how extensive the repertoire is since there are many options for Black?

IP Logged

gwnn

Reply #92 - 03/05/12 at 23:43:38
Post Tools
Yes, it is quite denser than other books I have. I think it is very detailed. Perhaps on par with GM repertoire books but probably slightly falls short. That is because there's quite a bit of explanation too and the letters are bigger. Well anyway, it is enough for the whole Trans-Siberian railway I think!

IP Logged

Gilchrist is a legend
God Member

Reply #91 - 03/05/12 at 23:07:41
Post Tools
Is the paper making the book denser? The above post also said that the book was approximately ľ kg so, perhaps just like Quality Chess books, the paper is the reason that the book is not at the expected height.

Anyway did you start reading it? Would you say the detail of the book is good for 2300+?

IP Logged

gwnn

Reply #90 - 03/05/12 at 20:52:00
Post Tools
Gilchrist is a legend wrote on 03/05/12 at 19:54:02:
gwnn wrote on 03/05/12 at 09:47:09:
It feels to my non-initiated hands identical to Quality Chess paper. It feels like a much more quality product than the move by move series (I have the Slav and Nimzo books), double column, smaller diagrams, etc. Of course this is all quite beside the point. And there is something that I think I've seen mostly in Gambit books, but maybe also in some QC/EC books: when there's a crossroads, the book gives you the page numbers (e.g. A Rb1 pg 15, B Rc1 pg 18, C Ra2!? pg 19).

My copy is due to arrive tomorrow and this sounds like a good book. So if it is Quality Chess paper, then the book is smaller than others previously? I think one other post above said that the book was 2 cm vertically?

It is quite thin, I thought I've been had when I got it. Two books that have a similar size are Playing the Queen's Gambit  (but this one is thicker and has bigger letters) and Understanding Chess Middlegames.

To some other questions: I don't think 2 Nf3 is covered. And I might be wrong about the Stonewall after all after reading a bit. It just seems to be a question of move orders. Scherbakov likes the Stonewall more vs some setups than others. Not sure! Like I said, it is a long long book.

IP Logged

Gilchrist is a legend
God Member

Reply #89 - 03/05/12 at 19:54:02
Post Tools
gwnn wrote on 03/05/12 at 09:47:09:
It feels to my non-initiated hands identical to Quality Chess paper. It feels like a much more quality product than the move by move series (I have the Slav and Nimzo books), double column, smaller diagrams, etc. Of course this is all quite beside the point. And there is something that I think I've seen mostly in Gambit books, but maybe also in some QC/EC books: when there's a crossroads, the book gives you the page numbers (e.g. A Rb1 pg 15, B Rc1 pg 18, C Ra2!? pg 19).

My copy is due to arrive tomorrow and this sounds like a good book. So if it is Quality Chess paper, then the book is smaller than others previously? I think one other post above said that the book was 2 cm vertically?

IP Logged

MartinC
God Member

I Love ChessPublishing!

Reply #88 - 03/05/12 at 19:31:22
Post Tools
Well the whole point of the thing is to not move any black knights early Smiley

IP Logged

Laramonet

Gwyddbwll am byth !

Reply #87 - 03/05/12 at 19:15:35
Post Tools
I can't wait for this book to arrive. Is there any mention of move orders against 2.Nf3 ? I'm playing the Tartakower at the moment and am interested in the Noteboom to give a more aggressive option. However, against 1.d4 d5 2.Nf3 is it necessary to allow a normal QGD with 2..., Nf6 or would 2..., c6 be better ?
        All the best, Adam.

P.S. The previews I've seen mean I've rarely looked forward to a book so much.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 ... 12
Topic Tools
Bookmarks: del.icio.us Digg Facebook Google Google+ Linked in reddit StumbleUpon Twitter Yahoo