Latest Updates:
Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 
Topic Tools
Very Hot Topic (More than 25 Replies) The Berlin Defence - Igor Lysyj, Roman Ovetchkin (Read 74930 times)
Gilchrist is a legend
God Member

Re: The Berlin Defence - Igor Lysyj, Roman Ovetchkin
Reply #12 - 02/23/12 at 00:38:39
Post Tools
It is good to see Chess-Stars publish repertoire books first on the Petroff last year and now on the Berlin Defence. I think these two defences, in addition to the Najdorf, are extremely difficult for 1. e4 players to prove advantages against. I think it would have been more useful though to perhaps provide two lines to the main line endgame with 9. Nc3.

Creo lo que creo no importa lo que creen los demás.

IP Logged

PANFR

I Love ChessPublishing!

Reply #11 - 02/23/12 at 00:21:46
Post Tools
Ametanoitos wrote on 02/22/12 at 13:58:49:
Didn't Kotronias dealed with this ...h5 idea in his book "GM Battle Manual" quite convinsigly? I mean that, in my opinion, he proved that White has at leat a small edge in these positions.

Ah, you know this is last week's "refutation".
Navara played the Kotronias plan against Karjakin in Tata Steel some one month ago, and lost. He followed the plan precisely: He exchanged a pair of rooks, kept the black squared bishop after black's ...h4, and... lost.

IP Logged

TN
God Member

Reply #10 - 02/22/12 at 14:10:21
Post Tools
Ametanoitos wrote on 02/22/12 at 13:58:49:
Didn't Kotronias dealed with this ...h5 idea in his book "GM Battle Manual" quite convinsigly? I mean that, in my opinion, he proved that White has at leat a small edge in these positions.

I'd forgotten about the relevant chapter in that book, thanks for reminding me! Now I will be able to win with both colours in the Berlin Wall, using Kotronias for White and Cox for Black.  Grin

I intend to compare where the two books deviate but obviously it will take some time.

All our dreams come true if we have the courage to pursue them.

IP Logged

Ametanoitos
God Member

The road to success is
under construction

Reply #9 - 02/22/12 at 13:58:49
Post Tools

IP Logged

TN
God Member

Reply #8 - 02/22/12 at 13:28:01
Post Tools
PANFR wrote on 02/22/12 at 11:52:52:
TN wrote on 02/22/12 at 11:04:26:
True, but I don't think 9...Ne7 and 9...h6 should be objectively worse than 9...Ke8.

Of course they aren't. The Berlin Ball endgame has a multitude of sound, healthy approaches. Cox sort-of advocated 9...Ne7, although he touched the other approaches as well.
Sometimes 9...h6 transposes to Ke8 lines, but the Lysyi book (which I do not have) focuses on ...h5 lines (judging from the contents pdf).

Yeah, there are some transpositional options in the Berlin Wall, though even without them the lines can be a bit confusing to navigate with either colour. I also have Cox's Berlin Wall book which does a great job of organising all the key opening, middlegame and endgame information. Naturally I'll see how I go using Cox's ideas before I make a final decision on whether to buy this book.

IP Logged

PANFR

I Love ChessPublishing!

Reply #7 - 02/22/12 at 11:52:52
Post Tools
TN wrote on 02/22/12 at 11:04:26:
True, but I don't think 9...Ne7 and 9...h6 should be objectively worse than 9...Ke8.

Of course they aren't. The Berlin Ball endgame has a multitude of sound, healthy approaches. Cox sort-of advocated 9...Ne7, although he touched the other approaches as well.
Sometimes 9...h6 transposes to Ke8 lines, but the Lysyi book (which I do not have) focuses on ...h5 lines (judging from the contents pdf).

IP Logged

TN
God Member

Reply #6 - 02/22/12 at 11:04:26
Post Tools

IP Logged

PANFR

I Love ChessPublishing!

Reply #5 - 02/22/12 at 10:32:58
Post Tools
Yes, 9...Ke8 is sort-of-mainline. At least Aronian has barely tried any other move here the last couple of years.

IP Logged

Gilchrist is a legend
God Member

Reply #4 - 02/22/12 at 08:25:54
Post Tools
I see the book is with the 9...Ke8 variation. Is this the most popular? It seems quite solid.

IP Logged

trw
YaBB Moderator

I Love ChessPublishing!

Reply #3 - 02/21/12 at 16:40:27
Post Tools
Gilchrist is a legend wrote on 02/18/12 at 01:34:50:
The Berlin Defence is certainly more topical than the Arkhangelsk. And I was waiting for a good repertoire book on the Berlin. The last book I remember was the Quality Chess book by John Cox.

The only book.

bragesjo wrote on 02/21/12 at 09:41:28:
Speaking of Berlin, I got to think of the Kasparov-Kramnik match. I bought a swedish book that covered that match and it was to the most boring wch match I have ever seen!

To each their own, I thought it was the most interesting. The last two Anand matches have been quite boring to me.

IP Logged

bragesjo
God Member

CCE at ICCF 2021 and CCM
at ICCF 2023

Reply #2 - 02/21/12 at 09:41:28
Post Tools
Speaking of Berlin, I got to think of the Kasparov-Kramnik match. I bought a swedish book that covered that match and it was to the most boring wch match I have ever seen!
« Last Edit: 02/21/12 at 12:49:11 by bragesjo »  
IP Logged

Gilchrist is a legend
God Member

Reply #1 - 02/18/12 at 01:34:50
Post Tools
The Berlin Defence is certainly more topical than the Arkhangelsk. And I was waiting for a good repertoire book on the Berlin. The last book I remember was the Quality Chess book by John Cox.

IP Logged

Mortal Games
God Member

The Berlin Defence - Igor Lysyj, Roman Ovetchkin
01/12/12 at 10:17:11
Post Tools
New year is starting with very good news! A Chess Stars book by Igor Lysyj and Roman Ovetchkin - "The Berlin Defence"
http://www.chess-stars.com/graphics/eshop/books_special/contents_Berlin.pdf

It seems they follow the traditional system (Quick repertoire, Step by step and Complete Games) of Chess Stars repertoire books, altough I prefer the latest and improved system (in my view) used by Delchev in Safest Grunfeld!? (Main ideas) and wish future books will appear all in this way, but it seems not the case by now.  Cry
Anyway, I look forward to these new books.  Smiley
Any possibility of a Chess Stars book on the Ruy Lopez Archangel? The latest one by John Emms is a bit outdated. (another idea is for John Emms to give us a second edition of his Archangel book but this time maybe on the new series "Move by Move!"  Roll Eyes
New year wishes...

It has been said that chess players are good at two things, Chess and Excuses.  It has also been said that Chess is where all excuses fail! In order to win you must dare to fail!

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 
Topic Tools
Bookmarks: del.icio.us Digg Facebook Google Google+ Linked in reddit StumbleUpon Twitter Yahoo