Latest Updates:
Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9 10 ... 13
Topic Tools
Very Hot Topic (More than 25 Replies) The best analysis program? (Read 154221 times)
TheDragon
YaBB Newbies

I Love ChessPublishing!

Re: The best analysis program?
Reply #81 - 06/10/14 at 13:04:15
Post Tools
Vass wrote on 06/09/14 at 22:18:26:
Well, responding to your first question:
Yes, 1.Stockfish; 2-3 Komodo/Houdini (or Houdini/Komodo depending on the time control).
For 5-10 minutes on the key positions and 30sec-1min for the rest...you can use Houdini. I think Stockfish & Komodo are better than Houdini when using more than 30sec-1min for a position. (Stockfish is better than Houdini even on blitz time controls, but this is all because of its fast scaling and pruning.)

Thanks for the reply. The program I am using allows me to do multiple analysis (so I am going to go into 5-10 minutes for leafnodes and + - a minute for the rest).

If you had to choose, which one is it for the long analysis? I am looking for the most accurate evaluations. Komodo or Stockfish? Tongue Cheesy

Sorry, I know I am pushing quite a bit but anyway.

P.S. If I am going through my repertoire/game with an engine in the background, would you suggest Stockfish?

Thanks and Regards,
TheDragon

IP Logged

Vass
God Member

I Love ChessPublishing!

Reply #80 - 06/09/14 at 22:18:26
Post Tools
Well, responding to your first question:
Yes, 1.Stockfish; 2-3 Komodo/Houdini (or Houdini/Komodo depending on the time control).
For 5-10 minutes on the key positions and 30sec-1min for the rest...you can use Houdini. I think Stockfish & Komodo are better than Houdini when using more than 30sec-1min for a position. (Stockfish is better than Houdini even on blitz time controls, but this is all because of its fast scaling and pruning.)

IP Logged

TheDragon
YaBB Newbies

I Love ChessPublishing!

Reply #79 - 06/09/14 at 12:12:58
Post Tools
Hi there.

So it seems that Stockfish 5 is the strongest playing engine. Followed by Houdini and then Komodo. Am I right?

The question is which to use for analysis and to analyse my repertoire. Larry Kaufman (Komodo developer) says that Komodo is best for long-term analysis and more positionally focused (with more time spent on evaluations). Houdini is apparently better when it comes to blitz and quick tactics. And Stockfish, well, I don't know.

Basically I don't know which one to use to analyse my repertoire. The engine will spend around 5-10 minutes on the key positions each and maybe 30 seconds - 1 minute for the rest (I am using Chess Position Trainer 5, CPT, by the way).

So basically, I don't know which to use. Should I use a combination, and if so, which one should take preference?

Regards,
TheDragon

IP Logged

Vass
God Member

I Love ChessPublishing!

Reply #78 - 06/04/14 at 13:57:06
Post Tools
A couple of days ago Stockfish 5 was released.
A free chess engine which is definitely better than the last versions of Houdini, Komodo and alike.. Several independent tests at different time controls prove it. And what is more, this engine won the last TCEC - the unofficial world chess engines' championship on 190' + 30" time control.
http://stockfishchess.org/
As for the best analysis program, well...I don't know.  Wink

IP Logged

Vass
God Member

I Love ChessPublishing!

Reply #77 - 12/14/13 at 20:24:15
Post Tools
tony37 wrote on 12/14/13 at 18:40:16:
I think the real curse is that there will be even more draws at the top level and that just isn't very interesting

I'm not sure about it.
Three different almost equal in strength engines can mess things up.
Besides, draws at the top correspondence chess level happen because top players do not want to take a big risk. They usually play some checked lines in the well known openings - such as Sicilian Najdorf, Ruy Lopez or Semi-Slav, Catalan and alike. In fact, no one wants to play King's Indian, for example, when meeting another top player.  Roll Eyes

IP Logged

tony37
God Member

I Love ChessPublishing!

Reply #76 - 12/14/13 at 18:40:16
Post Tools
I think the real curse is that there will be even more draws at the top level and that just isn't very interesting

IP Logged

tony37
God Member

I Love ChessPublishing!

Reply #75 - 12/12/13 at 19:33:24
Post Tools
brabo wrote on 12/12/13 at 19:26:08:
Vass wrote on 12/12/13 at 13:57:36:
Several tests recently show that Houdini 4 has some big competitors for the title "Best Analysis Program" in the face of its rivals: last versions of Komodo and Stockfish. While at short time control matches Houdini 4 keeps scaling better and wins over the last mentioned, they seem to prevail in long time control matches.
A true heaven for correspondence chess players! They can use several engines depending on the position they analyse and can choose between three different evaluations in order to choose the best move.  Wink

At the same time it is also a curse. Now you have to make a choice which is for the operator (in most cases 1000 or more points weaker than the engines) often just guessing.

??
it is still allowed to actually analyse these moves

IP Logged

brabo
God Member

Welcome chessfriend

Reply #74 - 12/12/13 at 19:26:08
Post Tools
Several tests recently show that Houdini 4 has some big competitors for the title "Best Analysis Program" in the face of its rivals: last versions of Komodo and Stockfish. While at short time control matches Houdini 4 keeps scaling better and wins over the last mentioned, they seem to prevail in long time control matches.
A true heaven for correspondence chess players! They can use several engines depending on the position they analyse and can choose between three different evaluations in order to choose the best move.  Wink

At the same time it is also a curse. Now you have to make a choice which is for the operator (in most cases 1000 or more points weaker than the engines) often just guessing.

Just one other remark about to choose between the different evaluations. It is well possible that the 3 engines show different evaluations but still show the same move and even recommended first line (at least a number of moves). I want to say that different evaluations don't always mean different moves.

IP Logged

Matemax
God Member

Chesspub gives you strength!

Reply #73 - 12/12/13 at 15:19:12
Post Tools

Playing correspondence myself I still have fun using my own engine (in ancient times called "brain"), too.

IP Logged

Vass
God Member

I Love ChessPublishing!

Reply #72 - 12/12/13 at 13:57:36
Post Tools

IP Logged

Vass
God Member

I Love ChessPublishing!

Reply #71 - 09/01/13 at 14:39:38
Post Tools
Shadow wrote on 09/01/13 at 13:25:54:
It seems to me chess engines spit out the same moves as all the others. ...

Well, it depends on the position you analyse.  Roll Eyes

Shadow wrote on 09/01/13 at 13:25:54:
... Are there any good engines that give different analysis possibilities or standout by giving unique choices?

The problem is that they all are calculators. We don't have to forget that. And the main things that usually differ in chess engines are the speed and the evaluation function. The faster the better...as we all know, while the evaluation function makes the big difference between them. So among the best ones, Houdini, Stockfish, Komodo and Rybka have completely different evaluation algorithms. Well enough...to not complain, I think.  Wink

IP Logged

Shadow

The Shadow knows!

Reply #70 - 09/01/13 at 13:25:54
Post Tools
It seems to me chess engines spit out the same moves as all the others. Are there any good engines that give different analysis possibilities or standout by giving unique choices?

IP Logged

scchess
YaBB Newbies

I Love ChessPublishing!

Reply #69 - 08/09/13 at 08:26:20
Post Tools
On the mobile platform, I think SmallFish (Stockfish) is your best friend.

IP Logged

Master Om

I Love ChessPublishing!

Reply #68 - 06/26/13 at 02:55:23
Post Tools
Still Komodo CCT is strongest and better than Komodo 5.1 at single core. It is too poor at tactics. hence cannot be recommended as a general Analysis tool. Still Houdini 3 Tactical is best. But as 3rd opinion is still good.

IP Logged

Vass
God Member

I Love ChessPublishing!

Reply #67 - 06/17/13 at 21:22:24
Post Tools
A brand new candidate for the best analysis engine:

Komodo 5.1 multi-processor (commercial) - at last  Grin
Released 17 of June, 2013
http://komodochess.com/komodo51mp-32a

Roll Eyes

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9 10 ... 13
Topic Tools
Bookmarks: del.icio.us Digg Facebook Google Google+ Linked in reddit StumbleUpon Twitter Yahoo