Latest Updates:
Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2 
Topic Tools
Hot Topic (More than 10 Replies) Good Ruy-repetoire book? (Read 17151 times)
belgian

Passionate about chess
and poker...

Re: Good Ruy-repetoire book?
Reply #15 - 02/07/12 at 23:12:05
Post Tools
fling wrote on 02/02/12 at 21:30:41:
It was mentioned by BlkSabb earlier in the thread. I haven't had more than a quick look in the book, but he proposes Worrall and Worrall-like set-ups with Qe2. It seemed like a solid repertoire. I also like his other books.

This book and the RL: Move by Move book do a good job of presenting starting repertoires against the RL. The Van Geet book is more thorough on the variations given, the MbM book has more explanations.

I personally believe the d3-based approaches to be more dangerous than the Qe2-based approaches, but they are both good enough to be played against players of almost any strength.

IP Logged

belgian

Passionate about chess
and poker...

Reply #14 - 02/07/12 at 23:08:26
Post Tools
Matemax wrote on 02/01/12 at 07:06:18:
The aim of the book is the "strategical" Ruy Lopez and therefore sets forced lines aside. It certainly could become a modern classic.

I understand that.

I didn't expect more lines, I expected a better line.

In other words, I am disappointed by the harmlessness of the proposed line against the Zaitsev. The book doesn't even mention the Johnsen & Johannessen recommendation against this line.

IP Logged

BabySnake

Opening repertoire construction
underway

Reply #13 - 02/02/12 at 21:56:43
Post Tools
fling wrote on 02/02/12 at 21:30:41:
PatzerKing wrote on 02/02/12 at 19:13:19:
What about the book of Andrew Greet "Play the Ruy Lopez"? Nobody mentioned it in this thread before.
Are the lines still reliable after all the book that are written for Black in the last years?

Overall I am very happy with all the other books of Andrew Greet that I own .

It was mentioned by BlkSabb earlier in the thread. I haven't had more than a quick look in the book, but he proposes Worrall and Worrall-like set-ups with Qe2. It seemed like a solid repertoire. I also like his other books.

In my opinion his suggestions against the early deviations are very good. He does put a lot of analysis into them.

IP Logged

fling
God Member

I Love ChessPublishing!

Reply #12 - 02/02/12 at 21:30:41
Post Tools
PatzerKing wrote on 02/02/12 at 19:13:19:
What about the book of Andrew Greet "Play the Ruy Lopez"? Nobody mentioned it in this thread before.
Are the lines still reliable after all the book that are written for Black in the last years?

IP Logged

PatzerKing

I Love ChessPublishing!

Reply #11 - 02/02/12 at 19:13:19
Post Tools

IP Logged

bragesjo
God Member

CCE at ICCF 2021 and CCM
at ICCF 2023

Reply #10 - 02/01/12 at 12:47:49
Post Tools
Ruy Lopez move by move also covered d3 based systems as a quick starting out repertour.
And it has been played by Carlsen too.

A thing unmentioned in this thread is the DVD "ABC of the Ruy Lopez" by Andrew Martin but is more verbal than concrete variations.

An other books is also the classical "Mastering the Spanish" but it is not a repertour book, it is a  great middelgame book.

IP Logged

Matemax
God Member

Chesspub gives you strength!

Reply #9 - 02/01/12 at 07:06:18
Post Tools
belgian wrote on 01/30/12 at 04:46:55:
Gilchrist is a legend wrote on 01/30/12 at 03:20:17:
I do not know of a recent Ruy Lopez repertoire book for White.

"Ruy Lopez, Move by Move.", though I wasn't impressed by its coverage of the Zaitsev.

The aim of the book is the "strategical" Ruy Lopez and therefore sets forced lines aside. It certainly could become a modern classic. If you want to learn the Zaitsev have a look at Kasparov's article on the ...c4-line in NIC Yearbook 100 and his "predator Wink" books.

IP Logged

Bibs
God Member

Reply #8 - 02/01/12 at 04:45:32
Post Tools
BlkSabb wrote on 01/30/12 at 05:02:25:
Greet's Play the Ruy Lopez and Gary Lane's The Ruy Lopez Explained are both very good.  Both from the White perspective.  Both offer a full repertoire.

Magnus Carlsen just used one of Lane's recommendations at the Tata Steel tournament.  He played 9 d4 against the Marshall.

http://www.chessgames.com/perl/chessgame?gid=1654980

It looks like he could have used the book before the game because he played this 11 Nxc6 which had never been played before in the database.  Then he got behind on the clock and didn't really get a great position out of the opening.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MB1_4UGUakc

Magnus curses like a sailor in the interview about the game.

I'll tell Gary he has a high-rated acolyte. Somehow, I think he might share my skepticism that Carlsen san reads all his books.

IP Logged

Uhohspaghettio
God Member

I Love ChessPublishing!

Reply #7 - 02/01/12 at 03:42:50
Post Tools
I do not know of a recent Ruy Lopez repertoire book for White. The only one besides Khalifman's that I remember was Emms' Easy Guide to the Ruy Lopez. I bought that book in 2005, so it is quite dated by now I presume.

That book came out in 1998.

IP Logged

BlkSabb

I love ChessPublishing.com!

Reply #6 - 01/30/12 at 05:02:25
Post Tools
Greet's Play the Ruy Lopez and Gary Lane's The Ruy Lopez Explained are both very good.  Both from the White perspective.  Both offer a full repertoire.

Magnus Carlsen just used one of Lane's recommendations at the Tata Steel tournament.  He played 9 d4 against the Marshall.

http://www.chessgames.com/perl/chessgame?gid=1654980

It looks like he could have used the book before the game because he played this 11 Nxc6 which had never been played before in the database.  Then he got behind on the clock and didn't really get a great position out of the opening.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MB1_4UGUakc

Magnus curses like a sailor in the interview about the game.

IP Logged

belgian

Passionate about chess
and poker...

Reply #5 - 01/30/12 at 04:46:55
Post Tools
I do not know of a recent Ruy Lopez repertoire book for White.

"Ruy Lopez, Move by Move.", though I wasn't impressed by its coverage of the Zaitsev.

IP Logged

Gilchrist is a legend
God Member

Reply #4 - 01/30/12 at 03:20:17
Post Tools
I do not know of a recent Ruy Lopez repertoire book for White. The only one besides Khalifman's that I remember was Emms' Easy Guide to the Ruy Lopez. I bought that book in 2005, so it is quite dated by now I presume. There is Sokolov's book on non-main line Ruy Lopez that is a guide for both colours, so perhaps that might be helpful. Also there is Brunello's Attacking the Spanish and Vigorito's Understanding the Marshall Attack, which are both colours as well.

Creo lo que creo no importa lo que creen los demás.

IP Logged

tp2205

I Love ChessPublishing!

Reply #3 - 01/30/12 at 00:17:22
Post Tools
Zatarra wrote on 01/29/12 at 23:28:10:
my mistake! 

I did read some of those posts, but im looking for a book from the white players perspective.  All these books seem to be trying to find best for black.   Im looking for adopting this as my white repertoire

thanks

There are Khalifman's Anand books Vol 1 & 2. They are still reasonably good but there are an awful lot of places where theory has moved forward or where sidelines seem to be not evaluated properly. Nonetheless I have not seen anything better. Building a mainline Spanish repertoire is anyway a task mere mortals should not expect to complete during their lifetime.

Of course you can also wait until the Spanish repertoire under construction in one of the other threads here will be completed if you are willing to wait for a little bit.

IP Logged

Zatarra
YaBB Newbies

I Love ChessPublishing!

Reply #2 - 01/29/12 at 23:28:10
Post Tools
my mistake! 

I did read some of those posts, but im looking for a book from the white players perspective.  All these books seem to be trying to find best for black.   Im looking for adopting this as my white repertoire

thanks

IP Logged

LostTactic

I Love ChessPublishing!

Reply #1 - 01/29/12 at 22:37:29
Post Tools

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2 
Topic Tools
Bookmarks: del.icio.us Digg Facebook Google Google+ Linked in reddit StumbleUpon Twitter Yahoo