Latest Updates:
Normal Topic Ari Ziegler's Modern for advanced players (Read 7332 times)
wcywing

I Love ChessPublishing!

Re: Ari Ziegler's Modern for advanced players
Reply #4 - 02/21/12 at 19:16:36
Post Tools
looks interesting, i was very impressed with his french dvd, just curious about his benoni dvd.  might be worth a watch.  the youtube video was good.

IP Logged

Blunderer

I Love ChessPublishing!

Reply #3 - 02/13/12 at 23:06:46
Post Tools
I have the DVD too and I think that Pasha and Matemax are both right.

There are elements of the DVD that are quite inspiring.
It is also true that there are parts of the DVD that are not well planned or delivered (I will have to review the DVD again to find the error Pasha saw though).

I bought the DVD on impulse based on my recollections of his French DVD, which I remember (rightly or wrongly) as being outstanding.  This DVD is very different, it isn't as good as I would have liked - but it's still worth looking at I think, I find something quite appealing about ziegler and he has worked quite hard in a number of lines to find some interesting ideas.

IP Logged

Matemax
God Member

Chesspub gives you strength!

Reply #2 - 02/13/12 at 22:13:06
Post Tools
It's interesting that watching the same product ends up in completely different opinions. I really like this DVD. Ziegler gives the choice for the Modern Benoni an emotional approach: If you just play 20 games a year, why bore yourself to dead by playing the QGD and alike - go for the adventure, go for the MoBe.

Watching him, it becomes very clear, that the MoBe is a risky choice, but something to gain winning chances. Therefore he tries to give a fighting approach in every line with a lot of original lines (presumably a computer workout he did on many days: "I looked at this position for 2 days with Rybka/Deep Fritz" - well my opinion: "Thanks Ari for doing this job for me!".

Concerning mistakes:
If you look at the lines he gives Rybka/Deep Fritz and their evaluations - so we dont have to trust Mr. Ziegler alone.

I just found one "finger fault" - in the fianchetto lines he starts his analysis with a move order where Black would win the e4-pawn outright - well nobody will play that move order with White, but in the end he lands at the critical position suggesting mindboggling stuff.

Recommended for higher rated amateurs!

IP Logged

Pasha
YaBB Newbies

I Love ChessPunishing!

Reply #1 - 02/13/12 at 18:50:00
Post Tools
A friend of mine purchased this DVD...I watched the first half hour.  Ziegler's delivery is so disorganized it's comical, really.  But that's not what's bothering me about his DVD.

Just as I mentioned in these forums regarding Pedersen's Benko book and a Shirov DVD I viewed, THERE IS NO EXCUSE FOR THE INCLUSION OF OUTRIGHT BLUNDERS.  I don't know about you, but I always have an engine running in the background for analysis and blundercheck.  Can anyone justify these authors not doing the same when they are creating these things?  I mean, c'mon now...Ziegler's DVD is a Chessbase production...they don't have access to a chess engine??    Huh

As you requested, I won't spoil it for you...but somewhere between the 20 minute and 30 minute mark, Ziegler is suggesting what he considers to be a critical move for black...which instantly turns into about a +3 for white!  And to be truthful, I didn't need an engine running to see immediately that a simple transposition of moves K.O.'s the line.

Perhaps I should not judge the entire DVD too harshly because of this one mistake, especially since I haven't watched the rest of it.  But when a critical suggestion is so obviously flawed, and so early on in the DVD, I tend to lose my appetite to explore it any further.

Caveat Emptor.   Wink

I don't think I really know any more than other people don't really know.

IP Logged

wcywing

I Love ChessPublishing!

Ari Ziegler's Modern for advanced players
02/13/12 at 06:07:08
Post Tools
just wondering if anyone has seen the dvd and if its any good.  if its like the french defense dvd, its worth its weight in gold.  i do have Martin's dvd on the benoni.  no spoilers please.

IP Logged

Bookmarks: del.icio.us Digg Facebook Google Google+ Linked in reddit StumbleUpon Twitter Yahoo