Latest Updates:
Normal Topic Playing the Pirc ... (Read 2987 times)
VitolinishBoom
YaBB Newbies

I Love ChessPublishing!

Re: Playing the Pirc ...
Reply #2 - 02/17/12 at 20:18:40
Post Tools
Thanks JEH!

IP Logged

JEH
God Member

"Football is like Chess,
only without the dice."

Re: Playing the Pirc ...
Reply #1 - 02/15/12 at 10:23:26
Post Tools
VitolinishBoom wrote on 02/15/12 at 06:10:06:
I'll make this brief.  Thinking about playing the Pirc. My rating is only 1700 so I'm not sure what book would be best to start with? Chernin, Vigus or Gallagher? I know about the Tella book, but I prefer complete games so I can get an idea about how middle and endgames play out.

Much thanks ahead of time.

Be careful, the Pirc is a bad habit that can be hard to break. I know, I've had it for about 30 years  Embarrassed

I think you've put your finger on a good set of books already.

I'd recommend starting with Gallager. He takes an objective view of both sides, and so doesn't paint the rosy picture that a repetoire book might. Plus, it's a starting book.

Then get Alburt/Chernin. I do really like the first section of this book explaining the ideas behind the Pirc, but the repetoire needs some work.

Vigus's book is the best one on the Pirc I know of. A must have really, but so much material in here that it's mainly useful as a reference.

Those who want to go by my perverse footsteps play such pawn structure with fuzzy atypical still strategic orientations

Clowns to the left of me, jokers to the right, stuck in the middlegame with you

IP Logged

VitolinishBoom
YaBB Newbies

I Love ChessPublishing!

Playing the Pirc ...
02/15/12 at 06:10:06
Post Tools
I'll make this brief.  Thinking about playing the Pirc. My rating is only 1700 so I'm not sure what book would be best to start with? Chernin, Vigus or Gallagher? I know about the Tella book, but I prefer complete games so I can get an idea about how middle and endgames play out.

Much thanks ahead of time.

IP Logged

Bookmarks: del.icio.us Digg Facebook Google Google+ Linked in reddit StumbleUpon Twitter Yahoo