Latest Updates:
Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2 
Topic Tools
Hot Topic (More than 10 Replies) Anyone know anything about the other Sniper book? (Read 31687 times)
Sniper
YaBB Newbies

I Love ChessPublishing!

Re: Anyone know anything about the other Sniper book?
Reply #15 - 02/07/13 at 09:00:10
Post Tools
Does anyone know when volume 2 Sniper Henley will come out?
Thanks

IP Logged

Carld

I Love ChessPublishing!

Reply #14 - 08/16/12 at 23:35:06
Post Tools
Sorry, I missed this question for a long time. Henley gives game #49 between Pavel Blatny and Boris Chatabalshev where Black plays Qa5!?. Henley says the more usual 4 ... cxd4 5 cxd4 d5 will be covered in volume 2.

I can't really offer an opinion on the analysis, but he covers the game in about 7 pages.

Here's a link to the game at chess.com http://www.chess.com/games/view?id=887976

IP Logged

Ender

I Love ChessPublishing!

Reply #13 - 06/28/12 at 08:06:00
Post Tools
What does he reccomand against

1. e4 g6 2. d4 c5 3. Nf3 Bg7 4. c3 *

?

2200. Amateur!

TD
God Member

Feyenoord forever!

Reply #12 - 06/26/12 at 13:55:08
Post Tools
Does anyone have the book as well as the DVD's (Foxy Openings)? How do they compare?

IP Logged

Carld

I Love ChessPublishing!

Reply #11 - 02/25/12 at 23:48:01
Post Tools
Got the book today. Physically, it's pretty typical, 396 pages, paper is good quality, printing is clear and so on.

The Introduction runs 27 pages and includes topics like "Why I Play The Sniper!", and "Win With Black!" The Introduction concludes with a sample game, acknowledgements, and an explanation of notation.

The next section starts the real meat of the book, the "Sniper Weapons Manual." This is about 30 pages on typical themes in The Sniper, how to use the Sniper Bishop, when to relocate it, when to trade it, where to find outposts for the Knights, piece sacrifices, when to delay castling and so on. Each one of these topics is covered in a short introduction, some diagrams and then references to the 64 annotated games.

The next section on Pawn Play follows the same structure, covering things like the D5 pawn break, the E5 pawn advance, the E5-D5 Pawn Duo and the F6 Pawn Advance among others. Pawn sacrifices and passed pawns are also covered here.

The 64 annotated games follow and make up the bulk of the book. Many of these games start out 1 e4, c5 before transposing back into the pure Sniper. Each annotated game contains plentiful diagrams highlighting important features of the game, and a good amount of annotations. There's also a recap explaining important moments and sometimes bonus games covering other White moves in the given variation.

There's a lot of material here, and while I'm not strong enough to comment on the quality of the analysis, it certainly looks like Henley has done a pretty thorough job, and the book features a lot of this own games, so he does play the opening himself.

Also, Volume 1 mainly covers 1. e4 & 2 d4. Volume 2 is going to cover the queenside version.

IP Logged

Glenn Snow
God Member

Reply #10 - 02/25/12 at 07:30:31
Post Tools
Since this is volume 1 does anyone know what's covered here and what will be in volume 2?

IP Logged

Carld

I Love ChessPublishing!

Reply #9 - 02/25/12 at 00:02:11
Post Tools
Henley's book on The Sniper got another 5-star review at Amazon, this time from a FIDE Master. Based on two good reviews I decided to order the book. I'm expecting to arrive tomorrow.

I'm still not sure about the opening, but I'm interested enough to take a $25 gamble.

IP Logged

Carld

I Love ChessPublishing!

Reply #8 - 02/20/12 at 23:06:09
Post Tools
Henley's Sniper book now has a customer review. It's generally positive, but doesn't have a lot of specific details on the contents.

Crushing White: The SNIPER! Volume 1 customer review

IP Logged

STEFANOS

I Love ChessPublishing!

Reply #7 - 02/17/12 at 22:21:55
Post Tools
Indeed Henley was second of Karpov and this has something to say, but he is not an active player or active in general for many years. The last year he issued lot's of DVD's for Alapin sicilian ( in a way I can say it was a decent job, but I prefer  Svesnikov's book) and Dzidzi Indian. These DVD'S have Crushing or things like that in their title. All the top GM's after the publication of the book and they will start to crush white by playing the sniper!! Let's be serious, Sniper it is good for OTB club games and only for that, above 2400 ELO you are playing with fire. Also, for sure this book would be unkown if our friend did not informed us. Also, the unkown publisher it is something that it does not give more credits to him. Sowrey wrote a book, ok it is not a GM but his is active and plays that opening. I doubt if Henely ever touch the Sniper in his active career. Before any possible buy , we must see how they will be evaluated by the critics.

IP Logged

Carld

I Love ChessPublishing!

Reply #6 - 02/17/12 at 20:30:07
Post Tools
Bibs wrote on 02/17/12 at 02:31:37:
Carld wrote on 02/17/12 at 01:41:43:
Ron Henely himself I remember very well from my earlier chess days. I still have a Chess Life or two with him on the cover around here somewhere. He's certainly not a scammer or a fly-by-night kind of guy or anything.

I'm really just interested in opinions from anyone whose familiar with the book.

Was really referring to earlier, rather unpleasant,  'sniper' discussion.
But the 26 player APA tourney does look rather unusual, must be said. Not come across one before. The only one ever so big?
Particularly as the GM is now so low rated (2415, only just enough for IM), with poor recent results. The more skeptical out there may arch an eyebrow of query at such, but if legit, it's legit.

But sorry to distract.

Sorry, didn't mean to be rude, I just didn't want this thread to dissolve into another rant-fest about that other book.

As I remember one of the later mega-tournaments was questioned because of possible game fixing in favor of some young Indonesian players. I don't recall what ever became of that charge, maybe nothing.

I'll keep looking around. I was kind of hoping Henely had worked out some improvements for Black in lines brought up on this forum, which has given the Sniper a pretty good work over.

btw: I just checked the USCF list, and Henley is rated #66 in the US, perhaps he's not the player he once was, but he's still very strong.

IP Logged

Tullius

I Love ChessPublishing!

Reply #5 - 02/17/12 at 14:58:42
Post Tools
Quote:
But the 26 player APA tourney does look rather unusual, must be said. Not come across one before. The only one ever so big?
Particularly as the GM is now so low rated (2415, only just enough for IM), with poor recent results. The more skeptical out there may arch an eyebrow of query at such, but if legit, it's legit.

In the old days tournamaents with more than 20 rounds were not uncommon.The tournament in Surakatra was strong when you look at the participants: W. Brown, Chandler, Christiansen, Sosonko, Hort, Miles etc. When he won the tournmaent he had a rating of  2460, this is today at least 2610.

It is also wellknown that he was second of Karpov. And then you should consider he had a successfull business
career so that Chess was not every time the No1 in his life.

IP Logged

Ender

I Love ChessPublishing!

Reply #4 - 02/17/12 at 09:51:07
Post Tools
Henley is not Dzindzi, his DVD's are ok. Also keep in mind that when he became GM there were not so much players with this tittle and 2500 player was considered as a strong one.

2200. Amateur!

Bibs
God Member

Reply #3 - 02/17/12 at 02:31:37
Post Tools
Carld wrote on 02/17/12 at 01:41:43:
Ron Henely himself I remember very well from my earlier chess days. I still have a Chess Life or two with him on the cover around here somewhere. He's certainly not a scammer or a fly-by-night kind of guy or anything.

I'm really just interested in opinions from anyone whose familiar with the book.

Was really referring to earlier, rather unpleasant,  'sniper' discussion.

But sorry to distract.

IP Logged

Carld

I Love ChessPublishing!

Reply #2 - 02/17/12 at 01:41:43
Post Tools

IP Logged

Bibs
God Member

Reply #1 - 02/17/12 at 01:10:15
Post Tools
Just when you thought things couldn't get any worse.

Looked him up, an unusual route to GM title: a 26 player all-play-all. Really?
Anyone have more details? Our US friends?
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ron_Henley

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2 
Topic Tools
Bookmarks: del.icio.us Digg Facebook Google Google+ Linked in reddit StumbleUpon Twitter Yahoo