Latest Updates:
Normal Topic Books on Maroczy Bind for White? (Read 11725 times)
Gilchrist is a legend
God Member

Re: Books on Maroczy Bind for White?
Reply #7 - 02/20/12 at 21:24:25
Post Tools
When I used to play 1. e4, I used NCO for the Maróczy Bind. Even though the book is older, the lines do not seem to change too much.

Creo lo que creo no importa lo que creen los demás.

IP Logged

chk
God Member

a pawn is a pawn

Reply #6 - 02/20/12 at 10:35:06
Post Tools
You could also check the Flank Openings section here in Chesspub, as many other 'English' players have posted similar questions.

I play the Maroczy as White myself and the best sources I have seen so far are:
a) Andrew Greet's book mentioned above (of course this focuses on the Sicilian move-order and it is only vs. the Acc. Dragon).
b) Shipov's 2 Volumes on the Hedgehog (Vol.1: White does the fianchetto - Bg2 / Vol.2: Be2/Bd3). Of course there are no Acc. Dragons covered in these books, but I thought you may be interested in the Hedgehog as well. It also gives games not only via the Sicilian, but also via the English move-order.

"I play honestly and I play to win. If I lose, I take my medicine." - Bobby

IP Logged

Stigma
God Member

There is a crack in everything.

Reply #5 - 02/18/12 at 21:13:26
Post Tools
An older Accelerated Dragon book that is often overlooked nowadays is Peter Heine Nielsen and Carsten Hansen's from ~1998. It was a large, comprehensive book for the time and has a lot of great strategic explanations of the games especially in the Maroczy chapters. Though it would of course be much less up-to-date theoretically than Greet's book.

At some point plans for a 2nd edition of Nielsen/Hansen were announced, but they fell through for some reason.

Improvement begins at the edge of your comfort zone. -Jonathan Rowson

IP Logged

ericmittens

Molto bene

Reply #4 - 02/18/12 at 13:12:38
Post Tools
Khalifman does a fantastic job covering the maroczy in his 4th volume of OFWAK. Greet's book is also excellent.

IP Logged

derdudea

I Love ChessPublishing!

Reply #3 - 02/18/12 at 11:42:45
Post Tools
Andrew Greet, The accelarated dragon
One of the best opening books I ever looked at (I did not study it intensely, since I played Maroczy positions only for a very short time). It contains a lot of insights on the Maroczy bind as far as it emerges from this opening an is very useful for White, too, even if he plays 1.c4/Nf3, as I did some years ago.

IP Logged

MNb
YaBB Moderator

Rudolf Spielmann forever

Reply #2 - 02/17/12 at 21:48:24
Post Tools
Mtal wrote on 02/17/12 at 06:07:25:
is this the way to go as white or are you better off transposing to something else if you can?

It's pretty good; it's just that Black can avoid it in many ways.
1.c4 c5 2.Nf3 Nf6 3.d4 cxd4 4.Nxd4 e5 will lead to the Kasparov Gambit.
1.c4 c5 2.Nc3 Nc6 3.Nf3 Nf6 4.d4 cxd4 5.Nxd4 e6 is a main line of the Symmetrical English.
1.c4 c5 2.Nc3 Nc6 3.Nf3 g6 4.d4 cxd4 5.Nxd4 Bg7 does not lead to the Maroczy because of 6.Nc3 Bxc3+. Fortunately for White there is 4.e3.
1.c4 c5 2.Nc3 Nc6 3.Nf3 e6 4.d4 may transpose.
1.c4 c5 2.Nc3 Nf6 3.Nf3 e6 4.d4 cxd4 5.Nxd4 Bb4 is also an important line; it may become the Romanishin-variation of the NID after 6.g3.

The book had the effect good books usually have: it made the stupids more stupid, the intelligent more intelligent and the other thousands of readers remained unchanged.
GC Lichtenberg

IP Logged

Bonsai
God Member

Reply #1 - 02/17/12 at 08:27:41
Post Tools
Mtal wrote on 02/17/12 at 06:07:25:
Are there any good books out there that explains the Maroczy Bind for white? I was thinking of playing the English and I know you can transpose to this. Also, is this the way to go as white or are you better off transposing to something else if you can?

The Maroczy is pretty pleasant for white, if you like to exert some positional pressure while having a space advantage.

I'm not sure about whether there are any good sources that explain it from the white perspective for the English move order. Khalifman's Kramnik series covers it (but explaining...), Experts versus the Sicilian has a good chapter on it for white from the sicilian move order and various other sources give quite good explanations of the sicilian move order (e.g. Greet's Starting out the Accelerated Dragon, Tiviakov's Chessbase trainer etc.).

IP Logged

Mtal

I Love ChessPublishing!

Books on Maroczy Bind for White?
02/17/12 at 06:07:25
Post Tools
Are there any good books out there that explains the Maroczy Bind for white? I was thinking of playing the English and I know you can transpose to this. Also, is this the way to go as white or are you better off transposing to something else if you can?

IP Logged

Bookmarks: del.icio.us Digg Facebook Google Google+ Linked in reddit StumbleUpon Twitter Yahoo