Latest Updates:
Normal Topic PGN Game Archive (Read 17071 times)
SxB
YaBB Newbies

Chess dad, Correspondence
fan (ICCF)

Re: PGN Game Archive
Reply #6 - 01/17/14 at 11:33:20
Post Tools
Notepad++ is a good/free text editor - works with huge files too.

Shaun

Sorry still can't post links but again Google is your friend...

IP Logged

Igor

Schild und Schwert der
Partei!

Reply #5 - 01/14/14 at 11:48:00
Post Tools
GMTonyKosten wrote on 01/14/14 at 11:38:17:
Maybe one could open a PGN file in a word processor and change '--' into 'Z0', too?! Undecided

Perhaps in a text editor, not a word processor; the latter may add formatting to the text, then seen as tags, random chars etc by CA Tongue

-> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Text_editor#Plain_text_files_vs._word_processor_fil...

IP Logged

GMTonyKosten
YaBB Administrator

Mr Dynamic?

Reply #4 - 01/14/14 at 11:38:17
Post Tools
Another subscriber had similar problems importing the quickdownload PGN files into Chess Assistant 14, and it seems that the 'null moves' were the problem again (CB uses '--' and CA uses 'Z0') and this caused CA to crash.
Apparently CA 14 is basically the same as CA 7 and the import function was never improved (it seems it doesn't import comments prior to the first move, either). However, recent editions of Aquarium do import correctly, so any CA user who also has Aquarium should import the PGN files using this latter.
Maybe one could open a PGN file in a word processor and change '--' into 'Z0', too?! Undecided

IP Logged

Odd Gunnar Malin
YaBB Newbies

Reply #3 - 02/19/12 at 02:09:55
Post Tools
Thanks.

There are null move in the other files too but these seems to not crash the import. The variation with the null move is of course not displayed.

The cause for the crashes in the king indian file was because the null move was the only move in the variation and thereby translated to an empty variation. This seems to crash the import function in CA.

I made a automatic fix in a batch file so I made it to work without too much work. I translatet the null move to CA's version so I can see the variation too.

I use the PGN Game archive because I find it much faster to import new update this way. Delete old base and import new base. Batchfiles do most of the job so it is just a few click. If I downloaded just the updated part I had to replace the relevant guide file as well.

IP Logged

GMTonyKosten
YaBB Administrator

Mr Dynamic?

Reply #2 - 02/18/12 at 00:57:00
Post Tools
I suppose Quote:
Unknown character - (Hex: 2d).
means that it doesn't like those ChessBase 'Null moves'?
Actually, most of the later 'errors' seem to be related to the null moves - your PGN program really doesn't like them! Roll Eyes

IP Logged

GMTonyKosten
YaBB Administrator

Mr Dynamic?

Reply #1 - 02/17/12 at 15:45:24
Post Tools
Interesting, I'll have a look at it. Why don't you just download the [E00-E99] file from Gold Plus in the meantime?

IP Logged

Odd Gunnar Malin
YaBB Newbies

PGN Game Archive
02/17/12 at 13:45:54
Post Tools
Hi.
I can't import King's Indian pgnfile from the PGN Game Archive into Chess Assistant. It's been like this a year or two. First I thought it was something with CA11/12 but after looking into the pgn file I receve from the game archive download, I see that it have several errors.
Here is the logfile done with pgn-extract (I don't know how to attach a file so I add a link to it)
http://polarchess.net/log.txt

The first errors in the file is just a missing "" around the sourcedate but scroll a bit down and you see more important errors.

When using a Chessbase program it seems like there still are errors, at least the number of games isnt the same (reported by pgn-extract = 1610, shown in Fritz13 = 1444).

IP Logged

Bookmarks: del.icio.us Digg Facebook Google Google+ Linked in reddit StumbleUpon Twitter Yahoo