Latest Updates:
Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 [2] 
Topic Tools
Hot Topic (More than 10 Replies) Future of the chess - Decrease of players? (Read 10285 times)
Seth_Xoma
God Member

FM with 2 IM Norms - (2381)

Re: Future of the chess - Decrease of players?
Reply #5 - 03/06/12 at 02:15:15
Post Tools
I would have thought chess was experiencing a boom all over the world thanks to the internet? Maybe club and tournament participation is down, but I seriously wonder whether there are more people playing chess now than ever before?

IP Logged

Markovich
God Member

Reply #4 - 03/06/12 at 01:47:19
Post Tools
Tullius wrote on 03/05/12 at 21:45:08:
I do not see the situation so pessimistic.

At first we have a number problem. Our society is aging. When i went in the school we had around 100 pupils in our age group, today there are only 40-50. Smaller towns and villages will suffer because many people have to move away when they want work and earn money. So i think that the number of chess players will generally decrease and there will be a higher decrease in small communities. But the decrease will not stop at the bottom.

On the other side i see many local trainers have success to recruit youngsters and teach them chess. Even in my little
town it seems possible. We were invited by the local school to organize a school chess group because parents are interested in chess! 

And i still think there are many intersting tournaments in Germany. Look at the schedule in the "Rochade Europa" and often you can find small accommodations with bed and breakfast around 30 Euro (and below). The Deutsche Bahn offers often low budget tariffs so much is possible.

I'm sorry to post off-topic, but one of the best things about Germany is the Deutsche Bahn. If only we had something like it.

The Great Oz has spoken!

IP Logged

Tullius

I Love ChessPublishing!

Reply #3 - 03/05/12 at 21:45:08
Post Tools
I do not see the situation so pessimistic.

At first we have a number problem. Our society is aging. When i went in the school we had around 100 pupils in our age group, today there are only 40-50. Smaller towns and villages will suffer because many people have to move away when they want work and earn money. So i think that the number of chess players will generally decrease and there will be a higher decrease in small communities. But the decrease will not stop at the bottom.

On the other side i see many local trainers have success to recruit youngsters and teach them chess. Even in my little
town it seems possible. We were invited by the local school to organize a school chess group because parents are interested in chess! 

And i still think there are many intersting tournaments in Germany. Look at the schedule in the "Rochade Europa" and often you can find small accommodations with bed and breakfast around 30 Euro (and below). The Deutsche Bahn offers often low budget tariffs so much is possible.

IP Logged

Tricklev

I Love ChessPublishing!

Reply #2 - 03/05/12 at 21:07:48
Post Tools
I think you are drasticly overrating what people used to talk about, and I would also say that you are using your own superficial encounters with strangers (and friends?) to draw conclusion what other people are talking and thinking about.

Chess expensive? To be frank, I can't think of alot of sports or activities cheaper than chess, try to pick up soccer, hockey, swimming, or even volleyboll and you'll quickly realise how cheap chess what. It does take time though, more time than the above mentioned.

There is a decline in the smaller tournaments around here, in the west of sweden, but only in the smaller ones, and not all of them.

IP Logged

battleangel
Ex Member

Reply #1 - 03/05/12 at 19:39:11
Post Tools
the problem really is that chess is also somewhat expensive in terms of time and money ... there are not many tournaments ... and if you want to go there, that means you have to travel and book a hotel ... or you have everyday stress of driving like 100 km one-way in the car ... and then you play like 4 days in a row only chess ... 4 days is just too much ...

also chess is a very individualistic game, players can't take losses, they seem to them as an insult to their intelligence ... in others sports you appreciate other players if they play good and a you are also more likely to accept a loss, but not so in chess ...

also there are not so many awards ... I don't know I am rated 2000 and I won everything there is for me ...
the next step would for me would be to reach 2300 ...
and it's just too far away ... I could get there if I would dedicate myself solely to chess in any of my freetime, but right now I don't really deem this dedication worth it ... there should be more awards ... like everytime you cross 100 points ...

but maybe the times of chess are now over ...
intellectual things happen right now at home in the computer ... world is becoming more and more superficial ... you can't talk with anyone anymore about other things than the weather, the footballclub or superficially about some daily newsevents ... but people don't have any culture anymore ... they just learn enough to get their diploma in things, but they don't develop any culture ... this society has become acultural ... and everything intellectual is just happening inside in your home ... but you don't go outside anymore for this

really sometimes I think it would be better to live in the early 1900's, people did go to coffeehouses to talk about culture, to play chess ... now everyone is living in his virtual worlds ... and only go outside to drink beer or to make vacation ...

IP Logged

battleangel
Ex Member

Future of the chess - Decrease of players?
03/05/12 at 19:29:27
Post Tools
imho. chess is losing a lot of ground lately in the western nations. I live in germany, lately I read in the news that germany is said to have the most chess players who actively participate in a chess federation. But tbh. chess is losing a lot of ground here, from what I see is there is less and less participation of players in regional tournaments, also there are many smaller clubs from villages which don't train any youths, and only have about 20-30 mostly older players ...
tbh. I think we will soon see chess clubs only in bigger towns where the big clubs have the same playercount as they do now.
Tbh. I think one can see this downward trend in all the western nations ...
but I am not sure if it is global, according to the news chess should be attractive for india or turkey ...
but still I am not so sure about it, in an interview with Anand that I saw, the moderator of the interview thought that nowadays in the modern age kids would prefer computergames, etc. to chess and they also would be less inclined to play it ... so I am not really sure if chess in asia is winning ground ...
will chess become one day an onlinegame like backgammon or checkers and you will only play it as one among diffferent games available on boardgame-portals like yahoo?

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 [2] 
Topic Tools
Bookmarks: del.icio.us Digg Facebook Google Google+ Linked in reddit StumbleUpon Twitter Yahoo