Latest Updates:
Normal Topic ...Qc7 ...Rd8 ...Nc6 vs. 8. Rb1 Exchange Gruenfeld (Read 1983 times)
Gilchrist is a legend
God Member

Re: ...Qc7 ...Rd8 ...Nc6 vs. 8. Rb1 Exchange Gruenfeld
Reply #2 - 04/02/12 at 18:51:52
Post Tools
I think most players of 8. Rb1 are spending most of their time studying the 11...Qxa2 lines, where it looks as if Black should have a good game against. Was 9...b6 recommended in a book though? I think it was in Delchev/Agrest's book. It looks fairly decent.

Creo lo que creo no importa lo que creen los demás.

IP Logged

MartinC
God Member

I Love ChessPublishing!

Re: ...Qc7 ...Rd8 ...Nc6 vs. 8. Rb1 Exchange Gruenfeld
Reply #1 - 04/02/12 at 16:59:33
Post Tools
9 .. b6 is in Dearing's 8 Rb1 Grunfeld book but he only mentions the very natural Bb7/Ba6 ideas. If planning Qc7/Rb8 / Nc6 then do have to wonder what b6 is doing for black Smiley White is after d5, not dc.

There is also lots of theory after 8 Rb1 o-o 9 Be2 Nc6 10 d5 and I guess one real question is whether black isn't getting a slightly worse version of this?

Mind you - you might not 'need' to play Nc6 in practice - my database of twics has Sasikiran going 9 .. Qc7 10 o-o Rd8 twice. Krasenkow went d5 right away then c4 to back it up when the knight is obviously happy to go to d7.

IP Logged

George Jempty

Participant 1996 US Corres.
Champ. Qualifying Rd.

...Qc7 ...Rd8 ...Nc6 vs. 8. Rb1 Exchange Gruenfeld
04/02/12 at 16:14:41
Post Tools
Earlier today I beat a strong player on ICC playing 9...b6 against White's Exchange Gruenfeld with 8. Rb1 c5 9. Be2, followed by ...Qc7 ...Rd8 and ...Nc6.  I'm surprised this avoids so much theory.  It doesn't seem like it's because Black doesn't follow up with ...Bb7, because even if he doesn't play 9...b6 and instead starts with 9...Qc7, thereby saving a tempo after ...Rd8 and ...Nc6 for a possible ...Bg4 putting more pressure on d4, there also don't seem to be many games in chesslive.de. 

Is the lack of theory due to some analysis I don't have access to?  I have no material on the Gruenfeld other than Nesis' old book, a friend of mine mentioned ...b6 to me last week as he knew I was switching from the Budapest to the Gruenfeld, and I found ...Qc7 over the board.  If somebody could inform me of where I might find material on this setup for Black, from either point of view (viable, or not, for Black) I'd appreciate it.  Slight edit: In particular I'm interested in the setup *without* the preliminary ...b6 -- this move only seems to make sense in the overall scheme of ...Qc7, ...Rd8 and ...Nc6, if White has played Be3 and d5, as it protects Black's ...c5 pawn

According to my engine it seems like the critical setup for White is Be3 followed by Qd2, which my opponent earlier today found, but against club level competition against which I normally play, I suspect a lot of White players are actually going to want to get their Queens off the d-file due to my ...Rd8.

Thanks in advance .... George
« Last Edit: 04/02/12 at 17:37:49 by George Jempty »  

IP Logged

Bookmarks: del.icio.us Digg Facebook Google Google+ Linked in reddit StumbleUpon Twitter Yahoo