Latest Updates:
Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2 
Topic Tools
Hot Topic (More than 10 Replies) Discuss moderation here. (Read 7179 times)
zoo
Ex Member

Re: Discuss moderation here.
Reply #20 - 05/22/12 at 23:22:45
Post Tools
Isn'it better to have moderator accounts distinct from posters accounts ? I see no reason why such distinct activities should overlap.

IP Logged

MNb
God Member

Rudolf Spielmann forever

Reply #19 - 05/14/12 at 14:04:14
Post Tools
Maybe you'd like to take over the Dragon section from me, GC?

The book had the effect good books usually have: it made the stupids more stupid, the intelligent more intelligent and the other thousands of readers remained unchanged.
GC Lichtenberg

IP Logged

ghenghisclown
God Member

Pedicare Vestri Latin

Reply #18 - 05/13/12 at 18:33:54
Post Tools
Proustiskeen  should be commended. It's very good news for him and the forum. And congrats to TN, too!

"Experience is a dim lamp, which only lights the one who bears it."

IP Logged

GMTonyKosten
YaBB Administrator

Mr Dynamic?

Reply #17 - 05/13/12 at 10:09:53
Post Tools
Thanks to TN and proustiskeen for agreeing to step in as Moderators at short notice! Cheesy
It's a lot of thankless work for little reward (well, I suppose it depends on whether you think a half-price sub to ChessPublishing.com is sufficient compensation for being insulted by other Forum members! Roll Eyes)

IP Logged

ghenghisclown
God Member

Pedicare Vestri Latin

Reply #16 - 05/13/12 at 08:25:05
Post Tools
Matemax wrote on 05/13/12 at 08:11:54:
ghenghisclown wrote on 05/13/12 at 08:02:18:
[

Anyway - I live in the spirit of the "Flower Power Peace Generation". Everybody makes mistakes, cause that's human. I regret if someone hurts you, but does it give you the right to hurt someone? I may be a sentimental and naive idiot, but I believe humanity is the only way to safe us. And it is right here and now to start with - and that's of course including everyone, not only me and you.

No. It doesn't give me the right to hurt someone. I'm not hurt, and I'm not hurting anybody. I'm standing up for what I believe in. He shouldn't be a moderator, or at the very least he should make an effort to change how he does it.

IP Logged

Matemax
God Member

Chesspub gives you strength!

Reply #15 - 05/13/12 at 08:11:54
Post Tools
ghenghisclown wrote on 05/13/12 at 08:02:18:
[

Anyway - I live in the spirit of the "Flower Power Peace Generation". Everybody makes mistakes, cause that's human. I regret if someone hurts you, but does it give you the right to hurt someone? I may be a sentimental and naive idiot, but I believe humanity is the only way to safe us. And it is right here and now to start with - and that's of course including everyone, not only me and you.

IP Logged

ghenghisclown
God Member

Pedicare Vestri Latin

Reply #14 - 05/13/12 at 08:02:18
Post Tools
Matemax wrote on 05/13/12 at 07:43:23:
ghenghisclown wrote on 05/13/12 at 07:35:33:
Hey Markovich, what happened to the rule that said you're not entitled to give offence back when you have been offended?

Don't kick someone already on the floor  Sad - give him a chance to stand up again. Wink

Matemax, this guy deleted nearly an entire post of mine based on little more than he didn't like the way my post looked on his browser! He admitted it to me later. 

He suggested that I was wrong to quote people in making my case, as it was somehow overly argumentative. In other words, I had lots of quotes, no insults, but he deleted me anyway.

Then he (see above) references one message I wrote him and straw mans my actual position ( I let is slide until now) by making it seem I demand a right to insult people back, those that have insulted me. Matemax, do you think I really made such an argument?

Then the guy goes around entertaining new aspects of rules that he makes up because he finds what people write on the internet annoying. Let me repeat, what people write on the internet

I'm sorry. It's too much for me to stay silent.

IP Logged

barnaby

The night is dark and
full of terrors.

Reply #13 - 04/25/12 at 00:00:09
Post Tools
Markovich wrote on 04/22/12 at 23:32:45:
  Nobody comes here to see people trading insults, however deftly framed.

It's cheap entertainment for us proles.   Wink

IP Logged

Markovich
God Member

Reply #12 - 04/22/12 at 23:32:45
Post Tools
Something I would like to call attention to is this important principle: If someone gives offense to you, you do not have the right to give offense back.  One or two people that I have had to moderate have expressed the contrary opinion, and they are wrong.  Nobody comes here to see people trading insults, however deftly framed.

If someone gives you offense, notify the monitor, and it shall be dealt with.  Do not give offense in return, or you risk bringing condemnation upon yourself.

The Great Oz has spoken!

IP Logged

GMTonyKosten
YaBB Administrator

Mr Dynamic?

Reply #11 - 04/11/12 at 20:48:37
Post Tools
I agree with all the support for the moderators. Smiley

IP Logged

Bibs
God Member

Reply #10 - 04/09/12 at 12:26:10
Post Tools
trw wrote on 04/09/12 at 03:42:09:
I don't think its been an ironhand.

Me neither. Just a 'stop the irrelevant drivel if you will, chess theory discussion please'.
Fair play to CraigEvans and Markovich

IP Logged

trw
God Member

I Love ChessPublishing!

Reply #9 - 04/09/12 at 03:42:09
Post Tools
I don't think its been an ironhand.

IP Logged

Göran

ChessPublishing is great!

Reply #8 - 04/08/12 at 13:45:33
Post Tools
The iron glove of the moderators is a prerequisite to maintain the extremely high quality this forum has.
Keep up the good work!

What kind of proof is that?

IP Logged

CraigEvans
God Member

If I can't sacrifice a
pawn, I'll throw my rook
in

Reply #7 - 04/08/12 at 13:00:44
Post Tools
Agreed - I acted out of the interests of avoiding another 14-page discussion on the merits of practical chess. The comment was another along the lines of "But you are only worried about the best moves that your computer finds for you... how many opponents will find these moves??". That seems to be more against the spirit of the forum than my harsh moderation of the post.

I should point out that Markovich has recently edited at least one of my posts on the thread as well when he feels I stray too far... so it isn't a police state, just a fair set of rules for all. We are an opening theory site - any opening can be discussed happily, but when people wish to argue about practical chances whilst ignoring the theory presented, then they are going against the forum's entire purpose!

"Give a man a pawn, and he'll smell a rat. Give a man a piece, and he'll smell a patzer." - Me.

"If others have seen further than me, it is because giants have been standing on my shoulders."
IP Logged

proustiskeen
God Member

Hello from Omaha!

Reply #6 - 04/05/12 at 21:37:10
Post Tools
Free Lev! Wink

I for one wouldn't mind slightly more heavy-handed moderation.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2 
Topic Tools
Bookmarks: del.icio.us Digg Facebook Google Google+ Linked in reddit StumbleUpon Twitter Yahoo