Latest Updates:
Normal Topic The mighty Najdorf or the humble and poor schev? (Read 3896 times)
Gilchrist is a legend
God Member

Re: The mighty Najdorf or the humble and poor schev?
Reply #5 - 05/17/12 at 04:23:38
Post Tools
I think that "delayed Keres Attack" is the Perenyi Attack, which I studied a few years ago. Some of those positions can become extremely irrational, a bit like the Botvinnik Semi-Slav. I would rather play 6. Be3 e5 as Black, and 6. Be3 e6 as White.

Creo lo que creo no importa lo que creen los demás.

IP Logged

Uhohspaghettio
God Member

I Love ChessPublishing!

Reply #4 - 05/16/12 at 22:20:15
Post Tools
I agree, almost every part of the OP including the title is dubious at best.

IP Logged

Gilchrist is a legend
God Member

Reply #3 - 04/15/12 at 04:30:09
Post Tools
I am not sure if the Scheveningen is easier to play. The positions especially in 6. Be2 and 6. f4 can get tense, when pieces might not be traded until move 25, with the structure d6/e6/f7/g6/h7 and the piece formation Bg7/Nd7/Nc6/Bb7/Qc7 (compare with ...e5 lines).

IP Logged

Michael Wilde

Reply #2 - 04/15/12 at 03:50:44
Post Tools
Yes I think the Keres Attack plays a roll...You have that against the Schev. and 6.Bg5 against the Najdorf...I play the Najdor and Scheveningen, mostly e6 set-ups with the Najdorf move order.  I would rather face the delayed Keres Attack than the normal. 

1. e4 c5 2. Nf3 d6 3. d4 cxd4 4. Nxd4 Nf6 5. Nc3 a6 6. Be3 e6 7. g4 e5 8. Nf5 h5

I am pretty comfortable in this position as black...

I prefer the Schev. pawn structue(the small center) in almost all lines.

That being said I have ordered and am awaiting The Scheveningen Move by Move and will be interested to see how the author handles the Keres Attack.

the other thing is some players dont like the aggressive 6.Bg5 move which is not as good against the pure Schev. move order, personally I love playing the black side with the Blood Diamond variation from GM6 and the second edition will cover the DDP variation which looks to be in good shape for black.

I love the Scheveningen, but like using the Najdorf move order to get there, and don't mind at all about the aggressive 6.Bg5.

Cool

"Improvement begins at the edge of your comfort zone."-Jonathan Rowson

IP Logged

Gilchrist is a legend
God Member

Reply #1 - 04/15/12 at 01:50:45
Post Tools
I think it depends on style, especially with regards to the Keres Attack. If you feel comfortable playing against the Keres Attack and only ...e6 systems, then Scheveningen, but you will not be allowed to play the ...e5 systems like in the Najdorf, i.e. 6. Be2 e5, 6. f4 e5, 6. Be3 e5, 6. g3 e5, etc via Scheveningen.

IP Logged

Pingudon

Hi chess friends!!

The mighty Najdorf or the humble and poor schev?
04/15/12 at 01:04:30
Post Tools
The Najdorf is all the fashion. It seems the favorite of the best and strongest GM! It is the favorite of players at any level. But the schevenningen is more solid and easier to play, less theory. Is the Najdorf actually better or is just fashion?

GTalk  
IP Logged

Bookmarks: del.icio.us Digg Facebook Google Google+ Linked in reddit StumbleUpon Twitter Yahoo