Latest Updates:
Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 
Topic Tools
Very Hot Topic (More than 25 Replies) New book: Chess Developments – The Pirc (Read 42046 times)
JEH
God Member

"Football is like Chess,
only without the dice."

Re: New book: Chess Developments – The Pirc
Reply #15 - 06/21/12 at 12:36:15
Post Tools
Vass wrote on 06/21/12 at 10:07:24:
JEH wrote on 06/21/12 at 09:06:21:
Chess is a great hobby  Smiley

...and an arduous profession.  Wink

Ah, small world.

I like to think travelleing to interesting places to win money playing Chess would make up for the occasional afternoon spent suffering with the Pirc  Grin

Those who want to go by my perverse footsteps play such pawn structure with fuzzy atypical still strategic orientations

Clowns to the left of me, jokers to the right, stuck in the middlegame with you

IP Logged

Vass
God Member

I Love ChessPublishing!

Reply #14 - 06/21/12 at 10:07:24
Post Tools
JEH wrote on 06/21/12 at 09:06:21:

...and an arduous profession.  Wink
I'm glad to hear about an old friend of mine. We played in various tournaments some twenty years ago. And his favourite band was Roxette.. Eeeh, memories!.. Then he chose chess as his profession while I went my way..
Anyway, back on topic - 20 years later I see him playing Modern, Caro-Cann with ...g6 (and sometimes Pirc) even against much stronger opponents. Which is not very common at this level..  Wink

IP Logged

JEH
God Member

"Football is like Chess,
only without the dice."

Reply #13 - 06/21/12 at 09:06:21
Post Tools
I am very much looking forward to this book, being a Pirc player for decades, and having been hugely impressed by Vigus's Pirc in Black and White.

It's been a long while since we got a "New Ideas in the Pirc", rather than just a repertoire book, or a coverage of the whole opening.

Interesting to see this concept being expanded in a "New Developments" series, espcially for me with the choice of the first one. Ah, if only there was a website with current games annotated by top players that I could keep in touch with latest developments from monthly updates. I guess I can only dream...

One of the sample games evoked some nice memories for me. I was playing in the Vienna Open in 2011. Beautiful city. Superb tournament. Highly recommended.

On one of the day trips organised for the players, we were approached by this chap asking if we knew somewhere he could watch the Arsenal game. Obviously being English, in any foreign city, we would know such a thing. And as it happens, we did. So we hooked up with him to go and watch it later. Turns out he was Bulgarian Grandmaster Marjan Petrov, and he was a big Arsenal fan. Really nice guy, and we watched his progress in the tournament with interest.

One of the sample games given is Khenkin - Petrov, Vienna 2011. I watched this game live, from about around the time of the exchange sacrifice, and I had no idea who was winning  Shocked. Khenkin was favoirite for the tournament at that point, and so this win was key to Marjan winning the tournament. Nice to play though this game with Vigus's notes and now see what was going on.

Those who want to go by my perverse footsteps play such pawn structure with fuzzy atypical still strategic orientations

IP Logged

PatzerKing

I Love ChessPublishing!

Reply #12 - 06/20/12 at 21:00:29
Post Tools
Hi,

an excerpt of an ebook sample is published:
http://www.everymanchess.com/chess/books/Chess_Developments%3A_The_Pirc

These are the contents:
Chapter One: Austrian Attack with 5...c5
Chapter One: Austrian Attack with 5...0-0
Chapter Three: The Classical Variation
Chapter Four: White plays 4.Be3
Chapter Five: The Byrne Variation
Chapter Six: The Fianchetto Variation

I am happy with the selection of the different variations although I would be interested which lines/setup james Vigus analyzes after 4.Le3.
Anyway it seems that he did a good job.
What is your opinion?

IP Logged

Glenn Snow
God Member

Reply #11 - 05/09/12 at 19:52:50
Post Tools
In addition to the variations mentioned above, I hope the Accelerated Classical variations are covered.  We've discussed the variation proposed by Dzindzi before and I think they're still critical and unresolved.

IP Logged

Bibs
God Member

Reply #10 - 04/23/12 at 12:48:29
Post Tools
MNb wrote on 04/22/12 at 20:48:59:
PatzerKing wrote on 04/22/12 at 17:54:41:
I would like to ask you what you think in which shape the Austrian Attack is and which setup you would play with Black?

Sorry, but I have to disappoint you. I only play the Pirc as White and invariably begin with 4.Be3. Since I traded 4.f3 for this I never had the chance to play the Austrian Attack in a delayed version.
So I'm only qualified to opine on the Argentinean.

I would play the Austrian Tiger/Svidler style.
Only via the Modern.

IP Logged

MNb
God Member

Rudolf Spielmann forever

Reply #9 - 04/22/12 at 20:48:59
Post Tools
PatzerKing wrote on 04/22/12 at 17:54:41:
I would like to ask you what you think in which shape the Austrian Attack is and which setup you would play with Black?

Sorry, but I have to disappoint you. I only play the Pirc as White and invariably begin with 4.Be3. Since I traded 4.f3 for this I never had the chance to play the Austrian Attack in a delayed version.
So I'm only qualified to opine on the Argentinean.

The book had the effect good books usually have: it made the stupids more stupid, the intelligent more intelligent and the other thousands of readers remained unchanged.
GC Lichtenberg

IP Logged

PatzerKing

I Love ChessPublishing!

Reply #8 - 04/22/12 at 17:54:41
Post Tools
Hi MNb,

thanks for your very honest and instructive statement. It is also interesting to hear that you contributed the DW book to find the best move for White.
18…Sf8!? looks at least interesting from first point of view, I will have a look at it. I totally agree with you that 4…c6 leads to other problems (move-order-issues, Archbishop Attack,…). This is the reason why I started with the Modern move-order against all the Be3-stuff, which you also mentioned. I also don´t like the Be3,Be2,g2-g4-stuff against 4…c6 because I like to play d6-d5 against it and c7-c6-c5 is a loss of tempo.
One word to the Archbishop Attack which I never faced on the board (because of the Modern move-order):  I opened my repertoire database and saw that I looked at the games “Jerez Perez,A (2388)-Torrecillas Martinez,A (2380)/Barcelona 2009”, “Visser,Y (2445)-Pel,B (2284)/Leeuwarden 2004 with 10…exd4” as a way to handle the variation. Although it is a very dangerous variation for Black, I also had the feeling that White has overextended his position a little bit.

Thanks again for your statement and let´s see which contents will be covered in Mr. Vigus´ book.

IP Logged

MNb
God Member

Rudolf Spielmann forever

Reply #7 - 04/21/12 at 20:12:59
Post Tools
[quote][Pirc with 4 Be3 [u]a6[/u]] [i]s equally hard if White transposes to the Austrian ...[/quote]
[quote author=5152585E3F0 link=1335001228/6#6 date=1335020119]You mean with 5 f4? What then on 5 ...b5? I can't see many examples (for whatever reason!).[/quote]
Or by 5.h3 Bg7 6.f4.

[quote]Michael wants to play ...a6 against everything ...[/quote][quote author=5152585E3F0 link=1335001228/6#6 date=1335020119]Not at all! -- see my question in the 'd6 repertoire' thread ...
[/quote]
Well, I'm exaggerating. But you áre quite fond of that ...a6 move (not that there is anything wrong with that fondness) and thus you are willing to allow all kind of transpositions. I don't think all Pirc-players do.

The book had the effect good books usually have: it made the stupids more stupid, the intelligent more intelligent and the other thousands of readers remained unchanged.
GC Lichtenberg

IP Logged

Michael Ayton
God Member

‘You’re never alone with
a doppelgänger.’

Reply #6 - 04/21/12 at 14:55:19
Post Tools
[quote][Pirc with 4 Be3 [u]a6[/u]] [i]s equally hard if White transposes to the Austrian ...[/quote]
You mean with 5 f4? What then on 5 ...b5? I can't see many examples (for whatever reason!).

[quote]Michael wants to play ...a6 against everything ...[/quote]
Not at all! -- see my question in the 'd6 repertoire' thread ...

IP Logged

MNb
God Member

Rudolf Spielmann forever

Reply #5 - 04/21/12 at 13:41:06
Post Tools
PatzerKing wrote on 04/21/12 at 09:40:28:
The line "B2" mentioned in the Dangerous Weapon book p. 24 is almost lost after 22.b3! instead of 22.f6.

Black is completely lost after 22.b3! I am to blame for this omission as I have contributed to the original analysis. My task - and I learned quite a lot - was to find White's best moves. Alas I only found 22.b3! after I received the book. IM Vigus no doubt will offer the improvement 18...Nf8, which we analysed too. All I can say here is that my verdict is unclear.

It is also not easy to get the Donner Formation working in this variation.

No, it's impossible due to 8.Bh6 Nbd7 9.Bxg7 Kxg7 10.e5! De la Villa Garcia-Gracia Campo, Benaresque 1998.

So castling into it seems very dangerous for me

Well, yes, that's kind of the point of castling. There is a reason I score about 80% as White. IM Sarno with no doubt prepares his games very carefully, walking the tightrope, inviting White to join him only to hit back hard ....
Remember that 8.h4 iso 8.Bh6 is equally sharp and dangerous. 8.g4 and 8.Kb1 are inferior. I think IM Vigus is too pessimistic on diagram 26. White can't make progress, has a lame Bishop on f1 while Black gradually builds up an attack.

and 4…c6 could be the way to go.

Then White may chose 4.h3 and 5.g4 (The Archbishop Attack) or 4.h3 and 5.f4 (White argues that this is an improved version of the Austrian Attack). Moreover you have committed yourself to ...c6 lines against all kind of other stuff, like the Classical and the 150-Attack.

1.e4 d6 2.d4 Nf6 3.Nc3 g6
Michael Ayton wrote on 04/21/12 at 10:26:18:
4 Be3 a6!? is one obvious suggestion ...

Is equally hard if White transposes to the Austrian while the Ujtelky Defence 1.e4 g6 2.d4 Bg7 3.Nc3 d6 4.Be3 a6 5.f4 isn't that easy either. In fact ...Nf6 invites e4-e5, which is thematic anyway. Of course White also can play the Argentinean with 5.h4 eg Nf6 6.f3 or a Pseudo-Argentinean with 5.Qd2 keeping options open.
Not to mention that 4...a6 even more restricts Black's options if White choses something else, like a Classical. You will have to rework your entire repertoire. Michael wants to play ...a6 against everything, so for him it's no big deal.

PatzerKing wrote on 04/21/12 at 10:43:49:
I often start with the Modern and then I choose if I transpose to the Pirc or follow the Modern line.

The best way to defuse the Argentinean Attack then is 1.e4 g6 2.d4 Bg7 3.Nc3 d6 4.Be3 c6 eg 5.Qd2 Nd7 6.h4 h5 7.Nh3 b5 8.Ng5 Nb6 9.f3 Rb8 eg Georgiev-Peev, BULch Sofia 1985. The Bishop on g7 is more important for Black's counterplay than the King's Knight.
You could also look at Matsuura-De Resende, Aracatuba 1998, where Black played 7...Bxh3.
Of course there is 6.Bd3 and 6.Nf3 when I suggest e5.

What I'd like to see is a thorough examination of the aggressive 4.Be3 variations. But I can't ask that from a book written from Black's point of view, I guess.

GC Lichtenberg

IP Logged

Vass
God Member

I Love ChessPublishing!

Reply #4 - 04/21/12 at 11:38:54
Post Tools
Austrian Attack with 6.Be3: This is covered in Andrew Greet´s book “Beating the unusual chess defenses: 1.e4”. He did a good job and it is not easy to find a good line against it.

Indeed. I am about to win a game with white following his recommendations in my correspondence chess tries.  Wink
Thanks goes to Mr Greet for now!  Cool

IP Logged

PatzerKing

I Love ChessPublishing!

Reply #3 - 04/21/12 at 10:43:49
Post Tools
[quote author=74777D7B1A0 link=1335001228/2#2 date=1335003978][quote]So I am asking the other Pirc/Modern fellows what you want to see in his new book. [/quote]

4 Be3 a6!? is one obvious suggestion ...[/quote]

That is a good suggestion. I often start with the Modern and then I choose if I transpose to the Pirc or follow the Modern line. 4.Be3 a6!? would perfectly fit this strategy.

IP Logged

Michael Ayton
God Member

‘You’re never alone with
a doppelgänger.’

Reply #2 - 04/21/12 at 10:26:18
Post Tools
[quote]So I am asking the other Pirc/Modern fellows what you want to see in his new book. [/quote]

4 Be3 a6!? is one obvious suggestion ...

IP Logged

JEH
God Member

"Football is like Chess,
only without the dice."

Reply #1 - 04/21/12 at 10:13:34
Post Tools
Hi,

Everyman chess announced a new book „Chess Developments – The Pirc“ for July ´12 by James Vigus.

Smiley  Smiley       Smiley

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 
Topic Tools
Bookmarks: del.icio.us Digg Facebook Google Google+ Linked in reddit StumbleUpon Twitter Yahoo