Latest Updates:
Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2 3 4
Topic Tools
Very Hot Topic (More than 25 Replies) New book: Chess Developments – The Pirc (Read 39149 times)
GabrielGale

Who was Thursday?

Re: New book: Chess Developments – The Pirc
Reply #45 - 09/09/13 at 23:18:13
Post Tools
JEH wrote on 09/09/13 at 12:00:18:
James Vigus wrote on 09/09/13 at 09:30:22:
Indeed ...b5 can be unexpectedly weakening

This is a nice youTube channel.

I will second that as well. Looks like St Louis has got its act together and started to provide all these "educational" stuff free on youtube. They did no have these in the initial years. Not sure whether Yasser Seirawan had anything to do with this as he was appointed St Louis 2nd GM-in-residence last year.

In any event, good to see the money is being spent on the mere patzers and common woodpushers as well as the elite chessplayers.

http://www.toutautre.blogspot.com/
A Year With Nessie ...... aka GM John Shaw's The King's Gambit (http://thekinggambit.blogspot.com.au/)

IP Logged

JEH
God Member

"Football is like Chess,
only without the dice."

Reply #44 - 09/09/13 at 12:00:18
Post Tools
James Vigus wrote on 09/09/13 at 09:30:22:
Indeed ...b5 can be unexpectedly weakening

This game highlights the weakening of the c5 square due to b5, aggravated after e5 and the exchange dxe, so Seirawan seems to be recommending e6 with some flexible crouching.

When Ivanchuk's bishop lands on c5 and causes problems for where Kramnik's rook needs to go, it's mostly downhill from there.

This is a nice youTube channel.

Those who want to go by my perverse footsteps play such pawn structure with fuzzy atypical still strategic orientations

Clowns to the left of me, jokers to the right, stuck in the middlegame with you

IP Logged

James Vigus

I Love ChessPublishing!

Reply #43 - 09/09/13 at 09:30:22
Post Tools
Thanks for this, JEH. When I first played through Ivanchuk-Kramnik I thought K should have played 10...e6, as Seirawan recommends, but then felt he'd have rejected it due to 11 e5 dxe5 12 Nxe5 (not considered by Seirawan) and now 12...Nxe5 would be a dodgy exchange sacrifice because of Bf3 and Ba7. Indeed ...b5 can be unexpectedly weakening and is often held back in the similar Classical line with 6...e6. Disclaimer: I haven't checked this with an engine.

IP Logged

JEH
God Member

"Football is like Chess,
only without the dice."

Reply #42 - 09/07/13 at 17:29:54
Post Tools
kylemeister wrote on 09/05/13 at 14:08:28:
Speaking of the 1970s, I seem to recall 9...Qb4 receiving some consideration in The Pirc Defence by Keene and Botterill.

Hmm, not sure what the opposite idea of Chess Developments is. How about "Chess Archaeology - The Pirc", trying to dig up old ideas and make them fly  Cool

Here's another nice Seirawan video on the Pirc, where he covers what will probably be the most infamous Pirc game of 2013, Ivanchuk vs. Kramnik from the Candidates. These early a6 ideas in the Pirc are quite interesting, and also very interesting to see how Seirawan thinks Kramnik's play could be improved.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g1gWIfVajlM

Those who want to go by my perverse footsteps play such pawn structure with fuzzy atypical still strategic orientations

IP Logged

kylemeister
God Member

Reply #41 - 09/05/13 at 14:08:28
Post Tools
Speaking of the 1970s, I seem to recall 9...Qb4 receiving some consideration in The Pirc Defence by Keene and Botterill.

IP Logged

JEH
God Member

"Football is like Chess,
only without the dice."

Reply #40 - 09/05/13 at 13:41:59
Post Tools
Thanks for the link James. I'm always interested in material on the Pirc, and I love listening to Seirawan. Fascinating to get an insight into his prep in the pre-computer era. I'm often wondering how to find "abandoned" ideas that can be revisited under modern scrutiny.

I'd not seen his audacious pawn grab idea before. It looks very dangerous for Black. But it seems it might be playable, but not for the exchange sac (variation below), where Black might have some practical chances, but for the line he abandons after Rxe7 (mainline below) which seems to lead to full compensation for the pawn sac for Black.

IP Logged

James Vigus

I Love ChessPublishing!

Reply #39 - 09/05/13 at 07:42:00
Post Tools
Interesting to see that Seirawan says that the Pirc is, or used to be, his favourite opening. The line he analyses in this new video is dubious according to the engines, as he admits at the end, but seems worth exploring: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EJmjt9GGhA8
I'm curious about the fact that he suggests 1970s theoreticians were unanimous about 4 f4 Bg7 5 Nf3 c5 6 dxc5 being the critical line against the Pirc...

IP Logged

Glenn Snow
God Member

Reply #38 - 10/23/12 at 01:23:58
Post Tools
[quote author=625A5B465B5B505952350 link=1335001228/37#37 date=1350952432][quote author=46454F49280 link=1335001228/29#29 date=1346942328]Anyone got any more thoughts on this? I'd be interested to know if 4 Be3 c6!? is still considered to be under a cloud owing to the 'Archbishop Attack'. I was looking at this the other day and wondering whether 5 h3 Nbd7 6 g4 b5 7 a3 [u]Nb6[/u] (as mentioned by Rowson somewhere on ChessPub) is so bad for Black. At any rate can this be [i]more[/i] thankless than the grim-seeming 4 ...Bg7 5 Qd2 c6 6 Bh6 Bh6 7 Qh6 Qa5 8 Bd3 c5 9 d5?[/quote]

In TPIBAW Vigus also mentions 6.a4!? although I don't think he gives any analysis.  I can't remember at the moment if Rowson looked at this too.
[/quote]

Ok, I stopped being so lazy and I found that Watson had covered this possibility on Chesspublishing, giving an intriguing and dynamic idea for Black in the notes.

IP Logged

Glenn Snow
God Member

Reply #37 - 10/23/12 at 00:33:52
Post Tools
[quote author=46454F49280 link=1335001228/29#29 date=1346942328]Anyone got any more thoughts on this? I'd be interested to know if 4 Be3 c6!? is still considered to be under a cloud owing to the 'Archbishop Attack'. I was looking at this the other day and wondering whether 5 h3 Nbd7 6 g4 b5 7 a3 [u]Nb6[/u] (as mentioned by Rowson somewhere on ChessPub) is so bad for Black. At any rate can this be [i]more[/i] thankless than the grim-seeming 4 ...Bg7 5 Qd2 c6 6 Bh6 Bh6 7 Qh6 Qa5 8 Bd3 c5 9 d5?[/quote]

In TPIBAW Vigus also mentions 6.a4!? although I don't think he gives any analysis.  I can't remember at the moment if Rowson looked at this too.

IP Logged

Michel Barbaut

Do. Or do not. There is
no try

Reply #36 - 10/01/12 at 17:41:37
Post Tools
The Perfect Pirc-modern: Strategic Ideas & Powerful Weapons by Viktor Moskalenko ... from New In Chess in March 2013.
I know those French books ... so it looks like very interesting book .... just wait!

IP Logged

JEH
God Member

"Football is like Chess,
only without the dice."

Reply #35 - 09/14/12 at 18:42:24
Post Tools
Markovich wrote on 09/14/12 at 14:30:21:
It's weird this came up, because for the past two weeks, I've been poring over Vigus's earlier book.

P.S. I can explain the wierdness. I've been poring over books on 1. ...e5 and the Tarrasch, and so the Universe is kept in balance.

IP Logged

Vass
God Member

I Love ChessPublishing!

Reply #34 - 09/14/12 at 16:00:33
Post Tools
It seems to me that there are quite a few systems that tend to lead, with good play by both, to positions where White enjoys some advantage but which are sufficiently dynamic that Black can hope to win. I think the Pirc is one of them.

Indeed! That's why Ivanchuk, for example, use it. I saw even Kramnik played it on rapid tournaments. And other high class players, too..  Wink

IP Logged

JEH
God Member

"Football is like Chess,
only without the dice."

Reply #33 - 09/14/12 at 15:56:37
Post Tools
It seems to me that there are quite a few systems that tend to lead, with good play by both, to positions where White enjoys some advantage but which are sufficiently dynamic that Black can hope to win. I think the Pirc is one of them.

I've been playing the Pirc for decades, and I think this is a fair assessment. If you can't decide whether 1. ...e5 or 1...c5 is best, you can get to play ideas from both.

When I look at Breyer lines where the Bishop wiggles back from e7 to g7 to get a position like a classical Pirc, I wonder if it should have gone there earlier  Wink

My first opening was the Dragon, but I switched to the Pirc because it seems Dragon like, but without the theory. Thing is though, it's got quite a lot of its own theory.

The downside of the Pirc move order is allowing the critical Austrian 4. f4 and direct gung ho attacks on the weakened dark squares around King position, most critically with 4. Be3.

But still, Black has a choice of ways of dealing with those. It's game on.

IP Logged

Markovich
God Member

Reply #32 - 09/14/12 at 14:30:21
Post Tools
It's weird this came up, because for the past two weeks, I've been poring over Vigus's earlier book. I don't know enough to say whether it's too optimistic, but I do observe that it is rather frank about the problems facing Black, even in the variations it recommends to him. I certainly will buy Vigus's next book as soon as it becomes available; he has authored some of the best opening books of which I know, and I doubt that this one will be an exception.

The Great Oz has spoken!

IP Logged

Michael Ayton
God Member

‘You’re never alone with
a doppelgänger.’

Reply #31 - 09/06/12 at 16:43:11
Post Tools
Hi James and great to hear from you on the thread! Yes, I noticed McNab allows this stuff -- is he a masochist?!

Do you have a view on Rowson's anti-Archbishop 7 ...Nb6? Haven't explored deeply but some messing about with engines suggested Black could have counterplay ...

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2 3 4
Topic Tools
Bookmarks: del.icio.us Digg Facebook Google Google+ Linked in reddit StumbleUpon Twitter Yahoo