Latest Updates:
Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 
Topic Tools
Very Hot Topic (More than 25 Replies) New book: Chess Developments – The Pirc (Read 42038 times)
James Vigus

I Love ChessPublishing!

Re: New book: Chess Developments – The Pirc
Reply #30 - 09/06/12 at 16:30:35
Post Tools
I'm due to write a couple of updates on this book in the coming year, so will keep an occasional eye on this thread for any ideas/requests. Michael, the line you mention does indeed seem quite grim to me, but McNab continues to allow it (as have even stronger players), so it may be too early to write off Black's resources completely. MartinC, fair point about over-punctuation!!!

IP Logged

Michael Ayton
God Member

‘You’re never alone with
a doppelgänger.’

Reply #29 - 09/06/12 at 14:38:48
Post Tools
Anyone got any more thoughts on this? I'd be interested to know if 4 Be3 c6!? is still considered to be under a cloud owing to the 'Archbishop Attack'. I was looking at this the other day and wondering whether 5 h3 Nbd7 6 g4 b5 7 a3 [u]Nb6[/u] (as mentioned by Rowson somewhere on ChessPub) is so bad for Black. At any rate can this be [i]more[/i] thankless than the grim-seeming 4 ...Bg7 5 Qd2 c6 6 Bh6 Bh6 7 Qh6 Qa5 8 Bd3 c5 9 d5?

IP Logged

MartinC
God Member

I Love ChessPublishing!

Reply #28 - 08/30/12 at 08:37:51
Post Tools
Well then get to it Smiley There's no doubt lots of ammunition in the databases on that position after 7 d5. Detailed computer analysis maybe not a huge help but plans will be.

In fact he (explicitly!) doesn't cover 6.. c5 7 d5 in TPIBW either, because it's not strictly a pirc then. Given the number of other viable options vs the classical covered in detail not worrying.

As for the overall viability of the Pirc, it clearly is in decent health or you wouldn't see so many 2700's using it in the book Wink It's not the sort of opening that'll ever yield clear cut sorts of equality though.

IP Logged

parisestmagique

I Love ChessPublishing!

Reply #27 - 08/29/12 at 18:06:33
Post Tools
Basis is analysis and experience (after a lost game with black in this exact position) but i am supposed to find new paths for Black and not to give hints for White.

IP Logged

kylemeister
God Member

Reply #26 - 08/29/12 at 17:01:45
Post Tools
I wonder what the basis is for saying that 11. h3 is "! +=".  News to me.

(I also wonder why old book moves like 5. Be2 and 6...c5 are "!?", but it seems to be the trend.)

Some sources have thought that that Schmid position after 7. d5 shouldn't lead to advantage for White after 7...Na6 or 7...e6.

IP Logged

parisestmagique

I Love ChessPublishing!

Reply #25 - 08/29/12 at 16:44:14
Post Tools
If "both sides can go wrong and if it's more important for Pirc players than the objective evalution." i dont know what to discuss here about the analysis given in this book and the shape of the Pirc defense ... What's your first move after c5!? d5!

IP Logged

Stigma
God Member

There is a crack in everything.

Reply #24 - 08/29/12 at 13:54:51
Post Tools
How exactly does White get an advantage in the Schmid Benoni? I've struggled a lot with White in these positions, so much so that I've taken it up as Black via precisely this 6...c5 7.d5 move order. White has to watch all these pawn breaks that are not easy to contain: ...b5, ...e6, ...f5...

At least it's an unbalanced pawn structure where both sides can go wrong, which is often more important for Pirc players than the objective evalution.

Improvement begins at the edge of your comfort zone. -Jonathan Rowson

IP Logged

MartinC
God Member

I Love ChessPublishing!

Reply #23 - 08/29/12 at 13:11:06
Post Tools
But it's not meant to be a comprehensive book Smiley Just new things. To get comprehensive you need to twin it with the pirc in black and white.

If the theory of 7 d5 had changed notably then he'd likely have included something. As it happens it seems like the best recent game with 7 d5 was Gashimov winning nicely, so that's what you get Wink

It's made quite clear that you've got to work out if you like the position after 7 d5 out for yourself.

The one thing which struck me most actually was simply the names using this stuff as black - lots of games from very serious players. Rather more so than I remember seeing in TPIBW.

IP Logged

parisestmagique

I Love ChessPublishing!

Reply #22 - 08/29/12 at 11:45:36
Post Tools
One exemple of many others, after 1.e4 d6 2.d4 Nf6 3.Nc3 g6 4.Nf3 Bg7 5.Be2 0-0 6.0-0 Bg4 7.Be3 Nc6 8.Qd2 e5 9.d5 Ne7 10.Rad1 Bd7 he only gives 11.Ne1 but 11.h3! += is not analysed. And in the line 6 ... c5!? (Vigus) he analyse 7.dxc5 but only a extract of a game with 7.d5! and Bg4 witch is +=.

IP Logged

Bibs
God Member

Reply #21 - 08/29/12 at 02:12:34
Post Tools
@Parisestmagique
Please give examples of why you think it is too optimistic.

@MartinC
Yeah, James Vigus and myself have discussed this over the years. ever since I got really battered by Nakamura.

I suggest avoiding the h6, g5 stuff, just get on with c6, b5 etc. Book covers this well.

IP Logged

MartinC
God Member

I Love ChessPublishing!

Reply #20 - 08/28/12 at 15:59:43
Post Tools
From the way I remember my impressions of the book, if he's being too optimistic for black after 4 Bg5 then black should just resign on the spot Wink iirc after 4 Be3 he also kind of shoots down a previous idea of his from the pirc in black and white.

It's not meant to be showing you how to get a good game vs anything of course. Just updating his previous (really rather good) work.

IP Logged

parisestmagique

I Love ChessPublishing!

Reply #19 - 08/28/12 at 14:44:34
Post Tools
Hy Pirc players ! I bought the book but did not found how to get a good game with Black against the Classical variation 5.Be2!?(Karpov) The agressiv 4.Be3!? (Kasparov) or the terrific 4.Bg5! (Byrne). It seems to me that the book is too much optimistic for Black.

IP Logged

Vass
God Member

I Love ChessPublishing!

Reply #18 - 06/28/12 at 06:34:57
Post Tools
From the pdf-excerpt:
"...only the white repertoire work by Andrew Greet has made any significant impact on Pirc theory. By far the most useful source has been the ChessPublishing website, where John Watson has put the Pirc (and TPIBAW) under the microscope in many updates. I contributed some updates as Watson’s guest, and since then Pirc annotations on this website have appeared by grandmasters Neil McDonald, Milos Pavlovic and Gawain Jones."
James Vigus,
Rimini, June 2012
------------------
Yes!..  Wink

IP Logged

PatzerKing

I Love ChessPublishing!

Reply #17 - 06/27/12 at 15:58:19
Post Tools
A pdf-excerpt is available. It is an overview which lines are analyzed within the Austrian Attack with 5...0-0.
It covers everything that I have expected. Looks very good to me.

http://www.everymanchess.com/chess/books/Chess_Developments%3A_The_Pirc

IP Logged

Alias
God Member

Reply #16 - 06/21/12 at 14:42:17
Post Tools
JEH wrote on 06/21/12 at 09:06:21:
Interesting to see this concept being expanded in a "New Developments" series, espcially for me with the choice of the first one. Ah, if only there was a website with current games annotated by top players that I could keep in touch with latest developments from monthly updates. I guess I can only dream...

http://www.chesspublishing.com/content/6/index.htm ; Wink

Don't check me with no lightweight stuff.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 
Topic Tools
Bookmarks: del.icio.us Digg Facebook Google Google+ Linked in reddit StumbleUpon Twitter Yahoo