Latest Updates:
Normal Topic The Benkö Gambit in CC tournament game (Read 3509 times)
Ludde

So much theory..so little
time

Re: The Benkö Gambit in CC tournament game
Reply #3 - 05/07/12 at 21:53:55
Post Tools
I played the same line as black recently in CC. I deviated from your line with 15...Qd7 and after 16.a4 Rfb8 17.Qc2 Ra7 18.Ra3 Qf5!? (with the funny point 19.e4 Qxf2+ and black forces a draw) the game was eventually drawn. Even though I think that black equalized it was hard work to make that happen, and I never felt I had any real winning chances in CC. In an OTB game though it would definitely be play for all three results. In general I think that if white does not play Rb1 and allows this line black should be able to hold the balance.

IP Logged

Caissafan
YaBB Newbies

I Love ChessPublishing
... sometimes!

Reply #2 - 05/05/12 at 10:34:51
Post Tools
Thank you for a first smoking signal, I put in a note in my annotations for future.
On the other hand: 9...Nbd7 was played in 12 of 14 games in a CC 2450+ games archive and in 10 of 13 games in a GM 2650+ games archive since 2005, and was confirmed by own large analysis where I analysed 8 alternatives except 9...Nfd7.

My main point: were it not worth to search for positions by chesspublishing.com as mentioned in my game notation, and as Alterman recommended?

Amici sumus!

IP Logged

whatteaux

Reply #1 - 05/05/12 at 02:22:45
Post Tools
Pedersen in Play the Benko Gambit (Everyman, 2011) recommends 9...Nfd7 followed by ...Nb6 and ...N8d7 instead of 9...Nbd7 (based on an article by Sergey Kasparov in New in Chess Yearbook #94). Might be worth a try.

IP Logged

Caissafan
YaBB Newbies

I Love ChessPublishing
... sometimes!

The Benkö Gambit in CC tournament game
05/04/12 at 22:03:39
Post Tools
Hi Glenn,
it seems there are some difficulties emailing to you. That's why in this way ...

While preparing another recent CC tournament I chose this time the Benkö Gambit without any own experience, just wishing to surprise my opponent.
But I got into a pretty mess although using Alterman's recent book on the Benkö Gambit and all chesspublishing.com analysis.
Please, have a look on my game as enclosed, with comments.
What do you think about my play in the game so far?
I wished you could do something on the Benkö Gambit, especially some search after reaching significant positions as mentioned below.

Again: I suggest to start some searching at specific positions as e.g. Alterman does refer to. At time chesspublishing.com's searching stops where Alterman suggest to start!

I do hope the best
belka
« Last Edit: 05/05/12 at 18:20:37 by Caissafan »  

Amici sumus!

IP Logged

Bookmarks: del.icio.us Digg Facebook Google Google+ Linked in reddit StumbleUpon Twitter Yahoo