Latest Updates:
Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 [2] 3 
Topic Tools
Very Hot Topic (More than 25 Replies) Markovich steps down as Moderator (Read 21384 times)
Jay

Re: Markovich steps down as Moderator
Reply #20 - 05/13/12 at 21:00:05
Post Tools
Viceroy wrote on 05/13/12 at 12:42:44:
Markovich, you don't have to bother replying on this thread, a pm will do.

I suspect based on only one potentially negative interaction among many positive with Markovich what irritated some posters.  Correcting a user in a forum instead of a PM is like using a chainsaw when a scalpel is needed.  Try PM first.  And don't resign.  Chessplayers can be crabby, combatative.  Take us with a grain of salt and we will try to do the same.

IP Logged

ghenghisclown
God Member

Pedicare Vestri Latin

Reply #19 - 05/13/12 at 18:24:44
Post Tools
I don't want to take over the forum. In fact, I welcome moderation from SmyslovFan and now Proustiskeen!

This for me is about consistency and having a good logical basis for doing things. "I don't like it" is not  a good basis.

And I didn't send you (Markovich) hate mail. Yes, I got angry...AFTER you explained you deleted me because of YOUR browser issue. You didn't like all the colors. You just happened to be doing this to someone who disagreed with you. The thread post had no insults. You just deleted it because:

You didn't like the optics in your browser.

After having done the damage and realizing the conflict of interest, you abandoned moderating that thread. That's an admission of what went wrong.

So I think I have a point.

"Experience is a dim lamp, which only lights the one who bears it."

IP Logged

Viceroy

Reply #18 - 05/13/12 at 13:32:01
Post Tools
Markovich,

no worries, we all make mistakes.

IP Logged

Markovich
God Member

Reply #17 - 05/13/12 at 13:25:06
Post Tools
Sorry.  I am confusing you with someone else.

My apologies.

The Great Oz has spoken!

IP Logged

Viceroy

Reply #16 - 05/13/12 at 12:42:44
Post Tools
Quote:
I don't understand your post, but it is clear that you don't run a Forum!

Mr kosten, I think you are being deliberately obtuse; and we are talking Shawshank Redemption! Still, your forum, do whatever you think best.

Markovich,

Quote:
people sending me hate mail (e.g... Viceroy

Sorry, but I think you are confusing me with someone else. We did exchange a few pms about 2 years ago concerning linguistics. I thought it was quite a pleasant exchange of views, with some humor from both sides and we came quite close to agreement. FWIW it was about the word whilst.

Your last line of your pm to me said:Fundamentally though I accept your point that it's a cultural difference and not worth arguing about.

I replied: I concur.

I don't think that could be considered hate mail. Smiley

Markovich, you don't have to bother replying on this thread, a pm will do. (if you feel like replying, of course Grin.) But, I feel I had to correct this, as I detest hate mail and anyone who sends it. I have never posted anything, anywhere, that I wouldn't say to someone's face.

IP Logged

Markovich
God Member

Reply #15 - 05/13/12 at 10:34:07
Post Tools
Jupp53 wrote on 05/13/12 at 09:41:17:
I didn't find the meaning of "OCD". [If it's the DSM-IV diagnosis it's a self-offending post in terms of striking intellectual underperforming. Or is it about running barefoot?]

So what's it about? Restricting citations is good. Killing a moderator is bad.

It wasn't "OMG" by itself, it was just the continual carping and sniping by a few people, a small handful of  of whom would happly take the forum to hell if given free rein (e.g. Gambit and Ghengisclown), people sending me hate mail (e.g. the Ghengisclown and Viceroy); the surety of some people who have not had to moderate anything that they know much better how to moderate; my own occupation with a chess website project of my own (online in the next 60 days); and my general sense that the game here really isn't worth the candle.

You do have a forum here that pretty much polices itself, but there are a few people, you can just about count them on one hand, whose viciousness, immaturity and disregard for decency requires a strong hand.

Anyway I'm done with it.  I'll still post now and then.  I will not, however, respond to the heated reply that any trifling offense to Ghengisclown inevitably generates.  One of the advantages of not being a moderator is that you can put someone on your "hide" list.

The Great Oz has spoken!

IP Logged

GMTonyKosten
YaBB Administrator

Mr Dynamic?

Reply #14 - 05/13/12 at 10:04:56
Post Tools
Viceroy wrote on 05/12/12 at 23:32:22:
here's a tip: make sure they understand the difference between moderate and dominate.

I don't understand your post, but it is clear that you don't run a Forum! Roll Eyes

IP Logged

Jupp53
God Member

be

Reply #13 - 05/13/12 at 09:41:17
Post Tools
I didn't find the meaning of "OCD". [If it's the DSM-IV diagnosis it's a self-offending post in terms of striking intellectual underperforming. Or is it about running barefoot?]

So what's it about? Restricting citations is good. Killing a moderator is bad.

Medical textbooks say I should be dead since April 2002.
Dum spiro spero. Smiley
Narcissm is the humans primary disease.

IP Logged

ghenghisclown
God Member

Pedicare Vestri Latin

Reply #12 - 05/13/12 at 07:53:01
Post Tools
Matemax, I will answer you in the moderation thread.

IP Logged

Matemax
God Member

Chesspub gives you strength!

Reply #11 - 05/13/12 at 07:43:23
Post Tools
ghenghisclown wrote on 05/13/12 at 07:35:33:
Hey Markovich, what happened to the rule that said you're not entitled to give offence back when you have been offended?

Don't kick someone already on the floor  Sad - give him a chance to stand up again. Wink

IP Logged

ghenghisclown
God Member

Pedicare Vestri Latin

Reply #10 - 05/13/12 at 07:35:33
Post Tools
Hey Markovich, what happened to the rule that said you're not entitled to give offense back when you have been offended?

By the way, I have argued that one (normally) has a right to answer one's detractors, not a right to offend people. Of course, strictly speaking, no one has a right to do anything on here - it's private space.

Basically, what's going on here is you're actually deeply annoyed with a lot of posters on Chesspub. This is affecting how you moderate. Your personal likes and dislikes are not a good basis for moderating, deletion, censorship, or consistency.

IP Logged

proustiskeen
God Member

Hello from Omaha!

Reply #9 - 05/13/12 at 00:13:05
Post Tools
Unnecessary... but also unnecessarily passive-aggressive.

You do a good job, Markovich, but a thick skin is needed to be a moderator.  More than that, you need to be 'better' than those whose posts you moderate.  Why sink to the level of the cretins whose posts warrant deletion?

I'd ask that you reconsider your decision, and that Tony not accept your resignation. 

Markovich wrote on 05/12/12 at 21:09:47:
OK, I herewith resign my role as a moderator in these forums. 

Best to all.

IP Logged

Viceroy

Reply #8 - 05/12/12 at 23:32:22
Post Tools
Tony Kosten,

I guess that means we will have to start looking for Moderators again

here's a tip: make sure they understand the difference between moderate and dominate.

Dogs like to urinate in an indiscriminate manner to mark out their territory; some forum members here like to do the same with their posts: ensure the new mod does not display such a canine tendency.

IP Logged

GMTonyKosten
YaBB Administrator

Mr Dynamic?

Reply #7 - 05/12/12 at 23:11:01
Post Tools
Markovich wrote on 05/12/12 at 21:09:47:
OK, I herewith resign my role as a moderator in these forums.

That's a pity, I guess that means we will have to start looking for Moderators again. Sad

IP Logged

GMTonyKosten
YaBB Administrator

Mr Dynamic?

Reply #6 - 05/12/12 at 22:02:16
Post Tools
barnaby wrote on 05/12/12 at 04:05:47:
OCD.

This is not really appropriate for this Forum, what makes you think you can just insult moderators?

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 [2] 3 
Topic Tools
Bookmarks: del.icio.us Digg Facebook Google Google+ Linked in reddit StumbleUpon Twitter Yahoo