Latest Updates:
Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2 
Topic Tools
Very Hot Topic (More than 25 Replies) How do I block someone? (Read 17314 times)
Jupp53
God Member

be

Re: How do I block someone?
Reply #27 - 07/15/13 at 11:09:30
Post Tools
Today I was thinking: Oh Lord, were's the ignore button? And the reason was NOT something I would consider as a personal attack against someone.

Next thought was about learning theory. The best way to delete a behavior is giving no feedback, aka staying really silent. So if you want someone not to post here the best way is to let things go without any response. The problem is getting annoyed and feeling the need to express this. So you have to decide which is better: Answering and expressing the anger about .... (insert what annoys you) and giving positive reinforcement to the person with the critcs (s/he's noticed by the answer) or learning to keep calm in such a situation.

Then remembering the criteria of right speaking while going the eightfold path I came to the personal conclusion: Sometimes it's useful to correct an error politely in a post, sometimes there are personal mails the better way, sometimes it's just shut it.

I see no need to exclude someone from being read here if he tries to act in the spirit of the forum, even if s/he makes me crazy. It's not my task to change someone else. There's enough to do with changing myself.

Medical textbooks say I should be dead since April 2002.
Dum spiro spero. Smiley
Narcissm is the humans primary disease.

IP Logged

Smyslov_Fan
YaBB Moderator
Correspondence fan

Progress depends on the
unreasonable man. ~GBS

Reply #26 - 06/19/12 at 20:58:19
Post Tools
I was just reading some comments in the general forum.

Someone said another member was wrong. The first poster got very upset and took that as a personal attack.

Saying that someone is wrong is NOT a personal attack.

This is a great community of chess players. We don't need a blocking function in the forums. We do need a bit of circumspection.

IP Logged

Smyslov_Fan
YaBB Moderator
Correspondence fan

Progress depends on the
unreasonable man. ~GBS

Reply #25 - 06/19/12 at 13:50:57
Post Tools
This is a forum, not a live chat room. The rules are quite different from ICC for some excellent reasons. Every single comment is read by moderators here.

Please be patient with us. I read the comments about once every 24 hours. If you believe a comment in one of the threads I moderate needs to be censored, please send me a private message. I will almost always review the comment within 24 hours.
« Last Edit: 06/19/12 at 21:01:17 by Smyslov_Fan »  

IP Logged

ghenghisclown
God Member

Pedicare Vestri Latin

Reply #24 - 06/18/12 at 21:46:16
Post Tools
I don't think any of those concerns are applicable here.

I'm not against putting that ability here on Chesspub, but I just think it's dumb, to put it mildly. If you think about it for a minute, you'd realize it would encourage the wrong kind of attitude and prevent people from agreeing (in future threads) on different issues who previously were at each other's throats, as it were...

"Experience is a dim lamp, which only lights the one who bears it."

IP Logged

Gilchrist is a legend
God Member

Reply #23 - 06/18/12 at 20:28:02
Post Tools
Obviously not something so innocuous such as Happy Birthday, but if a user simply wants to not see another's posts for some reason. Similar to the +noplay command on ICC; it usually is not to prevent the user from playing a cheater, but someone who for example, the user does not want to play for other reasons, for example the lack of rematch offerings, or has lag of 500000 ms, etc. Both +noplay and +censor do not require a moderator.

Creo lo que creo no importa lo que creen los demás.

IP Logged

ghenghisclown
God Member

Pedicare Vestri Latin

Reply #22 - 06/18/12 at 19:13:14
Post Tools
Gilchrist is a legend wrote on 06/18/12 at 06:31:59:
Still, if a user does not want to see another's posts if they are not deleted by moderators, there should be a method, such as +censor on ICC, to prevent one from seeing another user's posts completely. The +censor command on ICC blocks all forms of communication from censored users without the need of an administrator.

That's pretty R-word. Let's say I'm saying Happy Birthday to someone on here - so someone else who blocks me doesn't wanna see that? Think about the maturity of that function.

IP Logged

Gilchrist is a legend
God Member

Reply #21 - 06/18/12 at 06:31:59
Post Tools
ghenghisclown wrote on 06/05/12 at 02:31:16:
Users can already block PM's from selected members. There's no need to do anything else as the moderators are watching posts.

Still, if a user does not want to see another's posts if they are not deleted by moderators, there should be a method, such as +censor on ICC, to prevent one from seeing another user's posts completely. The +censor command on ICC blocks all forms of communication from censored users without the need of an administrator.

IP Logged

Jay

Reply #20 - 06/15/12 at 21:47:34
Post Tools
TK,  I hope you weren't referencing me avoiding the main site.  I may be on the cusp of subscribing again, but I really don't know when I would be able to view the general site.  Does the general site work well on a cell phone browser?  As it is I have to juggle cell phone browser software depending on whether I want to view some inline PGN or post a message.  I think I have settled int 1.d4 thanks to avrukh.

Still both sides of the site are great. 

I would change some things if I had my way, but I couldn't guarantee my ideas would generate more revenue.  Some examples: I still think there ought to be a non-opening specific section aimed at coaching the improving player.  I also like the audible.com subscription method although I don't know if it could be implemented here.  Each month you get a certain number of credits which you can use on the various sections this month.  So if I get 3 credits, I may consistently use one or two on my pet systems, but I may use the 3rd to float until I settle on a section more permanently.  Basically the site would need to remember which months you chose which sections.

IP Logged

ghenghisclown
God Member

Pedicare Vestri Latin

Reply #19 - 06/05/12 at 02:31:16
Post Tools
Users can already block PM's from selected members. There's no need to do anything else as the moderators are watching posts.

IP Logged

Gilchrist is a legend
God Member

Reply #18 - 06/04/12 at 21:56:09
Post Tools
Is there a method for the Administrator to create a new forum action for each member to be allowed to block certain users?
« Last Edit: 06/04/12 at 23:03:40 by Gilchrist is a legend »  

IP Logged

GMTonyKosten
YaBB Administrator

Mr Dynamic?

Reply #17 - 05/23/12 at 10:00:45
Post Tools
proustiskeen wrote on 05/22/12 at 23:56:40:
Do you need to delegate approval of new users to someone?  Surely you can't be getting that many requests now that you've put some roadblocks in.

I don't think that I can delegate this, as far as I am aware only the Administrator can delete members. Now we are not getting many requests, which is fine by me, but when it was open to everyone we were getting up to 50 per day.

IP Logged

proustiskeen
God Member

Hello from Omaha!

Reply #16 - 05/22/12 at 23:56:40
Post Tools
Do you need to delegate approval of new users to someone?  Surely you can't be getting that many requests now that you've put some roadblocks in.

IP Logged

GMTonyKosten
YaBB Administrator

Mr Dynamic?

Reply #15 - 05/22/12 at 13:41:23
Post Tools
Zwischenzugzwang wrote on 05/21/12 at 12:57:23:
A slightly strange, but innovative way of attracting new customers ...  Wink

Well, I know you are joking but the real reason was to stop all the spammers and trolls joining (many hundreds every week) which I then had to delete ... and also I thought we should have a higher proportion of Subscribers here - there have been too many posts which seem to ignore the material on the main site. Angry

IP Logged

Zwischenzugzwang

I Love ChessPublishing
& chess pubs!

Reply #14 - 05/21/12 at 12:57:23
Post Tools
A slightly strange, but innovative way of attracting new customers ...  Wink

What do people mean when they say "Chess is the pawn of the soul"?

IP Logged

GMTonyKosten
YaBB Administrator

Mr Dynamic?

Reply #13 - 05/21/12 at 11:46:31
Post Tools
Gilchrist is a legend wrote on 05/20/12 at 23:41:57:
I thought a subscription is not required to join the forum?

It wasn't, but it is now.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2 
Topic Tools
Bookmarks: del.icio.us Digg Facebook Google Google+ Linked in reddit StumbleUpon Twitter Yahoo