Latest Updates:
Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2 
Topic Tools
Hot Topic (More than 10 Replies) Fyfe Gambit (The Reboot) (Read 15767 times)
trw
YaBB Moderator

I Love ChessPublishing!

Re: Fyfe Gambit (The Reboot)
Reply #18 - 06/27/12 at 23:50:55
Post Tools
Hadron wrote on 06/27/12 at 21:33:32:
I no longer have use for this thread and I have written to the esteemed moderator to lock it and or delete it.

I have received no such pm but will lock the thread in accordance with your wishes.
« Last Edit: 07/02/12 at 00:24:53 by trw »  
IP Logged

Markovich
God Member

Reply #17 - 06/27/12 at 22:27:49
Post Tools
My name is not Moss.  I am known here as Markovich.  What I said was meant to be funny; it wasn't particularly about you, only about people afflicted by the dread disease I mentioned.  It's not my fault that you exhibit some of the symptoms.

I do expect, however, to report some of my findings, pertinent to Gambit Psychosis, in an upcoming edition of the New England Journal of Medicine.

The Great Oz has spoken!

IP Logged

Hadron

Doctor, Doctor, Doctor..When
will you ever learn?

Reply #16 - 06/27/12 at 21:33:32
Post Tools
Personally I don't know why it is has become so difficult to simply ask for any old analysis and games without people claiming that I am this, that or the other thing....Sure I admit I don't like boring chess but it is these people drawing the clearly false distinction that because I don't like boring chess, I am some sort of gambit addict....ah...no....This premise assumes that that all non-boring games are only played with gambits and that is clearly not the case, case in point, the Najdorf.
So MnB, [Edited] and his attempts at playing Sigmund Freud are about as biased and flawed as your attempts to support him.....
I am not interested in getting into philosphical debates any more, it is about as boring as the London Opening but I really did not expect to recieve such unsolicited vitriol and banal replies for such a simple question especially from so called long time members of this site so since the one sensible post I did recieve has provided information I no longer have use for this thread and I have written to the esteemed moderator to lock it and or delete it.
« Last Edit: 07/02/12 at 00:24:02 by trw »  

I'm reminded again of something Short wrote recently, approximately "The biggest fallacy in chess is the quasi-religious belief in the primacy of the opening."

IP Logged

PANFR

I Love ChessPublishing!

Reply #15 - 06/27/12 at 14:10:12
Post Tools
Yet another instance of the so-called Gambo Variations. Zappa misspelled it, being a chess illiterate.

IP Logged

MNb
God Member

Rudolf Spielmann forever

Reply #14 - 06/27/12 at 13:58:13
Post Tools
Hadron wrote on 06/27/12 at 11:16:52:
there is a slight flaw in your rational,

Actually this is a flaw in the rational of gambit addicts, not in Markovich'.

The book had the effect good books usually have: it made the stupids more stupid, the intelligent more intelligent and the other thousands of readers remained unchanged.
GC Lichtenberg

IP Logged

Hadron

will you ever learn?

Reply #13 - 06/27/12 at 11:16:52
Post Tools
Markovich wrote on 06/27/12 at 02:30:42:
A key symptom of Gambit Psychosis is the belief that chess played other than in gambit fashion is boring.

Well Sigmund Freud, thank you for your expert diagnosis but as I see it, besides not even saying this or even infering (so I really don't know where you got it from), there is a slight flaw in your rational, not all sharp openings are gambits. A couple that spring to mind are the Kere’s attack and the Najdorf variation, both from the Sicilian Defence and both which I have tried during my playing life time.
As for the rest of your self indulgent hubris driven diatribe, not interested in feeding trolls.

barnaby wrote on 06/27/12 at 03:41:41:
As opposed to the 'Esserman strategy' which is to beat people rated 2700 plus with their gambit ideas and then publish a book based upon their efforts, in which he states he hopes the gambit not being accepted becomes the main line as this itself is strong evidence of the gambit's viability.

Ooooook…..

Stefan Buecker wrote on 06/26/12 at 10:09:48:

Hadron wrote on 06/26/12 at 01:03:30:
As for using Google, I have tried this and have find out a number of things about Fyfe the man ( In that he was quite a strong player for his time) but nothing about his idea.

Try Google Books.

This is the only sensible suggestion I have received that has actually born fruit, I have managed to find some analysis in Chess Openings, Ancient and Modern by Freeborough. So again I thank you for your assistance.

HTH

I'm reminded again of something Short wrote recently, approximately "The biggest fallacy in chess is the quasi-religious belief in the primacy of the opening."

IP Logged

Stefan Buecker
God Member

Reply #12 - 06/27/12 at 11:06:36
Post Tools
Sorry Hadron, only three hits on http://www.britishnewspaperarchive.co.uk/ for "Fyfe Gambit", so I guess it isn't worth the GBP 6.95 to get these pages.

IP Logged

barnaby

The night is dark and
full of terrors.

Reply #11 - 06/27/12 at 03:41:41
Post Tools
As opposed to the 'Esserman strategy' which is to beat people rated 2700 plus with their gambit ideas and then publish a book based upon their efforts, in which he states he hopes the gambit not being accepted becomes the main line as this itself is strong evidence of the gambit's viability.

Smiley

IP Logged

Markovich
God Member

Reply #10 - 06/27/12 at 02:30:42
Post Tools
A key symptom of Gambit Psychosis is the belief that chess played other than in gambit fashion is boring. The disease first manifests itself as a mild reluctance to tackle new sorts of positions; proceeds through a period of rationalization during which an "ideology" of gambit play is constructed; reaches an advaced state marked clock-slamming, exclusive concentration on speed chess, muttering in corners, and contempt for players not similarly afflicted; and terminates in utter madness relieved only occasionally by periods of partial lucidity, typically spent posting confrontational messages in internet chess fora.

The Great Oz has spoken!

IP Logged

Stefan Buecker
God Member

Reply #9 - 06/26/12 at 10:09:48
Post Tools
The British Library is on the other side of the planet from where I reside and while I am interested in the historical aspect of Fyfe's idea, I am not that interested.

So you are lazy.  Grin

Maybe there is a town in your area, with a public bus system or something? Large towns often have public libraries. Some of those have online access to the British Library, if they can afford their "newspaper packages" (they are not cheap).

As for using Google, I have tried this and have find out a number of things about Fyfe the man ( In that he was quite a strong player for his time) but nothing about his idea.

Try Google Books.

IP Logged

Hadron

will you ever learn?

Reply #8 - 06/26/12 at 01:43:54
Post Tools
PANFR wrote on 06/25/12 at 23:10:43:
Look man, I am not five years old, but I do have trouble understanding what "sporofic chess" is. Do you mean soporific?
Anyway- my feeling is that anyone insterested in such "gambits" or "suckrifices" or call-it-as-you-like-it, is not for chess in general- not just "sporofic chess".

**sigh** There is one in every crowd...Did I not suggest that taking your time to tell me or in your case, inferring it directly that Fyfe's idea was crap was a waste of time and yet....you did it anyway.

Do you have anything sensible to say?....Anyone?
HTH
Smiley
Oh and one last thing before you try and bolster your point with trying to correct someone else’s spelling, check your own…“insterested”…really??... Shocked

IP Logged

Hadron

will you ever learn?

Reply #7 - 06/26/12 at 01:03:30
Post Tools
Stefan Buecker wrote on 06/25/12 at 23:42:55:
BleepBleep wrote on 06/25/12 at 16:25:48:
Hadron, I think you need to get out more.

He means you should visit the British Library. Or use Google.

Maestro, thank you for your input. The British Library is on the other side of the planet from where I reside and while I am interested in the historical aspect of Fyfe's idea, I am not that interested. As for using Google, I have tried this and have find out a number of things about Fyfe the man ( In that he was quite a strong player for his time) but nothing about his idea. But never the less, thank you for your time.
HTH
Wink

IP Logged

Stefan Buecker
God Member

Reply #6 - 06/25/12 at 23:42:55
Post Tools
BleepBleep wrote on 06/25/12 at 16:25:48:
Hadron, I think you need to get out more.

He means you should visit the British Library. Or use Google.

IP Logged

PANFR

I Love ChessPublishing!

Reply #5 - 06/25/12 at 23:10:43
Post Tools
Look man, I am not five years old, but I do have trouble understanding what "sporofic chess" is. Do you mean soporific?
Anyway- my feeling is that anyone insterested in such "gambits" or "suckrifices" or call-it-as-you-like-it, is not for chess in general- not just "sporofic chess".

IP Logged

Hadron

will you ever learn?

Reply #4 - 06/25/12 at 22:39:18
Post Tools
PANFR wrote on 06/25/12 at 19:13:59:
I believe that the Bin Laden gambit (1.e4 d5 2.Nh3) is a better choice.

What!?...are you like 5 years old (See above)

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2 
Topic Tools
Bookmarks: del.icio.us Digg Facebook Google Google+ Linked in reddit StumbleUpon Twitter Yahoo